*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

Well, we really don't.

DLFs and CFs are supporting roles (reduced CF, support passing, HUB etc), I'm pretty sure the false nine role is more focal in that it has the passing range of a playmaker and according creative freedom. An advanced playmaker stays centrally (no roaming, no specific wide play instructions), a trequartista moves about (roaming, move into channels). So false 9 is an attack duty player that drops deep and stays central and is allowed freedom.

But it's all to SI's interpretation and how the ME interprets the instructions. We'll see how it exactly looks soon enough. I hope they aren't just renaming an existing role, but of course there's a slim possibility of that as well.

What do you mean by "support passing"? Is that "shorter passing"? There are very little differences between AP and DLF, from what I've seen. Of course the obvious one is the wide play, but then most striker's roles have "moves into channels" while most midfielder's roles do not.

So you think the False 9 would have high (i.e. attacking) mentality, no RFD, no roaming, normal wide play and high Creative Freedom?

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you mean by "support passing"? Is that "shorter passing"? There are very little differences between AP and DLF, from what I've seen. Of course the obvious one is the wide play, but then most striker's roles have "moves into channels" while most midfielder's roles do not.

So you think the False 9 would have high (i.e. attacking) mentality, no RFD, no roaming, normal wide play and high Creative Freedom?

Yeah, something like that. Probably has roaming though. And mentality is probably lower compared to other attack duty strikers. No idea how the TC will handle it in two-striker formations. Will the false nine be the FCd or FCa?

Passing frameworks are such that defend, support and attack duties have their own passing settings. Whether it's shorter or longer depends on match strategy. Hence "support passing".

They also need licenses for them, the same goes for competition names, club kits, logos...
Presumably the community can make them, like they do for facepacks, logos etc. So here's a question - is it okay for the community to make graphic (and sound) enhancements without having licences, copyright etc, and load them up on the Steam Workshop or whatever its called? I mean, Ronaldo's agents aren't going to go after a wee community member who made a facepack for FM with him in it, but might they go after Steam/SI for hosting it??

I like playing in the lower leagues and taking small clubs up the divisions and onwards to continental glory. Doing this, there are a couple of things I think could be improved to increase realism, and in the end the enjoyability of the game.

1. At least in the bigger leagues where I have mostly managed, when clubs move up from the lower leagues, their maximum attendances and subsequently sizes of their new in-game built stadiums increase too much. Sure there are teams that could have much larger following if they were playing on a higher level, but in the game the local fanbase generally grows way way too much.

2. Promotion from non-playable leagues to the lowest game levels is based on teams' reputations, which is fine, but it should include a lot more randomness than it currently does. Id est clubs with low reputation should have bigger chance to be promoted than they now have.

Case in point. Nine clubs were promoted IRL from the Spanish Third Division at the end of 2012-13. They include El Palo, Laudio and Olot. In FM13 those clubs have so low reputations that they in practice have absolutely no chance of promotion to the Second Division B.

Case in point. Fourteen clubs were promoted from the Italian Serie D at the end of 2012-13, among them Bra, Delta Porto Tolle, Ischia, Real Vicenza, Tuttocuoio and Virtus Verona. These clubs have very low in-game reputations and most would have no chance of promotion.

Smaller max attendance growth, smaller new stadiums and more random promotion to lowest playable level please! :thup:

I'm a lower league manager and I see where you're coming from.

For point 1 - yes, my clubs do seem to increases attendances by 60-80% each promotion, although after a couple of seasons they're still the lowest in the division, so it's still a challenge.

For point 2 - yes again, that is annoying that the same few teams get promoted/relegated every time. My fix is to go into the editor and equalise the reps of a bunch of clubs in the lower league. It's not ideal, but you can compensate for this with the editor.

Presumably the community can make them, like they do for facepacks, logos etc. So here's a question - is it okay for the community to make graphic (and sound) enhancements without having licences, copyright etc, and load them up on the Steam Workshop or whatever its called? I mean, Ronaldo's agents aren't going to go after a wee community member who made a facepack for FM with him in it, but might they go after Steam/SI for hosting it??

That's an interesting point. I don't know much about the Steam Workshop- can anyone with more experience enlighten us as to just how community-produced, unlicensed mods are dealt with for other games?

Well more or less guessing here, but giving it a shot anyway:

halfback - defensive midfielder or anchorman w/ mentality-2, possibly no HUB and doesn't lower d-line like regular DMs

target flank man - winger assigned as target man w/ HUB, focus passing down his flank, less RWB and crossing

limited FB - more direct passing, less RWB/TTB, less CF than regular FB

complete wingback - wingback with increased CF and more TTB/RWB/LS

enganche - trequartista w/ CD, possibly less wide play, basically falls somewhere between advanced playmaker and trequartista

regista - deep-lying playmaker w/o HUB and increased CF, possibly roaming

False no 9 - advanced playmaker or enganche at FC

Shadow striker - FCa in midfield

I'd been interested in these new roles, and there's a thread I set up in the T&TF about it (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/359194-FM14-New-Tactical-Elements)

Your interpretations make sense, but as you subsequently say, it all depends on whether SI interpret the Roles in the same way as you.

I'd been interested in these new roles, and there's a thread I set up in the T&TF about it (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/359194-FM14-New-Tactical-Elements)

Your interpretations make sense, but as you subsequently say, it all depends on whether SI interpret the Roles in the same way as you.

Yeah, in the end all this speculation is pretty futile at this point but being patient has never been my strong point.

Having said that, seeing there's a better thread for this topic I'll leave this thread alone for now. We shall continue on T&TF if need be.

This has probably been raised before, but i'll give it a shot anyway. Playing in FM13 with Basel i'm in my 19th season, and there is something that's a little bit frustrating.

It seem's that the amount of new young talents that my scouts are able to find, decreases a lot, the more seasons I play. Is this because i'm doing something wrong, perhaps I need to change my scouts more often, or is this a "problem" within the game, and if so, is it going to be fixed in FM14?

Really hope that the "B teams" system works like in real life with FM14.

In FM13, the rules were poorly implemented, so anyone who played in Portugal could not take advanged of having a B team.

The situation is very well explain in this thread, posts #52 and the response from SI in post #53

Could anyone from SI, could say something about this?

One request for FM14 - I think this has even been done before on old versions but it vastly improves the game experience.

Can we have various different goal nets for teams' grounds? There don't have to be that many - some very deep shaped, some standard, and some shallow. And perhaps a few different colours if possible in line with the home team (eg like Hull/Sunderland/Yeovil/Liverpool have). Perhaps some will have poles behind the goal, and others will stand alone.

I doubt this would take up much time/memory, but I think it would make a big change to how it will feel as to playing home or away etc.

I know there are add ons for this kind of thing (?) but for the casual users who aren't very IT savvy this would be a great thing to add and would be an obvious selling point for the the new game on screenshots.

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place - don't normally use the forum.

One request for FM14 - I think this has even been done before on old versions but it vastly improves the game experience.

Can we have various different goal nets for teams' grounds? There don't have to be that many - some very deep shaped, some standard, and some shallow. And perhaps a few different colours if possible in line with the home team (eg like Hull/Sunderland/Yeovil/Liverpool have). Perhaps some will have poles behind the goal, and others will stand alone.

I doubt this would take up much time/memory, but I think it would make a big change to how it will feel as to playing home or away etc.

I know there are add ons for this kind of thing (?) but for the casual users who aren't very IT savvy this would be a great thing to add and would be an obvious selling point for the the new game on screenshots.

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place - don't normally use the forum.

My guess is that at this stage, SI are unlikely to add new ideas. However, I also suspect that this is exactly the kind of thing they want us to use the Steam Workshop for. FM14 players will need to LEARN how to get and install add-ons made by the fans. It's already pretty simple and will presumably be much easier through Steam.

What is the Steam workshop? You are talking to a casual player who buys each edition here, not a fanatic. Frankly the casual fans would rather have the additional feature in the game they purchase, as opposed to having to go to the effort of installing code written by someone else.

My guess is that at this stage, SI are unlikely to add new ideas. However, I also suspect that this is exactly the kind of thing they want us to use the Steam Workshop for. FM14 players will need to LEARN how to get and install add-ons made by the fans. It's already pretty simple and will presumably be much easier through Steam.

If SI haven't added any variation to the goal nets in the game, then they're unlikely to have added the ability for us to customise it.

But from the add-ons I have seen, it will just change the colour of the nets at every match (to blue for example).

I think what would add to the experience would be different clubs having different nets, just to give even more individuality to the stadiums?

I am sure in FM11/FM12 teams like Wolves had very shallow nets, and some teams like Real Madrid had very deep nets.

I'm a lower league manager and I see where you're coming from.

For point 1 - yes, my clubs do seem to increases attendances by 60-80% each promotion, although after a couple of seasons they're still the lowest in the division, so it's still a challenge.

For point 2 - yes again, that is annoying that the same few teams get promoted/relegated every time. My fix is to go into the editor and equalise the reps of a bunch of clubs in the lower league. It's not ideal, but you can compensate for this with the editor.

1. It is always a challenge to manage small clubs and build an entire infrastructure as well as a winning squad. Max attendances seem to mostly increase when you win competitions - promotion through play-offs does not have the same effect winning a division has. If one manages to promote to top level through a series of division championships, attendances will go up quite a bit even before success at the very top.

In the default FM13 db quite a few lower division clubs do not have any kind of stadium expansion capacities (even though in FM12 they did), but in 13.3.0 they do. With the default db a club that would build a new stadium of about 20 000 seats (fully expanded) early-on, will, depending on how much they can increase the size of their original stadium, build a stadium that is perhaps twice as big when using 13.3.0. Of course I'm not against big stadiums when they are somewhat in line what would be realistic in real life, but when a club builds a stadium that is bigger than the population of their catchment area it gets a bit ridiculous (league requirements aside - remember Castel di Sangro in Serie B). Attendance increases do not seem to be connected to inhabitants range, even though the db includes such information.

2. You are right that small changes in the db will go long way in rectifying the promotion problem. Recently Serie D has seen many clubs that have, and should have, rather high reputations. For example Foggia and Taranto were both in the same Serie D group in 2012-13. Still that group was won by Ischia. Ischia does not have a miniscule reputation, but it is much much lower than either of the other clubs I mentioned. In FM13 Ischia will pretty much never be promoted - at least not before Foggia, Taranto and perhaps Brindisi have been promoted at first. And fingers crossed no high reputation club has been relegated. To make it possible for Ischia to go up, reputations should be changed quite a lot to direction or another. I would argue that in addition to possible db changes, the way the "dice is rolled" should be modified to achieve more variation to what clubs will appear in the lowest manageable levels.

This has probably been raised before, but i'll give it a shot anyway. Playing in FM13 with Basel i'm in my 19th season, and there is something that's a little bit frustrating.

It seem's that the amount of new young talents that my scouts are able to find, decreases a lot, the more seasons I play. Is this because i'm doing something wrong, perhaps I need to change my scouts more often, or is this a "problem" within the game, and if so, is it going to be fixed in FM14?

This is probably happening because your squad has been progressively getting better and better, so the youngsters whose potential would compare to your current players are fewer in number.

1 thing I have missed for years is the option when searching for players to show "interested foreign based players", I know I can show players that play in certain countries or regions but I miss the option to show all foreign based players that would be interested in joining my team.

I used this option a lot back on CM97/98, it was really good when in the lower leagues.

Not sure it is possible now as the game has moved on quite a bit with regards to scouting, still it is an option that I miss.

1 thing I have missed for years is the option when searching for players to show "interested foreign based players", I know I can show players that play in certain countries or regions but I miss the option to show all foreign based players that would be interested in joining my team.

I used this option a lot back on CM97/98, it was really good when in the lower leagues.

Not sure it is possible now as the game has moved on quite a bit with regards to scouting, still it is an option that I miss.

Based > Is not > your country

no?

Based > Is not > your country

no?

lol, thanks for that.

All the versions I have played and kept asking why they never had the option to show all the foreign based players, I never knew I could change the 'based' to 'not based'.

:)

Learn something new everyday. :)

For the last couple of years I've been hugely critical of Football Manager and SI Games and I'm not going to apoligise for that, but since the last 2 video blogs I'm actually starting to think that SI Games are starting to turn a corner and have clearly listened this time to what the fans of the game want.

I brought FM13 when they released the beta and was alarmed at the state of the game at that point, and only played it for about a day. When the "proper" release game came out I went back too it and after seeing how little it had improved once again promptly put it down and carried on with my long term FM12 game, now the main PC that this was/is on went bang last week and because the save game file is only on that computer (now I see the advantage of cloud storage:applause:) I decided to install FM13 on my secondary PC and take another look and was quite surprised with the progress of the ME, though the morale issue with players and contract negotiations is still a major irk. Fortunately I've been able to fix the main PC so will be returning to FM12.

But with the last two blogs I've actually started to get a little excited about FM14, the match day experience and new tactical overhaul look really promising and hopefully SI Games will announce a overhauled editor very soon. (hint,hint)

Will I be buying the the game with beta access ? No, but I will be paying close attention to what the people that do have to say and will download the demo to decide whether this years version is worthy of my well earned money.

So come on SI Games deliver us the game we yearn for and that will make us late for work/school or sleep. On what you've told us so far :applause::applause:

This year, I wont be buying the game.

I dont want to pay 49 euros (I know, the prize will fall down later on) for an update of FM 13. For me it will be enough to update the player db.

For example, when I buy a new antivirus licence (and get also a new version with new features) I pay only the update prize.

If SI would offer discount (update) prizes for users who can prove they have bought a legal copy of a previous version (e.g. up to the 3 latest) I would considering "updating".

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the whole FM project and like paying for games which I like, but I dont come from the most richest countries and 49 euros is too much for me. :/

I dont want to pay 49 euros (I know, the prize will fall down later on) for an update of FM 13. For me it will be enough to update the player db.

For example, when I buy a new antivirus licence (and get also a new version with new features) I pay only the update prize.

If SI would offer discount (update) prizes for users who can prove they have bought a legal copy of a previous version (e.g. up to the 3 latest) I would considering "updating".

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the whole FM project and like paying for games which I like, but I dont come from the most richest countries and 49 euros is too much for me. :/

You can get it cheaper than that. Look for the green man gaming thread and its a lot cheaper

I know what you mean, being based in Cambodia myself. I didn't buy FM13 for 6 months, but this time i will pre-order FM14. I was already inclined to do so, but the latest videoblog on Matchday has convinced me that there are enough important improvements to make it worthwhile investing in FM14. Also, FM13 had anew match engine and was problematic until the third patch; FM14 should avoid the gremlins and give a solid ME with enhancements. All in all, I'm expecting FM14 to be the best new edition for some years, in terms of smooth progression plus new/enhanced features.

My only reservation - possibly a major one, is what effect Steam Workshop will have on community-made add-ons. I've asked on a couple of threads but am still waiting for clarification.

thanks for the info. I checked some of my local online retailers and they offer the game for 32 euros.

Still, I dont want to pay such sum for an update.

Do you buy Fifa? or PES? Or any other game?

If you think about it... in this day all games are updates!

For the last couple of years I've been hugely critical of Football Manager and SI Games and I'm not going to apoligise for that, but since the last 2 video blogs I'm actually starting to think that SI Games are starting to turn a corner and have clearly listened this time to what the fans of the game want.

I brought FM13 when they released the beta and was alarmed at the state of the game at that point, and only played it for about a day. When the "proper" release game came out I went back too it and after seeing how little it had improved once again promptly put it down and carried on with my long term FM12 game, now the main PC that this was/is on went bang last week and because the save game file is only on that computer (now I see the advantage of cloud storage:applause:) I decided to install FM13 on my secondary PC and take another look and was quite surprised with the progress of the ME, though the morale issue with players and contract negotiations is still a major irk. Fortunately I've been able to fix the main PC so will be returning to FM12.

But with the last two blogs I've actually started to get a little excited about FM14, the match day experience and new tactical overhaul look really promising and hopefully SI Games will announce a overhauled editor very soon. (hint,hint)

Will I be buying the the game with beta access ? No, but I will be paying close attention to what the people that do have to say and will download the demo to decide whether this years version is worthy of my well earned money.

So come on SI Games deliver us the game we yearn for and that will make us late for work/school or sleep. On what you've told us so far :applause::applause:

as you state above...totally agree I am only playing FM13 now didnt get into it at all...much prefered Fm12, hoping your HINT HINT:thup: for the editor gets acted on....must confess though after seeing the previews...I am a weak man as I have allready pre purchased FM14:o

I haven't read through all the posts yet so sorry if it has been duplicated but the transfer system needs an overhaul. My main gripe with the game is the transfer/loan system, most other things I have no problem with.

1. I want to be able to transfer list players, and I don't mean the team I am playing as. This is 2014, as we know, deadline day and transfers in general are a huge part of football. So why in the editor are we not able to transfer list players? Suarez, Bale and Rooney to name but 3 would be very hard to purchase in the game but IRL all were up for grabs because they wanted to leave. Ozil is another one, however this time it was the club putting a star man up for sale. I would like to see in the editor an option to transfer list by player request or by the club.

2. When I loan players, I would like the option to only send them out to Premier league clubs. As a Spurs fan over recent years we have sent many players out on loan to Premier League teams. Eg Walker, Rose, Naughton, Caulker etc However mostly Championship or League 1 clubs show interest

3. Money talks in football. Rather than players flat out reject you because of your reputation, you should be able to at least offer them a deal. QPR for example attracted top players such as Cesar who they would never be able to get in the game. The so called "Mercenaries" are real in football, with many top players moving to the Monaco's, PSGs, Russian and Ukrainian teams for a big pay day.

4. Loaning players out in transfer deal. Firstly sending a purchased player back on loan for the season, this can be part of the deal to sweeten things. Secondly, when buying a player allowing one of your own players (usually reserves) to be loaned to the selling club.

This has become a wishlist thread of sorts. Might as well contribute to that. :D

One thing that has annoyed me is that when scouts report on players who are not interested to join my club, the reports do not have info the players' estimated cost or wage demands. Quite understandable if their wage demands are unknown as the players are not interested, but why are the cost estimations omitted? It should also be noted that often the players actually are interested even if the scouts report that they are not.

It would be a good idea if people stopped using this as a wishlist because it's pointless.

Miles is the man in control of releasing info about FM14 and only he will answer queries, as we've seen in the past he's not going to give the whole game away.

Like it or not it's marketing strategy :)

Can be add real audio commentary to the match ?

Veterans of the series will remember the Clive Tyldsley commentary! No I can't see it ever being brought back, too repetitive and no doubt expensive to pay a commentator to come in and record all the lines

Do you buy Fifa? or PES? Or any other game?

If you think about it... in this day all games are updates!

If someone jumps off a bridge, doesn't mean you have to do the same.

What I mean is this, the business plan for FIFA and PES work for them, doesn't mean it will work for FM.

For people at SI, that business practice seems to be working. I on the other hand prefer SI to focus on few features that change those features drastically and are major improvement, instead of incremental changes they do now. But that is me.

More realistic transfers and contracts

FM 2014 features a revamped transfer module where opposing clubs and managers adopt a more realistic approach when making or responding to transfer offers. In addition, a number of new ‘real world’ transfer clauses have been added, such as the facility to loan a player back to the club he’s just been bought from and the option to offer a combination of cash and loan players, as well as new contract clauses such as a sub bench appearance fee. On top of this, the old ‘turn-based’ system of transfer negotiations can now be done two ways, the tried and tested system and a new ‘live’ system, similar to that used in FM’s contract negotiations.

Want to give us any more details on this?

For me the biggest problem with the transfer market is the lack of transfers. AI teams are too unwilling to make marginal improvements and too happy to hang on to unwanted players.

I understand from a mods post on these forums that players were made less willing to drop down divisions and play for lower reputation teams because it made it too easy to over perform at the lower levels by making loan signings that were way better then the rest of the league. That's now lead to players sitting on benches until they're released by the club and then refusing all offers from the lower leagues. IMO The problem wasn't young players being willing to drop down divisions it was that none of the AI clubs in the divisions in-between made an offer even though those players clearly improved their team.

Also will the AI actual be able to use these new clauses? I can remember previous versions where you'd offer £500'000 cash be countered with £750'000 cash come back with £500'000 cash plus £250'000 clauses only for the AI to demand £750'000 cash plus £250'000 clauses.

What about players in form? will the AI bid for my 30 goal a season championship striker even if his attributes and CA suggest that his more of a first division striker.

It used to be that you could get a poor looking player putting in great performances regularly but only teams bellow you ion the league would be interested in buying him.

Archived