*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

Noticed something in the ME video that's been eating at me for a while now.

When the red/white striped shirt defender makes the clearance on 0.51 seconds and boots the ball out to the wing, the wide player receiving the long ball doesn't make any attempt to control it. Instead he attempts to make a directed header to a player over 30 yards away near the centre circle and it's intercepted and any counter-attack breaks down.

I'd think in the vast majority of cases he wouldn't attempt a header to a player so far away, regardless of his level of skill. He'd always look to control the ball first, maybe even try and flick it on for himself if he wasn't tall enough.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
Is there an explanation as to why there's a price increase from USD$39.99 to $49.99 for FM2014? For the past 3 editions, 2013, 2012 and 2011, it has always been $39.99 on STEAM.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/358668-FM2014-price-increase?p=8962510&viewfull=1#post8962510

• Administrators
Neil, will data-packs from FM13 work in FM14? I guess, the data involved (clubs, league structures and such) will be in pretty much the same place in FM14 I guess.

Would be brilliant to start FM14 as low as possible (like english 9th tier, german 6th tiert or Luxemburgs 3rd tier) and not have to wait until a data-master posts new xml's for these leagues on this website.

Can't confirm at this stage with any certainty - what with new rules and league structures which seemingly change every single season it's often quite difficult to have this compatibility between versions I'm afraid.

• Administrators

When the red/white striped shirt defender makes the clearance on 0.51 seconds and boots the ball out to the wing, the wide player receiving the long ball doesn't make any attempt to control it. Instead he attempts to make a directed header to a player over 30 yards away near the centre circle and it's intercepted and any counter-attack breaks down.

I'd think in the vast majority of cases he wouldn't attempt a header to a player so far away, regardless of his level of skill. He'd always look to control the ball first, maybe even try and flick it on for himself if he wasn't tall enough.

Do bear in mind this is still a very early stage video. But yeah, a good point raised.

I'd actually thought that was a mistake by the defender, not being aware of what was around him.

But I agree there were too many unnecessary headers in FM13

I'd actually thought that was a mistake by the defender, not being aware of what was around him.

But I agree there were too many unnecessary headers in FM13

Yeah, players under no pressure, throw in going to their team and heading the ball out when it's on the line is slightly annoying.

it must by your computer I've never had any problems with this and have seen very few who have

No it must not be my computer and I'll tell you why, and thanks for the assumption. I've had this computer for just over a year now and I've had 10 BSOD, every single one was when I was playing FM13. Every single time. I've not had a single BSOD at any other time, ever. And apart from Mass Effect 3 multiplayer sometimes having a sound bug that causes a crash, and an exact same thing with the Modern Warfare games (multiplayer again), And those crashes are 3,4,5 months apart, so very very rare.

This is the only game to ever crash on my computer every single time you play it. I build my own computers usually but this one was a gift and is a top of range gaming one, and like I said I've had virtually no problems with anything else. As you have seen very few problems, have even taken a look at the amount posted on this very site, and on other sites are those all the owners computers faults too ?.

This game is wonderful but absolutely shocking in the crashes it has. And problems that have been there for years but are never fixed, such as screens forgetting your preferences, or is that my computer too ?.

We all know this is "work in progress" but seems like there is no difference between FM 13 match engine and FM 14 match engine at all.

Obviously developers not developing from scratch they just improve fm 13 match engine so players want to see some "real improvements." You guys can't hide behind "work in progress." Every years we face same issues. If there will be miracle we'll really experience improved match engine but again, we all know that that's not going to happend because not happened recent years.

We all know this is "work in progress" but seems like there is no difference between FM 13 match engine and FM 14 match engine at all.

Obviously developers not developing from scratch they just improve fm 13 match engine so players want to see some "real improvements." You guys can't hide behind "work in progress." Every years we face same issues. If there will be miracle we'll really experience improved match engine but again, we all know that that's not going to happend because not happened recent years.

It happened last year, what are you on about?

Create a thread here and we'll try to fix the issues for you - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/295-Crashes-and-Technical-Issues

Thanks.

Do you know what, no I can't be bothered although I do appreciate you replying with the offer of help. There are a couple of reasons why. One I am so fed up I simply don't want to play it anymore. And two, I don't see the point as FM14 is so close, when I try the demo, and if it runs ok I would never go back to FM13 anyway, just like I don't go back to any of the previous games.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just completely fed up with it all. (not the gameplay, which I love).

It brought so much complaints with it. I mean, I don't want just a new thing, I want better game. So, in last year: "didn't happen"

There were certainly major issues with 13.2, but 13.3 was a better match engine than 12.3.

It did happen. What can't happen is a repeat of 13.2.

There were certainly major issues with 13.2, but 13.3 was a better match engine than 12.3.

It did happen. What can't happen is a repeat of 13.2.

Things got worse with FM 13 if we compare to older ones. Then they made a patch to fix their mess. This is not a real improvement for me, sorry. I think they're capable of doing better but they take things slow because there's no competition in market.

There are obviously a lots of improvements to the ME. It's very clear in that video. Through balls are present and they are weighted properly and not underhit like most on FM13. Player movement looks pretty good. I was impressed with the rushing GK save to tip it wide for a corner. that was beautiful! Some of the ball physics with the shooting needs tweaking though. There is massive power behind some of the early shots!

At 0:10

it's not such improvement (seen also some other bad defensive movements along the video...), but there's so much time to polish everything. I noticed new animations, that's good.. nice rushing out from GKs as HUNT3R said and good tackles preventing from sure goals.

Not sounding overly defensive, but I always find it a bit odd when someone expects brilliant defensive moves in what it essentially an attacking highlights-reel. The same as when players watch matches on their game in "key highlights" by which it should be clear that there won't be brilliant defensive behavior on display. If there was, the sequence wasn't flagged as "key highlight" aka big opportunity, no? :-D

Still all you can usually filter from these videos is bits of aesthetics, as for the AI and tactics... not that very much.

• Administrators
Do you know what, no I can't be bothered although I do appreciate you replying with the offer of help. There are a couple of reasons why. One I am so fed up I simply don't want to play it anymore. And two, I don't see the point as FM14 is so close, when I try the demo, and if it runs ok I would never go back to FM13 anyway, just like I don't go back to any of the previous games.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just completely fed up with it all. (not the gameplay, which I love).

If the issue is related to your system (which in all likeliness from my experience with these kinds of issues it is) you may well encounter the same problems with FM14. If you raise your issue I can at least try and diagnose the problem.

Not sounding overly defensive, but I always find it a bit odd when someone expects brilliant defensive moves in what it essentially an attacking highlights-reel. The same as when players watch matches on their game in "key highlights" by which it should be clear that there won't be brilliant defensive behavior on display. If there was, the sequence wasn't flagged as "key highlight" aka big opportunity, no? :-D

Still all you can usually filter from these videos is bits of aesthetics, as for the AI and tactics... not that very much.

Ah yes. This reminds me if all the defenders had a flawless game, all the matches would end 0-0 :)

Actually, I think this ME video is better than the ones shown in previous years. We saw a variety of goals, last ditch tackles, a nice passing display down the left wing (with the crowd playing along!) and a few nice saves among other things. Previous years it used to be only goals, which didn't show off too much variety.

So the "new features" have been reclassified as "improvements and enhancements." I am happy about this, it is only a subtle change but I was fully expecting the ridiculous "1000 new features" claims of previous releases to be back this year. Thank you SI.

I am morally opposed to steam, but I think the new integration with it sounds really promising. Cloud save is brilliant, and from the limited amount I have seen, Steam Workshop does look great.

"The 3D Match Engine has seen extensive improvements." Sorry, I have heard this one before.

Tactical Overhaul : I am really looking forward to seeing more about this. It looks promising in the pictures.

More realistic transfers and contracts. This sounds AWESOME! Much needed. I'm happy to hear about the introduction of the live system to transfer offers.

More sophisticated board interaction. AMAZING! Really looking forward to seeing this in action.

Improved interaction with players, staff and media This sounds and looks good.

News, UI, and FMC I'm not bothered.

Overall, a great start!

My concerns are:

The price increase. I'm morally opposed to this, microtransactions are in the game, the price shouldn't be going up.

No news on AI transfers or squad building.

No network game news

No scouting news! I am ready to pre-order the game on the basis of improvements to this! Making teams request large amounts of money for their players is a silly means of reaching the logical end. It needs to be harder to find players and require more time to scout them.

Looking forward to the rest of the news!

I don't want to be a d*ck to SI cause I know very well how ridiculously difficult it is to get things right (and then to market them), but I'd have been excited by that video if this game was named Ice Skating Manager 2014. Not really feeling the amazement vibes here.

Couple nice tiki-taka-ish moves though.

edit: also, is it just me, or do players in that vid look like they're doing waaaaay too many one-touch moves. One touch passes. One touch shots. One touch crosses.

I'm not seeing the ice skating many people talk about. What I do notice, however, is something no one mentioned. It's in FM 13, too, the so called improved ball physics; when the ball bounces off the ground, it literally looks like a rock gliding on ice.

The difference in perception, I guess.

i see there are major GUI changes mentioned.

Can it be confirmed if the general size of text has been made significantly bigger? i know it has been a big problem for a lot of people who try to play the game in their native screen resolution of 1920x1200, or similar, and the text is far too small.

higher resolutions should not equal smaller text.

i myself have to make do with a FM resolution of 1024x768 just to get it to a reasonable size and obviously this means the match day graphics suffer.

1- Did you change players attributes range to 1-100 or is still 1-20?

2- Do we see a different play system between a Premier League club and a weak team of 7th division? I make this question because occurs that weak clubs play like Barcelona when they have among themselves in their divisions.

3- Do you add new options to the leagues/cups editor?

I like the new tactical options, although I'm still curious to know whether the sliders will still be in the background. The improved transfer options also sound good, especially being able to loan players back straight away, and offering loan deals in transfer negotiations.

New ways of interacting with the board are also a plus sign.

My one main worry is related to whether we have to have Steam online all the time. I've always kept it offline, only going online to download a patch. I've always felt that this avoids some of the issues appearing which are often complained about on here. I hope the few posts in this thread suggesting that Steam needs to be online to play aren't the case.

So far I like what I read, but I'm also a bit worried about the lack of News surrounding network play. I really hope that SI/Steam manages to overcome the current issues that network play offers, and imploy some of the features requested/asked for by alot of the network community

As my clan m8 states no news on any improvements for the Full Simulation Network game and steam also lists FM14 as Single player only - I assume this is an oversight???

My one main worry is related to whether we have to have Steam online all the time. I've always kept it offline, only going online to download a patch. I've always felt that this avoids some of the issues appearing which are often complained about on here. I hope the few posts in this thread suggesting that Steam needs to be online to play aren't the case.

Not sure where you got this impression, it won't be any different.

just wanted to say really excited to hear the new game announcement.

really enjoy fm13, but the only improvement id really like to see is the network game feature as play this mainly, and there are several issues with fm13 that didnt really get fixed with the network game. hoping these are addressed.

thanks

Yay! Will be an amazing autumn with FM14, Fifa 14, GTA V...

While I have been playing FM13 this years I have spotted some things that I think need to be better, is there a specific thread that I can report this or can I do it here?

If the issue is related to your system (which in all likeliness from my experience with these kinds of issues it is) you may well encounter the same problems with FM14. If you raise your issue I can at least try and diagnose the problem.

It isn't an issue with my system, unless what you are telling me is, that my computer can play every other game going except this one. Because my system is at fault. 100's of games play fine but my system is at fault for the multiple problems isolated to just this game. Ok I think not to be honest.

The same issue have been with every version of the game since year dot. It's just this version is the worst of all for it and those issues are now much more frequent. And the computer my son has, which has the demo only. Exact same problems. I do apologise as I'm not trying to be confrontational but if you are unaware of the multiple problems this game causes (I think you are aware) fair enough.

It isn't an issue with my system, unless what you are telling me is, that my computer can play every other game going except this one. Because my system is at fault. 100's of games play fine but my system is at fault for the multiple problems isolated to just this game. Ok I think not to be honest.

The same issue have been with every version of the game since year dot. It's just this version is the worst of all for it and those issues are now much more frequent. And the computer my son has, which has the demo only. Exact same problems. I do apologise as I'm not trying to be confrontational but if you are unaware of the multiple problems this game causes (I think you are aware) fair enough.

I am going to safely say it is your system, something is there that is causing these problems, maybe driver, file related but I can say 100% it is on your end and not on the games end.

Why can I be so sure?

Simple, if it was in the game code then everyone would be having these problems, you don't need to be a genius to work that out.

I and many others play the game(or used to play the game) for hours and hours and not have your problems.

Neil gave you a window for help but as you said you could not be bothered anymore, the thing is if you go through it now and get the solution then when FM14 releases you can buy the game with confidence you have the problem sorted, or at the very least know what the problem is and look to fix it.

When you put attributes to players is 1-20 in the editor and is 1-20 in the game.

It should be 1-100 (or 1-200) in all sections.

Why? Is Gerrard's long passing 87? 83? 92? Mikel's stamina 67? 72? 73? Suarez's biting 99? 92? 89?

1-20 is far more accurate.

Why? Is Gerrard's long passing 87? 83? 92? Mikel's stamina 67? 72? 73? Suarez's biting 99? 92? 89?

Agreed, i don't need to know if someones's passing is 87 or 88, 1-20 is more than enough info. Personally i would prefer when judging a player if it was more about their performances than their ratings on paper.

It's the opposite. How can be more accurate a range of 1-20 instead of 1-100?

I would expect a range between 1 and 20 in an arcade game, not in a football management video game. It's a system that CM/FM uses from the first 1992 edition, it was fine years ago, not now.

Considering that it's finished the age of leagues with two/three divisions after they added the competitions editor, it's necessary a change. Now you can push a nation to the 10th tier, but it's impossible set proper attributes differences between a player of 5th division and another of 10th.

Others are trying to say it is easier to determine if a player's finishing from a researchers point of view if it was 1-20 than 1-200. If Falcao has 18 finishing on the 1-20 scale, should it be 175,176,177,178,179,180,181,182,183 or 184 on the game? I don't need to know to the nth degree how accurate his finishing is, a ballpark figure of 18 is enough for me to say, he he's good I'll bid for him. Anything elze just complicates matters.

I'm getting far too excited for this game already, some of the features such as the new tactical set up look superb!

Archived