The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

17 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Is Shaw ok to play first game? Thought United and CL finalists being rested? 

If so then maybe 343 first game and Tripper and Trent at wing backs

I'd rest Shaw and Chilwell (one on bench) and start Saka. Then start Shaw the next game. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

What do people think will be the teams tried against Austria and Romania? I’m thinking Southgate will go 4-3-3 against Austria and try out 3-5-2/3-4-3 against Romania :/

Austria - Pickford: Trippier, Coady, Mings, Shaw: Phillips, Bellingham, Lingard: Grealish, DCL, Sancho (with fringe players like White etc all coming on after 60 mins). 

Romania - Pickford: James, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell: Rice, Henderson: Foden, Kane, Mount 

The dreaded 5 at the back rolled out against a poor side so we look good and that sways Gareth :D 

If he hasn’t decided whether it’s a back 3 or a back for by now we’ve got no chance :D 

3 hours ago, Smallen said:

If he hasn’t decided whether it’s a back 3 or a back for by now we’ve got no chance :D 

Other teams change systems: “OMG England won’t cope against these foreign teams that can be tactically flexible!”

England change system: “LOL, Southgate doesn’t know what he’s doing!!”

Add @Smallen to the list of non-believers.

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Villa and Scouse fans when Football Comes Home and we haven't used Grealish or Alexander-Arnold:

giphy.gif

Me when Ward-Prowse wins the tournament with a perfect free kick:

James Ward Prowse GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

(p.s. there is far more to his game than the lazy pundit view all he has is free kicks and corners)

18 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Tbf if TAA was called up, it would be a bit of a surprise, but still bit of a poor error to get his name wrong

Yeah agreed. Obviously no smoke without fire and I expect Trent to miss out considering all that's been said.

But this is still all just gossip at the moment. The players are in Middlesbrough on a training camp with an upcoming Friendly to play for. Injuries can happen, players could play themselves into contention with a good performance. 

Just now, skybluedave said:

Yeah agreed. Obviously no smoke without fire and I expect Trent to miss out considering all that's been said.

But this is still all just gossip at the moment. The players are in Middlesbrough on a training camp with an upcoming Friendly to play for. Injuries can happen, players could play themselves into contention with a good performance. 

Absolutely. There's already a couple of players with injury issues ( Henderson, Maguire for example) so always a chance for people

I honestly don’t see why he would take Trent over Reece James or Kyle Walker. Trippier is also more versatile and has just been part of a league winning Atletico side, you’d assume Southgate sees more of Trippier than most, it’s not like he’s still stinking it out at Spurs - and Trent pre-dropping has had a poor season and been exposed with Liverpool’s injury woes. 

La Liga winner, CL winner, PL winner and CL finalist, or the guy who was gash most of the season but did alright in the last six weeks against mid-table and lower opposition (and a Man Utd secure in second).

At least TAA will be fit for Liverpool next season, he needs a break. :thup:

13 minutes ago, Haguey said:

La Liga winner, CL winner, PL winner and CL finalist, or the guy who was gash most of the season but did alright in the last six weeks against mid-table and lower opposition (and a Man Utd secure in second).

The whole debate is the least of our issues, and its really weird how wound up people are getting

21 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Just call up Atlético, Chelsea and City players then? Weird argument.

Trent is by far the best right back England have. 

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Just call up Atlético, Chelsea and City players then? Weird argument.

Trent is by far the best right back England have. 

Trent is the best attacking right back we have but not defensively and Southgate isn’t going to set us up to play in a way that gets the best out of Trent’s strengths or hides his weaknesses. 

I think fair play to Southgate for not shoe horning in players that don’t fit how he plays. 

Just now, PaulHartman71 said:

Trent is the best attacking right back we have but not defensively and Southgate isn’t going to set us up to play in a way that gets the best out of Trent’s strengths or hides his weaknesses. 

I think fair play to Southgate for not shoe horning in players that don’t fit how he plays. 

He's statistically been dribbled past least, tackled with the most success and recovered the ball most out of all 4 options, and that's before you get onto attacking play. 

He's not the best defensive full back in the world but you're not comparing him to players who are.

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

He's statistically been dribbled past least, tackled with the most success and recovered the ball most out of all 4 options, and that's before you get onto attacking play. 

He's not the best defensive full back in the world but you're not comparing him to players who are.

Reece James was brilliant the other night. Not seen any of Atletico this season but if Trippier is playing regularly in a Simeone side he’s obviously doing something right. 

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Reece James was brilliant the other night. Not seen any of Atletico this season but if Trippier is playing regularly in a Simeone side he’s obviously doing something right. 

Trippier largely excellent, particularly with his positioning. Much more concerned with what's in front of Trippier or whoever is at right back tbh

Just now, PaulHartman71 said:

Reece James and Trippier are good players. James made the mistake that cost Chelsea in the FA cup final - it happens, but it seems to only be Trent that gets labelled as a liability, when he's far from it.

They suit Southgate's boring tactics more maybe, but that's a reason to get rid of Southgate than praise him for not taking the best option in a position.

JWP only offers set pieces and he's far behind the other contenders in general play, and while that's useful (and I'd have him in my 26 for this reason), you can see why we don't want a one-dimensional quarterback in the squad.

Edited by Haguey

2 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but aren't they deciding this after the warm up games? When is the actual squad list cut off point

tomorrow

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

How many England games you watched past 3 years?

Rarely watch England outside of tournaments so I'd say less than 2. Point is that if your tactics can't get the best out of Trent (and couldn't/can't get the best out of Grealish, there's a problem with your tactics).

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

Liverpool fans getting angry at Trent possibly not called up to Euro 2021 are reaching "Italians seeing people put cream in Carbonara" levels of meltdown.

Also, if Trent ain't going then I'd try to fit JWP in for his set-piece qualities that will be missing if Trent stays home. Also, people underrate JWP's ability outside of set-pieces a lot here, it's insane. He's got a good engine on him, durable (played every minute of the past two Premier League seasons in a row), good passing range, and has a long ranger in him. I know Henderson bring leadership qualities to him and he should be in ahead of JWP should he be fit, but it isn't like JWP isn't also Southampton's captain?! If Henderson's a doubt, JWP can fill in no doubt.

That being said, England's got too many options and Southgate won't end up pleasing anyone with his selections come tomorrow when the squad is announced.

12 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but aren't they deciding this after the warm up games? When is the actual squad list cut off point

Squad deadline is tomorrow but they can replace injured players right up until the day before the tournament starts.

So they will have a final 26 named before the friendlies, but possible a handful of others are kept around and carry on training with them in case of drop outs.

I'll be interested to see whether we go 3-4-3 or 4-3-3. 

At this point, you have to start Foden and Sancho over Rashford and Sterling,

Mount, Henderson, Rice?

Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Tripper/Walker

Maybe Grealish in for Henderson if he's not fit and you go more aggressive

26 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Brilliant? He was arguably their weakest link. If Sterling wasn't in dreadful form, there's a good chance James costs Chelsea UCL. Make no mistake, none of the four are great defenders. TAA is by far the best going forward. Not even having him on the bench is a shockingly bad decision. 

I feel bad for TAA, but hardly angry about it. I suspect this works out in his favor in the end. 

20 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Rarely watch England outside of tournaments so I'd say less than 2. Point is that if your tactics can't get the best out of Trent (and couldn't/can't get the best out of Grealish, there's a problem with your tactics).

100% but not just those two. Sancho, Foden, Mount, Bellingham, Rashford, Sterling etc. We have a lot of attacking talent which Southgate will need to manage right. Goes without saying and we will see in a few weeks

If you'd watched the qualifiers you'd have seen us look pretty good going forward. Scored bucket loads, against average teams ofc, but it was an exciting template to build off of. He then reverted to an overly defensive 343 for the Nations League which didn't really work and now here we are. 

21 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Mount, Henderson, Rice?

Can Mount play in the middle 2 of 343? Coz if so that's the only way I can get excited for 343.

8 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Mount, Henderson, Rice?

I think that he'll definitely stack the midfield against Croatia because that's where the battle was lost for you guys in WC semi-final.

Croatia will probably go with Modrić-Brozović-Kovačić midfield and I don't think you can have the luxury of playing Grealish as a midfielder unless it's 3-5-2.
Even Mount as one of the three in 4-3-3 would be questionable.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I think that he'll definitely stack the midfield against Croatia because that's where the battle was lost for you guys in WC semi-final.

Croatia will probably go with Modrić-Brozović-Kovačić midfield and I don't think you can have the luxury of playing Grealish as a midfielder unless it's 3-5-2.
Even Mount as one of the three in 4-3-3 would be questionable.

I think that's why he's been dicking about with the 3-4-3 tbh, getting overwhelmed in midfield

1 hour ago, VamPook said:

Hmmm, haven't seen MLG in a while

Saints didn't do very well from around November time. 

59 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

How come you are getting so invested in who we play at RB then? I mean you aren't English and don't watch the games outside of the tournaments. Surely you'd just prefer if Trent stayed at home for selfish Liverpool reasons? 

45 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Mount, Henderson, Rice?

I posted in here recently about this, I wonder if Maguire isn't fit for the tournament we just go three at the back? I don't like the CB options besides Maguire and Stones personally. I could see a Mings - Stones - Walker setup in that case. 

Assuming of course that Southgate was planning on a 433 prior to Maguire's injury.

Edited by craigcwwe

34 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Can Mount play in the middle 2 of 343? Coz if so that's the only way I can get excited for 343.

He could but he'd be wasted as most of his best work is done going forward (factoring in pressing etc), we've tended to look much, much better with him playing as one of the 10s than him playing deep in the 2. Would have him as the 10, or the left of a midfield 3.

Shaw in a back 4, Chilwell in a back 3 for me.

14 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Saints didn't do very well from around November time. 

How come you are getting so invested in who we play at RB then? I mean you aren't English and don't watch the games outside of the tournaments. Surely you'd just prefer if Trent stayed at home for selfish Liverpool reasons? 

I posted in here recently about this, I wonder if Maguire isn't fit for the tournament we just go three at the back? I don't like the CB options besides Maguire and Stones personally. I could see a Mings - Stones - Walker setup in that case. 

Assuming of course that Southgate was planning on a 433 prior to Maguire's injury.

I just find how he's judged to be laughably wrong. R.e. better for Liverpool - definitely fitness wise, who knows about mentally - could be better or worse depending on his reaction.