QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

7 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Just get rid of Southgate please and employ someone who knows how to attack

Did we not attack? Looked to me like we were one of the best attacking teams at the WC. Top scorers?

Okay, 6 were against Iran, but we looked so different to the NL England

I've always been for Southgate, just not sure who's better. Howe maybe.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

The next generation of French kids will look at Giroud as their idol, top scorer of all time.

Instead of looking at Thierry Henry.

What a sad state of affairs. I refuse to believe that.

Well, Giroud is a textbook example of someone who has made the most of his talent. Never been the star player but he's always there when he is needed.

When Kane stepped up i did think maybe he should have let someone else take it. Obviously that was never going to happen, but the mental gymnastics he would have been going through - "do i do the same thing, do i go opposite where he went?" etc - would have put too much pressure on him. 

I love Southgate and by and large I think he's done a decent job this tournament but I think a new approach under a different manager could be a good thing. Saying that I would also be happy for him to continue for Euro 24.

I also don't really see any managers out there that are both A) and improvement on Southgate and B) realistic. Dyche maybe?

Edited by AM99

Gutted, but we're a proper top team at international level now, pushed the favourites all the way and looked the better team for a while at 1-1. No more of this plucky England tag needed.

Southgate's tactics at key moments with subs, etc is always a bit questionable but I think the lineup and setup was right, Mbappe was mostly quiet and it was just moments that did us in. Bringing off Saka and not replacing with Grealish maybe a bad move, but ultimately Sir Gareth leaves who comes in who can do everything just as well, including the man management which is absolutely key in international football. Poch maybe, but I doubt he's interested tbh.

1 minute ago, JD nawrat said:

When Kane stepped up i did think maybe he should have let someone else take it. Obviously that was never going to happen, but the mental gymnastics he would have been going through - "do i do the same thing, do i go opposite where he went?" etc - would have put too much pressure on him. 

I thought that before he took it, but then if the other player missed everyone would be raging that Kane didn't take it.

Southgate doesn’t need to leave to be honest. 

We were well in that game and the better side imo. We did take the game to them (as much as you realistically can against the world champions) and didn’t play a back 5 and retreat. Tactically we mastered Mbappé. I couldn’t really have asked for more from Southgate to be fair. We were really unlucky.

Southgate has evolved this tournament imo. Promising signs. We aren’t getting anyone better.

Edited by Smallen

Genuinely don’t know how England FA would turn too. Has to be someone that keeps the team harmony going. Steve Cooper would be my guess because of his previous connections with England and being involved with likes of Foden etc.

Cant see us ever going aboard again. 

Howe the inform one, but that would be a very hard battle to get. Staying internal with like Steve Holland would be an utter disaster.

Just now, silentwars said:

I thought that before he took it, but then if the other player missed everyone would be raging that Kane didn't take it.

Exactly why it was only ever going to be Kane. Different if they had a Lampard or Gerrard there, but nobody else in that squad is an automatic PK taker for their club. 

Just now, Smallen said:

We were well in that game and the better side imo. We did take the game to them and didn’t play a back 5 and retreat. Tactically we mastered Mbappé. I couldn’t really have asked for more from Southgate to be fair. We were really unlucky.

Southgate has evolved this tournament imo. Promising signs. We aren’t getting anyone better.

You're not going to get better without replacing him either though.

1 minute ago, AM99 said:

I love Southgate and by and large I think he's done a decent job this tournament but I think a new approach under a different manager could be a good thing. Saying that I would also be happy for him to continue for Euro 24.

I also don't really see any managers out there that are both A) and improvement on Southgate and B) realistic. Dyche maybe?

I'd try and approach Newcastle for Howe. Before he proved he can actually manage a big team, it was clear he was appointed to be a transition manager before they went for a big name anyway like Mark Hughes was at Man City.

1 minute ago, pearcey_90 said:

Genuinely don’t know how England FA would turn too. Has to be someone that keeps the team harmony going. Steve Cooper would be my guess because of his previous connections with England and being involved with likes of Foden etc.

Cant see us ever going aboard again. 

Howe the inform one, but that would be a very hard battle to get. Staying internal with like Steve Holland would be an utter disaster.

Time for Aidy Boothroyd to earn his coin

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

Btw those who wanted us to go and attack France from the off, you know they have Mbappe and Dembele to counter with right? We'd have been done for by HT.

It's weird how every team ever to win an international tournament has been held back by their defensive manager....

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

Did we not attack? Looked to me like we were one of the best attacking teams at the WC. Top scorers?

Okay, 6 were against Iran, but we looked so different to the NL England

I've always been for Southgate, just not sure who's better. Howe maybe.

Southgate's had a good tournament, but he'll always pick his favourites and will rarely make ballsy calls that can decide games.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

We were well in that game and the better side imo. We did take the game to them (as much as you realistically can against the world champions) and didn’t play a back 5 and retreat. Tactically we mastered Mbappé. I couldn’t really have asked for more from Southgate to be fair. We were really unlucky.

Issue would be, does he move on this squad over the next 18 months? He clearly has favourites, so would he dare leave out Sterling/Maguire etc over that period when it’s likely they should be as the cycle with them is ending.

1 minute ago, Bootador said:

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Southgate after this tournament. He got the first 11 right, bad changes in this game but sometimes that happens.

Bad changes happen every game with Southgate though.

Just now, Bootador said:

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Southgate after this tournament. He got the first 11 right, bad changes in this game but sometimes that happens.

If he stays he must get an assistant manager that will give him a bollocking and make sure he does actually have a plan B and capacity to change the game.

Just now, Heartwork said:

I'd try and approach Newcastle for Howe. Before he proved he can actually manage a big team, it was clear he was appointed to be a transition manager before they went for a big name anyway like Mark Hughes was at Man City.

Howe is a bad manager, stay away imo.

;)

4 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Why wouldn't you? Only reason would be racism.

Not at all, this is meant to be the best of England. Same way I wouldn't want an English manager if I was from Argentina. I understand smaller countries going for foreign managers, but I'm firmly of the opinion we should be appointing English or at least British managers. Plus, it hasn't exactly worked out when we've both in other highly rated foreign coaches in the past. @skybluedave

Edited by silentwars

4 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

It’s clutching at the clutchiest of straws. It probably was a foul but that’s football. Not a chance it was as clear as many make out. 

Thats just it. It's a debatable foul. Right in the corner, France go all the way up the other end and England dont deal with it.

If Mbappe goes down in that very counter attack, there could have been a free kick and yellow card too. So many little decisions like that throughout games, uts for teams to manage and deal with.

1 minute ago, silentwars said:

Not at all, this is meant to be the best of England. Same way I wouldn't want an English manager if I was from Argentina. I understand smaller countries going for foreign managers, but I'm firmly of the opinion we should be appointing English or at least British managers. Plus, it hasn't exactly worked out when we've both in other highly rated foreign coaches in the past. 

But all the English managers are terrible.

2 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Issue would be, does he move on this squad over the next 18 months? He clearly has favourites, so would he dare leave out Sterling/Maguire etc over that period when it’s likely they should be as the cycle with them is ending.

Unless a left footed centre back comes along, there’s no need to replace Maguire as long as he keeps playing like he has done for England.