Game 1 - France VS Romania (10/06/2016 8pm)

Baptista_8

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Opening matches can be a bit dull sometimes. What has been the best opening match of a tournament you can remember?

Germany-Costa Rica? Didn't that finish like 4-2 and had two unbelievable long shot goals from Lahm and Frings(?)

Think that's a bit harsh...both teams have had opportunities in that half and both could have scored...it's just the goals that have been missing, the chances have been there.

There have been a few half chances but the general play isn't great. Giroud's header and Griezmann's effort, plus a couple of Romanian chances from corners. Teams are too scared to lose the opening game, and I'm not sure the format this tournament particularly rewards adventurous sides - it could be a pretty dull group stage imo.

There have been a few half chances but the general play isn't great. Giroud's header and Griezmann's effort, plus a couple of Romanian chances from corners. Teams are too scared to lose the opening game, and I'm not sure the format this tournament particularly rewards adventurous sides - it could be a pretty dull group stage imo.
I said similar to colleagues about the opening two group games - I think they'll be tight and teams will aim for a draw at least from those, especially lesser teams who know 2 draws could get them through...I can see the 3rd games in the groups being decent though, as some of the teams will know even a win at that point will get them through, so at least the games might open up then. I think this game has been okay, not great but not bad, it's just nervy and teams don't want to bomb ahead to leave themselves open...I've seen plenty of tournament matches, and definitely opening matches, far worse than this.

France not so hot at the back.

Is this the best 4 they have, or are players missing?

I believe Varane and Sakho are the starting CB duo and both are injured. Also Lassana Diarra at DM injured (though Kanté's doing excellently there). I think there's someone else out too at the back, but can't recall who it is.

I just don't see how a team with Giroud as their first choice striker can be the favorite for any major knockout tournament.

I really don't know where all the Giroud hate comes from.

Old fashioned big, strong target man who links the play well and gets goals both with his head & feet.

Old fashioned big, strong target man who links the play well and gets goals both with his head & feet.

Does go missing somewhat in big games tbf (although this could be judged as one so that's wrong!).

And needs loads of chances to score.

Archived