*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

• Administrators

WORLD'S GREATEST MANAGEMENT SIM RETURNS WITH MOST AUTHENTIC RELEASE TO DATE

More than 1,000 improvements and enhancements make Sports Interactive and SEGA®’s tenth Football Manager™ the most compelling and realistic to date

August 14th 2013

Sports Interactive and SEGA Europe Ltd. today unveil Football Manager 2014… the most feature-packed and technically advanced release in the series’ history. Benefitting from more than 1,000 improvements and enhancements over its most recent predecessor, FM 2014 is the most realistic simulation of football management ever released.

In addition to enhanced gameplay, FM 2014 also delivers a range of technical innovations, with the game available on Linux for the first time and the introduction of ‘cloud save’ technology, which means that managers can now pursue a single career from any computer, anywhere in the world.

The FM experience is also more customisable than ever before, as the integration of Steam Workshop tools make it easy for managers to create and share customised FM content and experiences such as photo/logo packs, new and custom competitions and even tailor-made in-game challenges using the new Challenge Editor which has been incorporated into the free-to-download Pre-game Editor.

“Our unchanging goal in the development of the Football Manager series is to deliver the most authentic and immersive simulation of real-world football management wherever you may be in the world,” says Sports Interactive’s Studio Director Miles Jacobson. “Players can now take charge of their team anywhere they can access a home computer, and with huge improvements to existing features plus the addition of loads of new stuff, can have the best Football Manager experience to date while doing so.”

Some significant FM 2014 highlights include:

• An improved 3D Match Engine
  • A tactical overhaul
  • More realistic transfers and contracts
  • More sophisticated board interaction
  • More complex interaction between staff, players and rival managers
  • A revamped news system
  • An enhanced user interface
  • Evolution for Classic mode
  • Additional community features
  • Extensive tech improvements

Football Manager 2014 will be released for Windows PC, Mac and Linux before Xmas 2013.

From today, fans who pre-order a copy of FM 2014 from a participating retailer (high street or digital download) will enjoy early access to a fully-playable Beta version of the game, available roughly two weeks prior to the official release date. Careers started in this Beta version will continue in the full game. A list of participating retailers can be found at www.footballmanager.com

Further details on the game’s 1,000-plus new and enhanced features will be revealed over the coming weeks via Facebook and Twitter, from both the Football Manager account (@FootballManager) and from Miles Jacobson directly (@milesSI).

There will also be weekly updates and video blogs detailing many of the key features at the game’s official website (www.footballmanager.com) while more detail on the headline features announced today follows below.

More detail on FM 2014’s major new features

• Improved Match Engine

The 3D Match Engine has seen extensive improvements, including enhanced AI, improved lighting and player animation, individual player character and kit models, more realistic player reaction to on-field incidents and a range of optimisations which combine to make this the best looking and fastest FM Match Engine yet.

• Tactical overhaul

There has been a complete redesign of how tactics are created, selected and implemented with player roles and team strategies becoming even more prominent, definable roles for players for multiple positions, new player roles and instructions and improvements to rival managers' AI so that they’ll adapt their tactics more readily over time.

• More realistic transfers and contracts

FM 2014 features a revamped transfer module where opposing clubs and managers adopt a more realistic approach when making or responding to transfer offers. In addition, a number of new ‘real world’ transfer clauses have been added, such as the facility to loan a player back to the club he’s just been bought from and the option to offer a combination of cash and loan players, as well as new contract clauses such as a sub bench appearance fee. On top of this, the old ‘turn-based’ system of transfer negotiations can now be done two ways, the tried and tested system and a new ‘live’ system, similar to that used in FM’s contract negotiations.

• More sophisticated board interaction

Contract negotiations are more realistic in FM 2014, as managers and boards can now make demands and lay down their respective visions for the club in both initial job interviews and contract renewal discussions. Managers can also attempt to renegotiate transfer and wage budgets as a reward for staying loyal if they’ve been offered a job by another club, with the outcome helping aid their decision on whether to move or not.

• Improved interaction with players, staff and media

There is now better interaction between players, managers, their rivals and the media; for example, members of the coaching staff now offer feedback on how reserve and youth team players are performing. Managers can also ask key players to have a word with unhappy squad members, while the introduction of an end-of-season meeting allows the manager to let the squad know how they have performed and set targets for the coming season.

• News system

The news system has been overhauled so managers can now deal with many club matters directly from their inbox. In addition, news is now colour-coded, based on category, and contains more detail – for example, scout reports now appear as a single news item with a top-line report on all players scouted and the facility to shortlist or make an offer for each of these players.

• Enhanced user interface

Major changes have been made to FM 2014’s user interface. Key areas have been redesigned – including the training overview page, the transfer centre and the news homepage – while widespread changes have been made across the game’s user interface. The language employed throughout the game has also enjoyed a major overhaul and now corresponds more closely to the language of real world football.

• Football Manager Classic evolved

Managers can now choose more than three playable nations in Classic mode for a more immersive experience. In addition, FM’s ‘fast play’ mode now includes Transfer Deadline Day, a Match Plan wizard and new unlockables.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Here’s how other announcements will happen over the coming months.

I’ll be teasing one feature a day, each week day, starting tomorrow on Twitter twitter.com/milessi with lots of info from twitter.com/footballmanager too – we’ll be playing feature roulette there every weekday from Monday 19th.

These will then be rounded up every Football Manager Friday at the FM website www.footballmanager.com, alongside videos going into more depth on teased features or showing match engine footage at youtube.com/sigames.com

There are far too many new & improved features to discuss all of them – so we’re leaving loads for you to find for yourselves too!

Rest assured that everything in the Football Manager Friday round up will be linked to from these forums.

On top of this, the old ‘turn-based’ system of transfer negotiations can now be done two ways, the tried and tested system and a new ‘live’ system, similar to that used in FM’s contract negotiations.

I like the sound of this :thup:

Hopefully it will bring an improvement on the negotiations over transfer fees, rather than the deal instantly falling apart because we were unaware that it would be a final offer.

Wonder where we can get FM14 the cheapest? Will most likely wait to get it for Christmas or just after the pre christmas patch. As the game will have been out for 6 weeks already and thus on some places, be available at a cheaper price.

Improved interaction all round. Brilliant. Always thought this had been one of the weakest parts of the game. Also like the inclusion of the "loan back to club" thing. Thought about asking for that, but wasn't sure if it was doable. Exciting.

I hate how every year I think 'right I'm going to wait until the final patch is out and tested, whilst continuing my current Fm career' and then as soon as you do a new release I find myself with credit card in hand and a pre-order confirmation on screen before I know what happened :(! Sounds great. Massively excited. I hate you.

Here’s how other announcements will happen over the coming months.

I’ll be teasing one feature a day, each week day, starting tomorrow on Twitter twitter.com/milessi with lots of info from twitter.com/footballmanager too – we’ll be playing feature roulette there every weekday from Monday 19th.

These will then be rounded up every Football Manager Friday at the FM website www.footballmanager.com, alongside videos going into more depth on teased features or showing match engine footage at youtube.com/sigames.com

There are far too many new & improved features to discuss all of them – so we’re leaving loads for you to find for yourselves too!

Rest assured that everything in the Football Manager Friday round up will be linked to from these forums.

What day will the round up be on?

• Administrators
Will it change from being 32bit to 64bit as I need to know whether its worth upgrading my RAM from 4gb to 8gb

There already is a difference (even in FM13) how the game runs in 32 or 64 bit. You can run more leagues quicker with a 64 bit machine.

All I want is for the tactics not to be so complex for the game to be fun. Can't believe there's a 15 PAGE thread about understanding your tactic :D I just want to set a formation, a couple of team instructions and be set. Not doing all the other razzmatazz just to win a game.

All I want is for the tactics not to be so complex for the game to be fun. Can't believe there's a 15 PAGE thread about understanding your tactic :D I just want to set a formation, a couple of team instructions and be set. Not doing all the other razzmatazz just to win a game.

This is a football management sim. You probably want FIFA...

Fm Classic mode

There already is a difference (even in FM13) how the game runs in 32 or 64 bit. You can run more leagues quicker with a 64 bit machine.

I was told on here (not by someone from SI) that the game was 32bit and it wasn't worth me upgrading to 8gb of RAM!

With the game as ridiculously complex as it is, I fully understand there's no major scope for new features without making it overbloated, but I can't help but not be any excited with those screenies yet. A couple good UI additions and that's it really. Being able to assign roles to players automatically is nice, as long as it doesn't feel complicated. Loan back clause is nice but didn't need 4 screenies! Training's pie graphs look alright but I'm not sure that screen is very user-friendly, looks like they cut off the area for planning the weeks ahead in training? Color-coded news and little specific content bits in news like extra buttons and player attributes is nice. "Advanced Playmaker/Defend" sounds like a weird role.

I wish the big meat of the improvements aren't easily noticeable in screenies though, so I won't complain yet - I'm talking about subtle stuff like AI squad building and match engine behaviour tactically.

Awesome. Have to say FM13 runs smooth as butter with more leagues than ever even on my modest 64-bit PC. There's hope for FM14 not to slow down things significantly despite all the new and improved features.

Like the sounds of the tactical changes, DM pulling back and CDs pulling wide maybe?

Also cloud saves(yay for the summer when i can sit outside on the laptop instead of the desktop!).

But the biggest improvement i want is......make sure the mouse thumb forward/back buttons always register properly.

For years FM is the only game that a lot of the time doesnt seem to register the forward/back thumb buttons on mice. And its not a mouse issue as they work perfectly in every other game.

Hmm, well. Gut reaction:

THE GOOD:

Improved ME - Was always going to be the case, but now that the FM13 engine has been stabilised somewhat, there shouldn't be a repeat of the debacle at FM13's launch. It was an overdue, necessary overhaul, but I get the impression we're beyond the worst part of the new engine, so now the ME can really go on to become an asset of FM14 from day one.

Tactical Overhaul - I'm no tactical technician, but more options and ability to customise things are always going to be a positive.

Transfers/Contracts - More clauses are especially good, I just hope the list doesn't end with the three mentioned. The new "live" system of transfers seems an odd choice, as I haven't seen a great deal of complaint about the current transfer system, but I can see the advantages of it. A small change (harking back to much earlier CM games, if I remember rightly?), but one that could prove quite useful.

Board Interaction - All sounds very promising indeed.

FMC evolved - An obvious one, but excellent news that the three playable nations problem has been addressed, as I suspected it would. The statement is ambiguous as to whether there's now a higher nation limit or no limit, but it's good to see FMC hasn't just been put out there one year and then abandoned in terms of development.

THE BAD:

Improved interaction - Really, really needed to be a central plank of development this time around, but the examples of development given don't inspire confidence that there's a move beyond the standard repetitive linear conversations/repetitive media questions with the same options and tones etc. The end of season meeting sounds little more than a mirror of the start of season one.

THE MEH:

Cloud Save technology - One of those things that I'm sure will be welcomed by those who have a use for it (as FMC is), but that I can't get excited about personally. Like the Steam Scoreboards, network play etc., not something that I can ever imagine being important to me.

Linux - Ditto.

THE "WE'LL SEE":

Customisation through the Steam Workshop - Could go either way, depending on whether Steam Workshop becomes the ONLY way to customise things. Will either open up customisation to a lot more people and make it all a lot more accessible, or be restrictive and cause a backlash from those who are currently doing more than the Workshop will allow (e.g. skins, which are not mentioned). The lack of word on any Editor development is a bit disappointing.

News system - One of those that you'd need to see in action before you can really say too much about it.

Enhanced UI - The "corresponds more closely to the language of real football" comment is intriguing. The infuriating UI was probably the biggest reason I didn't buy FM13, so while it's good to hear it's been developed, again, it's a wait-and-see situation until we can get hands-on with it.

So, overall? For my money, it mostly sounds very, very promising. Slightly disappointed there's no suggestion of development of the Director of Football role, although that could obviously come down the line, and the interaction additions seem underwhelming, but overall, it does look like this is a very positive step.

if the transfer and contract system is improved so that it makes it more likely players will move clubs, that will be brilliant.

I've gone 4 years in with just Europa League football at Liverpool and Suarez is quite happy as long as i pay him 115k a week.

It was the same with Torres before him. quite happy to stay.

if players are more mercenary and more interested in their own careers, i'll be happy.

Very interested to see what the "tactical overhaul" amounts to.

It's hard to glean much from the screenshots, but it appears to include a further step away from sliders (which I welcome) as it looks like you can set Team-type Instructions to Individuals using a menu interface, rather than tweaking sliders.

Definable and new player roles also sound very welcome, and I'm sure a more adaptable AI will irritate the hell out of me when it surfaces!

• Administrators
if the transfer and contract system is improved so that it makes it more likely players will move clubs, that will be brilliant.

I've gone 4 years in with just Europa League football at Liverpool and Suarez is quite happy as long as i pay him 115k a week.

It was the same with Torres before him. quite happy to stay.

if players are more mercenary and more interested in their own careers, i'll be happy.

Yeah, was something we're aware of - teams just weren't coming in for players enough and putting that pressure of a move onto say a smaller club. That was more of a bug than say an outright feature but yeah, definitely hoping this will be improved and more realistic.

Very interested to see what the "tactical overhaul" amounts to.

It's hard to glean much from the screenshots, but it appears to include a further step away from sliders (which I welcome) as it looks like you can set Team-type Instructions to Individuals using a menu interface, rather than tweaking sliders.

Definable and new player roles also sound very welcome, and I'm sure a more adaptable AI will irritate the hell out of me when it surfaces!

It's one of those things you can only really test hands on. Guess we will have to wait for the demo/beta (won't decide this early if i pre order, unless amazon are doing it again)

Yeah, was something we're aware of - teams just weren't coming in for players enough and putting that pressure of a move onto say a smaller club. That was more of a bug than say an outright feature but yeah, definitely hoping this will be improved and more realistic.

That's really good to know, being able to keep my squad together far too easily was the only real issue I had with FM13. Really looking forward to FM14.

I'm hoping my players will do things like announce they leaving on a bosman, turn down contract offers and just become unhappy a lot more easily. In 31 seasons on FM13 i've barely seen any of my players do these things.

Hmm, well. Gut reaction:

Cloud Save technology - One of those things that I'm sure will be welcomed by those who have a use for it (as FMC is), but that I can't get excited about personally. Like the Steam Scoreboards, network play etc., not something that I can ever imagine being important to me.

Cloud save is extremely useful when you wanna pla- *ahem*... I mean test your computer at work. :D

i hope your not suggesting that Liverpool are a 'smaller' club! ;)

Board interaction - does this mean that when I'm offered another job and get a news item saying my chairman will be desperate to keep me, that my chairman will actually make some kind of counter-offer (or any kind of communication at all)?

At the moment I get nothing.

From the screenshots I've seen on the website the changes to tactics look promising. I like the idea of being able to assign a player a specific role when playing in a specific position. I also like the revision of the home screen to look more like an infographic.

Most of all I am happy that it appears to be a development year. I can't see anything that is likely to break FM14, just positive changes to improve FM13. Not the most glamourous annoucement, but a steady one.

Archived