Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oh, that's clever. So you used it to make a new config file to go in a different folder to another facepack? I should do that in my next save.

No, I just changed it inside my own rename file. No need for any new file.

2 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

should just make sure there's no 200 inside that numeric sequence. Might be worth adding either regex to say only at the start of a string or search for "CHANGE_PLAYER_NAME" [however many spaces that is] 200 and then do "CHANGE_PLAYER_NAME" [however many spaces that is] r-200

just to be safe...

Of course it can be improved, but I'm really not good at regular expressions, so I try to stay clear whenever I can! Besides, my file has only slightly over 100 lines, so it's easy to manually verify, and it would have taken me longer (as well as tick on my sanity) to make the regex. And yes, if I had a longer file, I would do it differently. Just a suggestion to avoid having to paste in "r-" in front of a million rows one by one! :D 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick notice from the update - the best thing about this year game before the update was the ME and particulary the build up play. Now, the beautifull build up play is gone. The game feels much more like a pinball with much faster passes and play. The players just rush the ball forward insted making build up play like before. I will play more but I realy do not like the updated ME.

22 minutes ago, XaW said:

No, I just changed it inside my own rename file. No need for any new file.

Of course it can be improved, but I'm really not good at regular expressions, so I try to stay clear whenever I can! Besides, my file has only slightly over 100 lines, so it's easy to manually verify, and it would have taken me longer (as well as tick on my sanity) to make the regex. And yes, if I had a longer file, I would do it differently. Just a suggestion to avoid having to paste in "r-" in front of a million rows one by one! :D 

Anyone who says they're good at regex is either lying or doesn't know they're lying :lol:. Just fear someone looking for a solution will do that over a few 100k lines and further break the game without understanding what happened.

• Reduce the number of managers with 'Wing Play' tactical style

Game created 30 mins ago, all leagues loaded. 

7708 Managers Employed by Club or Nation

328    Control Possession
46      Gegenpress
77      Tiki-Taka
84      Vertical Tiki-Taka
1247  Wing Play
187    Route One
80      Fluid Counter-Attack
105    Direct Counter-Attack
5         Catenaccio
17       Park the Bus
5532  NO STYLE

Maybe you should fix those Without a style

Edited by Elder

Just now, wazzaflow10 said:

Anyone who says they're good at regex is either lying or doesn't know they're lying :lol:. Just fear someone looking for a solution will do that over a few 100k lines and further break the game without understanding what happened.

Haha, true! And yes, good call on mentioning it, as I would always advise anyone to backup their files before doing a "replace all"!

Also... since patch 24.1.0, AMC is once again useless in creating chances.
I've done countless tests. 
It can still be good as an attacker coming from deep (SS, Am-At) but I've observed he doesn't move much from the central position and that means he rarely makes decisive passes (since most of them come from wide areas), so he doesn't create chances, and if you want to use him as a pure creative player, he'll contribute very poorly to build up and get low ratings .

Look, no offense, but...
Is there a way to go back to the Beta ME?
Despite GK injuries and weird results, it was much more fun. 

Why do no players show up when I navigate to one of my scouts profile -> scout reports and filter by their current assignment? In the recruitment focus I can see he has scouted some, but that overview doesn't show all scouted players. So there is really no way to see all the scouted players in an assignment, including once that were not recommended?

I think there are too many playing time options with too little distinction between them for how sensitive players are.  I have a striker who won't move from Porto to defending champions Arsenal -- won't enter negotiations at all, despite being "incredibly interested" -- unless he gets a Star Player status.  Important Player won't do it, no matter what additional promises are added.  What's the difference between "Expects to be a star player and play as many matches as possible" and "Expects to be considered among the most noteworthy players at the club and play as many matches as possible"?  Is there anything there the manager has control over beyond playing them in as many matches as possible?  Fringe Player and Emergency Backup are similarly distinction-without-a-difference.  

This has knock-on effects for player happiness.  Good players want to have higher agreed playing time, so far so good.  Players go ballistic when their playing time is reduced.  So you end up in situations where the best teams have sixteen players with Regular Starter playing time or higher, because players of the CA they want simply won't sign for less playing time than that.  And a player with one start, two sub appearances (one in the fifth minute as an injury replacement, so played the full 90 essentially) and one unused-sub appearance is kicking off about playing time because he's agreed to Squad Player but is getting Impact Sub.  Again, what's the difference?  One game as an unused sub?  It's still 205 minutes of playing time in the first four matches of the season.  That's the same, essentially, as playing 70 minutes as a starter in three of the first four.  Another player is unhappy -- he's listed as having Impact Sub Actual Playing Time, but he's made two starts and come on twice more in five matches.   Starting 40% of all matches ought to be pretty firmly in Squad Player territory, no?  

I think you could pretty easily cut everything down to Regular Starter / Squad Player / Backup / Prospect and lose nothing of value.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

16 minutes ago, Muja said:

Also... since patch 24.1.0, AMC is once again useless in creating chances.
I've done countless tests. 
It can still be good as an attacker coming from deep (SS, Am-At) but I've observed he doesn't move much from the central position and that means he rarely makes decisive passes (since most of them come from wide areas), so he doesn't create chances, and if you want to use him as a pure creative player, he'll contribute very poorly to build up and get low ratings .

Look, no offense, but...
Is there a way to go back to the Beta ME?
Despite GK injuries and weird results, it was much more fun. 

The beta ME is the same as 24.1.0 so i don't know what is this "beta ME" when it was before 1 day the ME

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I don't either, in fact I just use the vanilla newgen faces, but I use the ID to rename my players rather than use the ingame nick names, as I want their last name to change only, and the only way is .lnc files.

And for me, using notepad++ I used "search and replace" 200 to r-200 and it took me a whole minute.

Did the same as you with NewGAN, but replacing "person/" with "person/r-", and everything is in place. It's a quick edit, not a big deal, until NewGAN manager updates.

I would ask this question to the mods, i mean for example are there changes in ME which are not in changelog ? i mean some movements or defending behaviour stuff like that or everything released is at is it in changelog i am curious about this.

Edited by avenger22

7 minuti fa, avenger22 ha scritto:

The beta ME is the same as 24.1.0 so i don't know what is this "beta ME" when it was before 1 day the ME

Nope, the first ME was 24.0.1.
I mean, the 24.1.0 patch had no changelog, so I don't know exactly *what* changed, but my tactics started to behave differently, so I'm sure there was SOME change to the ME.
Which undoubtedly undermined the AMC movement. Maybe indirectly, but it's much more static now.

Edited by Muja

7 minutes ago, Nido said:

Did the same as you with NewGAN, but replacing "person/" with "person/r-", and everything is in place. It's a quick edit, not a big deal, until NewGAN manager updates.

Where would one find the config for the newgan faces, mines were working fine before this update

• SI Staff
9 minutes ago, avenger22 said:

I would ask this question to the mods, i mean for example are there changes in ME which are not in changelog ? i mean some movements or defending behaviour stuff like that or everything released is at is it in changelog i am curious about this.

The changelog tends to just be a summary of the key changes, but there's nothing major left out of the list.

There's often fixes for knock ons to other fixes that hadn't been public yet etc. That we don't list or just combine into a single line.

We didn't make any changes to attacking movement, most of the changes were to do with set pieces tbh.

5 minutes ago, Muja said:

Nope, the first ME was 24.0.1

The only change between beta and the next ME was reducing injuries to GKs. 

3 minutes ago, Hoarau said:

Where would one find the config for the newgan faces, mines were working fine before this update

It will be in the folder where your Newgen face pack is.

1 minuto fa, Domoboy23 ha scritto:

The only change was GK injury rate. This was confirmed.

I only noticed the existence of that patch because my tactics suddenly started behaving differently.
Maybe just a coincidence?
But I'm sure the AMC used to make more off-the-ball movements. I couldn't have dreamed that! 
:larry:

5 minutes ago, Hoarau said:

Wherever you placed the folders with all your pics. If you don't remember, open NewGAN manager and the app will tell it for you. Mine is inside "graphics/faces/FMNewGAN" for reference

1 minute ago, Muja said:

I only noticed the existence of that patch because my tactics suddenly started behaving differently.
Maybe just a coincidence?
But I'm sure the AMC used to make more off-the-ball movements. I couldn't have dreamed that! 
:larry:

Placebo, i mean i also thought there was attacking movement change cause i was seeing IWB(A) to make runs more and sometimes to attack the box and not to stay in the edge of area but i didn't analyze it well which now is confimed.

Just now, Steve1977beyond said:

do we reckon any future patches are going to have features within them that are not save game compatible? I'm going to start a new game due to the current patch requiring a restart

Yes, there will be a winter update that include the transfers from January/February. Other than that, it is unlikely unless if there's a major bug that need fixing before then. 

In questo momento, avenger22 ha scritto:

Placebo, i mean i also thought there was attacking movement change cause i was seeing IWB(A) to make runs more and sometimes to attack the box and not to stay in the edge of area but i didn't analyze it well which now is confimed.

But how could it be Placebo if I DIDN'T KNOW there was a new patch?
My tactics started to behave differently, so I thought to check if there was a new patch and, lo and behold, there was, and I had already installed it without realizing it. 

That said, now I'm sure it must have been a coincidence.

That means the AMC's issue has been there from day one... I think I'm gonna open a thread to discuss that.

5 minutes ago, Muja said:

But how could it be Placebo if I DIDN'T KNOW there was a new patch?
My tactics started to behave differently, so I thought to check if there was a new patch and, lo and behold, there was, and I had already installed it without realizing it. 

That said, now I'm sure it must have been a coincidence.

That means the AMC's issue has been there from day one... I think I'm gonna open a thread to discuss that.

Well AMC in attack have been always better they attack the box and score, tbf in irl i can't think a good AMC in support which sprays passes since Ozil years ago, all today attack the box or attack the half space, but i haven't really analyzed it i always used AM(A) when played with 4-2-3-1 but i 99% of time play without AM

17 minutes ago, SazoJohnno said:

Can we just keep this focused on the feedback regarding the game, instead of discussing the issues regarding the third party programs not working properly? 

Agreed. Find another thread to discuss issues with third party apps, please. Preferably where you got it from.

This why having to make  5 subs in 3 sub windows is a stupid idea. First half I had 3 injuries so I either used all 5 subs or left it at 3. I didn’t want to make 5 so left it at 3 which meant in 2nd half when a few players were knackered I couldn’t sub them. Really someone decides that idea is dumb and change it so you can make 5 subs whenever you want in the match. 

Man people really have such a confirmation bias problem when it comes to the match engine. People play literally a couple of games after an update, and think they've completely figured it out - and of course the conclusion is that everything is broken. People are really playing attacking, high risk tactics and then are surprised when they have high scoring games sometimes. The 2.84 goals per game is perfectly reasonable

5 minuti fa, Wizard boy ha scritto:

This why having to make  5 subs in 3 sub windows is a stupid idea. First half I had 3 injuries so I either used all 5 subs or left it at 3. I didn’t want to make 5 so left it at 3 which meant in 2nd half when a few players were knackered I couldn’t sub them. Really someone decides that idea is dumb and change it so you can make 5 subs whenever you want in the match. 

The rule was devised this way to prevent teams leading in the score from using 5 stops to waste time. The windows remain a maximum of 3 as they were before this new rule, except that now 2 additional substitutions are allowed.

15 minuti fa, avenger22 ha scritto:

Well AMC in attack have been always better they attack the box and score, tbf in irl i can't think a good AMC in support which sprays passes since Ozil years ago, all today attack the box or attack the half space, but i haven't really analyzed it i always used AM(A) when played with 4-2-3-1 but i 99% of time play without AM

Yeah that's true, but still, shouldn't it be possible? Why do we have the option to use an Enganche if it just doesn't work?
Besides, it irks me to no end when my team makes an incredible win and everyone has a rating above 7... except for my single AMC, who's always struggling, the poor guy :lol: 

I didn't check all the pages, could someone tell me if there are any severe bugs after the new update besides the manager and newgen faces not showing?

Also, are teams talks working fine now? As it was a known issue before that they had no effect 

Am I doing something wrong with my set piece defending (it's never been something I'm particularly good at) or is this a bug? Four defenders assigned to two attackers on the (camera's) left, only one defender on the right left to deal with two attackers. Inevitably the unmarked attacker scores a free header. 

My Wide Free Kick defending setup:

The defender at the far post (Jóhannsson) was set to A3 so I'm not sure what exactly happened here.
image.png.3f07ffe84bb246077941f374ef1e9bbb.png

image.png.f8be70ba353c1c64f5f2e661cc8d6ad2.png

2 minutes ago, Muja said:

Yeah that's true, but still, shouldn't it be possible? Why do we have the option to use an Enganche if it just doesn't work?
Besides, it irks me to no end when my team makes an incredible win and everyone has a rating above 7... except for my single AMC, who's always struggling, the poor guy :lol: 

I still prefer a classic number 10 myself 😊

From beautiful ME to pinball one, with playars just rushing forward with no biuld up play. 

Well done SI, you ruined the game. But, for some players who just want stats and just simulate the games, this is dream come true. But, for the rest of us, who are watching the games, this is 2 steps back.

Was so happy when I saw the update was released today, too bad my enthusiasm ended immediately as I found the manager picture not working now... Lack of comments from SI on this also worries me a bit.

Utterly broken the the set pieces, I have now lost my last 4 league games all from set piece goals.

There sholud be an option if you want to download the patch, or at least schedule it. This is going to wreck my season.

A bit of positive feedback - I absolutely LOVE that defensive underdog tactics work in FM24. Of course, you still get out-shot heavily, but it does not necessarily mean that you will lose 0-6. Soaking up pressure and playing for set pieces works which is a great adjustment. Last year, if you tried to play route one against a way better side, you'd eat 3 goals in the first 30 minutes. 

Edited by makavali