FM23 Headline Features Revealed

2 minutes ago, saihtam said:

And how many new players it might add? Or the ones who are cut out for maybe one year and then decide to upgrade to get better game. 

We can speculate endlesly with these things, but in modern game development or in any business that are so long lasting, you need to take leaps and take advantage of things surrounding you.

None of this will be new to SI though. They will have thought all this through before making decisions 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, dino88 said:

random question but does SI get so much s*** for their features every year, or is this year the year us fans are "rebelling"? 

There's lots of feelings towards FM series and like in old marriage things tend to grow bigger if you think you're not being listened. :D "He didn't fix the roof all he did was talk", "They didn't fix set pieces, again I'm not being listened". So yes there's always someone who thinks they're not listened. :D

9 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

There's lots of feelings towards FM series and like in old marriage things tend to grow bigger if you think you're not being listened. :D "He didn't fix the roof all he did was talk", "They didn't fix set pieces, again I'm not being listened". So yes there's always someone who thinks they're not listened. :D

This. And should be said that ultimately the numbers (whichever way one stands) are a minority of the forum, which is a minority of the fanbase itself. 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This. And should be said that ultimately the numbers (whichever way one stands) are a minority of the forum, which is a minority of the fanbase itself. 

do you think their team reads these forums? 

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

@jimbo22 That's the sort of thing that generally gets looked at anyway. The transfer module, ME etc are worked on for almost every version, regardless of whether it makes headlines.

Which is great if they actually fix it - but they haven't. This isn't a new thing from FM22, this AI making stupidly unrealistic low offers for first team players has been there for as many versions as I can remember.

So at this point it does feel like either SI don't want to/can't be bothered to/more important things to - fix it - or, more likely, that it can't be fixed for whatever reason.  

10 hours ago, Just4Downloads said:

It would without doubt be one of the biggest and best features they have added in recent memory if they implemented it. And that’s not an exaggeration. Immersion would go to a whole new level, despite the subpar graphics. 

I have no doubt it will be at some stage as the basis for it already exists in the database 

14 hours ago, Just4Downloads said:

It would without doubt be one of the biggest and best features they have added in recent memory if they implemented it. And that’s not an exaggeration. Immersion would go to a whole new level, despite the subpar graphics. 

It might not be an exaggeration for you, but it is massively subjective.  I honestly couldn't care about that as a feature.

4 hours ago, alian62 said:

I have no doubt it will be at some stage as the basis for it already exists in the database 

Those don't seem like a basis for an editor, they're all data points that could drive other non-visual things.  Undersoil heating is going to drive whether matches get postponed or not, and probably a similar deal to the roof options.  If it was a basis for a proper visual editor there would have been a lot more points of editing before now.  Suspect it's the usual mix of "it's not a direction we want to go down" and "it's not a direction we're allowed to go down".

Delegating transfers to the DOF has to be a viable option this year. Its a big part of real life football now and in game he still makes stupid decisions regardless of his attributes. And if your club vision has a club culture option of "signing english players" or similar he will then ONLY make bids for players of that nationality regardless if the club culture option is only "preferred" as opposed to "required", which I would then have no complaints about.

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

It might not be an exaggeration for you, but it is massively subjective.  I honestly couldn't care about that as a feature.

Those don't seem like a basis for an editor, they're all data points that could drive other non-visual things.  Undersoil heating is going to drive whether matches get postponed or not, and probably a similar deal to the roof options.  If it was a basis for a proper visual editor there would have been a lot more points of editing before now.  Suspect it's the usual mix of "it's not a direction we want to go down" and "it's not a direction we're allowed to go down".

No it use to work . Doesn't in FM22 but did in earlier versions . 

19 minutes ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Console FM is an abomination and a complete waste of SI resources.

It brings new players to the game. Think its a smart move if done well as players start to enjoy the experience of building their own teams and then go to the full fat PC version.

Issue is gonna be graphics which will turn people off 

FM22 is my first edition. I'll be buying FM23.

I'd like better graphics. It's just lowest item for me. I would prefer them grinding out AI improvements and slowly cleaning up league rules issues. Better experience in a game world where rules ranging from MLS to the UK to Australia must coexist. I'd prefer to have a reliable path to set up a functioning U23 for a EFL League 1 club than I would better massively improved graphics.

And I like thinking I don't need an advanced computer. I'm just old fashioned. My favorite Total War game is Total War: Shogun 2. I'd have been happy if every year they just kept refining that an improving that slightly versus building out new games that would blow up my new, middle-of-the-road computer.

I expect I'm in the minority.

53 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

when are we getting more information? I’m assuming the beta is less than 2 weeks away? It’s one thing to have headline features that aren’t that exciting but not having any build up to release is just terrible.

Guessing soon as they had the youtubers,streamers down at the office at the weekend

53 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

when are we getting more information? I’m assuming the beta is less than 2 weeks away? It’s one thing to have headline features that aren’t that exciting but not having any build up to release is just terrible.

Miles last week there'll be feature blogs a few weeks into October 

7 minutes ago, DP said:

The thing that would help is a bit more communication. Paradox are great at writing some dev diaries and talking about plans for future expansions. 

If SI came out and said ‘there won’t be many new changes this year as we’re focusing on some major changes for next year and this is what we’re doing etc’ it would be great for the community and there would be far more constructive discussion and less criticism imo. 

A lot here would probably be absolutely cool paying for a refresh this year whilst we wait for some bigger changes that have longer development cycles. 

I would love to think that would be true, but I'm not sure it would be tbh. I think we do need Dev diaries, but they are no good if your recipients are not willing to listen. You've been around longer than I have, and I've been here over a decade, the amount of direct Dev input over the years has dropped massively, and that's directly down to the amount of **** they used to get here. It's not part of their job to come here and get abused, so you've seen less and less. Which is a massive shame, I know Neil has tried to fill that void and a few come on when they can, but not quite the same anymore 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I would love to think that would be true, but I'm not sure it would be tbh. I think we do need Dev diaries, but they are no good if your recipients are not willing to listen. You've been around longer than I have, and I've been here over a decade, the amount of direct Dev input over the years has dropped massively, and that's directly down to the amount of **** they used to get here. 

It didn’t used to be too bad in the noughties. It’s definitely got worse though, as most of the internet has over the years. There wasn’t as much toxicity around in the early internet days and I suspect social media has a lot to answer for…

Just now, DP said:

It didn’t used to be too bad in the noughties. It’s definitely got worse though, as most of the internet has over the years. There wasn’t as much toxicity around in the early internet days and I suspect social media has a lot to answer for…

Yep, and I think we all miss out hugely as a result, we as fans miss out on the knowledge, and they miss out on the interaction, i know when the interaction is good, the devs who have mentioned it to me have enjoyed it

The FMFC website is definitely a bit of a headscratcher. Released to big fanfare and promises of unspecified exciting content and exclusives to come and then just forgotten about? 

Interesting to see if the feature blog will be the start of a revival for using the platform or if it's kind of been regarded as a bit of a failed experiment. I often forget it even exists unless I get an email about it.

11 hours ago, grade said:

You all now know, what FM Touch users have endured in the last 4 to 5 years or so (with exception of last year).

I also would have loved more Dev Diaries, like Paradox. More engagement with the community, but not with this management.

The YouTube, is a dead channel. Any youtuber, that has proper channel, has more videos in week then SI in full year. FMFC is worthless site, aside from some sweepstakes to win a jersey, one or two blog posts... That was all they did. And the info they provided there is negligible, because it is the same info you find on headline features or any sort social media or YouTube. This is what it gets you when pre-sales hit new records, without any new announcements... they aren't even trying, because they simply don't have too.

As for the Headline features video...  you have new movements in your match engine show them, don't clip an existing movement that already exists in previous matches. You will look amateurish as it looks it was added last minute or some intern forgot to capture footage the days before... :(   I'm gonna make comparison again with FIFA, but go and see their announcements trailers for FIFA23 and see how much of match engine they show?  Now compared to what SI releases? We had what a full minute in the entire 45 minute Headline video of match engine and we are what about less the 2 weeks from release game... Sigh... FIFA23 showed more in game footage in 10 or so minutes of headline features, then SI in 45 minutes... :(

Sigh...:seagull: As said on other thread, SI are comfortable in their current situation. New pre-sales record without any features announcements and little to no engagement in these forums is SI formula to success...

Paradox gets hate with their DLCs(Basically same as SI doing small feature updates year after year) and some strange balancing stuff, but they should be every game development company example how to  give out information to the community, specially if the game are so complex like are paradox or FM in this case. SI marketing showing video and having passionate devs talk on screen is not enough transparency and overview of the games state.
Paradox example, they even have dedicated tab for it to see all games dev diaries: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diaries/
Even 1 or 2 similar stuff by SI would be enough.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Just because something isn't specifically for you, doesn't mean it's not for everyone else. 

We like constructive feedback and discussion on here, but stuff like this helps no-one and just serves to stir up controversy for the sake of it. 

I may have just missed it, but have any features been announced after the headline features? I thought SI communicated that more features would be announced over the following weeks but I haven’t seen further info. Sorry if I’m just impatient and it is in the pipeline :)

2 minutes ago, FelixForte said:

I may have just missed it, but have any features been announced after the headline features? I thought SI communicated that more features would be announced over the following weeks but I haven’t seen further info. Sorry if I’m just impatient and it is in the pipeline :)

They'll be blogged on FMFC this month.

24 minutes ago, ImDaWeasel said:

So opinions in a discussion within an open forum are no longer tolerated if it doesn't comply with the status quo? 

Hiring staff to code and design for console instead of say a hiring (or re-hiring) a dedicated match graphics team? 

1.8m posts for PC and 27k posts for console and touch? 

I don't think I'm being that controversial by thinking console FM is very watered down version of game that's barely "pick up n play" and the money spent on producing and expanding onto other platforms could be used better to make the foundation game, that no doubt is still where the money is made, a better experience.

Screenshot_20221012-121456_Samsung Internet.jpg

They need to be respectful and constructive. Your previous post absolutely was not, so no more of that

20 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Considering there are loads of people here complaining about people with older machines being supported, why not try to view the bigger picture? Perhaps those with older machines can be shuffled over to a console and support for the oldest hardware can be removed?

1 hour ago, ImDaWeasel said:

So opinions in a discussion within an open forum are no longer tolerated if it doesn't comply with the status quo? 

Hiring staff to code and design for console instead of say a hiring (or re-hiring) a dedicated match graphics team? 

1.8m posts for PC and 27k posts for console and touch? 

I don't think I'm being that controversial by thinking console FM is very watered down version of game that's barely "pick up n play" and the money spent on producing and expanding onto other platforms could be used better to make the foundation game, that no doubt is still where the money is made, a better experience.

Screenshot_20221012-121456_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just because there are less posts in that section, doesn’t mean there aren’t those of us who play non-PC versions.

When they announced no FM Touch on iPad for 22, I was disappointed because that’s the way I play. I don’t have the time or desire to play full-fat FM anymore.

I’d love SI to continue putting resources into alternatives to PC because it makes the game more accessible.

17 hours ago, autohoratio said:

I remember some time ago an SI staff (Neil Brock maybe? I can't remember exactly) said that they wanted to be more transparent with the community going forward.

Yet nothing has improved in that regard.

Look at the FMFC blog for example. Almost completely neglected - only 6 articles published in the last 12 months: One is a "5 FM22 features we love" list, two are shirt design votes, one is announcing Versus Mode, one is a blog about a newgen competition winner and the final one is the FM23 announcement. The same thing goes for the SI youtube channel; a few videos promoting FM22 and then the channel is forgotten about for 9 months until the FM23 announcement and headline feature videos.

There really doesn't seem to be much desire to engage with the community.

If you feel bad about the FMFC blog, just check their Youtube channel. Before FM23 stuff was posted, their last video were uploaded 10 months ago.

I think that their communication should't be decided only on what Miles want to publish or not. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I feel that if isn't him interacting every aug/sep/oct/nov, we would have nothing else left.

1 hour ago, renato. said:

If you feel bad about the FMFC blog, just check their Youtube channel. Before FM23 stuff was posted, their last video were uploaded 10 months ago.

I think that their communication should't be decided only on what Miles want to publish or not. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I feel that if isn't him interacting every aug/sep/oct/nov, we would have nothing else left.

I get the feeling that Miles is treating it like standing at the door and keeping the wolves at bay.  He seems happy enough to get the abuse so he can dish a bit back, and if he becomes the more "public face" so to speak then the developers aren't getting it.

Not saying it's a good strategy (although seeing the seethe he develops is always funny) but it maybe partially explains it.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Considering there are loads of people here complaining about people with older machines being supported, why not try to view the bigger picture? Perhaps those with older machines can be shuffled over to a console and support for the oldest hardware can be removed?

Not sure too many people that play FM and only FM on their 10 year old work toaster are going to be buying a PS5 to play it. I think the potential console audience is new set of people.

Until people stop buying it there's no need for SI to rip up the old floorboards. People obviously won't because overall it's still a good product and it doesn't have any genuine competition.

6 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I get the feeling that Miles is treating it like standing at the door and keeping the wolves at bay.  He seems happy enough to get the abuse so he can dish a bit back, and if he becomes the more "public face" so to speak then the developers aren't getting it.

Not saying it's a good strategy (although seeing the seethe he develops is always funny) but it maybe partially explains it.

I think their strategy for 23 is to say as little as possible. They don't want to oversell anything and leave themselves open to another Zealand dynamic youth rating debacle.

Or they've just not got anything to say (possible based on the feature vid). 

Edited by KeiranShikari

Метакритик. FM22 находится на четвертом месте по рейтингу пользователей за 12 лет:

ФМ10 - 87, 8.7

ФМ11 - 85, 8.3

ФМ12 - 84, 7.9

ФМ13 - 86, 6.9

ФМ14 - 85, 5,7

ФМ15 - 80, 6.2

ФМ16 – 81, 6.1

ФМ17 - 80, 5.4

ФМ18 - 82, 6.0

ФМ19 – 86, 7.1

ФМ20 - 84, 6.1

ФМ21 - 85, 6.4

изображение.png.104b965afc95bf5d392f53538308bd28.png

Edited by bahmet

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

It is not feasible in today's companies. There are marketing teams for these reason, not studio director is doing tweeting about features and all other stuff he does. It seems that he wants to be in control of everything. I think the biggest change will come when Miles steps a bit more down or leaves. It might go completely bad of course but fresh air and not one person dictating could be good.

41 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

The lack of meaningful information about the new FM, so close to release date, combined with the lackluster, internally overhyped headline features - much ado about not that much - is starting to bother me and feels disrespectful towards the FM community. It's like they're taking the fans and sales figures for granted. I wish there would be some honesty in the promotional content, an admission that there are no world changing features because they're working on something bigger for FM 24 or FM 25 - which takes time and resources. A new graphics enginge because of the introduction of women's football, for example.

I'm Belgian, and the FM promotion machine is giving me some Robert Martínez vibes, who's always hyperbolic in his positivity when there's actually not that much to be positive about.

I was always like every other FM was the one to get as they would implement something that wasnt ready but was refined and ready by the next iteration.

I find now that the difference between FM20-FM22 is slight for a 3 year cycle.

I feel like a big changes are coming for a few reasons

• There have been big asks from the community for years that havent been delivered. If im being perfectly honest the headline features 
    • Transfers - QoL stuff but nothing that takes alot of time to do (im sure there are underhood stuff but i wouldnt all what they showed "headline"
    • UEFA competitions - again this wouldnt of taken a huge effort to design and implement 
    • Manager timeline - See above 
    • So brings the question of what resources were allocated to 
  • They mentioned in the headliner features video about being able to see the correct arms bands in each competition. The graphics currently cant handle that to the point why even mention it. Maybe they are setting the ground work 
  • THey also mentioned during the ME segment about the animations implemented in FM22 was the ground work for everything in the future. 
  • They are making a big push for womens football. Sounds like they have a few million ringfenced for that project. If its a ground up building of the womens game and it brings across new tactical and graphical stuff

I've not bought since FM2020, that's mainly because of enjoyment of a long term save and time rather than not being impressed by any new updates. But my long term save is coming to end so I had the mindset that i'm definitely going to buy FM2023. However the headline features were so disappointing i'm honestly considering just starting a new save on FM20. Last year the announcement of dynamic youth rating made me come so close to getting it later on in the year but when I started to see lots of comments that this didn't actually work at all it made me glad I didn't bother..

Think you're always gonna get a % that will buy no matter what, but they need to do a lot better for those of us who are more reluctant than the headline features that got announced this game