Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

See, this is the kind of stuff I find increasingly hilarious. A year back he was a defensive minded despicable character that would only trust youths as far as he could toss them. Judging by your talk, all of that is apparently horsecrap. I've watched football long enough to differentiate between a defensive approach and an offensive one. And when you even start talking about Mourinho not being so bad with youths, then all I can do is laugh in wonder at the revisionism. Like I said before, people probably have him as our next manager in their heads already, so the excuses are at the ready. If he for some reason doesn't become our next manager, maybe things will normalise again.

What he doesn't trust is players from the academy, and he was better at that in his earlier career than now (shown by players he has succeeded and failed with

He's ok at with established youth in the side.

He's offensive up until any weakness gets exposed, then he shuts the side down (shown by both goals scored and playing style)

He's still got a lot answer for behaviour wise.

Facts get posted, and you simply laugh. That just makes you an idiot not worthy of further interaction.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anybody lost a season ticket before? I had 4 in my wallet and somehow one isn't there anymore, don't know where it could have gone, searched everywhere.

What's the policy? Report it and they block the card and issue a new one? The problem is that the season ticket is in my cousins name and he lives in London now so doesn't make many games, is he going to have to be the one to pick up the new ticket?

Seem to remember it being £15 to replace the last one I lost. They send it out to your address and you can get a paper ticket for the any games that are on while it's out on delivery.

Aah, we're off to name calling now. Great. By a mod even.

I've not disputed that some of this teams have scored many goals. Sir Alex' later teams scored heaps of goals too, and those of us who remember past a couple of nights, remember that although results were great, the football wasn't always great to watch. Also pretty darn hard to NOT score heaps when you're in charge of Real Madrid. Mourinho's teams have also had a knack of "putting teams to the sword", scoring 5-6 past them. I'm not saying he parks the bus all the time, but a cautious/negative approach is a central part of his philosophy (ooooh). I find it baffling how people can even question this, when he's done it practically his whole career.

But negative football isn't my main concern. I'm more worried about youths no longer getting a real chance to make it to the first team. And his behaviour is pretty horrible, especially when under pressure. Those are bigger issues than negative football (especially in the big games). After all, if LVG's United were sitting first in the table and played a CL semi final this week, with the exact same style of football as this season, I doubt so many would want him sacked.

what he isn't good with is academy players but is okay with established youth players? yeah mate that's the entire point. he doesn't bring players through. not that he doesn't use who are already first team players.

and yes he's played attacking football almost exclusively with real madrid rather than any other club - when he had a squad so good against 95% of the teams he faced he could do without reverting to pragmatism. which is exactly what he did in CL knockouts against reasonable teams and above and also consistently with inter.

there were periods of his first chelsea stint that his team did play very good football i thought - robben and duff flying down and he did also try and start his second chelsea stint more expansively but caved in early doors and reverted to type again.

fwiw i don't personally think the style of football he brings on isan issue as it gets results and i would argue the playing style has its own art to it IMO. but the problem is the circle he creates around himself with his ego.

Report it stolen, get a crime reference number. They only charge half price if it's been stole. From what I remember reading. Although they might just give a replacement ticket seeing as there are only two home games left

Cheers :thup:. I did this and United are going to send out paper tickets for the final two games and won't charge anything. I'm shocked.

Good news, Harry :thup:

I'm reading that the club will set up buses to the cup final too, for free. It's something at least.

Good to hear Harry :thup:

That's worth a cup final ticket I reckon. I'll meet you at wembley.

All 4 already have an owner, sorry :(.

Re: Mourinho and youth - I've seen various articles around that Mourinho doesn't believe a player is mentally ready to play at the top level until they're 22/23, which is partly why the likes of De Bruyne and Lukaku left Chelsea, because they thought (and have obviously proved) that they were good enough.

what he isn't good with is academy players but is okay with established youth players? yeah mate that's the entire point. he doesn't bring players through. not that he doesn't use who are already first team players.

Really? Wouldn't've expected to see reams of comments about him not playing Rashford, CBJ, TFM, etc. if that was the entire point.

Re: Mourinho and youth - I've seen various articles around that Mourinho doesn't believe a player is mentally ready to play at the top level until they're 22/23, which is partly why the likes of De Bruyne and Lukaku left Chelsea, because they thought (and have obviously proved) that they were good enough.

Well he's got a point to a degree. It's like I was saying a while back, there's this post-Rooney/Messi/Ronaldo notion that if a player isn't the business by 18 then they won't make it. Was De Bruyne (whom I've always liked and thought Chelsea were mad to sell fwiw) really pulling up trees before he was 22 (he's 25 in the summer)? Depends by what is meant by 'ready to play at the top level' I suppose. Obviously some can produce at that age but they tend to be the exception; and it's not as though there aren't scores of players who debuted in their teens but came to nothing.

Not to say there isn't a wider issue of how he prepares players for that level, mind.

Really? Wouldn't've expected to see reams of comments about him not playing Rashford, CBJ, TFM, etc. if that was the entire point.

Well he's got a point to a degree. It's like I was saying a while back, there's this post-Rooney/Messi/Ronaldo notion that if a player isn't the business by 18 then they won't make it. Was De Bruyne (whom I've always liked and thought Chelsea were mad to sell fwiw) really pulling up trees before he was 22 (he's 25 in the summer)? Depends by what is meant by 'ready to play at the top level' I suppose. Obviously some can produce at that age but they tend to be the exception; and it's not as though there aren't scores of players who debuted in their teens but came to nothing.

Not to say there isn't a wider issue of how he prepares players for that level, mind.

Indeed that's what I'm getting at RSB.

I'm not overly concerned about the players you mentioned getting game time. I am concerned about those behind them getting the breaks from the academy. Jose is decent at the former, poor at the latter. Whether he's capable of changing that ( and he surely must know that he has to) remains to be seen.

Just had an idle thumb through some of the back end of the 2012-13 thread. Anyone squealing 'revisionism!' on Mourinho might want to refresh their memory of many of these same points being raised the best part of three years ago.

Yeah poor showing from my club Feyenoord that. Both insiders of Feyenoord and Chong himself confirm that he left because we did not have a proper plan for his future (aside from the attractiveness of playing for United obviously). A point of criticism more youth players (and potential youth players) have had lately.

Gutted that we've lost him, but fair play to United, hopefully he'll perform well for you in the future!

KDB was excellent at Werder Bremen and was our best player in the opening PL game against Hull.

Feyenoord youth Tahith Chong has confirmed he is joining Manchester United. Espn running story good news we are getting some good quality youngsters into the academy let's hope that it continues

I thought he was Chinese when I saw the name.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by kingrobbo viewpost-right.png

Feyenoord youth Tahith Chong has confirmed he is joining Manchester United. Espn running story good news we are getting some good quality youngsters into the academy let's hope that it continues

I thought he was Chinese when I saw the name.

no dutch and has the most amazing afro

he is a genuine prospect read the article it looks like he went to city/Chelsea/arse etc but on coming to OT that sealed the deal he loved the feel of everything about the club and the project they are undertaking in bringing in high quality youth for first team:thup:

Wow, LVG just keeps excelling himself doesn't he. Can't believe he has said that, despite some of the ridiculous stuff that he has come out with previously. It's almost like we've got the 'Dave' version of LVG and not the real one.

As Ice says, Carrick and Rooney have 5 apiece, Smalling and Valencia have 2 and Schweinsteiger, whilst not for United, has 8 Bundesliga titles to his name. We also have a few others on one title each.

Genuinely starting to hate the man rather than simply just wanting him out.

Apart from the youth that have came through recently only Martial, Herrera, Shaw, Schneiderlin and Darmian have not won a league title. So 5 players from a full squad :rolleyes:

Got to be another case of being lost in translation. Its got to be.

From the filthy paper!

But the Dutchman was aware United could not challenge for the title given a lack of winners in his squad - even though a number have Premier League silverware to their names.

Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Antonio Valencia, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, David de Gea and Ashley Young have all won the English league while Memphis Depay, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Marouane Fellaini and Daley Blind have been champions abroad.

'We have to beat them because we are still in the [top four] race. We cannot allow them to be champions this weekend at Old Trafford,' Van Gaal said. 'They shall be champions a week later. We don't spoil the party, only postpone it a little bit.

'The players we are now playing are not used to being champions. I don't think [Matteo] Darmian is used to it - De Gea was never a champion.'

De Gea won it in 2013 and Van Gaal added: 'I don't agree with the way you made the question. Rooney, Carrick have been champions once, maybe more than once.

Didn't he sign Romero who also won the league with AZ where Van Gaal was the manager as well? Mans completely lost it. Think its his age acting up now.

Mata is a World Cup and Euro winner + Champions League winner. Blind and Memphis has won the Eredivisie too. I haven't even mentioned current Germany captain Bastian Schweinsteiger or even Victor Valdes who he somehow hates so much.

Just retire, Louis. Now you're like that old man who keeps barking at every person walking in front of his porch.

Apart from the youth that have came through recently only Martial, Herrera, Shaw, Schneiderlin and Darmian have not won a league title. So 5 players from a full squad :rolleyes:

Got to be another case of being lost in translation. Its got to be.

Mata's never won a league title.

The pressure is on LvG now. Win tomorrow and we can keep the pressure on Arsenal and Man City. Lose and we stuck in 6th with no hope of 4th and with Liverpool snapping at our heels. I wonder if he has already cooked up some excuses alongside his fullback subs.

LvG says his players are not used to winning titles..

does he even know where he is?

he also said this

''Also, we have a process of three years. I wanted to sign for two years, they wanted three years – not me. I signed for three years, so next year you see me again.”

glad to see he has taken out the option of renewing his season ticket, at least he gets the limited scarf:D heard on one of the united podcasts yesterday someone hated him so much said if they were woody they would sack him in the Wembley tunnel and have Jose lead the team out:lol:

now that's hate:eek:

I want a pro wrestling style FA Cup final. Teams are about to be led out, switch to camera in the locker room and see LvG lying on the floor, knocked out. Loud music starts playing (Cena's theme would be a beautiful touch) and Mourinho runs out the tunnel to lead the team :brock:

the penny has just dropped with me...old Louis is paving way to cover the fact when he goes as he NOW states he only wanted 2 years, we forced him ;) to take a 3 year contract so he wont be sacked he leaves with deluded head held high ''I only wanted two years'':applause:

De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Rojo, Carrick, Fellaini, Lingard, Rooney, Martial, Rashford

subs: Romero, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, Herrera, Mata, Schneiderlin, Memphis

Primed for 2 FB subs again \o/

a win today combined with a Southampton win would be lovely

Would set things up perfectly for all 3 teams to end on 71 points and us losing 4th place because of our pathetic goal difference at least. Would also mean it's all in our own hands if City - Arsenal game gets any winner though. Or we could just score 4-5 in all remaining games. All very likely to happen of course. :p

Archived