Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

I understand what you're saying but I'd prefer wwfan to clear that one up (i.e. misinterpretation). I would imagine it is in relation to set pieces but if that is the case then my point still stands.

What if the amount of goals he has in his games is reduced significantly because he isn't 'exploiting' flaws in the ME on set pieces? Something which every other user who just sets up without taking the flaws into account is still experiencing. This could alter the whole game massively. I would imagine going down by a goal alters the game dynamic significantly so I would argue that his tweaks to avoid the ME flaws are having an effect.

What do you think about it from that angle? :confused:

There are enough eyes on set pieces to mean I don't have to find any bugs in them. My reason for setting up the way I do is because I don't like the lack of dynamism in the set piece creator. You always have to use the same set piece. The only variable is delivery, so I leave that on mixed, and then set my players up in positions so any delivery choice might be dangerous. It minimises the possibility of scoring x-number of goals because you've hit on a routine the AI can't deal with, but doesn't completely nuke corners.

The opposing view is that the user should find the sweet spot corner. I've seen many a self-proclaimed "great" FM player almost completely rely on corner cheats to win, with the rest of their tactic being terrible. I did a long test a few years back comparing the TT&F approach with other downloaded tactics, and against every one TT&F tactics scored more open play goals, whereas all the "super-tactics" required set piece bugs. I still get asked to look at possible bugs in set pieces and I do, but I'm not going to use them in my game as it suspends the immersion.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the AI's treatment/development of young players being looked at? This isn't based on too much data but I have Allione frozen out at Velez in 2017, Halilovic at Dinamo, Praet at Anderlecht, Depay at PSV all hardly getting games. Argentina's playable, the others aren't - not sure if that makes the difference. I mention these names in particular (I'm sure there's more in my game) because their contracts all expired this season and it's very, very easy for the human player to scoop up this kind of player. It's fun the first time, but it cheapens the challenge.

Got to say it again...i know that there's a italian team that provide to say what's the story in italy but...really, every season is the same. Roma is Awful.

On my save:

Season One: 1. Juventus 2. Fiorentina 3. Napoli 4. Inter 5. Roma

Season Two: 1. Roma 2. Juventus 3. Napoli 4. Fiorentina 5. Inter

It's not the same for everyone.

On my save:

Season One: 1. Juventus 2. Fiorentina 3. Napoli 4. Inter 5. Roma

Season Two: 1. Roma 2. Juventus 3. Napoli 4. Fiorentina 5. Inter

It's not the same for everyone.

Very glad to know it.

I assure you, in my games (also in FM13) is a constant.

And i find an issue.

In my Atalanta i took Christian Stellini in the staff, training Defence.

Few days later, South Korea appointed him as Manager.

He leave my squad but the stars in training still remains - in February now.

Bug?

Very glad to know it.

I assure you, in my games (also in FM13) is a constant.

And i find an issue.

In my Atalanta i took Christian Stellini in the staff, training Defence.

Few days later, South Korea appointed him as Manager.

He leave my squad but the stars in training still remains - in February now.

Bug?

Have you edited your database at all?

Urgh, I feel that the wing play is going to cost me the title. In the last 5 mins Theo Walcott had 5 opportunities to cross the ball into the box and he either kicked it out for a goalkick or passed it back to the halfway line. It's all well and good promoting good tactics but there's absolutely nothing I can do about this?

There are enough eyes on set pieces to mean I don't have to find any bugs in them. My reason for setting up the way I do is because I don't like the lack of dynamism in the set piece creator. You always have to use the same set piece. The only variable is delivery, so I leave that on mixed, and then set my players up in positions so any delivery choice might be dangerous. It minimises the possibility of scoring x-number of goals because you've hit on a routine the AI can't deal with, but doesn't completely nuke corners.

The opposing view is that the user should find the sweet spot corner. I've seen many a self-proclaimed "great" FM player almost completely rely on corner cheats to win, with the rest of their tactic being terrible. I did a long test a few years back comparing the TT&F approach with other downloaded tactics, and against every one TT&F tactics scored more open play goals, whereas all the "super-tactics" required set piece bugs. I still get asked to look at possible bugs in set pieces and I do, but I'm not going to use them in my game as it suspends the immersion.

I agree with what you're saying. Super tactics which rely on bugs are a bit ridiculous really - but then I wouldn't use a tactic created by someone else anyway so I guess that influences my take on them. I like to create my tactic based on watching the match thoroughly and slightly adjusting individual positions based on what I see.

Saying that though, I don't go the length of eliminating bugs from set pieces, the same principal applies to not exploiting them either. Because of this, I do on occasion witness a goal or two which is a bug but it's nothing which is seen every game or even every 10 games. It's a shame they're still in there after so many years. I remember seeing the near post corner bug in FM2007! Surely it should have been resolved sooner.

Hello I couldnt find my post anymore so I dont know if it was answered, so I post it again :)

Just updated and noticed that the action bar is still not hiding when playing in windowed mode with the option "auto-hide action bar" selected in preferences. This was possible with 14.0.0 and removed with 14.0.1... are you planning to enable this feature again soon? Thanks

Hello I couldnt find my post anymore so I dont know if it was answered, so I post it again :)

Just updated and noticed that the action bar is still not hiding when playing in windowed mode with the option "auto-hide action bar" selected in preferences. This was possible with 14.0.0 and removed with 14.0.1... are you planning to enable this feature again soon? Thanks

Works already for me.

Once set if you click the windowed icon bottom right does it not then auto hide ? Mine does...

First, sorry for my bad English. I registered just to say thank's to SI for making the worst game that I ever played. I play manager since 1999, I have not skip single one game since then. I will never play any of your games, never. No matter what tactic i create, and tried 1000000 downloaded tatcic's nothing works. Earlier you have creating games with passion, all were good (maybe 2006. was bad) but now, you ruined all, just for money. FM 2012 was realistic, if you have good players, good tactic and training you will win, but this year.. howww you can after all that years make this bad game!!?? Thank you , thank you very much for ruining my favourite series, i hope somebody from SIwill read this, you lost one of biggest fan's of your game... ofcourse it doesn't mean anything to you, you have money..

and just this.. you can go on street, find 11 drunk teenagers, put them on the field and just say "go play football" and they will play better than professional footballers in fm 2014. Again sorry for my bad English, but i hope that SI understand how they ruining greatest sport games off all time.

First, sorry for my bad English. I registered just to say thank's to SI for making the worst game that I ever played. I play manager since 1999, I have not skip single one game since then. I will never play any of your games, never. No matter what tactic i create, and tried 1000000 downloaded tatcic's nothing works. Earlier you have creating games with passion, all were good (maybe 2006. was bad) but now, you ruined all, just for money. FM 2012 was realistic, if you have good players, good tactic and training you will win, but this year.. howww you can after all that years make this bad game!!?? Thank you , thank you very much for ruining my favourite series, i hope somebody from SIwill read this, you lost one of biggest fan's of your game... ofcourse it doesn't mean anything to you, you have money..

and just this.. you can go on street, find 11 drunk teenagers, put them on the field and just say "go play football" and they will play better than professional footballers in fm 2014. Again sorry for my bad English, but i hope that SI understand how they ruining greatest sport games off all time.

One of the worst posts ever.. and thats saying alot

1. Visit the tactical forum.

2. Keep it simple

Only because i can't speak English well my post is bad? a i from Serbia, and here many people play this game.

It is nothing to do with your command of English, and everything to do with the fact that it was a bit of a rant.

Trying "1000000" downloaded tactics is the source of your issue.

If that is the approach you have used in the past, then you need to adapt to the idea that Plug And Play downloadable tactics are now less effective than in previous versions.

FM14 is no more tactically challenging than FM13, but you can't just download a random tactic and expect your team to play perfect football.

If you then worsen this situation by then changing to another downloaded tactic when you lose a game, then you have no chance I'm afraid.

Heed roykela's advice.

• SI Staff

There is *definitely* a correlation between moaning unconstructive posts and losing games, especially having "won the passing/shooting".

We are in for a hell of a ride when the next ME update* improves counter attacking AI ;-)

* No. Date. Set.

Can't find the relationship between "you ruined all" and "just for money". Are you suggesting that SI has been paid with the purpose of making a bad game?

Thus, ultimately, with the purpose of disappointing their fan and so lose them for future editions of the game?

Really interesting theory. This opens up to me an entire world of interpretations about the facts of life that until now I had not been able to explain.

Enlightening!

Perhaps someone has already mentioned it, but it seems that Throw Ins are really weird in this version. I have seen my Fullbacks throw the ball high over my players and straight to the opposition many times now.

Please take the time to post in the bugs forum and upload some Pkms :thup:

Can't find the relationship between "you ruined all" and "just for money". Are you suggesting that SI has been paid with the purpose of making a bad game?

Thus, ultimately, with the purpose of disappointing their fan and so lose them for future editions of the game?

Really interesting theory. This opens up to me an entire world of interpretations about the facts of life that until now I had not been able to explain.

Enlightening!

No, i mean that they now just make game just to earn more money on old fame.. I can't explain well on English.. I am not hater, just sad.. cause i can't play anymore my favourite game.. We now must make tatctic that new match engine likes, we can't be creative like in earlier versions.. If i could write on my language i would say everyting but this way is hard for me..

There is *definitely* a correlation between moaning unconstructive posts and losing games, especially having "won the passing/shooting"......

That's not so far to very true to real life. :D

How many managers on Sky Sports/MotD come out when they lose and whine about everything and it's dog but their own players/tactics/motivational abilities?

Anyone else agree that Liverpool are underrated on this? Just saw there results in my save and they lost 4 - 0 three weeks in a row to West Ham, Cardiff and Southampton then they just lost 7 - 3 to Crystal palace in the cup.

How do you know West Ham, Cardiff and Southampton aren't wildly over rated?

It's all about perception you see :)

That's not so far to very true to real life. :D

How many managers on Sky Sports/MotD come out when they lose and whine about everything and it's dog but their own players/tactics/motivational abilities?

I am sure I am not the only 1 thinking about Steve Bruce right now! :D

When Hull City win I actually know I can watch the entire MotD without having to turn it off when his after match interview is on.

Hello,

just got the game recently, after the latest patch that I thought fixed the ME problems, and I must say that so far I got mixed feelings about it.

I like the interface improvements, especially when it comes to negotiate transfers/contracts, but I can't really understand the reasons behind the so called "tactical overhaul".

The only one coming to mind is to make it easier for new users. In my opinion though, the saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" applies very well here.

The only thing I appreciate of the new ME, is the new half back role, that apparently uses a different AI pattern that I couldn't replicate in previous versions of Fm.

The rest so far is a disappointment.

Biggest issue so far:

- Zonal marking.

It's completely broken.

My results with zonal marking were 5-2, 4-3, and then... 7(!!!)-3!!! (the AI vs AI matches, were also in line. I saw a couple of 7-0 and so. Results that can very rarely happen, but not so often)

I decided to run a test, same match played twice, once with default zonal marking for all the team, once with man marking for every single player (the rest of the tactic/line up of course was the same).

The result of this was, first match lost 7(!!!) - 3. Second match won 0 - 1.

In the aforementioned first match, two goals were scored because of a goalkeeper distribution mistake (they can happen also in real life football, sure, but two in a single match seems a bit too much). One more was scored because one of my players decided to slide tackle (for no apparent reason I can think of...) the horizontal pass between my CBs, providing an easy assist for the opposing striker.

In fm 12 (the closest one you made so far to real football), and to a lesser extent, 13, you could play with zonal marking and be just fine, you weren't forced to create a tactic based on man marking. Both solutions or a mix between the two would work very well. You could choose zonal or man marking for every player, you didn't have to specify which man to mark for every single match!!!

Now, taken aside this, which I consider the biggest issue so far, a couple more things:

- As many mentioned already, too many wood sticks hit, too many shots taken (like 25+ for both teams... in the italian championship it's not rare to see a match end with 3-4 shots for each team. Not saying the game should be balanced around that, but I have the feeling that there are way too many shot attempts, and way too few "body deflections" of the shots)

- Sometimes (happens frequently enough to be very annoying) one of my players, usually the winger or the full back, will run in front of each other at the moment of the pass, which results in a ball lost.

- I already mentioned slide tackles that intercept your own team mate pass. Why?

- Sometimes three of my players would close on the ball carrier of the opposing team, leaving my goal completely exposed (often the obvious pass occur, resulting in an easy goal). The funny thing is that other times, said player still manages to land a non deflected shot. I don't know, the AI of the defenders just doesn't feel right.

- CBs seem to attempt the offside trap way too often, even if I haven't ticked it at all, nor it is being trained in any of my tactics. That often results in goal taken with killer balls played directly from their defence. Awful.

- The touchline and player instructions in general seem unresponsive. I have my wingers set with dribble more and shoot more often. Yet what they do is 80% of the time pass it short to the full back, 20% get to corner flag while walking, waiting for the defender to close him off. I hardly ever see a dribbling anymore.

I give the instruction to drop the defense line way deeper, and they stay close to the midfield line. Pass it shorter, keep possession, standard strategy, and they play long balls... exploit left flank, and they play on the right one...

edit: forgot to mention: I see LOTS of sliding tackles, I hardly ever see any standing tackles or clean balls steals. Or in general using their bodies to prevent the opposition from passing/shooting as they please.

Always nice when, in a vital title match, the oppositions left back gets his first of the season with an amazing lob after my keeper dashes out of goal. Oh and did I mention that my right back decided to join my central midfielders ignoring any instructions he had set?

And then I equalise... with a lobbed goal!

And they score due to BOTH my CB's closing down the same player. Amazing stuff.

How do you know West Ham, Cardiff and Southampton aren't wildly over rated?

It's all about perception you see :)

Very true, Rodgers always seems to get sacked by december as well. Just glad I had some success with them when I played as them, just a bit upsetting to see them down near the bottom of the league all the time.

• Administrators
This is a bit odd / frustrating. Surely that should be the right time to praise the team...

312a03m.jpg

Should mention that there was no issues in terms of morale, just seems harsh.

If you have a save before the team meeting I can take a look.

I imagine the players failed to see the benefit as their morale was already high to begin with, so there was little to gain from the meeting itself.

Guest El Payaso

Has anyone else noticed how big role these long balls play in the current match engine? Just had a game where first ~10 highlights started from either a goalkick or other keepers' long kick upfield. It makes a huge difference in the progression of the whether the centre backs are in mood of heading to ball to my own players or heading it straight to opponents. Really good amount of attacks start from these long kicks, I've had games where I win with these and also had games where we lose because of this. More aerial battles are needed and less controlled headers please.

Also, does anyone know why I keep wearing my away kit when i'm at home? And why is it when the other team gets a player sent off normally early on in the second half there are no more highlights after and it just skips to the end, normally resulting in a loss or draw? It doesnt matter what you change you're style to it's always the same (for me personally)

If you have a save before the team meeting I can take a look. I imagine the players failed to see the benefit as their morale was already high to begin with, so there was little to gain from the meeting itself.
Yeah true enough, I usually ignore my assistant when he recommends it, but on this occasion it seemed appropriate given we had broken our clubs win streak record. But what you say makes sense.

Anyone else agree that Liverpool are underrated on this? Just saw there results in my save and they lost 4 - 0 three weeks in a row to West Ham, Cardiff and Southampton then they just lost 7 - 3 to Crystal palace in the cup.

Agree completely. Liverpool players seem completely incapable of getting the easiest of results.

Archived