Football Manager TV: Matchday

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Santa Claus said:

Should we be worried that during that long shot goal replay at 5:26 text commentary starts to flash before the ball has actually crossed the line? :lol: 

you've obviously missed the new feature. as of FM18 the commentators actually have anticipation attribute. but that is not all! Commentators have been updated with words per minute stat and tactical awareness! And for the first time we have a plethora of commentators. Different stations will have different pundits and, depending on their attributes, you'll have more or less commentary and perhaps an advice on tactics as well!

Edited by MBarbaric

Well i have to say, the over-emphasizing on interface changes in these videos for the past few editions of the game seems to show that SI don't have many new feature ideas to add, and keep emphasizing all the time how x (which was already in the game) is now easier to see or on a different location of the screen.

I mean we had skins with interface changes and/or improvements since 2005, how is this something that needs to be mentioned again and again?

44 minutes ago, Lobaeux4 said:

Something makes me think that it doesn’t matter what SI does, some people aren’t going to be impressed or happy.  

That is because FM is a game with strong community, its what builds them. 

It seems like they focus on interface each FM, instead of adding features that people want (read the wishlist) like hands on player development, more in depth training programs, dynamic potential (PAs) and etc. Im quiet dissapointed

Haven't seen anything that would make me buy the game.

I see a lot of work has gone into new features - and that's great - but nothing regarding the area of the game that I feel needs improving the most - more detailed & varied options for the defensive phase, and the negative transition.

Purchased a subscription to Netflix instead to keep me busy for the year ahead - until FM19 is announced...

i really haven't see anything that is significant in terms of AI and Match Engine upgrades.

So far everything just looks like a re-skin and nothing much. 

Where is the training system changes, Dynamic potentials, transitions, AI, Match Engine? still waiting though...

Really picky,

But,

Why on earth are the dugouts so long? It looks ridiculous, I want the technical area to look good! As we are "managers" ;) 

On the whole though! Looks very good! Bring on the beta.

Guest El Payaso
5 hours ago, apvmoreira said:

A lot of complaining about team talks, pre match stuff and alike stuff. Am i the only one that see this is actual football? Everyday, the manager says something to the players, every game has a press conference, every game, the manager talks in the locker room, why so much fuss about it? FM is simulating real football, so lets have it has it is!

Exactly and I highly doubt that any of these features will be too time consuming as we have never seen those kind of features so far and how SI designs things they are not going to change that as the real fanatics wanting to play the game in super realistic way are not the majority. While I'm not one of those players who delegate everything in the game to their staff, holiday between games and watch games on key highlights, it's not like SI is going to abandon them. 

Really encouraged so far and don't remember the last time when I've been waiting for new FM so eagerly. It's mainly been positive so far in terms of features. 

3 hours ago, aditya said:

That is because FM is a game with strong community, its what builds them. 

It seems like they focus on interface each FM, instead of adding features that people want (read the wishlist) like hands on player development, more in depth training programs, dynamic potential (PAs) and etc. Im quiet dissapointed

They can't please everyone, not everyone wants the same new features or existing areas focussed on.

Dynamic potential doesn't make sense for one thing. What needs improving is more variation in how players can develop. Something like that isn't likely to be mentioned in a video but it doesn't mean that area of the game hasn't had any improvements made to it.

Obviously this year there was a massive focus on the analysis side of the game, and rightly so. I assume its due to the amount of people who come here every year because they don't know their tactics don't work for whatever reason or complain about the amount of random injuries. 

Plus, making the graphical side of things a bit more modern doesn't hurt. I read an article yesterday that popped up on my home screen, Miles said there was a major push on the interface this year because, well, attention spans are a lot less than they used to be. This is the year of FM sacrificing some new features they might want to put in, to bring the interface and graphics up to something more on par with what they playerbase would want. 

I doubt the upgrade to dx11 would have been cheap, so yeah the graphics might look similar at the moment but they have more potential now. 

57 minutes ago, monkeywool said:

Obviously this year there was a massive focus on the analysis side of the game, and rightly so. I assume its due to the amount of people who come here every year because they don't know their tactics don't work for whatever reason or complain about the amount of random injuries. 

Plus, making the graphical side of things a bit more modern doesn't hurt. I read an article yesterday that popped up on my home screen, Miles said there was a major push on the interface this year because, well, attention spans are a lot less than they used to be. This is the year of FM sacrificing some new features they might want to put in, to bring the interface and graphics up to something more on par with what they playerbase would want. 

I doubt the upgrade to dx11 would have been cheap, so yeah the graphics might look similar at the moment but they have more potential now. 

Not just that. Most features take more than one edition to be done, and these all have to planned in advance 

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Feriboy2 said:

my video card only supports directx 10. does that mean i won't be able to watch the matches in 3D?

As long as your GPU meets minimum specifications you'll be able to view matches in 3D. 

1 minute ago, DP said:

Will there be an announcement on whether there have been any changes at all in the match engine? Or is it exactly the same as 17? With just the graphical overlay changing?

There are changes in the ME every year. One of the reasons there are match videos coming out will no doubt be to show of some of the improvements.

5 hours ago, monkeywool said:

Plus, making the graphical side of things a bit more modern doesn't hurt. I read an article yesterday that popped up on my home screen, Miles said there was a major push on the interface this year because, well, attention spans are a lot less than they used to be.

It's not only attention spans. We're also living in the age of instant gratification. I don't really mean that as a dig or anything, I want SI to stay in business, and genuinelly think there is demand for something more closer to this, plus layers of difficulty. "FM Zero" may tone down AI managers to the level to where they download their tactics from Whatsapp, and not engage in much of the in-game management anymore. No more late comebacks thus, dynamic shifts at HT as the AI had changed their formations and shape, or pushes for much closer 2nd legged Cup ties, as after a lose in the first tie, the AI would just capitulate as any England international team embarking on another tournament summer since 1966. Okay, that was now bits of joking, but long-term... it's the only way I can see "difficulties" working, ditto assistants being able to take over anything and you still being pretty much much guaranteed to come out finer than Carlo Ancelotti this season when going on "holidays" (only that's been in for years already in some shape, and few have picked up on it, mind).

In the same interview Miles also implied that they had toned down on long-term injuries. The probability of really suffering from long-time injuries with your average squad on this is pretty low. We're talking a combined setup of database/research + injury balancing where Borussia Dortmund get reported as some sort of bug, as they start with half a dozen first squad members players out thanks to research, which is a rather rare occurance out of a simulated save. That the game tends to list all combined injuries at the club depending on where you look, rather than "just" first team injuries, adds to a few "unfortunate" perceptions. Liked the bits where he talked about the needs of more transparency / better feedback in that piece. That can be a challenge for anyone, no least because the engine and much of it are always going to be a black-box of kinds, and FM has developed its vocabulary and speech, the degree of which might not be immediately apparent if you've worked on this ever since Nirvana broke up. I am still curious about the screens that show a red warning box behind defend duties in central midfield, however, whilst behind support duties, it's all green. If that discourages players from fielding such duties, and if the match guys haven't reworked how support duties opperate, that could become fairly interesting, imo. :)

Edited by Svenc

I'm generally wary of the Sky Sportsification of FM.

Definitely appreciate any and all improvements to the graphics engine, but telling me how many screens I'm going to have to click through to get in and out of one match in a 38-game season in a decade-long save isn't heartening. The "matchday experience" isn't that important to me; the match is.

One of the reasons FM has been successful on an international scale is it's been a simple, clear abstraction of a sport that is played, celebrated, and presented in different ways in different cultures all over the world. The slow grind towards the laddish, bloviating "analysis" of the EPL leaves me cold. It's already annoying that press conferences and tunnel interviews and other "dialogue options" in the game reflect the language and culture of a vaguely anti-intellectual English tradition rather than something savvier and more international. Now that's creeping into everything, even the way features are unveiled.

3 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

Definitely appreciate any and all improvements to the graphics engine, but telling me how many screens I'm going to have to click through to get in and out of one match in a 38-game season in a decade-long save isn't heartening. The "matchday experience" isn't that important to me; the match is.

One of the reasons FM has been successful on an international scale is it's been a simple, clear abstraction of a sport that is played, celebrated, and presented in different ways in different cultures all over the world. The slow grind towards the laddish, bloviating "analysis" of the EPL leaves me cold. It's already annoying that press conferences and tunnel interviews and other "dialogue options" in the game reflect the language and culture of a vaguely anti-intellectual English tradition rather than something savvier and more international. Now that's creeping into everything, even the way features are unveiled.

Interesting. If this 'international' that you speak about is so 'intellectual' maybe you can point me in the direction of manager games that are coming out of other countries?

Of course SI wont make changes that appeal to everyone, and some will like things more than others. That's life

I know posters on here are saying they will leave 18, and go to 19 or whatever, but it would make more sense to play the demo first before you decide that.  Get a hands on feel of what the ME feels like, how the game plays etc rather than watch a video, notice that they haven't mentioned something you wanted and then complain?

Just my 2 cents

4 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

This is an interesting post. Given that FM is produced in England, which is also the “home of football,” I think it’s understandable that FM is quite “Anglo-centric,” which is a criticism that I’ve seen raised on here in the past as well. I’m not sure I agree that FM has been notably successful on an international scale – I believe, although I could be wrong, that the majority of sales come from within the UK, which would also impact on the style of the feature announcements.  Of course you could also make the argument that worldwide popularity could be increased with a more “savvy and international” style, like you mentioned, and I would agree with this.

I think we are on the same page because I would love for every country in the game you can manage in to offer at least one unique thing, and for most countries and cultures to have multiple outlets across all areas of the game. What I would be interested in hearing is what sorts of things you have in mind that would address the issue?

I would anticipate it being a contentious point, because the very thing I think you and I are in favour of  - a more international and globalised portrayal of football – is something that you can see resistance to in our everyday lives as football fans. One obvious example: Is it Football or Soccer?

Extending that example to an in-game situation – suppose you are managing in the MLS. Personally I think that the word “football” shouldn’t really be appearing. Similarly, shouldn’t the in-match commentary bar forgo the typical English idioms in favour of silly phrases like “upper-90,” “great solo,” “PK,” “Naked in the middle,” etc.? Or perhaps the crowd take any opportunity to burst out into a “U S A!” chant? Perhaps this is a horrible stereotype on my part, but the national anthem being played before every match could be another example, but I’m guessing.

A couple of versions ago there was that burger van that was EVERYWHERE. Despite being a cool addition in its own right, it was kind of an immersion breaker because the pre-game burger ritual is mainly an England/UK tradition. It would be better to see “sanduiche de calabresa” in Brazil, “bratwurst” in Germany, and so on (according to the internet.)

The points about “Sky Sportsification” and “anti-intellectuals” don’t make that much sense to an unsophisticated homme-de-terre like moi, but I think I agree with your overall point. Hopefully the increased stadium detail will lead to some great improvements to the immersion of playing in different countries, in terms of things like stadium styles and outside scenery. If the sounds can go hand in hand with those improvements then that would be a massive upgrade for me.

First one of these I've watched, much prefer the new edition to be driven by my own experiences rather than anything else.  Good thing too, because the guy they're getting to do these has a delivery I really don't like.  Not really sure they didn't just get Miles to do it, although having said that, his delivery seems to have gotten a lot more stilted when compared to the videos he did a few years back.  

Not that it really matters.  It's good that they're doing these videos, and it has generated hype and buzz for those that wanted it.  The proof will be in the game though.

5 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

Welcome to football.  It's not really an FM problem, more a problem on the sport as a whole.  For a great example, go visit the Bleacher Report World Football stream on the app for a million examples of top bantz.  Unfortunately, that's what sells now.  But that's what we want, eh lads?  Lads?  Bants.

8 minutes ago, grade said:

Is it my impression or the design of standard kits has changed? Can we have some sort of confirmation or is kind of thing that we need to wait for the beta?

They look slimmer and longer than previous editions

8 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

"I've kept you waiting long enough, so now it's time to show you some match footage that looks identical to each and every one of the previous 5 releases"

Like in match of the day?

1 minute ago, KUBI said:

Like in match of the day?

As a mod I can understand your defence of the franchise, but I can't defend a video that talks of significant improvements then shows me a product identical to the ones I already own.

Just now, rdbayly said:

As a mod I can understand your defence of the franchise, but I can't defend a video that talks of significant improvements then shows me a product identical to the ones I already own.

It's more than one video about the new game and there will be a demo version that will show you the difference between the two versions. 

Just now, KUBI said:

It's more than one video about the new game and there will be a demo version that will show you the difference between the two versions. 

I'll say right now I'll be buying the game either way. 700 hours on FM17 tells you that. I just don't get some of decisions made when producing these videos.

Why talk about new lighting and textures, but show 3D footage that looks no better to what we have had for years? Why not show an example of low / med / high graphics so users get a glimpse of what the game will look like on their PC?

Why hype up being able to give team-talks to areas of the team / individuals when we have had this option for years? Nearly all of the dialogue is literally the same; word for word.

I hope you can appreciate where I am coming from.

There will be more match 3-D footage to come. Did you see the difference in stadiums and  lighting? There is also a new tactical briefing before the match. Those videos are not in-depth, just teasing. The demo or beta will be show you more.

6 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Why talk about new lighting and textures, but show 3D footage that looks no better to what we have had for years? Why not show an example of low / med / high graphics so users get a glimpse of what the game will look like on their PC?

that is not really fair. stadiums and distant objects look much better than what we have. The action on the pitch really isn't that much different but I think new engin will move the things forward. 

I agree on team talks and pre match team talks though. From what we have seen in videos, team talk doesn't look that different at all. Pre match talk is far worst in my opinion as chosing formation and team instructions is presented as another feature. Thankfully, we already had an option to chose formation and TI's so really can't understand how that counts as any feature. Unless I missed something in those videos :D

On 10/20/2017 at 12:12, kandersson said:

One thing that didn't look very promising to me was the AM feedback/advice example: basically his analysis is 'hey we're winning headers, so pump the ball into box, cross early and float crosses'. I don't know, I was hoping for some more thoughtful feedback here, I'm afraid I'll just have to keep ignoring AM as always.

i don't get that AM advice either. if we're winning headers, that's because my central defenders are doing a great job. i can't pump the ball into the box like my AM suggests because my central defenders are not my strikers. and what if i have a short striker (like aguero for example)? 

7 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

that is not really fair. stadiums and distant objects look much better than what we have. The action on the pitch really isn't that much different but I think new engin will move the things forward. 

I agree on team talks and pre match team talks though. From what we have seen in videos, team talk doesn't look that different at all. Pre match talk is far worst in my opinion as chosing formation and team instructions is presented as another feature. Thankfully, we already had an option to chose formation and TI's so really can't understand how that counts as any feature. Unless I missed something in those videos :D

I stand by my graphics point. Just fire up FM17 and view some highlights. They look better in every respect than the action in this feature video.

I produce promotional material as part of my job. A fanatical user base doesn't miss a trick, and I'd be very wary of using language such as "significant improvements" and "Complete overhaul" unless I could back it up in the video. Most of what I see is widgets moved around the screen containing information that is already available. 

39 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I stand by my graphics point. Just fire up FM17 and view some highlights. They look better in every respect than the action in this feature video.

I produce promotional material as part of my job. A fanatical user base doesn't miss a trick, and I'd be very wary of using language such as "significant improvements" and "Complete overhaul" unless I could back it up in the video. Most of what I see is widgets moved around the screen containing information that is already available. 

agree with this part. bordering on insult. however, graphics engine is a significant improvement, no doubt about it. Maybe it is less evident on the pitch and players, but anything in distance looks way better.

On 20/10/2017 at 19:22, apvmoreira said:

A lot of complaining about team talks, pre match stuff and alike stuff. Am i the only one that see this is actual football? Everyday, the manager says something to the players, every game has a press conference, every game, the manager talks in the locker room, why so much fuss about it? FM is simulating real football, so lets have it has it is!

Don't like it? FMT

Already bought the game, but with this, im gonna put some vacations days, sorry boss!

I completely agree. Communication is a key element IRL, not just for football, but for every aspect of our lives.

I see people complaining about the level of complexity of the game, with all the medical center infos and the improved interations with the players and the media, saying that it'll take us more time to play the game than before. But this is the way to go, if not, it wouldn't be a better simulation every year.

Consider this: with the level of reality of the game increasing every year, why should it take us the same or less time to get things done as in FM11, or FM09 or even CM 01/02? I mean, if more reality is what we want, there's no way it'll be simpler and faster than the previous ones.

I'm not saying here that this is the state of the art football simulation. Of course not. For example, I just hope that they have included a lot of different things to say to the players, so it won't get boring fast, specially considering the context (as it's actually said in the video).

But again, like it was said, don't want this level of realism? FMT.

Edited by Paulo191

3 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

agree with this part. bordering on insult. however, graphics engine is a significant improvement, no doubt about it. Maybe it is less evident on the pitch and players, but anything in distance looks way better.

When you say everything in the distance looks better, do you mean outside the stadium.  Things outside the stadium don't really interest me and with the camera angle I use I can't see them anyway.

Some of the stadiums look good, others not so good, as i have mentioned previously the stair wells look massive, look at any pictures or videos of stadiums and you won't see steps this wide, and whats with the doors at the top of the stairs, looks like they should be in a cinema rather than a fotball stadium.  Also some of the floodlights look poor.  I have just played a match on FM16, and while the texturing may not be as good the stadiums look more realistic

13 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

You by any chance know that in Portugal there are more than 25 hours of debate and analysis about the games, per week? And in all those there is always more than 2/3 of the time to analyse the mistakes of refs and players?

Press conferences are all over the place, and tunnel interviews? In Brazil you can see the radio guys next to the bench talking with the managers!! Now that would be a great addition to FM!!

It's not British, it's not English, its worlwide.

5 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Maybe they have showed the graphics with minimum specs? LAst year the graphs where also blurry, but in game i have great detail all over the pitch.

4 hours ago, apvmoreira said:

Maybe they have showed the graphics with minimum specs? LAst year the graphs where also blurry, but in game i have great detail all over the pitch.

Sure, this may be the case. I just don't get the rationale. Watch any game advert and you see the product showcased at its best. What makes FM any different?

18 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

This is a really good point. There's an opportunity for SI to actually rise above the "top bantz" which mean very little to an international audience and are probably awkwardly translated. Or just drop these tedious Q&As that don't seem to make much difference and don't give you many options anyway.

35 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Sure, this may be the case. I just don't get the rationale. Watch any game advert and you see the product showcased at its best. What makes FM any different?

It's knowing your user base. FM gamers have never really been your typical gamers. Many play on machines that are min spec for the titles. They've always shown what the base user would get as a minimum. Same reason why there has rarely ever been a massive leap in minimum requirements 

11 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's knowing your user base. FM gamers have never really been your typical gamers. Many play on machines that are min spec for the titles. They've always shown what the base user would get as a minimum. Same reason why there has rarely ever been a massive leap in minimum requirements 

Well let's take your user base point and expand on it. To cater for the entire user base - Show a few screenshots / footage of what low, med & high 3D graphics will look like. That way we all get to see what it will look like on our systems regardless of PC specs.