Football Manager 2017 Release Date and Pre Purchase Details Announced

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eriktous said:

If the value of the pound goes down, I will get more pounds for my euro, right, or the other way around, a pound will cost me less euros, making it cheaper to buy from the UK?

Example:

Pre-Brexit: £1 = €1.20.  Therefore FM at UK RRP of £40 would be €48

Post-Brexit: £1 = €1.10.  Therefore FM at UK RRP of £40 would be €44.

That's a beer right there :cool:

Got my 20 % discount. Now hoping for a Friday Beta release as I'm an annual leave next week! Though really I know those chances are small. I always look forward to the new release, not expecting any revolutionary changes but the fact that SI are being a bit tight lipped they might have a surprise in store.

So, exacty what i thought :

New "features" actually are : "X feature" that already existed in game, that will pop-up in your inbox:

- Financial reports from chairman

Something we could do since FM... 05 ? Check finances... monthly status....

- You can now see strengths and weaknesses for your team as a whole.

Already existed in one form or another via analysis tool (Prozone).

- Fitness tests with recommendation

Guess what ? Already had "Give injection" = risk of further injuries. Now the same feature, called as a "brand new feature".

- Easier to monitor home-grown players - something already in-game, now probably gives us some new informations. Not something revamped or rehauled.

There's nothing to monitor, if you don't improve the regens. How about "Improved regens" as new feature ? You know ? I'm tired of seeing 190 PA defenders with 8 marking and positioning, and strikers with 180 PA, and 7 finishing. One of the things that totally breaks the immersion after 20+ years in-game.

- You'll be notified for your soon to be retired players on the progress of their coaching courses

Yet another news category to unsubscribe from. Wow, what a feature....

- You will now receive actionable help from your scout(s) related to transfer and contract decisions you need to make.

Again, a feature already in-game (scout reports for transfer), now you'll just get it in the transfer window, probably....

And i can continue like this for every feature they've already announced...

Where's the improvement of this game ? Where's the evolution ? This is what you call evolution ? Programmed phrases appearing more often and more windows opening ? 

Where's the "improved AI announcement ?

Where's the "improved financial side" of the game, where every top team has 1+bn in bank after 10 years ? 

And i don't even want to mention the ME. Yes, i know, the me is a work in progress always...  but, my problem is that actually only the news items are a work in progress @ SI studios since the revamped FM13 ME....

They still have time for announcements before the Beta.

But for me it doesn't matter. Year after year I get 100's (sometimes 1000's) of hours of entertainment for, in the grand scheme of things, not a lot of cash.

"I've been doing it twenty years"

36 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

So, exacty what i thought :

New "features" actually are : "X feature" that already existed in game, that will pop-up in your inbox:

- Financial reports from chairman

Something we could do since FM... 05 ? Check finances... monthly status....

- You can now see strengths and weaknesses for your team as a whole.

Already existed in one form or another via analysis tool (Prozone).

- Fitness tests with recommendation

Guess what ? Already had "Give injection" = risk of further injuries. Now the same feature, called as a "brand new feature".

- Easier to monitor home-grown players - something already in-game, now probably gives us some new informations. Not something revamped or rehauled.

There's nothing to monitor, if you don't improve the regens. How about "Improved regens" as new feature ? You know ? I'm tired of seeing 190 PA defenders with 8 marking and positioning, and strikers with 180 PA, and 7 finishing. One of the things that totally breaks the immersion after 20+ years in-game.

- You'll be notified for your soon to be retired players on the progress of their coaching courses

Yet another news category to unsubscribe from. Wow, what a feature....

- You will now receive actionable help from your scout(s) related to transfer and contract decisions you need to make.

Again, a feature already in-game (scout reports for transfer), now you'll just get it in the transfer window, probably....

And i can continue like this for every feature they've already announced...

Where's the improvement of this game ? Where's the evolution ? This is what you call evolution ? Programmed phrases appearing more often and more windows opening ? 

Where's the "improved AI announcement ?

Where's the "improved financial side" of the game, where every top team has 1+bn in bank after 10 years ? 

And i don't even want to mention the ME. Yes, i know, the me is a work in progress always...  but, my problem is that actually only the news items are a work in progress @ SI studios since the revamped FM13 ME....

Have you seen the 32 minute reveal of FM17?

Have you played FM17 in any way, shape or form?

If the answer is no, then you have no idea if it's "exactly as you thought"

Spoiler: it won't be.

Stuff like this is both inaccurate and unconstructive, this isnt a moan thread, so keep it constructive or refrain from posting, thanks.

1 minute ago, Lord Rowell said:

Just a thought.

Civilization VI is out next week IIRC on the 17th. I suspect a lot of FM players also play Civ. So will SI's timings be influenced by that? Might be the "big release" of info this week before Civ VI hogs publicity.

All SI gonna play Civ VI. FM delay confirmed. :brock:

1 minute ago, Lord Rowell said:

Just a thought.

Civilization VI is out next week IIRC on the 17th. I suspect a lot of FM players also play Civ. So will SI's timings be influenced by that? Might be the "big release" of info this week before Civ VI hogs publicity.

I think at this point of the year it wouldnt matter too much, FM will be competing against various big names anyway.

What will matter now is that the big reveal hits the notes as right as possible. When people want different things, including things some people dont want, that's no easy sell.

4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think at this point of the year it wouldnt matter too much, FM will be competing against various big names anyway.

What will matter now is that the big reveal hits the notes as right as possible. When people want different things, including things some people dont want, that's no easy sell.

I completely agree with you re. hitting the notes as right as possible and that's sort of what I mean here. As well as hitting the right notes, to use the same analogy, the music has to be heard as well, which is why I think it'll happen this week.

FM17 release, 2 weeks after Civ VI, I suspect is deliberately timed as well.

Games releases are very much like DVD and music releases. Some competitors will have agreements to not push out a big release in the same week as another. Think of it as a bit like a Tesco and Sainsbury's, they want to sink each others' business but never have the nerve to open stores next to one another.

2 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

I completely agree with you re. hitting the notes as right as possible and that's sort of what I mean here. As well as hitting the right notes, to use the same analogy, the music has to be heard as well, which is why I think it'll happen this week.

FM17 release, 2 weeks after Civ VI, I suspect is deliberately timed as well.

Could well be.

Could also be timed to run into Christmas.

Lots of factors at play, and i suspect we will never know for sure.

On 09/10/2016 at 12:56, Cougar2010 said:

Sorry but thats not the way it works either in FM or RL.

If you want £9m for him you should be setting his asking price higher.  No-one in their right mind offers the asking price straight up, especially for a transfer listed player.

Whether you like it or not its unlikely to change as the basics have a foundation IRL.

In terms of coming back with the same offer as I said in my post SI were looking to reduce the occasions this happens but it was more for three or more times, twice is probably acceptable. 

Why not use "Reject all offers below value"?

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

Would be nice if the beta was released 3 weeks before release this time. That would mean more time to find and fix any major bugs.

Hope so, I think the most comprehensive test is done during Beta. :thup:

1 minute ago, hendredenny said:

I'm never convinced that beta is issued primarily for debugging purposes. More like marketing strategy methinks.

The public beta is essentially mass stress testing. Looking for things that might only come up with thousands playing, sheer number of eyes and hours etc. Something that cant be replicated by an internal team

1 hour ago, Spedding said:

well miles replied to someone asking yesterday and its not official,   middle of the month is October 15.5. Which is Saturday afternoon. So if all goes to plan, expect it then :)

Fingers crossed, I've got this weekend free.

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

There'll be murder if it's released after the cut off for the discount :D (even though it's been repeatedly stated the discount is a loyalty bonus).

The loyalty bonus expires in 3 days, but there are other ways to get it at a reduced price :)

Here are some examples:

https://gocland.com/eu/game/football-manager-2017-pre-order

(€31,19 is the cheapest one now)

1 hour ago, Spedding said:

well miles replied to someone asking yesterday and its not official,   middle of the month is October 15.5. Which is Saturday afternoon. So if all goes to plan, expect it then :)

The discount ends on October 14th. So those expecting to pre-order after seeing the features will not use the promotion. :(

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

There'll be murder if it's released after the cut off for the discount :D (even though it's been repeatedly stated the discount is a loyalty bonus).

I'm guessing that could happen... But then there will be a proper discussion of the new features, which will be far more interesting.

3 minutes ago, grade said:

The discount ends on October 14th. So those expecting to pre-order after seeing the features will not use the promotion. :(

I'm guessing that could happen... But then there will be a proper discussion of the new features, which will be far more interesting.

It will happen.  It's a loyalty discount offered for people who don't want to wait for the announcement of new features.  That would be loyal.  Hence, loyalty.  

12 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It will happen.  It's a loyalty discount offered for people who don't want to wait for the announcement of new features.  That would be loyal.  Hence, loyalty.  

It also sounds as if they've went out of their way to reward people for buying before they know exactly what will they be buying, on purpose. That is weird and shady. It's almost as if they're either hiding something, or trying to bait people as much as they can - first bait people with a discount, then bait people with the features. Okay that's marketing, they're in the business of making money and optimizing sales, but it doesn't sound entirely nice and fair.

Don't get me wrong we all have a pretty good idea of how FM17 should be like in general, and SI aren't obliged to offer any discount at all. It's still not the nicest way to do it. It's treating customers with a hint of entitlement ("buy our product because you know everything we do will be good by default"), which I think many of us don't appreciate.

Personally it doesn't make me any difference, it's cheaper for me to buy it from a 3rd party retailer than from Steam even with all the discounts, and I wasn't keen on buying it anytime soon anyway, unless I cave in to impulse shopping (it has happened in the past!). But I certainly understand why people think this is a bit of a PR disaster by SI and feel misled.

2 minutes ago, noikeee said:

It also sounds as if they've went out of their way to reward people for buying before they know exactly what will they be buying, on purpose. That is weird and shady. It's almost as if they're either hiding something, or trying to bait people as much as they can - first bait people with a discount, then bait people with the features. Okay that's marketing, they're in the business of making money and optimizing sales, but it doesn't sound entirely nice and fair.

Don't get me wrong we all have a pretty good idea of how FM17 should be like in general, and SI aren't obliged to offer any discount at all. It's still not the nicest way to do it. It's treating customers with a hint of entitlement ("buy our product because you know everything we do will be good by default"), which I think many of us don't appreciate.

Personally it doesn't make me any difference, it's cheaper for me to buy it from a 3rd party retailer than from Steam even with all the discounts, and I wasn't keen on buying it anytime soon anyway, unless I cave in to impulse shopping (it has happened in the past!). But I certainly understand why people think this is a bit of a PR disaster by SI and feel misled.

Oh come on...

Can you really not see why they'd want to reward loyalty of previous purchasers, while at the same time not compromising the majority of their sales?  There's no conspiracy there, no matter how much people seem to want one.  Baiting people with features? :lol: Jesus...

7 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Oh come on...

Can you really not see why they'd want to reward loyalty of previous purchasers, while at the same time not compromising the majority of their sales?  There's no conspiracy there, no matter how much people seem to want one.  Baiting people with features? :lol: Jesus...

I don't think there's a conspiracy, I don't think they're hiding anything, I just think this is a poor way of doing things that gives people that impression.

Yes, baiting with features, this is what every game does, when you show off a trailer of the game or a feature list or whatever, people will feel an impulse to buy it. That's all I meant by it, I take it you took another meaning from it? If you have a discount that expires, and then you announce the game, people will be given an urge to buy it twice - first to take an advantage of the discount, and second when the features are out. I think this is what they're attempting to do - maximise those impulse shopping urges.

6 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I don't think there's a conspiracy, I don't think they're hiding anything, I just think this is a poor way of doing things that gives people that impression.

Yes, baiting with features, this is what every game does, when you show off a trailer of the game or a feature list or whatever, people will feel an impulse to buy it. That's all I meant by it, I take it you took another meaning from it? If you have a discount that expires, and then you announce the game, people will be given an urge to buy it twice - first to take an advantage of the discount, and second when the features are out. I think this is what they're attempting to do - maximise those impulse shopping urges.

Then I misread it slightly, apologies.  But "baiting" is a pretty charged word to use.  

I'd say the loyalty bonus is bait, if we really must use the word, and there's nothing wrong with that.  They're not ready to show off features yet, so here's an option to take advantage of an offer if you don't particularly care about that.  Releasing the features is just normal fare, so saying it's "bait" doesn't seem right to me.  Doing something like saying "if we get x number of pre-orders, we'll give you x number of features".  That would be bait.

I actually understand the late information about features.  2016 was the year of No Man's Sky.  I can understand completely why they'd wait to announce features until they were absolutely certain those features would be correctly implemented in the game.

All i have to say is...dynamic rivalries, do you remember that one from last year lol, Abtwat i thought of a feature that i would like to see but as i am late to the party as always ill just ask if this is possible in the future. While you select what kind of manager you want to be you should also select what kind of rotation you prefer (of course it depends on what team you manage so even if you believe in rotation its simply not possible with lower League teams). Take Barcelona as an example Lucho rotate heavily (and irrational) last year and is doing it even more this year (except top 3 so much) and even a guy that Alba buys into it. If you have some way to avoid the stupid one on one dialogue with the players in FM through a dioalogue box in the beginning of your managerial career , something like " ok, listen up fellas , this year i im going to rotate on every position as i dont wanna see the team worn down the second part of the season. That means that all of you are going to play fewer minutes this year but hopefully the team will succeed."  Depending the success of the season your reputation as a guy that rotates alot and get results will grow making it easier with future teams. Could is be possible? i mainly want this as the player interaction is so lacking in FM that it kills the game when players asking for transfers left and right, that doesnt happen nearly as often in real Life. so shoot me down and sorry for the really bad English.

2 hours ago, suncrush said:

I actually understand the late information about features.  2016 was the year of No Man's Sky.  I can understand completely why they'd wait to announce features until they were absolutely certain those features would be correctly implemented in the game.

They have known what is in the final game for a while now. It would have already gone gold I assume. Why they are holding off on showing the game I have no idea but I hope it's not for the reasons some have implied ie they're less confident of creating a buzz with a lackluster feature set so are taking in as many blind preorders as possible. Could be that, could be something entirely more innocuous. We will find out soon enough. 

2 hours ago, suncrush said:

With less than one month to the release date, what do we know...

- There will be one new staff role (Data Analyst)

- 999 new features (+ the Data Analyst)

- 20.000 New Media Itens

- 1.500 New Animations

So lets take out from the equation the Media itens and the animations. They are important of course, but for me they go into the "cosmetic" category of the game.

999 new features... Could it be that they are all related with the ME? And because of that we don't have more announcements like in previous years?

I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing, in fact i wouldn't mind having FM17 like a transition version of the game only to give a solid improvement to the ME.

The thing is, untill now SI only show us two videos of the game, and in both the core subject was the ME and the 3D animations. So, unless they are holding the information as much as they can (something that i think don't make much sence at this stage), i'm starting to believe that the +1000 new features will be manly around the improvements of the ME and not adding new stuff to the game.

Honestly, at this moment I feel like im the only guy that doesnt feel the 'me' is broken as much as people claim it to be. It might need work, but 90% of it is working fine for years or am I wrong? 

Whats a MAJOR thing wrong with the ME compared to real life? Any numbers or stats or proof on this subject? Im getting the feeling it might be some confirmation bias left and right. 

4 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Honestly, at this moment I feel like im the only guy that doesnt feel the 'me' is broken as much as people claim it to be. It might need work, but 90% of it is working fine for years or am I wrong? 

Whats a MAJOR thing wrong with the ME compared to real life? Any numbers or stats or proof on this subject? Im getting the feeling it might be some confirmation bias left and right. 

You're not wrong ;).

34 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Well goalkeepers can't be sent off for starters. A fairly big omission although I understand the complexity with the collision system required. 

Finishing is another, a mixture of missing animations (rounding the keeper, dinks over the keeper) and one on ones don't appear to be as effective as other types of finishing. 

And then there's the much discussed 'too many goals from crosses' issues and overpowered wing play that was a bit of a regressive step from past match engines that didn't appear to have the issue. 

The ME is far from '90%' realistic - there is plenty for SI to work on - but I'm not having a go as I understand it's iterative and will never be perfect. I just hope the ME improvements are a priority as it's the bedrock of the game for me. Every decision made goes back to the ME and how players will perform/not perform. 

3 minutes ago, DP said:

Well goalkeepers can't be sent off for starters. A fairly big omission although I understand the complexity with the collision system required. 

Finishing is another, a mixture of missing animations (rounding the keeper, dinks over the keeper) and one on ones don't appear to be as effective as other types of finishing. 

And then there's the much discussed 'too many goals from crosses' issues and overpowered wing play that was a bit of a regressive step from past match engines that didn't appear to have the issue. 

The ME is far from '90%' realistic - there is plenty for SI to work on - but I'm not having a go as I understand it's iterative and will never be perfect. I just hope the ME improvements are a priority as it's the bedrock of the game for me. Every decision made goes back to the ME and how players will perform/not perform. 

I can agree with the GK thing, but if I am correct, the missing animations has nothing to do with the match engine, but more of the limitations of how the 3D shows it in the game and how it shows how goals are scored.

As said again, would like you to back it up with proof if you claim 'too many goals from crosses'. A nice comparision from in game with a real life counterpart with almost the same scenario will do. Im willing to believe, but I want proof before I do. Havent noticed major issues with these things imo. 

Yes animations need work too as they represent the engine. Without them we don't know how goals have been scored. The gk send off is an ME issue. 

As is the crossing. There have been plenty of threads on it and lots of stats that show too many crosses, narrow defence, over powered full backs on attacking mentality and an imbalance that leads to slightly too many goals being conceded on crosses. Especially at the back post/volley. It's not just a tactical issue as you have to play a certain way to attempt to stop it which has its own repercussions and also in the AI v AI it's apparent too. It was acknowledged by SI on a few occasions that it needs more work and it's certainly different from FM15. 

Surprised you haven't noticed it? 

9 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

I can agree with the GK thing, but if I am correct, the missing animations has nothing to do with the match engine, but more of the limitations of how the 3D shows it in the game and how it shows how goals are scored.

As said again, would like you to back it up with proof if you claim 'too many goals from crosses'. A nice comparision from in game with a real life counterpart with almost the same scenario will do. Im willing to believe, but I want proof before I do. Havent noticed major issues with these things imo. 

Just now, DP said:

Yes animations need work too as they represent the engine. Without them we don't know how goals have been scored. The gk send off is an ME issue. 

As is the crossing. There have been plenty of threads on it and lots of stats that show too many crosses, narrow defence, over powered full backs on attacking mentality and an imbalance that leads to slightly too many goals being conceded on crosses. Especially at the back post/volley. It's not just a tactical issue as you have to play a certain way to attempt to stop it which has its own repercussions and also in the AI v AI it's apparent too. It was acknowledged by SI on a few occasions that it needs more work and it's certainly different from FM15. 

Surprised you haven't noticed it? 

It's subjective.  For every person that can show you stats that support the crossing issue, there is someone else who can show you goals from crosses are the minority of how they score/concede.

But people don't come on here and say "hey look, I don't score/concede many from crosses, must be a bug" do they? ;)

Clearly they don't as there are more than enough crosses in the game :D

From what I've seen in the numerous threads, I'm not saying it's a bug, that's the wrong terminology. I think it's a balancing issue with last years engine. The only grumble from me was that it was deemed too risky to tweak in the third patch as those things are usually ironed out by that point. Though Neil did come on and say it could have too many knock on effects - so the issue was acknowledged. 

Anyway, that's all history. I'm sure it's been balanced far better in the current engine with the work the team would have put into it. 

Archived