*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the 'Work in Progress' match engine video of FM14. Still looks like a lot of work needed on defending. So I won't be pre-ordering this year, but I will download the demo and have a play. If it works then I'll buy the game, if it doesn't then I won't, simple as.

This paragraph is taken from the above interview:

You mentioned that you were able to expand the team. What did having a bigger workforce enable you to do on Football Manager 2014 that you couldn't do before?

"There's probably 150 or so new features that are in FM14 that would not have been possible had we not been able to hire last year, because we did better than expected on FM12 as well, and in the longer term for FM15 it will mean better technology.

Does this possibly mean that they are looking to make FM15 a fully 64bit game and take advantage of improving technology or am I reading too much into it?

"Also, things like the match engine team - that used to be three people, one doing the AI, one doing the animations and one doing the 3D. That team's now up to eight because there is a lot of ambition on the match team in the direction that they want to go, so we need extra bodies on there."

By reading this i can honest say that i'm amazed by the quality of the match engine! Only 3 people working on such a huge part of the game!

It's really nice to know that the team is getting bigger. No doubt that it improve the game!

Its very..well...interesting that a company like SI had ONE guy working on the ME AI.

What is more interesting is that "that ONE" did better than anyone else on the football managing videogames market since ages ago until today, and most likely even tomorrow.

I wish for FM14 you where to be have some affect on what position your better youth prospects play, as I have alot of forward players on FM13 that are 4 and 5 star potential but no defenders, I am in 2021 on my current save.

It's not the best solution, but you can re-train players to the position you'd like them to play. For example, you get a technically poor, but physically powerful forward so you train him a CB. If he's got a lot of potential he'll end up a good defender. Where he plays won't effect his development overly.

They are not a massive workforce TBH

70+ people working full time in the meantime. Eidos Montreal's Thief development team is said to be around 50 in size, by comparison. Now of course SI don't develop the desktop FM only, there's also the co-development of FM Online, the handheld versions, the new Linux port. Still that's got to be the biggest team that has ever developed in this genre by far. In comparison, their only competitior, Bright Future in Cologne, used to consist of about 35 people who also developed browser games, and current rumors have it there were layoffs and the series might have reached its end. Not a good thing if you ask me for the market, mind.

Maybe the "consistency" in development, Paul Collyer "leading it all the way through" was the reason why the ME remained largely robust and on a mainly unshackled course to make it better. More people doesn't necessarily equal a better result. As for the play, SI have asked real-life football people on input anyhow, and the optional 3d player models and animations were always somebody else's business. It was just Paul Collyer translating that input into the ME code, which, warts and all, must be one of the best kept secrets in the history of football management games, seeing as how many have failed to cope in this area in particular.

One of the mistakes of big publishers such as EA and Konami was not least that they took their FIFA and PES action engines at the core and tried to shoehorn a management experience into that. No matter how superior the animations may have been, they never made up for that you never felt like you're managing a football team, as was (and still is) the case in the current iterations of FIFA Manager, for instance: There are sliders for time wasting, passing risk, a ton of things, but in the end, both yours as well as the AI team is on full-on direct attack for "90 minutes". It speaks volumes that SI reigned supreme even when they only had 2d dots battling against PES and FIFA visuals, really.

Then again the reason PaulC is doing this all by himself could be that he's the only one who has any hopes of making heads or tails of the code by now. :D Pretty dangerous should he ever move away from FM for SI though or retire or similar, though. I genuinely think the ME, how it reflects individual attributes, goes for the fully 90 minutes of football, how it makes for overall decently realistic statistics (for the most part) AND allows for a number of styles and strategies to shine through for both AI as human teams -- I think that is one reason why FM is still around when so many have closed shop. You can cry foul over the many instances where it fails you, you can go nuts over the 3D animations optional to the classic 2d dots done by a really small team, and rage about ballancing issues. In the end it's management, at least a little bit. Watching two teams of FIFA and PES Soccer AI having a frantic go at each other in two by six minutes of play cutting football short of much of its inherent features and headroom for tactics rather isn't very very much.

I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FM SERIES SINCE CM02/03... IN THE LAST GAME (2013) I COULDNT ADAPT MYSELF TO THE GAME BECAUSE OF THE CONFUSING GAME MENUS AND GAME LOGIC (ALSO DOWNLOADED SKINS AND STILL CONFUSING GAME) , PLEASE TELL THE DEVELOPERS THAT MAKE IT SIMPLE, IF NOT THERE IS A LOT OF PLAYER GETTING BORED WITH THE COMPLEX MENU AND COMPLEX GAME LOGIC, I HOPE THAT MESSEGE GOES TO THE RESPONSILBE PEOPLE

p.s. : i know there is a classical skin but it doesnt serve well either :(

May I enquire how many of the 8 man team are working on ME AI instead of graphical representation?

To be blunt, no :) it might be of passing interest but tbh it's none of your business unless you're expecting to take Paul Cs' job in the near future?

To be blunt, no :) it might be of passing interest but tbh it's none of your business unless you're expecting to take Paul Cs' job in the near future?

To be blunt, it's not your question to answer. You're just a volunteer moderator.

Well it wouldn't be realistic for anyone to pursue a job working with the ME, would it? But I could help you guys out with stuff that really matters: more variety in the boots and haircuts!

Well it wouldn't be realistic for anyone to pursue a job working with the ME, would it? But I could help you guys out with stuff that really matters: more variety in the boots and haircuts!

You do a fine job of that by pointing out what you find wrong with the game, it's up to them how they deal with it.

SI staff get somewhat irked by people continually advising them how to run their business which is why I replied as I did, the fact that FM is increasingly popular and profitable after 25 years when the only credible opposition went broke tends to justify that.

I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FM SERIES SINCE CM02/03... IN THE LAST GAME (2013) I COULDNT ADAPT MYSELF TO THE GAME BECAUSE OF THE CONFUSING GAME MENUS AND GAME LOGIC (ALSO DOWNLOADED SKINS AND STILL CONFUSING GAME) , PLEASE TELL THE DEVELOPERS THAT MAKE IT SIMPLE, IF NOT THERE IS A LOT OF PLAYER GETTING BORED WITH THE COMPLEX MENU AND COMPLEX GAME LOGIC, I HOPE THAT MESSEGE GOES TO THE RESPONSILBE PEOPLE

p.s. : i know there is a classical skin but it doesnt serve well either

why nobody says anything about that ???

Hoping that ME is truly still a work in progress... because for what i see from de video still has the same problem than de 2013 ME : the ball slides like a pool table ball. That, and some other problems with FM2013 made me stop playing the game and go back to FM 2012.

The movement of the ball is not realistic. Long passes only function if played to the feet of the player: not real! I would like to play to space, not to feet.

If this hisn´t changed i will not buy the game.

2 solutions:

-Play CM02/03

-Play CM01/02

I remember we had this discussion one year ago in OTF. The complain is basically the same: because you want to play FM, you must install Steam. Steam is a good platform for gamers, if you want to play other games. But I want to play FM and FM only and not other games. If I install Steam, it will be in my Surface forever without use, other than launching FM.

So what, you get to play FM who cares if a tiny little program is sat in your 'surface' forever! Anyway do what you want be petty about it as I said I will be enjoying the game I love and you'll be sat there not playing it again over your gripe against a trivial little thing.

I find your use of massive text confusing!

Well cut it out please, it's not clever or amusing.

Thanks kriss, you re a really fine Moderator... and I am just a consumer who is sharing his ideas about the game, if it is disturbing, sorry, i wont write anymore, take care.

The game works off the shelf. Stop with the stupid hyperboles.

I'm with you endtime.......it always works off of the shelf....a few patches soon after release will always happen with every game........after all these years I've come to realize that the Brits can be quite excitable over the smallest detail.

I remember we had this discussion one year ago in OTF. The complain is basically the same: because you want to play FM, you must install Steam. Steam is a good platform for gamers, if you want to play other games. But I want to play FM and FM only and not other games. If I install Steam, it will be in my Surface forever without use, other than launching FM.

You can do what I do: put Steam into offline mode (because I use it only for Football Manager on my Surface) and don't have it run at startup.

That way, it's only ever there when you are playing Football Manager.

Related to this, fans need to stop getting upset when I sell random reserve players who'll never amount to anything.

Agreed. The whole confidence section needs some work. I sold someone who had barely featured for me for a couple of seasons and the fans were appalled.

Don't know if this feature has been discussed or is actually being added to the game, but wouldn't mind seeing 'areas' within a country have a higher desirable destination appeal to players when buying.

As shown in real life in some scenarios for example Remy. Newcastle & QPR in very similar situations where Premiership safety was far from secure both tried to sign him with the player choosing QPR which the location of the club could have played a significant feature as London is more desirable than Newcastle.

Could also be implemented into normal/free signings for lower league clubs/lower rep players. As someone from the north of England who's been playing semi professional in real life would not move to a southern based club because financially it wouldn't be viable for him. This could be determined by their place of birth/last club and would most likely not move a great distance from the certain area. Would allow for certain lower league clubs to gain advantage of other lower league clubs due to their location. As in real life semi professional clubs around London would be far more likely to pick up ex academy players from the London area than clubs around the Manchester area and vice versa.

Hope that makes sense :)

Don't know if this feature has been discussed or is actually being added to the game, but wouldn't mind seeing 'areas' within a country have a higher desirable destination appeal to players when buying

It's been in the game for quite a few years now, in the editor, each city has an "attractiveness" rating. This has a marginal impact on where players want to move to, you can occasionally see players reference this in transfer news stories.

Looking good from what I have seen so far, but there are a couple of things in FM13 GUI / usability I hope will be improved upon in FM14 that have not featured in the screenshots / videos.

1. The Browse button with which you can interrupt the game processing. Currently it is, quite unfathomably really, placed hovering right over the Continue button. Would be great if this was changed in some way, as it is way too easy to accidentally click Continue instead of Browse and achieve the exact opposite of what you wanted to make happen.

2. In my opinion one of the most tedious aspects of the game is player contract negotiations. Setting up a contract offer requires gazillion clicks and then you cannot return to your previous offer when the player / his agent comes back with heavily altered counter offer. A way to save basic contract "forms" and ability to return to previous offer instead of just viewing it would be a step forward.

Another thing is the change that will be occurring in the structure of the Italian league over the next couple of seasons. Series C1 and C2 are being combined to become one level Serie C. Hopefully these alterations are included in FM14, and I fully expect them to be, since they were decided on quite some time ago. What I'm really getting at is that it would be shame if the Italian league in FM essentially lost one level in depth. That is why I wish Serie D would be added to the game. Serie D would also allow big Eccellenza clubs like Andria, Ravenna, Siracusa etc. who have recently played at a considerably higher level, to have a way to promote to manageable tier.

Hi, i play this fantastic game since 2000 or so and i every year notice the same issue: the players price. It always is very different from the value wrote in the player profile and i find this "non sense". Nowadays, the cost of the TOP PLAYERS around the world is about 50/60M € (except Bale and a few other players) than, i find unreal when a club wants 240 for Neymar, 90 for Papadopoulos or Corchia, 150 for Yarmolenko and many more examples. Would be a great fix if the club ask you a proper price.

Now another suggestion that could improve the experience and make the game more real: the introduction of "micro-tactics"..a sort of tactic inside the tactic! Would be possible adding a new creator for this purpose where you can shape your game, create schemes (and train them), drawing all the moves and all the passes the players must do in that scheme, split the offensive phase from the defence phase and other thing.

I think this 2 fixes are the greatest changes you can make. :)

What looks to be a severe lack of responses in the forums compared to FM12 and FM13... I think it's safe to say SI have lost a few customers for FM14....

Not trying to say anything too bad - but FM13 wasn't a WOW and I don't really know how they can keep adding features and not improve on other things.

Perhaps time could be spent overhauling existing features rather trying to add new things that nobody really wants.

I don't really know how they can keep adding features and not improve on other things. Perhaps time could be spent overhauling existing features rather trying to add new things that nobody really wants.

Problems reading?

• An improved 3D Match Engine
  • A tactical overhaul
  • More realistic transfers and contracts
  • More sophisticated board interaction
  • More complex interaction between staff, players and rival managers
  • A revamped news system
  • An enhanced user interface
  • Extensive tech improvements

They sound like improvements to existing features to me, and that isn't the complete list by any means.

What looks to be a severe lack of responses in the forums compared to FM12 and FM13... I think it's safe to say SI have lost a few customers for FM14....

Not trying to say anything too bad - but FM13 wasn't a WOW and I don't really know how they can keep adding features and not improve on other things.

Perhaps time could be spent overhauling existing features rather trying to add new things that nobody really wants.

It's not safe to make any conclusion in any direction. Talk about jumping the gun.

Kriss

Your comment is noted - but it's rude to an extent.

Those things like 3d match engine are updated all the time - so are tactics, and transfers and contracts etc.

I'll look more into the things you say and try the trial

But it's not looking good for Fm at the rate it's going.

From a user of about 15 seasons!

Pffft - been on this roller coaster far too many times.

I know when the ride ends.

You wouldnt have said the bold then. Every year someone says, its on a downward spiral.. every year it doesnt happen at that point. It's short sighted to make any predictions, until the game actually starts selling.

You certainly wouldnt use GD as the barometer for the future of FM. It should have died at least 3 times using that notion.

Have no idea what you're talking about.

There's some elements of the game the will take a forever to get right - accepted.

Adding new features when existing features don't work or need improvement is mad.

All I'm saying is to concentrate on existing features to improve them - and not add new features.

Example

Improve Scouting screen UI

Don't spend time animating the news screen flying in and out

Archived