Winter Patch Speculation Thread

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem IMHO is that it doesn't matter how good is the team and how well organized they are at SI, however it is almost impossible to make a polished game with real innovative new functionalities in one year.

It would make much more sense to have an iteration every 4-5 years with in between DB updates, competition rules updates and bug fix.

1) it would make the game playable at full potential in September when we are all excited by the start of new football season IRL and when in Europe, North America a Far East (the locations with more costumers) is starting the autumn, so are starting the months when people are more keen to stay home and playing games;

2) aficionados would still buy the update every year and paying almost full price, because it's important to have updated db and  competitions, new potential customers could be attracted by offers game+update, as it happens with DLCs for other videogames 

3) in 4-5 years the developers would have the time to implement properly great features and to improve enormously ME and AI, it would make the game better

1 dakika önce, Delvi said:

The problem IMHO is that it doesn't matter how good is the team and how well organized they are at SI, however it is almost impossible to make a polished game with real innovative new functionalities in one year.

It would make much more sense to have an iteration every 4-5 years with in between DB updates, competition rules updates and bug fix.

1) it would make the game playable at full potential in September when we are all excited by the start of new football season IRL and when in Europe, North America a Far East (the locations with more costumers) is starting the autumn, so are starting the months when people are more keen to stay home and playing games;

2) aficionados would still buy the update every year and paying almost full price, because it's important to have updated db and  competitions, new potential customers could be attracted by offers game+update, as it happens with DLCs for other videogames 

3) in 4-5 years the developers would have the time to implement properly great features and to improve enormously ME and AI, it would make the game better

Nobody would pay for a db and competitions update when you can simply download one for free.

15 minuti fa, Fëanáro Míriel ha scritto:

Nobody would pay for a db and competitions update when you can simply download one for free.

I wonder how can you edit all data and competitions and having the game starting for instance in 2023 instead of year before...

23 minutes ago, Delvi said:

Maybe they are working on new set pieces in the background, or something else, something more complex things. We dont know how the procceses are at sigames, i am sure they are not working only one next version every year, i bet there are so much more things happening in the background.

22 minutes ago, Delvi said:

I agree but no one is going to buy an updated database for full price when fan sites have been doing it for free for years and SI can’t go without any revenue for even a year.

We are stuck to a yearly cycle but that doesn’t mean that we need to buy the game every year. It’s like smartphones at the moment where there are no big changes from year to year and there is no point upgrading every year

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

I agree but no one is going to buy an updated database for full price when fan sites have been doing it for free for years and SI can’t go without any revenue for even a year.

We are stuck to a yearly cycle but that doesn’t mean that we need to buy the game every year. It’s like smartphones at the moment where there are no big changes from year to year and there is no point upgrading every year

But...surely...surely you're not expecting people to have some kind of personal accountability and make a personal choice not to buy the game?!  Well I never.  Next time Miles frogmarches me to my laptop and glares at me until I enter payment details, I'll remind him that this is an option and jolly well go in a huff with him about the whole thing.  But I'll still buy of course, because how else would I get to complain bitterly each year about how this whole situation is just the same as the previous year?

5 minutes ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

On my current save i have Arkadiusz Milik up front and just now i popped into Sainsburys and saw that the date of March 9th was on some Milk that i bought, which is a sign - so going by this it must mean the patch will be out next Thursday...

That is the most plausible thing said in this entire thread

53 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I 100% would. The amount of time I would get out of the game makes it more than worth it. Also, I have no idea how to download these database updates but do they even include updated player attributes? Not being the legit thing doesn’t sit right with me.

Updated version of database and competition for a future year is not something you can find on a forum.

Lets  make an example: playing season 2022/23 with FM22 instead of FM23:

- the game would anyway start no layer than January 2022 (autumn 2021 if you pick up an European team)

- competions and rules would not be updated, maximum you could do is to play competitions of year before with teams which are in that competition the current year

- editors could update attributes of all players (almost impossible to do) but then you will have problems with player histories and transfers, they can't be updated anyhow because you can't enter data in the future (respect to the start of the season)

2 hours ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

We still don't know, i play a lot of games with active communities never have i saw people speculating and debating WHEN will a patch come. Usually the talk is about wheter or not certain things will be fixed or if new stuff will be added. In this game everything about patches are a mystery.

Huh? Any game with a reasonable size community does exactly that when there infrequent/predictable patches are overdue.

Two examples off the top of my head with communities that do it for games I play are Dota 2 and Hearthstone and I barely play many games in terms of volume.

Edited by Andigaming

They did say they were going to take steps in light of the earthquakes in Turkey by removing people who perished and also by changing the Turkish leagues so that teams that elect not to play the rest of the season don't get relegated.  The former shouldn't be too hard to do but I imagine changing the leagues in FM in that manner may take some trial and error on SI's part.  They do have some history with that though when the 2020 seasons were stopped due to Covid so I assume they have some idea how to do it.  But I suspect this is the reason for the delay.

4 hours ago, Dreambuilder said:

Next year I'm not doing this waiting for starting a new save again hehe :) :seagull:

My plan for FM24 and the years to come after:

1) Beta: learn the new features thoroughly while bugs are cleared. If needed, continue main save from previous version.

2) FM24 full game: Start new main save.

3) If I want any other save, start it anyway with latest official version even if theres a week until patch because waiting is less fun.

4) Repeat.

Same, 

But with the sidenote that I could not start with my favorite team cause in the Beta i noticed  a mistake (U19 competition in BG: no longer a nationwide competition)

Mentioned it, but did not make it into the real game, so have to wait till Feb. before I can play with the team i wanted to play when getting the Beta.

I do hope that in 24 the competition structure is correct, so i do can play with one of my favorite FM teams

Anyway, filling the time with another save, like that waiting goes faster

38 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Neil is on holiday

True, and what he would say if he was here and wanted to say anything is "it will be out when its ready" . It's all he can say because they aren't going to rush to release something that isn't finished

2 minutes ago, NeilUK said:

True, and what he would say if he was here and wanted to say anything is "it will be out when its ready" . It's all he can say because they aren't going to rush to release something that isn't finished

Some might say they do that every November. Not me, of course.

12 minutes ago, NeilUK said:

Actually, he would probably post a teasing GIF. As he does on the beta speculation thread. He enjoys teasing, the little scamp.