Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

You won't do that, so you don't have to admit that it actually is your tactics, whether FM has good accessibility or not. FM12 had no collision detection, so no wonder you can easily play through balls to one striker - bang, goal! That's far more realistic of course! As for realistic, you don't have to make a tactic "that stupid ME loves", that's just plain nonsense. Any realistic tactical concept can be used to success, it's rather the earlier iterations of FM, especially FM12 and older, that were far more susceptible to using ME exploits.

I won't login to this forum account for one month if your tactics are actually sound. Maybe a mod can help with that stipulation. :D

No mate, i dont have to lie, it is not my tactic only, i sad already twice that i tried also downloaded. Read my reply for RTHerringbone, if you are such a good manager, tell me that istructions i wrote, and if my team play good, i will deactivate my account and never said again any bad word about FM.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let someone, tell me which tactic (roles, team instructions), how to set trainings, which staff and players to bring with Wolsfburg or Roma (because i tried many things with no success), and i will play like that, and post here so you can all see that nothing works.

Nice to hear that I'm so popular in Serbia, but I suspect you are referring to the makers of the game :D

The comment above is probably the crux of your problem.

No tactic, whether downloaded or created by yourself, will just "work" from game to game.

You have to be perceptive enough to identify the right approach for each game.

You wouldn't play Bayern Munich away in the same way as you'd play Freiburg at home in real life, and FM is the same.

You also need to be patient and not fiddle around too much, too often, or your Tactical Familiarity takes a nosedive and you're in trouble.

I guarantee that if you are willing to post in the Tactics Forum with screenshots of what you have tried, people will give you advice that makes you understand the game better, and increase your chances of success.

No, i don't want to do that. You don't udnerstand me, maybe because I can't write well on English. I downloaded many tactics, not working. I started again again again with same team and different tactics after reading many posts how to create good tactic, try with all possible roles for player nothing work. I play this game for 15 years what is the point of the game if i must make my tactic that stupid ME loves. We can't be creative this year with tactis.

My English is bad but i will try to explain. You have one striker in your formation, in real life you can just say him "try to beat offside trap, try to find space, run with the ball" (poacher) and if he is good he will do exactly that. Play again fm 2012 and you will see that strikers do that! Here, no way, poacher doing nothing, and advanced forward, and deep lying, maybe false nine doing something but he just shoot from 30m, five meters of the goal, or pass to wingers which again, shoots 10m of the goal. Also, tell your playmaker "Try to pass through for striker" and he will do that in real life, also in fm2012, but in 2014 noooo fkn way, he is just one tree on the field doing nothing. If you have player like Diego from wolfsburg you dont have to tell him anything in real life, just play football! and he will be good, here .. sad.. just sad.. I see that i am not only who complain, and people that saying they playing good, have always same advice "visit tactic discussion" visit this, visit that, bla bla bla..

No team IRL plays a lone forward as a poacher.

As others have also said FM12 had no collision detection so using a lone poacher was bordering on exploiting the ME as the defenders had no way of defending against the unrealistic through balls between the DCs.

You can also be very creative with tactics, they just need to be balanced and logical. You also need to adapt those tactics from match to match depending on the opposition, just because a tactic works in one match doesn't mean it will work in the next as the opposition are different, the players are different and they play differently.

So you want someone to tell you a tactic to use, and yet you refuse to go to the tactics forum?

Because i tried many tactic from many forums INCLUDING THIS!! OK TELL ME THEN WHICH TACTIC WILL YOU USE FROM TACTIC FORUM AND I WILL TRY IT AND POST RESULT HERE.

Because i tried many tactic from many forums INCLUDING THIS!! OK TELL ME THEN WHICH TACTIC WILL YOU USE FROM TACTIC FORUM AND I WILL TRY IT AND POST RESULT HERE.

The answer is don't download tactics, learn to build your own by reading the advice in the tactics forum.

Once you have built your tactic try it out and if you have issues post it up in the tactics forum and you'll get advice as to the issues it may have.

Nice to hear that I'm so popular in Serbia, but I suspect you are referring to the makers of the game :D

The comment above is probably the crux of your problem.

No tactic, whether downloaded or created by yourself, will just "work" from game to game.

You have to be perceptive enough to identify the right approach for each game.

You wouldn't play Bayern Munich away in the same way as you'd play Freiburg at home in real life, and FM is the same.

You also need to be patient and not fiddle around too much, too often, or your Tactical Familiarity takes a nosedive and you're in trouble.

I guarantee that if you are willing to post in the Tactics Forum with screenshots of what you have tried, people will give you advice that makes you understand the game better, and increase your chances of success.

Thank you, i see you are the only resaonable guy here so i will put my screenshots on tactic forum. It is hard for me because of English but i will try. :)

Thank you, i see you are the only resaonable guy here so i will put my screenshots on tactic forum. It is hard for me because of English but i will try. :)

Just a screen showing the formation, Roles, Duties, Mentality, Fluidity and Team Instructions will do.

Try to explain how you want to play, and what you think each Role will contribute to the overall team performance.

People can then advise of any basic flaws with the set up.

Once that is resolved, then your approach to different matches can be looked at - good luck :thup:

• SI Staff
Did the Board Confidence bug relating to Goals from Set Pieces get fixed? I am still playing on the same pre-patch save and its still showing at 0% despite my being near the end of the season.

A fix was not included for this issue. It has been logged though and is being investigated.

Cheers,

Ben

I'd like to see those last ditch sliding tackles inside the area fixed. I've never seen so many in a football game before. Or at least reduce the amount of those ridiculous challenges. I've seen more fouls called for standing tackles than those diving to get the ball. And what's weird is oftentimes a defender tackles the ball from behind which leaves the player is still standing yet the ball bounces sideways towards side instead of being knocked to his front.

I'd like to see those last ditch sliding tackles inside the area fixed. I've never seen so many in a football game before. Or at least reduce the amount of those ridiculous challenges. I've seen more fouls called for standing tackles than those diving to get the ball. And what's weird is oftentimes a defender tackles the ball from behind which leaves the player is still standing yet the ball bounces sideways towards side instead of being knocked to his front.

I quote on this. And the yellow cards for that kind of fouls are out of the contest the most of times. BUT it could just be a bad rapresentation from 3D.

think ive brought rugby manager not fm 60million striker blast 20 yards wide or 50 yards over BUT was nearly a wonder goal ...striker through one on one either passes 40 yards back to full back taps tamely at goal keeper or defence gets back and plays ping pong in the box ....yet the AI team wonder goal after wonder goal....watched a full game 4 yellow cards 1 pen for what player falling over ?? yet AI does the same to my players nothing games a joke is it worth playing anymore knowing you tactic you make will make you out play the other team time and time again but AI will win through a pen a freekick or your team going to 10 men etc

think ive brought rugby manager not fm 60million striker blast 20 yards wide or 50 yards over BUT was nearly a wonder goal ...striker through one on one either passes 40 yards back to full back taps tamely at goal keeper or defence gets back and plays ping pong in the box ....yet the AI team wonder goal after wonder goal....watched a full game 4 yellow cards 1 pen for what player falling over ?? yet AI does the same to my players nothing games a joke is it worth playing anymore knowing you tactic you make will make you out play the other team time and time again but AI will win through a pen a freekick or your team going to 10 men etc

Punctuation can be your friend, don't be afraid of it.

The suggestion that the AI is favoured over the human player is incorrect, and is usually indicative of flawed tactics on your behalf, or an overly subjective interpretation of events when you lose a game.

I think Punctuation Manager 2014 is the game for you.

Put this one down to selective memory or just plain fantasy.

Im gonna jump in here. Re not downloading tactics. In my opinion some of the contributiors in the download section this year have been great. However, if you read the whole of the threads from such as Rosler and Glasgakellie, you will see they dont promise instant win. They will discuss things with people though and by using one of these you can learn whats what. For my own part I started off with Sacchi tactic which is a fairly straight forward one and one I had great success tweaking to my own ends. And yes I have tried others on the understanding that they are a template to learn from.

The amount of goalkeeper or defence errors giving the ball away is stupid.
Got to agree with GK stupidity, i have mine to distribute to defenders and my keeper sometimes kicks it to a defender that is a yard away, looks hilarious when the ball bounces of said defender and back to the keeper.

u should fix those AMAZING chases from AI's players. it's my next game, when after leading through all match they killing my hopes in 90 minute.

http://i.imgur.com/jmaD9px.jpg

wtf?! how many times smth like this in season? i know that sometimes Champions League Final '99 syndrome can happen, but it's too often guys. c'mooon!

it's worth to add, that it's no difference if i set my players to counter or full defend, if AI wants to score, they will score. am up to start to wondering if u don't put to game some formulas, that this and this team should not to lose with this and this opponent.

u should fix those AMAZING chases from AI's players. it's my next game, when after leading through all match they killing my hopes in 90 minute.

http://i.imgur.com/jmaD9px.jpg

wtf?! how many times smth like this in season? i know that sometimes Champions League Final '99 syndrome can happen, but it's too often guys. c'mooon!

it's worth to add, that it's no difference if i set my players to counter or full defend, if AI wants to score, they will score. am up to start to wondering if u don't put to game some formulas, that this and this team should not to lose with this and this opponent.

Bah. That means nothing to me. Actually it seems they well deserved a draw at least. You ask how many times something like this happened that season. We're waiting for your answer providing screenshots. According to me and my save, it's pretty rare and absolutely in line with real life.

Out of contest, how many torn hamstring have you suffered generally? I can't give an exact figure, but according to my save it seems it is the only injury available in the database. 2-3 months of stop everytime is crazy.

Possibly not the greatest comment I have ever made, but the point remains.

You are using one of the strongest teams in the game, and consequently face a lot of teams who sit deep and try to shut you out.

The shot statistics imply that you were overly attacking, were kept at bay, but continued with the same strategy.

If you post your set up in the tactics forum with screenshots, you will get a lot of helpful advice.

Maybe you are right! Thanks for the help and don t blame me for my nerves. Sorry and thanks!

Those having trouble with strikers scoring, do you by any chance play with a lone striker formation?

I have found that I get a lot more out of my strikers in partnership, and I think it's because two up front seems to create more chances for strikers when they are on an angle, rather than straight in front.

Might just be perception but strikers seem a lot more reliable when they shoot from an angle.

Those having trouble with strikers scoring, do you by any chance play with a lone striker formation?

I have found that I get a lot more out of my strikers in partnership, and I think it's because two up front seems to create more chances for strikers when they are on an angle, rather than straight in front.

Might just be perception but strikers seem a lot more reliable when they shoot from an angle.

Then it'll help if "moves into channels" is selected for a lone striker, which I'm sure most people struggling don't but should consider.

Thats the way it should be, shots from an angle are much more difficult for a GK to deal with whereas straight in front is much easier.

Anyway I play with a lone ST and have no issues getting them to score.

Not sure I agree with that. A shot from an angle should always play to the 'keeper's advantage because he can cover more of the goal and the striker has to be more precise. From dead in front a striker can theoretically go either side or even round/dink the 'keeper.

I'm talking one on one chances though.

Not sure I agree with that. A shot from an angle should always play to the 'keeper's advantage because he can cover more of the goal and the striker has to be more precise. From dead in front a striker can theoretically go either side or even round/dink the 'keeper.

I used to play as a keeper, and I much preferred someone coming towards me straight on than those at an angle. At an angle you're usually so paranoid about making sure your near post is covered, there's more often than not a huge target at the other side. Although that could possibly describe why I was never that good :lol:

I'm talking one on one chances though.

Not even close and thats from someone who played in goal a fair amount.

I'm sure I've explained it recently but directly in front you only have one angle to close down, in the channel you have two angles to close down which is much more difficult to judge right.

I used to play as a keeper, and I much preferred someone coming towards me straight on than those at an angle. At an angle you're usually so paranoid about making sure your near post is covered, there's more often than not a huge target at the other side. Although that could possibly describe why I was never that good :lol:

Have to say playing in goal i always preferred being shot at from an angle. Can usually show them enough of the far post to convince them the near post wasn't an option meaning 90% of the time they would shoot across goal and i would save it by diving early. Maybe it's one of those where there's no right or wrong though, just personal preference.

Fair enough, I've never played in goal so can't dispute that. I am talking more from a striker's point of view, in that you have less of the goal to aim at and the 'keeper looks bigger. Then again having more of the goal to aim at can often lead to indecision too, whereas if you only have the far post to score at, it takes out any thought process.

Fair enough, I've never played in goal so can't dispute that. I am talking more from a striker's point of view, in that you have less of the goal to aim at and the 'keeper looks bigger. Then again having more of the goal to aim at can often lead to indecision too, whereas if you only have the far post to score at, it takes out any thought process.

Id say from a strikers point of view it's better to have a slight angle. Just as long as it isn't so narrow that you have too little to aim at.

Id say from a strikers point of view it's better to have a slight angle. Just as long as it isn't so narrow that you have too little to aim at.

I'd agree with that. Around 45 degrees and the strong foot on the outside (ie - left footer shooting from the left side) seems to be the winning formula for my strikers.

I'd agree with that. Around 45 degrees and the strong foot on the outside (ie - left footer shooting from the left side) seems to be the winning formula for my strikers.

Yeh id agree with around 45 degrees. I would think though that a right footer shooting from the left or a left footer shooting from the right would be better though. That way the angle is very slightly improved and you can curl it inside the far post.

Yeh id agree with around 45 degrees. I would think though that a right footer shooting from the left or a left footer shooting from the right would be better though. That way the angle is very slightly improved and you can curl it inside the far post.

In the game, maybe. IRL, not a chance. It's much easier to have a striker coming at you at an angle. It means there's less width to cover.

Something wrong with the scouts now? I have really good scouts with judging at 18 telling me that players like Rever (Brazilian CB) aren't worth while signings at Southampton. There's been many more as well.

In the game, maybe. IRL, not a chance. It's much easier to have a striker coming at you at an angle. It means there's less width to cover.

As i said earlier (may not have explained it well) as a keeper i would prefer the striker to be shooting at me from an angle. As a striker i would also prefer to be shooting at a slight angle. I understand there may be no logic in that but that's just me. :)

Has anyone noticed that very annoying bug in tactics when making changes to player instructions?

So many times now I've made slight changes to my current tactic and it ends up swapping the player instructions around for other players in the backup tactics and vice versa. I've created 3 tactics, saved them as 3 separate tactics, but oh god is it annoying when I check back later in the season to see my DM instructions for CM. This only seems to effect the midfield.

If I spend 20 minutes doing my tactics I don't want to have to do them all over again multiple times and sometimes I have to reload the backup tactics if I make changes to the current tactic.

I'm in the match engine thinking why the hell is my player doing that then I'm oh yeah it's just FM14 screwing me over again. The amount of times Valbuena ends up defending set pieces because his player instructions have swapped with the DM, obvious a big weakness for conceding goals...

Another thing to fix please FM and if anyone has lots of player instructions I advise to check them regularly...

EDIT: Also I tried to change the positions so I could easily switch to an attacking or defensive tactic i.e. CM becoming a DM or a Shadow Striker becoming a CM in a defensive tactic but if I switch the midfielders end up all over the place and I have to sort them out anyway.

As i said earlier (may not have explained it well) as a keeper i would prefer the striker to be shooting at me from an angle. As a striker i would also prefer to be shooting at a slight angle. I understand there may be no logic in that but that's just me. :)

You're right... that makes no sense! I understand us keepers are a special bunch :D

I suppose it'll differ from striker to striker. Those that place shots would want a slight angle and those that like to blast it at goal would want as big a target as possible.

Archived