The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

6 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Bellingham can play that DM role if needed, Henderson also, even JWP. Its such a rigid outlook to just simply say oh these players can't play these other roles if they're needed to :D

Look at the France squad, they're taking 5 CMs total, and we're talking about taking about 8 or 9 players who can play there :D 

So you'd cut one of the best DMs in the country to shoehorn someone in who "can do a job"? I'm sorry but no, if one of Rice or Phillips gets injured you're massively sweating on the fitness of the other because we will not be anywhere near as secure without them. 

It's absolutely not having a rigid outlook at all, it's being absolutely baffled that you'd potentially leave the squad short in an important position for no reason. Of course you need versatile players, but you don't drop a player just because someone else could play there if necessary, that's nonsensical. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

But Rice and Phillips are great deep lying playmakers, why wouldn't we want to utilise them.

because as was the original point, if its a choice between taking a left back who could genuinely make a difference to a game, or taking a player who fills a place incase someone gets injured when there are others who can as well, i'll take the player I think would make a difference 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

So you'd cut one of the best DMs in the country to shoehorn someone in who "can do a job"? I'm sorry but no, if one of Rice or Phillips gets injured you're massively sweating on the fitness of the other because we will not be anywhere near as secure without them. 

It's absolutely not having a rigid outlook at all, it's being absolutely baffled that you'd potentially leave the squad short in an important position for no reason. Of course you need versatile players, but you don't drop a player just because someone else could play there if necessary, that's nonsensical. 

because i'm more excited by Bellingham than Phillips, and if you're saying Bellingham can't play that role, thats also nonsensical. 

Well Phillips did kinda do his shoulder. Leeds say he'll be fit for Euros but JWP's endurance should edge him I feel. JWP just became the first outfield player to have played every single minute in 2 consecutive seasons, he'll be a reliable asset. If I was Southgate, I'd have Ward Prowse over Phillips if both can't make the 26 man squad.

Where did I say Bellingham couldn't play the role? He can, but it would be wasting him, and he's not as good at DM as Phillips is. 

Bellingham should play with Phillips (or Rice), dropping Phillips and playing Bellingham at DM is completely daft especially when you've got 26 spaces. 

1 minute ago, sc91 said:

I'm liking that everyone seems to be keeping Coady in the 26.

I was surprised to see him on there (thought he had a bit of a down year?), but admittedly, haven't bothered watching Wolves in a while. 

3 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Well Phillips did kinda do his shoulder. Leeds say he'll be fit for Euros but JWP's endurance should edge him I feel. JWP just became the first outfield player to have played every single minute in 2 consecutive seasons, he'll be a reliable asset. If I was Southgate, I'd have Ward Prowse over Phillips if both can't make the 26 man squad.

Phillips has had 3 years of Bielsaball, I don't think his endurance and stamina really need any questioning. If his injury keeps him out though then sure, but depends how much he'll miss.

Just now, XuluBak said:

I was surprised to see him on there (thought he had a bit of a down year?), but admittedly, haven't bothered watching Wolves in a while. 

I mean if we are going for our defenders, then yeah, he has been the best, often his partner has been the cause for concern.

I think I can see him getting him as he is a pretty vocal leader and has by all accounts I understand he has been pretty decent for England when called upon?

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Where did I say Bellingham couldn't play the role? He can, but it would be wasting him, and he's not as good at DM as Phillips is. 

Bellingham should play with Phillips (or Rice), dropping Phillips and playing Bellingham at DM is completely daft especially when you've got 26 spaces. 

How are we wasting Bellingham when he won't even start :D thats the point, Bellingham isn't getting in ahead of a fit Henderson, even if I think he should be. Bellingham covers both DM and CM, we don't need a backup player for both

By playing him in a position he's not as good in, obviously. There's absolutely no point. And you absolutely should have a back up for both, you're an injury or suspension away from making the first 11 loads weaker for absolutely no reason with what you're suggesting. 

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

Saka should absolutely be in the squad, he is someone who can come on at left back and bring something different than Shaw/Chilwell 

Too many people just want to take similar players who don't make any difference to a game 

Saka won't be going imo and you don't need three LBs. 

12 minutes ago, sc91 said:

I'm liking that everyone seems to be keeping Coady in the 26.

I think he's got a good (better) chance of going now than pre Maguire injury. 

No idea if Southgate is going to play a 343 or a 433, he's switched it up quite a bit in recent games. I think if Maguire doesn't make it then we'll got 343. 

6 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

Gareth is just sitting on the fence here. He’s going to take 4 RB’s isn’t he, I can feel it.

Suggesting James can play CM :D

James can play CM, was excellent there at times for Wigan. Haven't seen him play there for Chelsea but I don't watch them often enough. 

He "thinks" Trent can play CM? If that's one of the reasons for selecting him then surely he should know. What a load of bollocks anyway...neither of them will be playing CM. This is why Southgate winds me up...talks rubbish.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

He aint gonna be playing there in the Euros though is he? Talking absolute ***** as usual (Southgate, not you!)

You'd hope not because if he does then you'd have to think there's been a massive injury crisis in the squad :D 

However I don't think having 1 or 2 players that are capable of playing 2 or 3 different roles isn't the worst idea as in theory it should free up a squad place somewhere - however this is Southgate and he'll probably take all 4 just to avoid upsetting some people :D 

It's mad that we have to pick from:

EPL Champions and CL finalist right back.

La Liga Champions right back

EPL 3rd place right back

EPL 4th place and other CL finalist right back

And technically could have included EPL 2nd place and Europa League finalist right back. 

33 minutes ago, Pukey said:

James can play CM, was excellent there at times for Wigan. Haven't seen him play there for Chelsea but I don't watch them often enough. 

TBF, having played in midfield for Wigan in the Championship for one season, a few years ago, isn't exactly a strong indicator for how he'd perform there in a completely different team, in who knows what setup, with limited training time, playing against internationals in the context of Euros. Same goes for him playing CB, TAA playing midfield, or any of a number of players playing other positions. Who cares? It's nonsense in the context of a 26-man squad for Euros a few weeks away. As @Baptista_8 said, he's talking nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

EPL 3rd place right back

And technically could have included EPL 2nd place and Europa League finalist right back. 

How we'd have killed for even the worst 2 out of that list when we were taking Glen Johnson as first choice and Martin Kelly/Phil Jones as covering choice.

15 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

TBF, having played in midfield for Wigan in the Championship for one season, a few years ago, isn't exactly a strong indicator for how he'd perform there in a completely different team, in who knows what setup, with limited training time, playing against internationals in the context of Euros. Same goes for him playing CB, TAA playing midfield, or any of a number of players playing other positions. Who cares? It's nonsense in the context of a 26-man squad for Euros a few weeks away. As @Baptista_8 said, he's talking nonsense. 

Oh I don't disagree with any of that, but at the same time Ryan :Ding at the suggestion he can play CM needs correcting as he definitely can, even if we clearly wouldn't want to be in a situation where we're playing him there. 

33 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

EPL 3rd place right back

And our options beyond that aren't exactly awful either :D Our depth at RB is so bizarrely good.

For me i'd take out Watkins, Godfrey, Coady or White, Ramsdale, Saka, Lingard and one of the right backs, probably Trent knowing Southgate but it'd probably be James for me.  Thats assuming no further injuries. Could probably make a case for it being harsh on all of those but i think theres better options in the squad in their positions realistically. 

I’d take Saka because he’s something different. Direct left footed winger. Not because he’s versatile. Sick of players getting touted because they can slot into a few positions, rather have game changers and he’s possibly one. 

36 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Surely Henderson doesn't make the 26? He hasn't played since middle of Feb

Pretty light on experience in midfield otherwise.

Mason Mount = 16 caps, Declan Rice = 15 caps, Kalvin Phillips = 7 caps, Phil Foden = 6 caps

I mean I love the "fearless young players" narrative as much as anyone, but every chance this lot are getting ripped apart when we have to play a decent team in the R16.

You can count on one hand the number of times any of them have played for England against a vaguely competent side.

52 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

I’d take Saka because he’s something different. Direct left footed winger. Not because he’s versatile. Sick of players getting touted because they can slot into a few positions, rather have game changers and he’s possibly one. 

Exactly, people just want to take players who are like for like. If we need a goal with 20 minutes to go, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho etc aren't changing your tactics off the bench, but Saka on at left back gives you a completely different threat down that left hand side

4 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Gareth is just sitting on the fence here. He’s going to take 4 RB’s isn’t he, I can feel it.

Suggesting James can play CM :D

Yeah he's taking all four. :D 

I've never seen James play CM but he can apparently according to Southgate and this thread, fair enough but he's not going to be playing there this summer is he. Same with Trent, I've never seen him play CM for Liverpool yet there Southgate is, talking him up as a potential option in the middle of the park for the Euro's. Bizarre. 

50 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Exactly, people just want to take players who are like for like. If we need a goal with 20 minutes to go, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho etc aren't changing your tactics off the bench, but Saka on at left back gives you a completely different threat down that left hand side

Is he that much better attacking than Shaw or Chillwell though?