The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Haguey said:

No we should take a guy desperately out of form instead because he used to be good before this season. Isn't that what we used to slag managers off for?

How closely you been following Trippier this season?

Just now, adhikapp said:

Trent's drop of form has been greatly exaggerated. It's not like he became League One standard at his worst. And he's picked up his performance towards the end of the season.

Yeah he's been one of our best players lately, since about a month before Southgate dropped him. That idiot waited until he was back in form to drop him for being out of form :D

Yeah, the squad announcement is tomorrow so I assume the big omissions and inclusions will be leaked throughout the course of today. Probably today that the players get told if they are going, Southgate is absolutely the sort to ring round with a personal phone call which will take a while. So by the time he does his official presser tomorrow everybody already knows.

On 23/05/2021 at 00:01, EnterUsernameHere said:

I know they are, but they shouldn't be. James especially, I don't see it with him.

It should be Walker and Trent. Trippier is good, but his best form for England has been as a wing back. He's also protected a lot by Simeone's system

TAA should probably go but I don't have any issue with Southgate wanting to play the more defensively solid player given they'll be alongside John Stones and in front of Jordan Pickford.

James is also absolutely brilliant, shouldn't be any questions about his capabilities at all.

2 minutes ago, Robokid87 said:

TAA should probably go but I don't have any issue with Southgate wanting to play the more defensively solid player given they'll be alongside John Stones and in front of Jordan Pickford.

James is also absolutely brilliant, shouldn't be any questions about his capabilities at all.

Ha, he’s not even a guaranteed starter for you.

1 minute ago, AM99 said:

Don't think i'd have Trent starting but it would be a shocking decision not to have him in the squad.

Yeah, I could totally understand picking Walker in the 11, but to not take TAA at all is just baffling. 

1 hour ago, Pukey said:

I defended not selecting Trent in March, but not selecting him for the Euros is a proper shambles. 

Yeah this. 

Edit: What's weird is he dropped him when he was in bad form and alternatives playing well. Since then Trent has imrpoved and got back to his normal level. So surely Southgate must be thinking 'job done, dropping him worked, lets get him in the squad now'

Edited by skybluedave

13 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

As a 3rd centre back for a few.

Only the last 3, but it is something he can do well which is no bad thing.

As I say, he *should* take TAA and he probably *shouldn't* take James (personally I'd take all 4 but that's probably a minority opinion), but the way people are carrying on you'd think he was some sort of Championship player rather than probably the most well-rounded of all of them, if also the one with the fewest standout characteristics.

Just now, Robokid87 said:

Only the last 3, but it is something he can do well which is no bad thing.

As I say, he *should* take TAA and he probably *shouldn't* take James (personally I'd take all 4 but that's probably a minority opinion), but the way people are carrying on you'd think he was some sort of Championship player rather than probably the most well-rounded of all of them, if also the one with the fewest standout characteristics.

I'd take all four too. It's not a criticism of James, he's not bad, but Trent is top class.

2 hours ago, Pukey said:

I defended not selecting Trent in March, but not selecting him for the Euros is a proper shambles. 

TAA has one goal and four assists (in PL) since that international break. Coincidently, that's what James has tallied in two PL seasons with Chelsea. 

For as bad as TAA's form was for a while there, he only finished behind KdB and Bruno for big chances created. 

Not starting him for some matches is one thing, but excluding the best attacking FB in the world, especially when you get three extra slots and are presumably taking three RBs, would be completely indefensible. 

Edited by XuluBak

Both Walker and Trippier are 31 this year so it might be their last tournament for both, especially with Reece and Trent in the shadows. Honestly it should be Walker and Trent as the certainties for this Euros with James & Trippier competing for the next spot, but of course that won't happen. And bringing all 4 would be a waste of squad space.

As a United fan, Wan-Bissaka not even being mentioned is a possibility is disappointing, but seeing that Trent might not even make it is even worse. Thank God I'm not English.

4 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Both Walker and Trippier are 31 this year so it might be their last tournament for both, especially with Reece and Trent in the shadows. Honestly it should be Walker and Trent as the certainties for this Euros with James & Trippier competing for the next spot, but of course that won't happen. And bringing all 4 would be a waste of squad space.

As a United fan, Wan-Bissaka not even being mentioned is a possibility is disappointing, but seeing that Trent might not even make it is even worse. Thank God I'm not English.

Wan-Bassaka is awful. A defensive full back who gets targeted by pretty much every team now.

Stick a cross in to the back post and he's probably lost his man.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

10 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Wan-Bassaka is awful. A defensive full back who gets targeted by pretty much every team now.

This is a bit extreme. Does he have a problem defending crosses coming in from the left? Sure, he does tend to get pulled inwards to his nearest CB and therefore leaving a big gap behind him but he doesn't get 'targeted' in open play and at 1v1s. He's the best 1v1 FB in the league defensively.

He absolutely pocketed Neymar in the away game in Paris in the CL this season. 

Edited by craigcwwe

6 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

The problem is we're going to be calling up Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Bellingham, when it should just be 2 out of those 4, but pushed to 3 due to the extra space  

Henderson shouldn't be going, he hasn't played for 4 months and there's better players available anyway. Bring him along as a glorified cheerleader if he's that important behind the scenes but shouldn't be part of the playing squad with the players we have available who are actually fit. 

11 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

The problem is we're going to be calling up Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Bellingham, when it should just be 2 out of those 4, but pushed to 3 due to the extra space  

Just two? Who else would you pick for CM then?

15 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Wouldn't class him as a 'defensive full-back' anymore after this season when he has more assists than 'attacking' Joao Cancelo in the league.

He's also the best 1v1 defender in the league, and calling him the best tackler in the world at this rate wouldn't be an exaggeration. Man pocketed Neymar in the Champions League. But I do get why he isn't in the mix with 4 right backs more suited to Southgate.

17 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Genuinely confused by this, you'd only take 2 CMs? 

17 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

This is a bit extreme. Does he have a problem defending crosses coming in from the left? Sure, he does tend to get pulled inwards to his nearest CB and therefore leaving a big gap behind him but he doesn't get 'targeted' in open play and at 1v1s. He's the best 1v1 FB in the league defensively.

He absolutely pocketed Neymar in the away game in Paris in the CL this season. 

6 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Wouldn't class him as a 'defensive full-back' anymore after this season when he has more assists than 'attacking' Joao Cancelo in the league.

He's also the best 1v1 defender in the league, and calling him the best tackler in the world at this rate wouldn't be an exaggeration. Man pocketed Neymar in the Champions League. But I do get why he isn't in the mix with 4 right backs more suited to Southgate.

1 Vs 1 he's the best, I agree. It's such a small part of being a modern right back that it isn't as impressive as you both suggest though. 

I couldn't care less about whether he has more assists than Cancelo, if you think he's better going forward than Cancelo then you've lost the plot.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

1 Vs 1 he's the best, I agree. It's such a small part of being a modern football that it isn't as impressive as you both suggest though. 

I couldn't care less about whether he has more assists than Cancelo, if you think he's better going forward than Cancelo then you've lost the plot.

PL stats 2020/21 season:

AWB: 2 goal and 4 assists

James: 1 goal and 2 assists

Trent: 2 goals and 7 assists

Trippier: 1 goal and 3 assists

Walker: 1 goal and 1 assist

Cancelo fwiw seeing as he was brought up, 2 goals and 3 assists.

Southgate doesn't like AWB so he'll probably opt to play for DR Congo at some point in the future. Walker and Trippier are both 31 later this year so coming towards the end of their international careers with England, this could be their tournament if they both get picked though I'm not sure Southgate will take Trippier so he might've played his last tournament for England already. 

So then you've got Trent and James as probably one and two in that order for England longer term with AWB most likely third choice at best but that's going off on a tangent. 

20 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Surely you take at least 4 CMs?

Rice, Henderson, Phillips and Jude. 

That would be my thinking. In my eyes, you'd have Rice and Phillips competing for the DLP role, with Henderson and Bellingham competing for a B2B/standard central midfield role.

24 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Southgate doesn't like AWB

Where's this coming from? Let's not make things up here. AWB is simply not as good as 3 probably 4 players who play in his position and that's why he hasn't been called up. It's not personal. If Walker and Trippier retired after this WC, he'd be called up straight away

22 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

That would be my thinking. In my eyes, you'd have Rice and Phillips competing for the DLP role, with Henderson and Bellingham competing for a B2B/standard central midfield role.

I think if Henderson gets up to speed in training and the two warm up games he'll start alongside Rice with Phillips and Jude the backups but Henderson has barely played the last several months and he's not going to be fully fit for the opening game. 

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Where's this coming from? Let's not make things up here. AWB is simply not as good as 3 probably 4 players who play in his position and that's why he hasn't been called up. It's not personal. If Walker and Trippier retired after this WC, he'd be called up straight away

I don't mean personally, I mean as a player he doesn't like him and his abilities as much as the other guys he's competing with. As I put in another post, he's possibly 3rd choice RB in the near future.