Quarter Finals - Argentina vs Belgium (17:00 BST) & Holland vs Costa Rica (21:00 BST)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Credit to Cillesen for the way he took the decision to take him off, acted like a pro throughout the penalty shootout. :thup:

Can't have done his confidence all that good mind.

Costa Rica players should be praised for the way they went straight over to the Dutch after the last penalty. :thup:

What's with this nonsense? So many people seem to think the first time Cillessen heard about this was when the board went up with his number. There's absolutely no reason this should in any way, shape or form affect his confidence

Enyeama was replaced before PKs in an African Nations Cup quarterfinal match against Zambia as well, a long time ago. Can´t remember who was the sub that came in though. I am pretty sure I seen it happened in Brazil as well, but not on the back of mind right now.

Would like Holland to win it - they've lost 3 finals and all the other teams have won it before.

Wouldn't mind Holland making the final and losing it for this reason :D

Schadenfreude is a horrible thing :D

I'd like Germany to win it, the reason being is that generation of players deserves to win a major prize

also Germany haven't won anything major for 18 years which is quite a while

Wouldn't mind Holland making the final and losing it for this reason :D

Schadenfreude is a horrible thing :D

:herman:

As a supporter of a small team that has lost EVERY final it's ever played (bar the War cup and that don't count) I feel their fans have suffered enough :D

Brazilian Sportv just showed Cillessen kicking a bottle on his way to the bench when he was subbed, and then being talked to by another reserve. Quite surprising for me as he ran towards Krul in the end for a hug and Krul said they practiced this situation.

Brazilian Sportv just showed Cillessen kicking a bottle on his way to the bench when he was subbed, and then being talked to by another reserve. Quite surprising for me as he ran towards Krul in the end for a hug and Krul said they practiced this situation.

Yup. He was visibly upset when he came off which is why I think everybody saying it'll destroy his confidence is probably right.

Yes he celebrated the victory and was first on the pitch, but that's because he's a Dutch player in the semi-final of the World Cup. Hugging Krul is normal because Krul won them the shootout. It doesn't mean he's going to be overjoyed at being dropped like that for a penalty shootout. He'll probably be upset about it (however his overriding emotion will be joy at progressing as a team).

Manu fans chuffed at the moment. Such an influential manager in the World Cup, and coming to Man U.

If that is what gets Man Utd fans happy you realise just how **** that club is nowadays.

Manu fans chuffed at the moment. Such an influential manager in the World Cup, and coming to Man U.

Penalty shootouts are not applicable in Premier League... nor Champions League group stages.

And wait... oh, Champions League?

To people saying Cilessen's confidence will be shot: would you rather have what happened, or your keeper with his confidence intact watching the World Cup semi-finals from home on the TV?

Awwwww YEAH! That was pure poetry from van Gaal. That was a great way to mess with the CRC penalty takers. Who cares if Krul is or is not a good penalty killer, as long as the opponents think he is? He went the right way for every single one, so who knows, he may have practiced on it or something :D

I absolutely love the comments in this thread. SUCK IT UP, HATERS :cool:

Wanting a team to win who don't cross the halfway line for an hour, you lot are absolutely pathetic :D

I think he was inspired by Mike Büskens. Büskens changed his goalkeeper against Dortmund for the penalty shootout but the game didn't went there because the newly substituted goalkeeper scored an own goal at the very last second. Lesson learned don't bring your specialized goalkeeper too early.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1113425-borussia-dortmund-jrgen-klopps-men-beat-greuther-frth-for-cup-final-place

Wanting a team to win who don't cross the halfway line for an hour, you lot are absolutely pathetic :D

Though I'd never do that as a neutral, I understand: it's an underdog thing. People always want to see the favourites fail. Costa Rica were really horrendous, QF unworthy attacking play. Luck and a good defence is what kept them in the game.

Krul knew but Cillessen didn't apparently and also Krul is taller, so that is why van Gaal did it

No mention of research or anything on pen takers though

I think Krul was selected for two reasons:

1. He was willing to be a dick and trash talk the CRC takers. He was also willing to time waste their pens by standing in front of them and slowly back off. Always going to get into the head of the opposition, these things.

2. The change alone would have played on the mind of the CRC players. This has probably only ever happened a handful of times in the history of football, and it's never happened on a stage as big as the WC.

It was all about psychology, I think. And it worked, so credit for LVG and Krul. But I still think it was highly unsporting the way Krul talked smack and delayed each kick.

JDownie,

I agree with you, and I also thought the same watching Krul with his unsporting tactics. I found unbelievable that after the first PK he did it the referee kept allowing him to do so. He can even shout from the line, tell the player he will get the PK, whatever. But get close and keep slowing down the process was too much in my opinion - we had that a couple of times in Brazil, one decided a Brazilian Championship in 77.

Cheers,

Tele

What's with this nonsense? So many people seem to think the first time Cillessen heard about this was when the board went up with his number. There's absolutely no reason this should in any way, shape or form affect his confidence

Van Gaal said so actually. He said Krul knew he was going to do the penalties, and was also prepared so he knew how everyone from Costa Rica kicked it. Cilessen did not know he was not going to do the penalties.

Cilessen also said he was incredibly angry when he realized he was being subbed off. But he got over it and they won and he's a happy camper now.

Archived