Question for FM Gamers who are (ahem) past middle age

When you set up a profile for yourself in FM, do you use your actual date of birth or do you shave a few decades off it in the name of realism? Having just turned 70, I shave three decades off of mine. Otherwise, I'd expect the game's reaction to be "where did this geezer come from?!"

I keep the day and month, but usually change the year so I'm starting in my mid 30s. I'm near 50 IRL, and like you, have issues starting a career late in the day. For the sake of realism, I like to start managing at an age that's more inline with finishing a playing career.  

I remember when I first started playing the game, I had to make myself older!

I currently use my actual age, but I'll probably start using a later year before too long.  Both the current and most recent manager of my club have been younger than me, the first time that's ever happened.

I'm 48 and I use my real birthdate but this thread made me smile as I remember early on when playing old CM games in the 90's and thinking about making me older as I was too young back then to realistically coach a team in the top divisions :D

Can't decide whether this thread is heartwarming or depressing...

I'm 41, so currently use my actual birthdate. But i remember when I first started playing CM (I guess I would have been about 13 ish at the time) and the game would force me to be older. 

I swear that was only 5mins ago. :(

23 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

Can't decide whether this thread is heartwarming or depressing...

I'm 41, so currently use my actual birthdate. :(

Clint Eastwood said, “80 is the new 20”, so don’t be depressed. 

20 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

When you set up a profile for yourself in FM, do you use your actual date of birth or do you shave a few decades off it in the name of realism? Having just turned 70, I shave three decades off of mine. Otherwise, I'd expect the game's reaction to be "where did this geezer come from?!"

I am using the actual date of birth. My save is finishing when I am 65/67 y/o. The problem is that every year, save does not last longer :lol:

On 17/07/2023 at 13:25, Brother Ben said:

Apologies to the OP but I hate being referred to as a "gamer".  I don't play any other games.  I'm a Football Manager enthusiast.  And a grumpy old bugger :kriss::D

I accept your apology, but it wasn't personal.

After a moment or two to remember my actual age (37) I can add to this - I use my real age. I'm in the comfort zone. But for the past few FMs I have adopted Wayne Bridge (the footballer yes) as my in-game manager, with backstory and whatnot...

Edited by numbas2

I just use my actual age. I don't care.

It was a big moment in my life when I became genuinely old enough to be a football manager and didn't have to add years to it anymore to make it seem realistic. No way I'm doing that the other way round to save face.

Highest I was able to manage in FM17, a 32 years save. Otherwise, I am never able to past 20-25 years mark for any save game. I lose patience and start a new save anyway. Since I am 43 now, and my plan is to retire around 80, I still can play 36/37 years save based on my rel DoB, which is more than I have ever achieved. I also play FM17, there I start career as 37 years old, I can still play 43 years of career. So, I won't mind putting my real DoB anyway. Maybe once I outlive 80 years age and still want to continue the save, I will re-think my DoB entry, but that's still a few years away.

Real age for me. The immersion is generally starting to get fragile by season 5 if I'm honest. so I rarely last much longer than that. By that point the most realistic thing about the game sometimes is my age....... :D That said, I'm quietly confident after the recent press release that some of my personal immersion breakers will be addressed. I'd be delighted to have to knock 25 years off my real age at the start of a new save.  

Does age actually matter? My recall is that whatever your age used you carry on until you retire e.g. the game does NOT force you to retire. A difference maybe that if you select a younger age its possible you get a son (or daughter) created in game

I remember playing Champ Man 93 and being aged to 35 (I think) by default to manage. Being someone who finds playing the game realistically naturally I doubt my 50 something, no qualifications and local league playing experience is likely to land me a job ant time soon so I generally dial back the clock to 40 years of age.