The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Its probably the players themselves letting them know they're in, rather than having a full list tbf 

Yeah I got that just think there is a better way to do it but hey ho.

Always been a mess since social media came along. Manager wants to ring round all the players and tell them personally before the squad announcement. So then players have a few hours where they start telling their families and agents and journo friends whether they’re going so by the time the squad is official everyone has already worked it out.

1 minute ago, brez22 said:

Don't want to rile you up but personally the only one of the attackers in front of him i'd consider a swap with would be Watkins and even then im finding it hard.

Only Kane has scored more goals than him, he's got plenty of assists, I can still understand not making the final 26, but a 33 man squad is absolutely ridiculous, especially naming a 4th keeper when it's obvious Ramsdale is getting cut from the squad so there's literally no point. At least if he picked Bamford he could have a closer look before making the decision.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

So why were people saying TAA was getting dropped. I assume it was because he hadn't been called by Southgate as of Monday but if Southgate was changing to this giant squad maybe he didn't call anyone until today? 

Was speculated he wasn’t in original 23/26, then Southgate later said he was going to do a larger squad because of Cup finals. So a lot of these are fillers.

Probably Ramsdale, TAA, Godfrey, White, JWP and two from Lingard/Saka/Greenwood IMO.

3 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Ollie is better :cool: 

I don't think he is, but that's a 50/50 for the final squad. I could understand either way - however not naming him in a 33 man squad makes absolutely no sense to me

This large squad has no surprises for me, outside no Dier which I’m glad to see.

3rd striker was a toss up between Ings/Watkins/Tammy/Bamford/Wilson.All shrug of shoulders who would have got in as none of them will feature as Kane/DCL ahead. So Watkins just got it based on being in recent squad. Tammy must be fuming, Tuchel has killed his chance. 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I don't think he is, but that's a 50/50 for the final squad. I could understand either way - however not naming him in a 33 man squad makes absolutely no sense to me

Tbf Watkins won't go to the Euro's and is likely only in because he was in the last squad and has carried on doing well, Southgate worked with him recently and knows him (a little). It's really not that big a shock Bamford isn't there right now. 

Think Saka is definitely getting cut. Yes he's quality and he's versatile, but in a 26 man squad, he'd be redundant. He won't start at LB before Shaw/Chilwell, nor on the wings over the other options. He'd be a certainty in a 23 though.

Think Southgate will cut:

Ramsdale, Godfrey, Lingard, Watkins and Saka.

As for the RB situation, I think Walker is going and I think he'll take 3 RBs. With Maguire being a doubt for the tournament I can see him playing a back 3/5 and using Walker as a third centre half. 

In that scenario I think Trippier goes and you cut one of James/Trent and I think James gets cut in that case.

Edited by craigcwwe

14 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Defence is rubbish. Southgate just such a joke. No Maddison, Lingard back etc. 

Maddison doesn't deserve to be in the squad. 

Wasn't a Southgate favourite at the best of times, and he's added a Covid Breach, nagging injury and dreadful form since his return as further reasons not to pick him.

He's a long way behind Mount, Grealish and Foden who would be his competition really.

Edited by martynlcfc

1 hour ago, pearcey_90 said:

This large squad has no surprises for me, outside no Dier which I’m glad to see.

3rd striker was a toss up between Ings/Watkins/Tammy/Bamford/Wilson.All shrug of shoulders who would have got in as none of them will feature as Kane/DCL ahead. So Watkins just got it based on being in recent squad. Tammy must be fuming, Tuchel has killed his chance. 

Tammy isn't near England level

Saka should absolutely be in the squad, he is someone who can come on at left back and bring something different than Shaw/Chilwell 

Too many people just want to take similar players who don't make any difference to a game 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

They’re all so young :D 

FFS, started calling up players that were born while Sven was in charge.

Foden just done a interview saying he grew up watching Pep's Messi side :D 

Bellingham was 14 at the last World Cup...

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

STOP IT :mad:

I remember when Joe Cole was first picked it felt like a watershed moment, he was the first player for England that was younger than me. Up until then I thought I still had a chance :D 

They could call up Scott Carson and he'd still be a few years younger than me :( 

9 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Saka should absolutely be in the squad, he is someone who can come on at left back and bring something different than Shaw/Chilwell

Who would you drop to take a third left back?

12 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Saka feels to me like the type of player who actually has LESS chance of making the squad with 26 places instead of 23. His versatility less important now

Yeah it’s weird how a bigger squad probably hurts a few players’ chances instead of improving them.

17 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Who would you drop to take a third left back?

From that 33, i'm dropping

• 1 x Goalkeeper (I actually have no idea who we've been using other than Pickford)
  • James
  • Godfrey/White (no idea whos better out the 2)
  • Lingard
  • Phillips 
  • Watkins
  • Greenwood

I'm almost tempted to put Sterling on there instead of Greenwood, but in reality its between Greenwood and Grealish for me 

sorry to say, Watkins just isn't playing under any circumstance. Even if Kane and DCL get injured, Rashford is playing as striker 

For me its between Phillips and JWP, and JWP brings something different from set pieces who i'd be bringing on as a sub with 10 minutes to go if we need a goal. The emergence of Bellingham has made Rice & Phillips pointless 

Watkins will get cut, no doubt about it and I don't disagree with it either. Grealish should not be on the verge with Greenwood though, he should be a cert.

The emergence of Bellingham certainly doesn't render Rice and Phillips pointless. The latter two are completely different to Bellingham, and if Bellingham is ever starting (doubt Southgate will have the balls to) it should and will be with one of the two.

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

From that 33, i'm dropping

• 1 x Goalkeeper (I actually have no idea who we've been using other than Pickford)
  • James
  • Godfrey/White (no idea whos better out the 2)
  • Lingard
  • Phillips 
  • Watkins
  • Greenwood

I'm almost tempted to put Sterling on there instead of Greenwood, but in reality its between Greenwood and Grealish for me 

sorry to say, Watkins just isn't playing under any circumstance. Even if Kane and DCL get injured, Rashford is playing as striker 

For me its between Phillips and JWP, and JWP brings something different from set pieces who i'd be bringing on as a sub with 10 minutes to go if we need a goal. The emergence of Bellingham has made Rice & Phillips pointless 

No it hasn't :D as pointed out, Rice and Phillips are DMs, Henderson and Bellingham box to box. If you drop Phillips, you're a Rice injury away from being massively weak at DM (which may happen with Phillips being injured anyway tbf but still) 

5 minutes ago, Pukey said:

No it hasn't :D as pointed out, Rice and Phillips are DMs, Henderson and Bellingham box to box. If you drop Phillips, you're a Rice injury away from being massively weak at DM (which may happen with Phillips being injured anyway tbf but still) 

Bellingham can play that DM role if needed, Henderson also, even JWP. Its such a rigid outlook to just simply say oh these players can't play these other roles if they're needed to :D

Look at the France squad, they're taking 5 CMs total, and we're talking about taking about 8 or 9 players who can play there :D 

JWP would probably be my first cut (after Ramsdale) from that list. I can't see how he gets on the pitch, and even if he does, his greatest asset is largely wasted in a squad with numerous options on set pieces. Phillips is either in the XI or one of the first names on the bench out of necessity. 

7 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Bellingham can play that DM role if needed, Henderson also, even JWP. Its such a rigid outlook to just simply say oh these players can't play these other roles if they're needed to :D

Look at the France squad, they're taking 5 CMs total, and we're talking about taking about 8 or 9 players who can play there :D 

But Rice and Phillips are great deep lying playmakers, why wouldn't we want to utilise them.