*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

There already is a difference (even in FM13) how the game runs in 32 or 64 bit. You can run more leagues quicker with a 64 bit machine.

So the actual answer is: no it's still 32 bit then?

Guess Linux was considered more important than having the game make the most of players available hardware.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the actual answer is: no it's still 32 bit then?

Guess Linux was considered more important than having the game make the most of players available hardware.

What does it matter what the label is? What matters is how well it runs.

One thing that has been missing from FM for a couple of versions now, not 100% if this can be incorporated into the ME but, when a player goes clean through 1 on 1 and for the keeper to bring him down (dive by forward?..dependant on goalscoring opportunity ..red/yellow card?? This is a must really in my opinion..thoughts..?

What does it matter what the label is? What matters is how well it runs.

what matters is how well it runs is exactly the point. Surely it stands to reason that the game performance and therefore user experience could be much improved if it could utilise the majority of the 16gb ram on the machine I am making this post from for example, instead of being limited to 4gb???

what matters is how well it runs is exactly the point. Surely it stands to reason that the game performance and therefore user experience could be much improved if it could utilise the majority of the 16gb ram on the machine I am making this post from for example, instead of being limited to 4gb???

I play with all leagues active and at no point does the game use even close to 4gb memory.

I play with all leagues active and at no point does the game use even close to 4gb memory.

I would definitely pay extra to have a version that fully uses the power of my machine(even though I'm not a big fan of DLC).

Selling 32bit systems should be considered a crime these days!

What struck me most about the match engine footage was that there are (as in previous years) way too many balls being played in an arc, where it would be much more natural to pass it along the ground.

In general, I wish for more hard passes along the ground, and less through the air, where it's possible.

The much better ME every year alone makes this a worthwhile purchase. The bonus is, you get a few additional features as well.

You dismiss features like the steam workshop thing way too easily. It's a pain to look for certain skins, logos etc. Now it's all in one place and it's easy to share, download and apply to your FM. Take a read through some of the skin/logo threads. Hundreds of people get the installation process wrong. Now (fingers crossed) that is a thing of the past.

Tbh, I don't remember what was new for FM13. I think the training overhaul was? The one new addition I do remember, is FMC. Something that I won't use. I've clocked up 1700hrs on my one and only save and it's mostly down to the ME. I've watched every game in real time.

FM14 pre-order is a no-brainer for me and the additional features won't affect the decision at all. My mind was made up even before the ME video was released.

There's no guarantee the ME will be better each year. The FM13 ME is pretty good, so I'm happy to play a few more seasons on that.

The training overhaul was in FM13 and I like it this way, much better than before. Which gives me another reason to continue with this version.

I dismiss the Steam workshop because I have no interest in skins, logos, etc. I just play the game out of the box.

My post was just about my personal preferences - I'm not going to say the game is rubbish or try to convince others not to buy it, I'm just saying that I'm not likely too.

There's no guarantee the ME will be better each year. The FM13 ME is pretty good, so I'm happy to play a few more seasons on that.

The training overhaul was in FM13 and I like it this way, much better than before. Which gives me another reason to continue with this version.

I dismiss the Steam workshop because I have no interest in skins, logos, etc. I just play the game out of the box.

My post was just about my personal preferences - I'm not going to say the game is rubbish or try to convince others not to buy it, I'm just saying that I'm not likely too.

Wouldn't you use logos if all you had to do was click a tickbox?

• SI Staff
I would definitely pay extra to have a version that fully uses the power of my machine(even though I'm not a big fan of DLC).

Selling 32bit systems should be considered a crime these days!

As said by endtime, the game never uses much beyond 3GB at worst, let alone 4GB so there really wouldn't be any advantage to 64bit (the most advantage would probably be a minor speed up as you don't need the wow64 emulation layer)

Please make sure that the AI is properly ready by the time the game is released and please have it balanced. If that is any kind of a "taster" for 3d match engine I have no problem sticking with the enhanced 2d, but I want to see the AI act and play properly. Shots go to the corner flags all too often like it was a Sunday League game and things such as passing and tackling really give me headaches. I agree that more dialogue is needed, but it needs to be realistic and team talks have got to be rehauled. I mean there is a guide on what to say and when to say it online so it's a very rehearsed thing that is going on here. Time to change that up immediately.

#3 I don't care if managers don't do detailed tactics in RL (I know some do - Bielsa?), but since the players in FM don't have a brain, I like to be able to micromanage them.

Well, that was kinda my point. Rather than more details in the tactics manager, I'd be happier if the AI of the players was improved to the point I did not have to give him such explicit instructions to do what he should know to do in the match.

Wouldn't you use logos if all you had to do was click a tickbox?

Yeah, I can't imagine why a person would NOT want the names of the leagues and the cups to be accurate, as well as the kits to be as accurate as possible, if all you had to do was a simple mouse click or two. I'd guess that if it was an option in the game, everyone would choose it.

I always end up downloading the league and cup names and the graphics mods that make the kits and logos correct, etc. But it is indeed a pain in the aspirin bottle, and I seem to always have them not take the first time, so I go back, re-read the instructions, make sure they have been extracted to the correct location, etc. It would be wonderful if the process of installing (and uninstalling) such enhancements was made mouse-click simple.

I would really like to see the editor improved; any news if this is getting a re-vamp?

I got a little bored of just going through the same motions year after year and now spend my time creating my own leagues / players etc and then watching it run, mostly as a holiday game. I might spend weeks on the editor and only hours watching it run before making changes and going back.

In the game, players have attitudes. I would love to be able to create players / staff that want to leave the club they are registered with. I know in the editor know I am able to set players up to have a desire for certain things, but it's not the same.

Contracts sadly are too rigid in the editor. Again I want to be able to set players up that are automatically transfer listed by request or no longer wanted by the clubs

Loans also need amending. I can set a player up to go out on loan, but I cannot setup any specifics (ie. can play in cup matches / monthly fees)

I could go on, but won't.

Guest phil_c64

@ SI Staff

Can I make a suggestion that will be the biggest significant improvement in the game's series?

Invest heavily in beta testing to iron out the amount of bugs normally found in the game upon it's release. It's good adding features every season but I planned to and never did buy 2013 as the reviews were horrid regarding crashing, AI behavior, unrecoverable games. More than "1000 improvements" is perhaps a nice way of saying 1000 fixes but after patch 3 is what the game should be like upon it's launch.

This is not a go or pop shot but a genuine suggestion to freeze features and fix bugs. Extend the period of beta testing, hire more testers, something NEEDS to change in this area It really isn't good enough that a game get's released and only with hundreds of fixes that game is then fully stable and playable. The impression given is that the game is rushed out to meet deadlines.

I'd love to come back to FM. It's not good that people associate this game with "don't buy it on it's launch, but wait until it's patched and works properly". I've heard this so so many times.

Please SI do something in regards to pre-launch bug testing. Having a game fully playable off the shelf really would be the best enhancement this game could have.

Many thanks for the consideration.

After falling out of love with the awful FM2013 -so unenjoyable I had to go back to playing FM2012 and have not played for months rest assured I will monitor responses to FM2014 see if these so called improvements are for real before handing over my cash.

Yes I think most are playing fm2012 ... fm2013 killed of my love for fm ... fm2013 was so awful it will take a big turn around for me

@ SI Staff

Can I make a suggestion that will be the biggest significant improvement in the game's series?

Invest heavily in beta testing to iron out the amount of bugs normally found in the game upon it's release. It's good adding features every season but I planned to and never did buy 2013 as the reviews were horrid regarding crashing, AI behavior, unrecoverable games. More than "1000 improvements" is perhaps a nice way of saying 1000 fixes but after patch 3 is what the game should be like upon it's launch.

This is not a go or pop shot but a genuine suggestion to freeze features and fix bugs. Extend the period of beta testing, hire more testers, something NEEDS to change in this area It really isn't good enough that a game get's released and only with hundreds of fixes that game is then fully stable and playable. The impression given is that the game is rushed out to meet deadlines.

I'd love to come back to FM. It's not good that people associate this game with "don't buy it on it's launch, but wait until it's patched and works properly". I've heard this so so many times.

Please SI do something in regards to pre-launch bug testing. Having a game fully playable off the shelf really would be the best enhancement this game could have.

Many thanks for the consideration.

We have been over this hundreds of times before, but anyone who preorders is a beta tester, so its not like they need to hire more.

Pushing back the release wouldn't bring forward the date at which the game became suitable for whatever demands you have, so noone would gain anything from it but the fact they wouldn't be complaining, due to not playing ANY fm at all, until a bit later in the year.

If anything delaying the release would push back the date at which it reaches your magic level of acceptableness, as there would be fewer beta testers, fewer bug reports, and less progress.

How about implementing what Man Utd has done in the past week and made a combined bid for Fellaini and Baines. After accepting the bid then 2 separate contract offers can proceed, but if one player rejects the contract offer then the deal is off.

What does everyone think?

I was just wondering if SI has any plans to improve the matchday sound and commentary. I just feel that these areas have been neglected in the last few versions.

Commentary will not be included according to what I saw Miles post on twitter a few days ago

How about implementing what Man Utd has done in the past week and made a combined bid for Fellaini and Baines. After accepting the bid then 2 separate contract offers can proceed, but if one player rejects the contract offer then the deal is off.

Why not just make bids for 2 players

Can't see myself buying Fm14 - I've gone back to FM12 which is much more responsive in the UI than FM13.

I don't mind playing FM12 - as I usually start out as a lower division club in a Leauge I'm not familiar with - so I don't need to know all the best and worst players.

It's not until about 15-20 years in game that I eventually start managing teams who can challenge for a title in a major league.

FM12 works just fine for me.

FM13 doesn't and I won't be spending anymore on future releases - for now.

It wasnt necessarily a combined bid of just 28 mill for two players. It was two bids that added up to 28 mill overall.

Why oh why do players still chip the ball in the air when a simple pass a long the floor will sufice. This really irked me in 2013 and judging from that footage it's not really been addressed.

Idd.. If God wanted us to play football in the air, then he would have built a pitch in the clouds :)

I was just wondering if SI has any plans to improve the matchday sound and commentary. I just feel that these areas have been neglected in the last few versions.

The matchday sound update has been needed for years. It would make a massive difference to the feel of the game. I think there also needs to be a bit more of a celebration when you win something, as currently there's just some confetti and a couple of news items. Sometimes it should feel like more of an achievement (somehow).

That would be a nice addition, although probably a very low priority one.

Archived