Brexit and FM17

1 minute ago, beldurax said:

My apologies if this has already been asked, but can the entire Brexit simulation portion of the code be toggled on or off i.e. like an option, come the final release on 4 November ?  Is it even possible to change it in the code to turn the Brexit simulation into purely an option for the player ?  Would like to hear from dev on this ...

Thanks.

Miles Jacobson did already answer this. There will be no change and no option to toggle the Brexit part off.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't remember this much moaning about the 2022 WC always being moved from Qatar in last years game...

In fairness - that has much less potential outcome to change the enjoyment of your save, after you've dedicated a huge amount of time to it, than this does.

Not really comparable imho.

46 minutes ago, Matt ex SEGA said:

In fairness - that has much less potential outcome to change the enjoyment of your save, after you've dedicated a huge amount of time to it, than this does.

Not really comparable imho.

Plus, it's pretty much unanimous that the World Cup shouldn't be in Qatar anyway, especially if it's moving to Winter. 

Leaving the EU, well, still pretty contentious. 

What an utterly ****** addition.

Add the changes to work permits and whatever else in future games when it's been decided in real life.

To add in various Brexit outcomes is ridiculous. This a football simulation not a political simulation.

53 minutes ago, iMan said:

What an utterly ****** addition.

Add the changes to work permits and whatever else in future games when it's been decided in real life.

To add in various Brexit outcomes is ridiculous. This a football simulation not a political simulation.

Then you should encourage the realism right? Brexit is likely to happen and so they added it in the game. 

eh? English players in real life are not very good. That comment referred to regens - I should have made that clear.

Similarly, perhaps you should have actually addressed what exactly I've stated as fact, rather than a meaningless post. Allow me to clarify....

Due to the success of the Premier League and the ever decreasing pool of UK/English players, it has been to the detriment of the National Team of England. This is fact.

If we had a league where English players were given priority again, then it would result in more being given a chance. Some would fail and some would succeed. These players I refer to are probably only 8 years old or whatever at the moment but if given the chance, if given game time. Then it will be for the good of the game.

11 minutes ago, !Steve1977 said:

While we're on this subject, have SI implemented any future scenarios if Donald Trump gets elected?

Yeah, your game gets uninstalled and Fallout 4 gets installed in its place.

28 minutes ago, !Steve1977 said:

Does anyone else detect a hint of sour grapes from SI at the way the vote went, hence them putting it in the game even though it won't happen for 2.5 years.

Not really, but again I don't have problems with them including Brexit in the game. Yes it wont happen for the next 2.5 years but it doesn't happen right away in the game too and when it does happen in the game there are multiple possible outcomes.

It's like saying you have a problem with the injury prone attribute, you never know if the player will get injured in the future..

I assume Irish players do not require work permits to play in England in the Brexit scenarios. Ireland and the UK share a Common Travel Area which predates the EU. Hopefully this is reflected in the game otherwise managing the Irish national team in some scenarios could be a disaster.

4 hours ago, holidaysong said:

I assume Irish players do not require work permits to play in England in the Brexit scenarios. Ireland and the UK share a Common Travel Area which predates the EU. Hopefully this is reflected in the game otherwise managing the Irish national team in some scenarios could be a disaster.

That's one of the many unknowns at the moment. A Hard Brexit could screw with that to prevent other Europeans gaining Irish citizenship.

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Interesting. I'd like to ask if anyone's played or holidayed far enough in a beta save to be able to comment on what happens.

I have.  In one instance, it occurred right at 2 years.  However, I did not see any news or social media on the topic, which may be because I was unemployed (or it might have just gotten buried under all the World Cup stuff).

1 minute ago, Warhawk said:

I have.  In one instance, it occurred right at 2 years.  However, I did not see any news or social media on the topic, which may be because I was unemployed (or it might have just gotten buried under all the World Cup stuff).

Typical of the government to bury the bad news under distractions :lol:

2 hours ago, Warhawk said:

Check the teams if any changes were made. If you see all the foreign players transferlisted, you know enough...

3 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Check the teams if any changes were made. If you see all the foreign players transferlisted, you know enough...

I knew because the nation page no longer had "European Union" on it.  But I couldn't figure out what the specific were; might just have not been looking at the right page I guess.

I actually did keep simming for 6 or 7 years after that and there seemed to be a lot of foreign players still in the Premier League, so it at least wasn't one of the limited international players scenarios, but I didn't look down far enough to be able to get an idea of whether it was a soft Brexit or if they were just guys who got permits.

4 hours ago, JWVG said:

Don't care about Brexit at all, but the randomness is bad. Very weird dicision from SI. :idiot:

I think that the Brexit idea is great, but you should be able to pick your flavor.

Having OCD symptoms as I'm getting scared to start my usual VLLM save. The biggest problem is that this could really ruin your save and that by the time you reach the ingame Brexit decision the real Brexit scenario could be totally different.

The politician on BBC2 dismissing the worst case scenarios as total fantasy didn't really help tbh.

Couldn't they have spent time getting the Halfback and inverted wingback roles to work properly instead of drawing up fantasy scenarios of how a very complex brexit will affect English football?

Why not have a few Donald Trump scenarios while you are it? If you are mangeing an MLS team and he gets elected any Mexican players you have suddenly get deported from America? 

4 hours ago, iMan said:

Couldn't they have spent time getting the Halfback and inverted wingback roles to work properly instead of drawing up fantasy scenarios of how a very complex brexit will affect English football?

SI have different teams, so the ones working on the ME are not the same people working on other areas, such as implementing Brexit scenarios.

On 22/10/2016 at 02:45, samrnpage said:

Anyone had a brexit yet? 

Only had a message that Great Britain would be leaving the European Union, but with no changes to the work permit system and no restrictions on EU players, so more or less a cosmetic Brexit.

8 minutes ago, kensteidel said:

Only had a message that Great Britain would be leaving the European Union, but with no changes to the work permit system and no restrictions on EU players, so more or less a cosmetic Brexit.

If only the whole world were football. Still, would be the best outcome if we all got that (in the game...)

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

If only the whole world were football. Still, would be the best outcome if we all got that (in the game...)

I was actually hoping for a "hard Brexit" to give myself an interesting challenge. Hopefully this will happen when i play my next save. 

Ran some tests in FM15 for fun where from 1-7-2018 all EU players would not be handled as EU players anymore. Worked like a charm. It means a lot more players subject to work permits discussions, 

You just don't get the announcement that the UK has left the EU, as that can't be done in FM15.

So the Brexit changes are backwards compatible as well ;)

I would have liked the option to choose how Brexit would affect the game. I love the idea of hard Brexit with Scotland leaving the UK and a player quota for non-UK players. I would be annoyed if I got soft Brexit and it didn't change anything.

10 minutes ago, Petros7 said:

If I can't choose how Brexit is implemented in the game will I be able to reload until I get my desired version?

No, as this is decided when you start a new save.

I bet the Brexit scenario and date are randomly picked when creating new save, thus reloading at any point won't change the outcome. I've started a save game with Oxford, already in Premiership with UK players and staff only. I pray for Hard Brexit. I think it will make my save very enjoyable.

It's starting to look like there were lots of people moaning about foreigners coming here and working without realising that might have included some of their favourite footballers. FM is merely trying to work with what may well happen for real in 2 years' time. For that, they should be applauded. 

I tried it in my last FM 2016 and took the UK out of the EU using an editor. By 2025 there weren't many overseas players left in the Premiership and its reputation had suffered as a result. And the English national team was still awful. 

5 hours ago, Haiku said:

I bet the Brexit scenario and date are randomly picked when creating new save, thus reloading at any point won't change the outcome. I've started a save game with Oxford, already in Premiership with UK players and staff only. I pray for Hard Brexit. I think it will make my save very enjoyable.

At the very least the date is not picked at the start.  I did a test and had a Brexit occur at 2 years, reloaded a save I made at 1 year, and Brexit did not occur again at 2 yeas.

On 10/25/2016 at 03:41, kensteidel said:

I was actually hoping for a "hard Brexit" to give myself an interesting challenge. Hopefully this will happen when i play my next save. 

Personally I've been hoping for both, I'm afraid I'm just gonna get the same one every time.

So in regards to Brexit,

i saw that they were looking at making Work Permits easier for the Commonwealth countries.

Yes its all speculation, but then so is the outcome of Brexit.

Be great see Canada, Australia and New Zealanders get easier work permits in the game.

Would have been great to see that in the Game.

I am glad to see this is in the game, but at the same time, maybe it is a year too early to include it.  Either way, I have been close to making topics in years past asking about why nations only ever join the EU, but never leave the EU in the game (at least, I have never seen one leave as of FM'15 and prior).  My question on this is whether or not the game will potentially forecast a total disintegration of the EU over a 30 year time frame.  If the English do leave, especially with a "hard Brexit," the future of the block is definitely in question. 

My second question, and I hope this is not considered political because I am taking no side.  I just want to be educated on this since I am an American.  While I feel I have a better handle on the EU than most Americans, I know I definitely am not "well-educated" on it either.  There is a lot of talk on Scotland in this game.  In real life, many believe Scotland will indeed seek an independence referendum to try and remain with the European Union.  My question is simple.  Since Scotland, from what I understand, receives more fund than it contributes, what incentive would the European Union have to either keep Scotland in the block or allow them to enter later?  The EU does have a history of doing this with Eastern European nations, but Britain is one of the largest contributors (again, from my understanding, so please correct me if I am wrong) of capital to the block.  Thus with losing a major financial contributor, what incentive is there to add a nation that would take more capital than it contributes?

On 10/29/2016 at 18:57, KUBI said:

No, as this is decided when you start a new save.

Does that mean the bug where you could get a soft Brexit, but it would still require work permits is also locked in?  I wanted to play out my current save a bit longer, but if that's the case, I'll just start over when the full release update hits.

39 minutes ago, ScotchWhisky said:

I am glad to see this is in the game, but at the same time, maybe it is a year too early to include it.  Either way, I have been close to making topics in years past asking about why nations only ever join the EU, but never leave the EU in the game (at least, I have never seen one leave as of FM'15 and prior).  My question on this is whether or not the game will potentially forecast a total disintegration of the EU over a 30 year time frame.  If the English do leave, especially with a "hard Brexit," the future of the block is definitely in question. 

My second question, and I hope this is not considered political because I am taking no side.  I just want to be educated on this since I am an American.  While I feel I have a better handle on the EU than most Americans, I know I definitely am not "well-educated" on it either.  There is a lot of talk on Scotland in this game.  In real life, many believe Scotland will indeed seek an independence referendum to try and remain with the European Union.  My question is simple.  Since Scotland, from what I understand, receives more fund than it contributes, what incentive would the European Union have to either keep Scotland in the block or allow them to enter later?  The EU does have a history of doing this with Eastern European nations, but Britain is one of the largest contributors (again, from my understanding, so please correct me if I am wrong) of capital to the block.  Thus with losing a major financial contributor, what incentive is there to add a nation that would take more capital than it contributes?

Probably best to take that type of question into the Off Topic forum.  This thread is about Brexit being in FM17, whereas your question goes beyond the bounds of FM and strays into the murky waters of EU political shenanigans.

25 minutes ago, ScotchWhisky said:

What does this matter?  When has a FM game ever mattered in regards to whom gets elected to political office, especially America? 

lets just take a step back and think about what you are asking here.

Donald trump is a massive Soccer fan, having  him leading America, building his wall etc etc etc, may or may not impact on Soccer/football in America, possibly even world wide, any attempt to simulate the impact of such a vote would be unrealistic, would it not?

Brexit whilst confirmed, may or may not impact on football in Britain/Europe, possibly even world wide, any attempt to simulate the unknown impact of Brexit would be unrealistic, would it not?

This is inclusive of all possible outcomes.

6 hours ago, callamity said:

lets just take a step back and think about what you are asking here.

Donald trump is a massive Soccer fan, having  him leading America, building his wall etc etc etc, may or may not impact on Soccer/football in America, possibly even world wide, any attempt to simulate the impact of such a vote would be unrealistic, would it not?

Brexit whilst confirmed, may or may not impact on football in Britain/Europe, possibly even world wide, any attempt to simulate the unknown impact of Brexit would be unrealistic, would it not?

This is inclusive of all possible outcomes.

Fair point, but I see Trump being elected as having zero impact on soccer worldwide while the Brexit may or may not (as you said) have an impact. 

6 hours ago, herne79 said:

Probably best to take that type of question into the Off Topic forum.  This thread is about Brexit being in FM17, whereas your question goes beyond the bounds of FM and strays into the murky waters of EU political shenanigans.

Fair enough.  I will probably just avoid it altogether then.  Don't feel like getting into a political debate as I like not being banned (you never know what direction they take).

Archived