Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has the way you deal with squad status changed?

Fellaini's squad status was key player so I changed him to rotation. He immediately wanted to talk to me...( I'd saved the game before doing this btw ), I said I stood by my decision and he threw the biggest hissy fit ever. So I reloaded and apologised and said it won't happen again ( you can often change squad status accidently by clicking the wrong option ), and he said "I've heard it all before, I'm not letting this drop".

How on earth has he heard it all before when he has only been at the club for 1 month and I've never spoken to him? Ended up having to put him in the U-18's for 3 months and then he finally decided to behave himself.

He is just one example, there have been many other cases. I signed Draxler in my PSG save and at negotiation stage I said "Rotation", when he signed his status changed to "Key Player", so I changed it back to rotation and he wanted to talk. He'd heard it all before and nothing has changed etc. He'd been at the club for 1 day and had agreed "rotation". Yes I did re-load and make sure I hadn't offered key player. Exactly the same happened again, offered rotation>accepted>signed him>squad status changed to key player>changed to rotation>player unhappy and has heard it all before.

Exactly the same happened again, offered rotation>accepted>signed him>squad status changed to key player>changed to rotation>player unhappy and has heard it all before.

I've never seen a squad status change on its own, normally your backromm staff advise you to change it in your regular meetings. I'd upload that save to the SI servers and let them take a look at that, unless that's something that happens regularly at the top level (Not that I'll ever know...)

Just finished my first season with the new patch. There is definitely an improvement in the ME but overall its a disappointment.

Ratings are nowhere near getting fixed, except for the players that score/assist I rarely see players getting over 7. I had the best defense in the league and my highest average rating for a defender was 6.96, my DLP had 92% passing accuracy and a 6.87 average.

Also there's several minor annoying bugs that for me just ruin the game. For example in one game my keeper caught the ball and apparently went out of the area so he handballed - whilst he walks back after getting booked the opposition takes the free kick and scores. I replayed that goal like 2-3 times because I couldn't believe my eyes.

I still can't believe that one month after release the ME is in such a poor state. The sad thing is that it looked so promising during BETA, but it all went downhill from there and at this pace I don't see things improving too much in the near future.

I've just had a very odd instance of holding a very high line when defending an indirect free kick, which unsurprisingly resulted in a goal for the opposition when they popped it over the top of us.

I've uploaded a pkm (Man Utd v Anderlecht 2-3) and logged this in the bugs forum. :)

Brought this up a few times but had an instance of terrible marking from a dead ball AGAIN.

313n98m.png

No shock that they took the throw in and proceeded to score from it. Surely this is purely a poor Match Engine set up and not bad tactics? Those 3 players around that throw in should be marked no matter the tactical set up.

Anyone say i'd be wrong to suggest this?? Maybe i'm just making a total a**e of the tactics but players should be marked from this type of situation regardless of tactical set ups???

Yeah I'm having the same issues. That and teams being able to play the ball over my back line at will is making this hard to play for me. And I've not even mentioned the shoddy wing play.

I hate to moan and be critical because of how much work has gone into it, but it really is as poor of an ME as I can remember. I'm pining for FM13.

Here's my feedback. I've been playing this game since I was a kid with CM3, started buying on steam for FM10 according to steam I've clocked in the following hours:

1200 hours in FM10

1100 hours in FM11

1500 hours in FM12

55 hours in FM13

30 hours in FM14

The UI changes in the past two years have been pretty good, like the option for DoF and passing off some of the more mundane tasks off to the AI.

Whatever happened in the match engine since FM13 it doesn't feel like football anymore though. The fundamentals.

Frequently not able to perform a kick off without kicking it against the other player and then standing there while the opposition takes possession.

Hitting the crossbar and posts multiple times a game.

Wingers not performing their duties correctly.

Defenders kicking it against the backs of other defenders and then standing there while the opposition takes possession through on goal.

Walls not lined up properly for a free kick, I'd mention poor marking in dead ball situations but I don't want to be lectured on my tactics.

Near post corners not properly defended, unrealistically high chance of scoring from the near post.

Players closer to the ball inexplicably slow down and wait for the opposition further away to catch up and take possession.

Weird ice skating type movement from players (dunno if this is the best way to describe it).

Goalkeepers set on distribute to defenders consistently choosing to hoof it up the field instead.

Goalkeepers never bring a player down for a penalty (not as major as the others)

Unrealistically high scores across the game world.

A lot of these are out of my control as a manager and I can't fix them. It's good to lose a game when you have been beaten fairly but when you lose to a scenario described above for me it takes the enjoyment and satisfaction away. I don't think I will be picking up FM15 but I hope you fix some of these issues to improve the enjoyment for others.

Some people around here have some pretty unrealistic expectations of a GAME that costs around £30 and with a good attitude and a half decent tactic can give you hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

I call that fantastic value.

Its not perfect, it never will be and its ridiculous to expect it to be.

If you can't stand imperfections in the visual march engine, go commentary only and let your imagination fill in the blanks, like back in the day.

When I look back on my results at the end of the season I always check whether I feel they are realistic, so far the answer has always been yes.

And remember that tactics can only take you so far, the team with the better players has a big advantage, just like real life.

I see this, ultimately, as a squad/team building game.

£45 actually, and just not as much fun anymore. I wont bring up my previous issues with the game but will add to those Man Utd are too overpowered in the game. The FM World is the only place that they were clear pre-season favs for the title and a monster team in action. I can live with that though, they are defending Champions after all although we all know that doesn't tell half the story, my biggest issue is that for the 2nd year running the game has been what I would call unplayable for a large portion of the release day to Xmas window, fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.....as Grissom once said.

I genuinely believe that if/when the joy-killing bugs/issues are resolved that FM14 will be the best FM ever (in the terms that I would judge it) however I seriously doubt I shall still be playing the series at that point, the enforced absences from the game have opened my eyes to other less frustrating pass times. I don't expect anyone at SI or Sega to lose any sleep over that but it is significant that someone who has purchased all of the last 16 SI football release (FM live excluded) has lost this much faith in a brand - that umbilical cord to my wallet has been severed. I hope FM13 & 14 have taught SI a lesson or two then maybe these consecutive debacles will not have been in vain. I cant help thinking that the absence of competition has led to complacency for SI, not complacency in striving for the perfect Football Manager sim (I would never doubt SI's good intentions in that direction) but much like a Band release albums which are more and more experimental but less and less listenable so FM has turned into a festival of developers dreams but half fulfilments.

Probably flirting with my first ever infraction with this Post but at least I am being honest and all views are considered - not rage-posts.

Yeah I'm having the same issues. That and teams being able to play the ball over my back line at will is making this hard to play for me. And I've not even mentioned the shoddy wing play.

I hate to moan and be critical because of how much work has gone into it, but it really is as poor of an ME as I can remember. I'm pining for FM13.

Is this happening for AI teams as well, or just your team?

Happens both ways to me, however switching my back three to 'cover - stopper - cover' has helped quite a bit.

I think one of the big issues though is players can seemingly take balls hit from behind them in their stride. Even if an attacker gets a break on the defensive line from a long ball, he's still going to need a split second to turn and take the ball down (even if the pass is perfect and his touch is perfect). In FM they take it down while still running towards goal without losing any momentum, even from balls hit by the 'keeper.

not really. if players do not care for manager, if they went on field with wrong attitude, ...

the game is not only about tactics. there are a lot of things the game tries to simulate and sometimes it is really hard to tell what causes what.

Sorry, thats just a load of old nonsense.

Bit of a weird one;

Rafael (Man UTD) took British Citizenship to become an EU national. He's noted as being from Brazil with Portuguese 2nd nationality. I haven't researched in-depth but Portugal is part of the EU, shouldn't he already have EU citizenship? Or does Portugal have its own regulations on that preventing him from claiming it? Seems unlikely.

It is happening in my game as well, I noted through balls and one-on-ones in my first impression which I posted on here some pages ago. There are lots and lots of long passes behind the defense both for and against me. Most of them are saved by the keeper.

It is the positioning of the defense and then the decision-making in transition phases that causes this, at least in my save with Eastleigh. That's a pretty poor level of football, but the defensive skills of the defenders and offensive skills of the forwards should be rather evenly matched.

Here's a typical centre-of-the-pitch phase where there is little pressure on the ball carrier and the Farnborough defense remains high while the midfield remains passive.

66mj.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url

There is no marking whatsoever. This is a defensive mistake of the rather basic kind - everyone knows that if the ball carrier is not closed down and the defensive line is high they need to fall back. Once possession is lost, Farnborough should immediately switch to marking the nearest of my players but they remain passive for too long.

27vb.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see here, the defender who breaks the offside trap is the one who should deal with my striker, but instead he runs straight back to his goal.

Next example is of the central defenders' dumb closing down decisions, which I also see quite often. This one is what happens on the goal kick following the missed one-on-one above:

gb3o.png

The goal kick is in the air still, here, and Farnborough's defense seems in order (but notice how on-the-edge-of-the-defense all three of my strikers are positioned, almost like three jack-in-the-boxes waiting to spring).

yqk4.png

Here my Trequartista drops deep to pick up the ball, followed by BOTH their central defenders. My two DLF-A's are still not "sprung".

tld4.png

SPPRRROOOINNNG!!

(another miss, btw)

If you guys aren't looking at this imbalance, I could make a thread in the bugs forum to make it official.

When I saw the patch was released, I though it was finally time to switch to FM14 and start a save, but it seems I was wrong. I played 5 matches, I'll probably give it 5 more, but I will most likely be going back to FM13 as early as tomorrow...

- Finishing/shooting is still terrible. I play with slower tempo, short passing, "work ball in the box" shout, thinking that this will make my forwards take their time on the ball, not shoot prematurely, generally decreasing the total number of shots and improving the quality. None of that is happening, as it should and as it did in FM13. Shots flying in from everywhere, GKs catching them easily. Chance conversion is awfully unrealistic.

- Woodwork

- Red cards

- Idiotic defending

Didn't pay much for FM14, but I'm starting to regret it...

yeah for both teams, issue is my striker (Giroud) doesn't have the pace for it to work. Plus it's linked to the fact that my team play a stupidly high line.

Are you able to upload a few examples? Same to CityAndColour. I imagine part of it is the d-line getting caught too square and part of it is the over easy control of direct balls. From experience, the d-line fix will be relatively straightforward and the issue will be fixed for the next update.

No offence people at SI, I love the effort you all put in, BUT it's not a feedback thread if there's a ban on feedback on the negative issues the latest patch has highlighted. Issues such as:

1. Red cards, after initially reducing mine (after a spate of 3 in 3 games) I see at least 2 or 3 spread over a Premier League weekend of football. Every week. I appreciate you have marked this as a known issue and are working at it.

2. The ball is magnetically attracted to the cross bar. This has helped me out, but that hand that giveth does taketh away also! Just a bit unrealistic.

3. Most AI teams players are always quicker to the ball than my players are(When my guy is defending anyway). I cant recall a scenario where the opposite is true, I know occasionally this will happen, due to varying speed/acceleration attributes but again just something that is really annoying as it isn't realistic. Additionally, there is an alarming number of times this has happened in combination with the 2nd fault I listed above.

4.Through balls down the centre my CB's always end up in no-man's land.

5.Wingers always passing it backwards. (This has been of benefit to me on a few occasions, where my midfielder's are good at finishing, however i've also seen a huge number of moves break down after initially being very promising.)

Also, I'm not for one minute having this down as "tactics" I've started a few games, tried different tactics, instructions and played with good teams and bad teams but the faults I listed above are the same.

Now its only fair I point out some good stuff: It looks good, very good in fact the best M.E so far. The polish on some of the animations is pretty good. The user interface is also very good, I do press conferences again for the first time in ages!

Well, after all the negativity there's been in this thread, just thought I'd chip in and say I'm thoroughly enjoying FM14. Yes, there are bugs and a fair few of them, but with the new patch I've found the ME much improved. My players now have much more variety to their play, they defend with more determination and closing down (sometimes too much but it can be mitigated), and the developments have pushed the series on. So I just wanted to say thanks to SI, they know it's not perfect, we know it's not perfect, but it still gives me more enjoyment than any other game and there's a great game in there somewhere, with just a few tweaks it'll be there.

1) Defenders can't defend, fullbacks mark nothing, center backs only decide to chase after the ball once the attacker is past them, random hopeful balls over the top continue to undue my team while everyone just ball watches.

2) Goalkeepers that get chipped because they come far too far off their line, general positioning is terrible, and why on earth to they walk past the ball and allow attackers to walk on by for a tap in???

I've only played 7 or so games in the new patch, so I don't have any thoroughly justified opinions yet, however I've noticed both these possible issues already. My central defenders are all too keen to let strikers run between them to pick up a long ball forward, even if they haven't been told to push higher up. In addition, while I've benefited at least twice from cracking 25 yard chips, the regularity of such long distance chips does seem a little suspect.

EDIT: My first complaint seems similar to what ajw10 and CityandColour have reported so hopefully it's being dealt with

There may be a problem with long balls over the top, so I won't comment on that as I haven't seen anything that I'd term a 'problem' in 6 seasons. But has anyone suffering these 'long balls' looked at who played them? What were your midfielders doing? Did you give creative opposition players too much time on the ball? Did you close them down enough?

It can be a real eye opener when you look back on key events and see what players were doing.

One thing that really frustrates me with the ME atm is that the players fall over for no reason every single time that they get tackled or otherwise lose the ball in and around the opposition area. I know that players go to ground in these situations in real football but not every single time. It's infuriating. Also I have had my strikers win the ball in the opposition area and then just stand there looking bewildered while the defenders get it back instead of just putting their foot through the thing.

Not a massive issue, but it seems like too many players are requiring treatment after making a challenge. At least twice a match so far, either one of my players or the opposition's has needed the physio to come on after they've tried to win the ball.

Well this game keeps addictive as ever, but a bit like in the previous version, i can't seem to get enjoyment from the game. I watch the game in full highlights mostly so i can track back all my tactical issues and stuff however it gets really really repetitive to see this ME in action. The poor passing, the clumsy soft play and physics, the random bugs (like a sub warming up in the middle of the pitch during the second half) but more importantly the overall play that is highly focused on the wings, the wingers\fullbacks getting to the line easily and then crossing against the defender, taking so much. Sometimes i have 15 corners in 30minutes against 1... and my highlights are basically corners, free kicks, clumsy balls on the box wasted in the least orthodox way...

I mean, i want my players to play football like a man, i want them to be strong and determined. Would it be so difficult to use a graphics engine like PES 2006? I'm sure it's not that heavy...

I tried different tactics and approaches with my top team, from very fluid to very strict to tame the annoying habit of not doing a quick cross or overall, playing faster and sharper. But no, no matter what, the fullback will go to the line, walk with the ball and get the corner, sometimes try a joke and pass it right into the line getting a goal kick.

What is with the lobbings either? the only goals i conceided so far with my super defence, were lobs from 3rd rate players or own goals due to bad communication with GK, but that it's ok... it happens in real life too right? and it made me laugh a bit even.

The game is quite nice yes, overall it improved, except the ME really. I miss FM11 or 12 can't remember, where you could tweak a team to play totally how you wanted, no matter what, you had full control and it was sometimes quite a joy to watch.

It was more fun when it was a game and not an attempt to simmulate real football. If you go by the later way, you will never achieve it because it's impossible.

Sorry for the rent and the poor english, it's not my language and i am very tired. I will keep playing the game though, it's pretty good despite not being so rewarding to watch.

Are you able to upload a few examples? Same to CityAndColour. I imagine part of it is the d-line getting caught too square and part of it is the over easy control of direct balls. From experience, the d-line fix will be relatively straightforward and the issue will be fixed for the next update.

Just to make sure this gets flagged to the right people :) . I've already logged a report on a similar issue re. indirect free-kicks and the defensive line. If you have access to pkm files wwfan it is loaded as per the directions in the thread.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/376353-Defensive-Line-too-high-when-defending-an-indirect-free-kick

Oh and if you want to give me any advice on tactics be my guest ;-)

Not a massive issue, but it seems like too many players are requiring treatment after making a challenge. At least twice a match so far, either one of my players or the opposition's has needed the physio to come on after they've tried to win the ball.

That doesn't seem to be that far off? I've had a season ticket for Dutch club Feyenoord for about ten years now and I would say, judging by my own experience, that about 3 to 4 players being treated by physios (however shortly) during the game on average per game would be about right. At Arsenal's game against Cardiff yesterday I know for sure that Giroud and Mertesacker were treated only on Arsenal's side alone. At Newcastle Tiote and Sissoko were at a certain point even treated simultaniously. Both because of challenging for the ball. At West Ham - Fulham Scott Parker got a big knock after a sliding tackle just before one of West Ham's goals.

So far the ME looks much better, I've a few problems now though with people not crossing and just walking the ball to the corner flag then losing it or knocking it out for a goal kick, the number of chances I'm creating now has more than halved (from 20-25 a game to less than 10).

I'm convinced this is my tactics though not quite working with the ME updates so will look in the tactics forum for help on that.

The major problem I'm having (since the update) though is injuries, I'm losing 2 players every game and guarenteed 1 of them will be fit for the next game and the other will be out for at least 2 months, 5 games played since the update I've had 11 in game injuries and 5 of them are all out for 2-3 months :(

Should say that all 11 of those injuries in 5 games have resulted in forced subsitutions.

So far the ME looks much better, im a few problems now though with people not crossing and just walking the ball to the corner flag and losing it or knocking it out for a goal, the number of chances im creating now has more than halved (from 20-25 a game to less than 10), im convinced this is my tactics though not quite working with the ME updates so will look in the tactics forum for help on that.

The major problem im having (since the update) though is injuries, im losing 2 players every game and gurenteed 1 of them will be fit for the next game and the other will be out for at least 2 months, 5 games played since the update ive had 11 in game injuries and 5 of them are all out for 2-3 months :(

Should say that all 11 of those injuries in 5 games have resulted in forced subsitutions.

I had this too, 3 players all key ones injured as soon as they had a MOM game, varied from 1 - 3 months out.

Bit of a weird one;

Rafael (Man UTD) took British Citizenship to become an EU national. He's noted as being from Brazil with Portuguese 2nd nationality. I haven't researched in-depth but Portugal is part of the EU, shouldn't he already have EU citizenship? Or does Portugal have its own regulations on that preventing him from claiming it? Seems unlikely.

He probably hadn't taken out the Portuguese one, although entitled to it, hence why he was still classed as Brazilian.

nz5e6d.jpg

It may be time to remove 'hassle opponents', even with 'stay on feet' selected as well :lol:

'hassle opponents' is not really viable at the moment. If you have any kind if of aggressive players you are looking at 'red card' central.

However, constantly playing with 10 men has given me some valuable tactical insights and made me realise. I can get away with a 2 man midfield and add an extra attacking player.

Every cloud. .... Etc.,,,,,,

£45 actually, and just not as much fun anymore. I wont bring up my previous issues with the game but will add to those Man Utd are too overpowered in the game. The FM World is the only place that they were clear pre-season favs for the title and a monster team in action. I can live with that though, they are defending Champions after all although we all know that doesn't tell half the story, my biggest issue is that for the 2nd year running the game has been what I would call unplayable for a large portion of the release day to Xmas window, fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.....as Grissom once said.

I genuinely believe that if/when the joy-killing bugs/issues are resolved that FM14 will be the best FM ever (in the terms that I would judge it) however I seriously doubt I shall still be playing the series at that point, the enforced absences from the game have opened my eyes to other less frustrating pass times. I don't expect anyone at SI or Sega to lose any sleep over that but it is significant that someone who has purchased all of the last 16 SI football release (FM live excluded) has lost this much faith in a brand - that umbilical cord to my wallet has been severed. I hope FM13 & 14 have taught SI a lesson or two then maybe these consecutive debacles will not have been in vain. I cant help thinking that the absence of competition has led to complacency for SI, not complacency in striving for the perfect Football Manager sim (I would never doubt SI's good intentions in that direction) but much like a Band release albums which are more and more experimental but less and less listenable so FM has turned into a festival of developers dreams but half fulfilments.

Probably flirting with my first ever infraction with this Post but at least I am being honest and all views are considered - not rage-posts.

Agreed, am in the very same boat. I told myself not to buy this until January but I caved in. Not anymore. Is this game terrible, no probably not but it's just not "fun" anymore. I know it's a sim and supposed to represent real life but I love football and am not a very good tactitian and i'm guessing most of us who buy the game are in the same boat.

I want to be able to buy the best players put them in a sensible formation and see then win, I don't want to have to get a uefa coaching badge just just to play a game. I'm sick of seeing my team not do the basics and get a sting of 6.3's and my striker to constanly miss one on ones. I long for the days when I would play MY game and take away all the stresses of life. Now it just causes more.

FM classic is a huge missed opportunity, unless the ME on classic is changed to something simpler it's pretty pointless. Thats what I want from classic a blast from the past when tactics were simpler and I could win, as aferall it it just a game fro me and i'll be moving on soon.

Well this game keeps addictive as ever, but a bit like in the previous version, i can't seem to get enjoyment from the game. I watch the game in full highlights mostly so i can track back all my tactical issues and stuff however it gets really really repetitive to see this ME in action. The poor passing, the clumsy soft play and physics, the random bugs (like a sub warming up in the middle of the pitch during the second half) but more importantly the overall play that is highly focused on the wings, the wingers\fullbacks getting to the line easily and then crossing against the defender, taking so much. Sometimes i have 15 corners in 30minutes against 1... and my highlights are basically corners, free kicks, clumsy balls on the box wasted in the least orthodox way...

I mean, i want my players to play football like a man, i want them to be strong and determined. Would it be so difficult to use a graphics engine like PES 2006? I'm sure it's not that heavy...

I tried different tactics and approaches with my top team, from very fluid to very strict to tame the annoying habit of not doing a quick cross or overall, playing faster and sharper. But no, no matter what, the fullback will go to the line, walk with the ball and get the corner, sometimes try a joke and pass it right into the line getting a goal kick.

What is with the lobbings either? the only goals i conceided so far with my super defence, were lobs from 3rd rate players or own goals due to bad communication with GK, but that it's ok... it happens in real life too right? and it made me laugh a bit even.

The game is quite nice yes, overall it improved, except the ME really. I miss FM11 or 12 can't remember, where you could tweak a team to play totally how you wanted, no matter what, you had full control and it was sometimes quite a joy to watch.

It was more fun when it was a game and not an attempt to simmulate real football. If you go by the later way, you will never achieve it because it's impossible.

Sorry for the rent and the poor english, it's not my language and i am very tired. I will keep playing the game though, it's pretty good despite not being so rewarding to watch.

There is the golden egg, FM has sold so many and hooked so many because it was easy(ish) to be a football manager. Now you have to actually be a football manager to win.

Here are three such examples from my last match. Two for me (both assists from my centre-half) and one for them (assist from their 'keeper). Would be interesting to see if you think it's worth uploading the PKM or if it's working as intended, and is just poor defending. Apologies for the poor quality.

[video=youtube;gp04njuzMys]

[video=youtube;Ef9X9OaWaPM]

[video=youtube;yCVhg89CjP4]

Archived