Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better than Villa. Palace are under strength and we have had a lot of possession and we have put together some nice attacking play but there is no sustained pressure. Can we please play at a tempo above testimonial. Palace have had a few moments to show we need a second goal in this game. Zaha has the beating of Darmian every time.

Also how was that two footed flying tackle not a red card? Even if he got a foot on the ball first its clearly two footed, studs showing, in the air and out of control. Officials having another poor game today, the standards in the league this season have been as poor as i can remember.

Guillem Balague Exclusive: Manchester United plan to keep Van Gaal next season

In his latest exclusive blog, Guillem Balague believes that Jose Mourinho's attempts to engineer a move to Old Trafford will fall flat, and Manchester United fans will have to put up with Louis van Gaal for another season.

The Chosen One? I doubt it. Jose Mourinho’s long-held dream of managing Manchester United is vanishing very fast, as at this point in time Manchester United want to continue with the reign of Louis van Gaal for the coming season. King Louis is dead? Far from it.

This will no doubt prove disappointing and even infuriating for many MU fans who, attracted by the charismatic personality of the larger-than-life Mourinho, saw him as the man to alter the style while challenging for the title and, like a latter day messiah, lead them to a new, golden age. It’s not to be, I am led to believe. And, in all honesty, could it ever have been? Certainly Sir Alex Ferguson had his reservations, as did Bobby Charlton in the past. But it is not just them who doubt.

And this despite extraordinary pressure from the Mourinho camp who, throughout the season, have mounted a ferocious media campaign to undermine van Gaal and promote the Mourinho cause, recently even stating off the record that the Mourinho/Man United marriage was a “done deal”. I never believed it and that was why I always reported what they said (not once I said myself that it was a done deal, I only reported what I was being told by Mou’s camp, but of course people read what they wanted from it) and I always had to include the fact that Van Gaal has thought for a while that he was going to be in charge one more season and why I mentioned too the club kept insisting no deal for Mourinho had been agreed, no matter how many stories were published about it.

Tellingly, Sir Alex continued to publicly and privately support van Gaal. He also, by the way, praised Mauricio Pochettino, but not once he backed the possibility of the Portuguese taking over United. Did his disapproval, or, at least, lack of support influence the Board? The message arriving from Old Trafford is that he has, as we say in Spanish, no voice or vote about decisions at the club. But perhaps the board merely concurred with a wisdom and prudence that served Sir Alex and “his” team so well, for so long.

Van Gaal is considered by many to be part of the “Old Guard”, a has-been, but he is without doubt one of the most influential coaches of our era. He took off where Johan Cruyff and Rinus Michels left the evolution of football, and he moved forward the “positional game”. Whilst Pep Guardiola has developed this strategy to the next level, making the team much more dynamic, Van Gaal has continued at United to focus on the detail of the positional strategy, whereby every player has his role and position on the field. Viewed by many fans as a plodding and slow style, his strategy is beginning to pay off and, will, I believe, begin to pay dividends in the coming season.

We’ve become used to the star players who hog the limelight, but van Gaal is aiming for something more and longer lasting - a well disciplined, structured team that consistently out performs. In his realm there is no room for prima donnas, there’s just “the team”, that forms and reforms according to the game at hand. It takes time to build such an ethos. It takes careful nurture and patience. It demands the support and trust of every player, and it takes a strong man at the helm, with one aim in mind, to build a winning team to make it happen. This is van Gaal’s time.

He is already preparing for next season and is eying Everton’s Romelu Lukaku. Will they sell? Who knows? One thing, I have been told, is certain. Van Gaal, as it stands in this volatile world of football, will continue as manager, fully supported by the MU Board, who do not take such decisions lightly. He has their confidence, let’s hope the fans can share some of their insight.

And what of Mourinho? Having learnt for months that United was not a possibility even though his own people kept stating the deal was done to put pressure to Van Gaal and hoping the Manchester United board changed their mind, he has stated his intention to work next season. The pressure against Van Gaal from Mourinho’s camp will continue I am sure, but at Old Trafford they don’t think it will work and will change the mind of those that are against his appointment.

Will they be that strong minded if Manchester United fails to reach the top four and get knocked out of the FA Cup? We will see, but what a test to the club and its vision that would be.

I'll cry if we keep him.

Improvement certainly but still a long way to go. Our final ball left a lot to be desired. Palace didn't really look like they were up for the game in any way, shape or form, and to not even have a shot on target is pretty pathetic

7 changes from the weekend for palace

they were very poor

there was some improvement but as you say a long way to go and LVG should not be the man to try and get there

its looking like our name is on the cup everton in free fall and palace or Watford in final, but you never know we might find a way not to win the semi

LvG is eying Lukaku... Mourinho has got higher ambitions

if jose comes doubt Lukaku would want to play for us then

Kane is the dream option but we wont get him so personally I would persevere with rashford/ use martial as a 9 and bring in at least 1 top class winger and one for the future rather than spend mega on Lukaku

Van Gaal disputed that was the case. “I don’t have seen a lot of empty seats but you have seen it because you want to see it,” the United manager said. The official attendance of 75,408 would appear to support Van Gaal’s case but then season tickets already sold are included in that figure and give a misleading impression of how many actually turn out.

The man does himself no favours when he comes out with deluded nonsense like this.

Another solid, comfortable, albeit wholly unspectacular display. But I really don't mind that at this stage of season, it's all about points and we looked like getting all 3 with no trouble at all.

Thought Valencia actually had a decent game and looked like he wanted to beat people for once. Rashford with some delightful touches as usual and Rooney did ok, too. Looked a lot sharper around the opposition box and more intent on naking things happen.

First half was the usual frustration with corners. Smalling must be ****ed off with going up for every corner for it to be played short. Second half Blind takes 2 proper corners and they were really good, and although not directly, one lead to Darmian's goal from the clearance. Depay put in a third good corner too. It seems that, ie we keep working on actually putting in decent corners all we need now is to work on actually having people in the box winning the header!

Whatever happens now, we have at best remained static from last season. We certainly haven't made progress and we could still end up being behind where we were going in to the season. We've got a great chance to win the FA Cup, but if we do does that make up for either scraping or failing at all to make 4th?

The only positive going in to next season with LVG is that we know (unless the current stance changes) that he definitely goes at the end of it.

Another solid, comfortable, albeit wholly unspectacular display. But I really don't mind that at this stage of season, it's all about points and we looked like getting all 3 with no trouble at all.

Thought Valencia actually had a decent game and looked like he wanted to beat people for once. Rashford with some delightful touches as usual and Rooney did ok, too. Looked a lot sharper around the opposition box and more intent on naking things happen.

First half was the usual frustration with corners. Smalling must be ****ed off with going up for every corner for it to be played short. Second half Blind takes 2 proper corners and they were really good, and although not directly, one lead to Darmian's goal from the clearance. Depay put in a third good corner too. It seems that, ie we keep working on actually putting in decent corners all we need now is to work on actually having people in the box winning the header!

Whatever happens now, we have at best remained static from last season. We certainly haven't made progress and we could still end up being behind where we were going in to the season. We've got a great chance to win the FA Cup, but if we do does that make up for either scraping or failing at all to make 4th?

The only positive going in to next season with LVG is that we know (unless the current stance changes) that he definitely goes at the end of it.

Send him into retirement with a trophy and hopefully 4th place. Because we won't win the league under him based on the last two years, if anything we will slip further back

De Gea rightly in the Prem team of the season.

Definitely. I was baffled at people claiming he wasn't the best keeper this season. He was the clear choice in my opinion.

Also pleasing to see Michael Keane and Tom Heaton selected in the Championship. Surprised me that Keane was sold so early, as I would have thought he stood a decent chance at making it here. But it's always good to see our ex-youth players doing well elsewhere.

Sadly it looks like the remaining Keane has got at least one injury too many, and it's not realistic he'll make it here now. Can see him leaving this summer. I hope James Wilson will make it, though, and next season will be important for him. Perhaps he needs another season on loan first. Way too good for U21 football. He's excellent with the ball at his feet, running at pace. But he needs to get physically stronger, and perhaps to improve his holding up skills. The talent is definitely there though.

Going a bit further down, I hope Tuanzebe and Williams will be able to step up to more regular U21 football next season, and maybe also sniff at the first team.

Definitely. I was baffled at people claiming he wasn't the best keeper this season. He was the clear choice in my opinion.

Also pleasing to see Michael Keane and Tom Heaton selected in the Championship. Surprised me that Keane was sold so early, as I would have thought he stood a decent chance at making it here. But it's always good to see our ex-youth players doing well elsewhere.

Sadly it looks like the remaining Keane has got at least one injury too many, and it's not realistic he'll make it here now. Can see him leaving this summer. I hope James Wilson will make it, though, and next season will be important for him. Perhaps he needs another season on loan first. Way too good for U21 football. He's excellent with the ball at his feet, running at pace. But he needs to get physically stronger, and perhaps to improve his holding up skills. The talent is definitely there though.

Going a bit further down, I hope Tuanzebe and Williams will be able to step up to more regular U21 football next season, and maybe also sniff at the first team.

If Brighton go up I'd hope Wilson will spend a year on loan with them unless a current Prem team wants to take a gamble on him. Tuanzebe and Williams look like they might have the potential to go all the way to the first team, especially Williams who has stepped up very well to U21s and looks a real leader at the back. There's Regan Poole to throw into the mix too, although I think he'll spend more time in midfield given the partnership of Tuanzebe and Williams.

That's such an odd interview. Kid's scored 7 in 15 (or something like that). LvG says he's not ready, then goes off to rattle off a few names and says age is not the issue, quality is.

What the **** more does he want from an 18 year old kid playing in a team that's barely scoring goals? :D

Well he could have played a full back there, SAF did it to Pogba.

He also does compare him to an 18 year old Patrick Kluivert which isn't exactly writing him off. Just one of those lost in translation things, if he go into next season with Rashford as our first choice striker we're totally ****ed again.

Just get tired of his soundbites.

No.one is meant to be bigger than the club yet, according to LVG, if someone does something right or scores a goal it's only because he told them to do it training. He can't just give praise.

If something's wrong it has nothing to with him.

He does not have the required players despite selling everyone and spending x amount of money.

We're too dumb to understand his philosophy.

The target at the start of the year was to altleast challenge for the title... now he's doing absolute rubbish apparently the aim was only top four and the FA Cup.

Hes always been known for his ego but It's ridiculous.

Just get tired of his soundbites.

No.one is meant to be bigger than the club yet, according to LVG, if someone does something right or scores a goal it's only because he told them to do it training. He can't just give praise.

If something's wrong it has nothing to with him.

He does not have the required players despite selling everyone and spending x amount of money.

We're too dumb to understand his philosophy.

The target at the start of the year was to altleast challenge for the title... now he's doing absolute rubbish apparently the aim was only top four and the FA Cup.

Hes always been known for his ego but It's ridiculous.

cant argue with any of that:thup:.....he is a self serving fool, I cant go against Utd and still want us to win the cup and finish 4th but part of me would love him to get hammered in semi and lose all remaining games just so the board if they didn't realise what a bluffer he is

don't want to see any Utd manager get the sack but this **** has sucked the enjoyment out of watching Utd

Archived