Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit: the one thing I missed, which is quite minor, sometimes the box you get when hovering over the "i" button on the tactics page sticks- it's supposed to appear/disappear when you hover/stop hovering. But occasionally it remains, even if you switch to another page altogether, before eventually disappearing. I'll try and get a screenie next time it comes up.

And, since it's just happened again, here is a screenie:

http://i39.tinypic.com/mm1yv.jpg

This is, of course, after navigating from the Gillingham tactics page to our opponents.

i play with barca.... 40 shots per game... 20 long sots.... congradulations SI!!!! the worst patch ever... If i made those mistakes in my job, they should fire me the next morning. Keep it up!
This is, simply put, just an awful tactic.
This is simply anawful comment and the only one you can make. If you don t know how i play let someone else to comment!

40 shots & 20 from distance gives a fair reflection that you are using a poorly thought out tactic, rather than blaming the ME look at what you are doing wrong tactically.

Hi,

First thing to say, it seems that gamers from Turkey couldn't get the update because when i try to do it manually it seems the latest patch released for FM14 is 14.2.0. Of course I quit FM14, restarted Steam.

If we talk generally about the game: ( Sorry if you don't like my English)

SI should better start focusing on ME, strikers and goalkeepers rather than small/insignificant bugs.

For example during the match, i change my attacking phylosophy from shorter passing to "go route one",untick "work ball into box" but my players continues to play shorter passes and tries to break into box with them. Sometimes my full backs tries long passes but most of them goes to opposition GK or goes outside of the area. Even I instruct my winger as "Cross from Deep", like %99 of the time they continue to go byline, get 2 defenders and try to find a space to cross. At the end he choses to pass to full back or midfielder, a wasted wing opportunity.

Sometimes when I'm having problems with my player, a coach offers me to approach him like "Aggressive" or "Calm". But when I go to that screen I cannot chose the approach type that my coach offered. So if the player doesn't like the club or has a low level of loyalty, he wants to be transfer listed at the end.

To sum up we dealt with bad MEs so far in FM series, found tweaks to overcome with it but this year SI delivered the worst ME in Football Manager series.

Today I stop playing FM14 and stick with FM13 with summer transfer update till SI releases 14.3 patch. Hoping they can make some significant change.

And I don't know what's happening to game makers. If you couldn't deliver a sole product, don't deliver it!!

This is simply anawful comment and the only one you can make. If you don t know how i play let someone else to comment!

Possibly not the greatest comment I have ever made, but the point remains.

You are using one of the strongest teams in the game, and consequently face a lot of teams who sit deep and try to shut you out.

The shot statistics imply that you were overly attacking, were kept at bay, but continued with the same strategy.

If you post your set up in the tactics forum with screenshots, you will get a lot of helpful advice.

This is, simply put, just an awful tactic.

Actually not so much.

Most Teams I've noticed play exactly the same regardless of tactics employed. There isn't much individual personality of teams or players.

I just beat Barcelona actually and I remember thinking in game as I was watching this isn't barcelona at all, I've demolished them 5-0, had all the possession using a tactic that doesn't really care if it retains the majority of the ball, and their go to tactic was the same as every other team I've played against, long balls over the top..

I guess I could just be a tactical genius, but then again, parts of this game still confuse me, so either I'm a genius or the game is flawed, simple really

Anyone else seeing increased injuries after this patch? I mean not just players at my club, but also when they are out on loan, or internationals. Every month it's like a ****ing lottery to see who tears a hammie or sometimes literally breaking a leg.

Not to mention almost one major injury per match, not always long term, but enough to force a sub.

Anyone else seeing increased injuries after this patch? I mean not just players at my club, but also when they are out on loan, or internationals. Every month it's like a ****ing lottery to see who tears a hammie or sometimes literally breaking a leg.

Not to mention almost one major injury per match, not always long term, but enough to force a sub.

Thin game injury is normal tbh but I have noticed that when one of my star players is having a 4-5 game streak of being class, he's struck with a 3 month lay off, not read a lot about any other gamers having this problem, so I don't know if it's a game bug or just crap luck.

Ok, I just posted in bug forum how to reproduce “tactics switching” bug. It takes no more than 30 second to catch it.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380469-14.2.1-How-to-reproduce-“Tactics-switching”-bug.

Lack of fix for this is really disappointing, this is fundamental to the game really.

I mean the issue at the moment is like you can have 3 different starting tactics, as long as they're all the same formation.

The problem is more nuanced than that. I believe this issue only happens when you swap two players between two positions, one which is not used in the second tactic. For example, swapping your WBR with a player in another position in your 3-5-2 tactic, may cause your DR in your 4-4-2 tactic to switch with another player. But, if your second tactic had wing backs too, then no problem would occur. In other words, even if your tactics have different formations, this issue may still not occur. We're looking into this more in the meanwhile; if anyone has anything more to add on this topic, please do so via the thread Totalfootballfan linked to. Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing anyone at the moment.

I have tried every patch for fm 2014, and there is no hope. This is amazingly bad game. Only SI, and their lovers can say that this is good game. I read many forums, tried many tactic-s , trainings, everything, nothing works. Then i have installed fm 2012 and just enjoyed ME from that game, nice driblings, playmakers beautiful killer balls, nice defending, good goalkeepers, stikers score goals. Ofcourse, admin on this forum will not display my post again because they can't handle the truth and critics. SI guys, please... For 15 years this game is my passion, this is by far the worst game in series.. Don't patch your game every month, use that time to rebuild ME, so we can enjoy your game again in fm 2015. All the best and sorry for my bad English.

Just one of milion stupid situations from fm 2014. AI goalkeeper pass ball direct to my stiker, he have all time and space of the world to score but he pass ball back to my fullback 50 meters behind him and ofcourse ai team score from counter attack. Every match, i have 20-25 shoots,10-15 on target 0 goals, AI two, two on target and ofcourse 2 goals. I can write for hours what else is bad in this game but i will stop now cause i am enough frustrated playing this year fm.

Just to be clear, there are no Match Engine changes with this hotfix. We are working on ME improvements constantly, but any possible changes require significantly more testing. This is to ensure that we are improving any out-standing issues rather than making them worse and also making certain we are not creating any new problems in the process. Please bear with us :)

@ SI, Thanks for fixing the Unemployment bug.

I started a new game yesterday, unemployed, sunday league, loading all leagues from all of South America (sans Brazil and Argentina), Australia, China, South Korea, Mexico and the US, and within a year I'd been offered one interview and no jobs. I started again, with semi-professional rep, and it took about 3 months to get an interview, and then a job offer, in the lower reaches of Colombia's second tier.

Has getting a job with Sunday League been made generally harder on purpose then in previous games, or should it be easier than I'm seeing it. At present, unless it's just a quirk, it seems like you can't really start as Sunday League, at least in the leagues I chose.

I have tried every patch for fm 2014, and there is no hope. This is amazingly bad game. Only SI, and their lovers can say that this is good game. I read many forums, tried many tactic-s , trainings, everything, nothing works. Then i have installed fm 2012 and just enjoyed ME from that game, nice driblings, playmakers beautiful killer balls, nice defending, good goalkeepers, stikers score goals. Ofcourse, admin on this forum will not display my post again because they can't handle the truth and critics. SI guys, please... For 15 years this game is my passion, this is by far the worst game in series.. Don't patch your game every month, use that time to rebuild ME, so we can enjoy your game again in fm 2015. All the best and sorry for my bad English.

Just one of milion stupid situations from fm 2014. AI goalkeeper pass ball direct to my stiker, he have all time and space of the world to score but he pass ball back to my fullback 50 meters behind him and ofcourse ai team score from counter attack. Every match, i have 20-25 shoots,10-15 on target 0 goals, AI two, two on target and ofcourse 2 goals. I can write for hours what else is bad in this game but i will stop now cause i am enough frustrated playing this year fm.

I am in my second season with Chelsea and i haven't seen a single thing of what you are talking about. Given the scope, this is an amazingly good game to me.

Sort of.

At the start of the game, go on holiday and choose to apply for jobs while you're away. That way you'll get offers. If you manually apply for them, it seems it's still as difficult to get an interview.

Do you get offered more jobs now while in a current job while doing well (or was this never an issue?) I've been doing quite well, had successive promotions then finished 6th and 2nd in the top league, but not had anyone approach me or even be linked with any job whatsoever...

I am in my second season with Chelsea and i haven't seen a single thing of what you are talking about. Given the scope, this is an amazingly good game to me.

Can you try with Wolfsburg? I don't like to play with big teams , Wolfsburg is one of teams that i would like to lead, but i can't. Just start new game, play couple of games and if you play good, just post me here reply, tactic and training so i can try it my self and if it work i will tell that fm2014 is a good game.

3 times I started with that team, they have nice players, to be at least 5th in the league, but i can't play good whatever i do. Please just don't tell me read 12 step guide for playing fm, try tactic discussion, i tried all. Also with Roma i started at least five times, bring some good players, 4-5 star coaches (also in Wolfsburg) and no way to play good. I arrange many friendlies, tactic familiarity was full, win all friendlies, but when league starts, disaster. Both with Roma and Wolfsburg..

Can you try with Wolfsburg? I don't like to play with big teams , Wolfsburg is one of teams that i would like to lead, but i can't. Just start new game, play couple of games and if you play good, just post me here reply, tactic and training so i can try it my self and if it work i will tell that fm2014 is a good game.

3 times I started with that team, they have nice players, to be at least 5th in the league, but i can't play good whatever i do. Please just don't tell me read 12 step guide for playing fm, try tactic discussion, i tried all. Also with Roma i started at least five times, bring some good players, 4-5 star coaches (also in Wolfsburg) and no way to play good. I arrange many friendlies, tactic familiarity was full, win all friendlies, but when league starts, disaster. Both with Roma and Wolfsburg..

Tactics forum > Start thread > pics of your tactic and what you are trying to do > advice on why its not working and how to improve it.

Yes I have. Since the last patch I have a least one injury every game! I have now 4-5 players injured. Before the last patch I never had that.

My games are always over by either the 3rd or 4th season, there is just little point in carrying on.

I generally overachieve, for instance, in my last save i came 4th in the EPL with West Ham without a single signing.

I improved the squad 2nd season(only 5 signings) and came 4th again.

Season 3 i brought in 4 more players, had a much better side than season 1 and 2 and started off great, playing better football with better players, having more chances than previous seasons and my opponents are having less, yet my results are getting worse.

Better players are making more individual errors than the poor players i had in previous seasons and the real killer is o.g.'s, where i end up behind at half time or losing games when the AI have not had a single shot on target and we have had a host of glorious chances.

Definitely something wrong here, probably to do with the way the game calculates results and unless this is looked into by SI, i can't see anything changing in future patches.

Edit - Also, my posts here are still not visible to the general public, i have tried communicating numerous times with both SI staff and Moderators, but in over 4 weeks i've still not received a single reply?

I started a new game yesterday, unemployed, sunday league, loading all leagues from all of South America (sans Brazil and Argentina), Australia, China, South Korea, Mexico and the US, and within a year I'd been offered one interview and no jobs. I started again, with semi-professional rep, and it took about 3 months to get an interview, and then a job offer, in the lower reaches of Colombia's second tier.

Has getting a job with Sunday League been made generally harder on purpose then in previous games, or should it be easier than I'm seeing it. At present, unless it's just a quirk, it seems like you can't really start as Sunday League, at least in the leagues I chose.

Just a thought with this - and I am sitting at work without the game in front of me - but a lot of those countries have only one or two tiers of leagues active so I would thought its unlikely a Sunday League rep would get offers from say MLS in the US or the A-League in Australia; if the reputation was automatic, my reading would be it is then aligned to the lowest rep team in the lowest league available which may give more offers?

The apply "manually" is still a bug that SI is looking to fix, Forameuss. I encountered the same issue you have applying to jobs. Apparently the way to work around this is that you have to go on holiday. Choose apply to all clubs and go on holiday indefenitly. This way I got the Berwick Rangers job yesterday. "Manually" applying didn't work for me either. I tried twice yesterday with the new patch, one I didn't get the job (did get interview) because of "manually" hitting continue, second time I got it when I went on holiday.

Hopefully this helps you, I am looking forward to one of your journeyman careers soon on the Forums.

The apply "manually" is still a bug that SI is looking to fix, Forameuss. I encountered the same issue you have applying to jobs. Apparently the way to work around this is that you have to go on holiday. Choose apply to all clubs and go on holiday indefenitly. This way I got the Berwick Rangers job yesterday. "Manually" applying didn't work for me either. I tried twice yesterday with the new patch, one I didn't get the job (did get interview) because of "manually" hitting continue, second time I got it when I went on holiday.

Hopefully this helps you, I am looking forward to one of your journeyman careers soon on the Forums.

I usually use the Holiday method on a true journeyman, and still having the same problems. Running some tests on it now for the bugs forum.

Just a thought with this - and I am sitting at work without the game in front of me - but a lot of those countries have only one or two tiers of leagues active so I would thought its unlikely a Sunday League rep would get offers from say MLS in the US or the A-League in Australia; if the reputation was automatic, my reading would be it is then aligned to the lowest rep team in the lowest league available which may give more offers?

I would agree usually, but I've been offered jobs in the A-League before - in FM14 no less - with SL rep. I think that's wrong anyway, so not quite the point. With South American leagues loaded though, I would expect to be offered a lower division job in somewhere like Uruguay and Colombia. It used to be the case you'd go on holiday, and the next day you'd have four or five offers. If it's a conscious change, that's fine, but it's also been tweaked too far if so.

I have a very 'hands-off' approach: i use only two basic tactics (the same as the real life team i'm managing) and let the coaches do their job (scouting, training and so on). Only a couple of buys to not disrupt the team and then i start playing right away.I don't think that what you see has nothing to do with the team being 'big'. And please don't forget that it's only a game.

Must say I was very critical of the new patch until I realized that an overly attacking tactic gets harshly punished by quick, counter-attacking opponents. I've now switched to a tactic with Counter attacking, Retain Possession, Pass into Space and Run at Defence. With my highly skilled team it worked wonderfully well and the football on display is very beautiful. There are still issues that need to be fixed though, such as the poor decisions by defenders when clearing corners.

Compared to real life, that's quite normal.

Ok I can understand that. But before the latest patch I never had at least 1 injury every game. Now I have every game 1 or 2 injuries.

I only compare with before and after the patch. If I see it now, injuries have been incresed by 300%.

But I also must say that I have a very busy programme. I try to use rotation.

I hope injuries will reduce. If not I will come back.

Tactics forum > Start thread > pics of your tactic and what you are trying to do > advice on why its not working and how to improve it.

No, i don't want to do that. You don't udnerstand me, maybe because I can't write well on English. I downloaded many tactics, not working. I started again again again with same team and different tactics after reading many posts how to create good tactic, try with all possible roles for player nothing work. I play this game for 15 years what is the point of the game if i must make my tactic that stupid ME loves. We can't be creative this year with tactis.

My English is bad but i will try to explain. You have one striker in your formation, in real life you can just say him "try to beat offside trap, try to find space, run with the ball" (poacher) and if he is good he will do exactly that. Play again fm 2012 and you will see that strikers do that! Here, no way, poacher doing nothing, and advanced forward, and deep lying, maybe false nine doing something but he just shoot from 30m, five meters of the goal, or pass to wingers which again, shoots 10m of the goal. Also, tell your playmaker "Try to pass through for striker" and he will do that in real life, also in fm2012, but in 2014 noooo fkn way, he is just one tree on the field doing nothing. If you have player like Diego from wolfsburg you dont have to tell him anything in real life, just play football! and he will be good, here .. sad.. just sad.. I see that i am not only who complain, and people that saying they playing good, have always same advice "visit tactic discussion" visit this, visit that, bla bla bla..

@Marko1989

FM12 and FM14 aren't really comparable, as they have entirely different Match Engines.

The critical difference is that we now have collision detection, so the lone Poachers of FM12 can no longer walk through defenders (they couldn't do that in FM13, when collision detection was introduced).

The examples you cite of the logic you want to apply to Diego ("you dont have to tell him anything in real life, just play football! and he will be good") is unfortunately a tad too simplified for FM.

If you genuinely want help and advice, then the Tactics forum can help you, as it has helped a number of posters in GD in recent weeks.

You can continue to bemoan the ME, but sometimes it is beneficial to look closer to home to find the fault.

What nationality have you given your manager? SL rep sets the world rep score to the lowest possible value which significantly restricts your employment opportunities, more so if your nationality does not tie in with the nations that you have loaded.

The ones I'm using to test now are Italian, and I think the one I mentioned yesterday was too. I know that that will affect it, and if I had Italy loaded, I might get lower tier jobs there, but surely it shouldn't be that hard?

No, i don't want to do that. You don't udnerstand me, maybe because I can't write well on English. I downloaded many tactics, not working. I started again again again with same team and different tactics after reading many posts how to create good tactic, try with all possible roles for player nothing work. I play this game for 15 years what is the point of the game if i must make my tactic that stupid ME loves. We can't be creative this year with tactis.

My English is bad but i will try to explain. You have one striker in your formation, in real life you can just say him "try to beat offside trap, try to find space, run with the ball" (poacher) and if he is good he will do exactly that. Play again fm 2012 and you will see that strikers do that! Here, no way, poacher doing nothing, and advanced forward, and deep lying, maybe false nine doing something but he just shoot from 30m, five meters of the goal, or pass to wingers which again, shoots 10m of the goal. Also, tell your playmaker "Try to pass through for striker" and he will do that in real life, also in fm2012, but in 2014 noooo fkn way, he is just one tree on the field doing nothing. If you have player like Diego from wolfsburg you dont have to tell him anything in real life, just play football! and he will be good, here .. sad.. just sad.. I see that i am not only who complain, and people that saying they playing good, have always same advice "visit tactic discussion" visit this, visit that, bla bla bla..

You won't do that, so you don't have to admit that it actually is your tactics, whether FM has good accessibility or not. FM12 had no collision detection, so no wonder you can easily play through balls to one striker - bang, goal! That's far more realistic of course! As for realistic, you don't have to make a tactic "that stupid ME loves", that's just plain nonsense. Any realistic tactical concept can be used to success, it's rather the earlier iterations of FM, especially FM12 and older, that were far more susceptible to using ME exploits.

I won't login to this forum account for one month if your tactics are actually sound. Maybe a mod can help with that stipulation. :D

edit: Just sayin', it's not actually meant to talk down to you, rather that me and many others had experienced frustration like yours before. Being self-critical is the best start to change things around in FM, regardless of actual balance/bug issues.

@Marko1989

FM12 and FM14 aren't really comparable, as they have entirely different Match Engines.

The critical difference is that we now have collision detection, so the lone Poachers of FM12 can no longer walk through defenders (they couldn't do that in FM13, when collision detection was introduced).

The examples you cite of the logic you want to apply to Diego ("you dont have to tell him anything in real life, just play football! and he will be good") is unfortunately a tad too simplified for FM.

If you genuinely want help and advice, then the Tactics forum can help you, as it has helped a number of posters in GD in recent weeks.

You can continue to bemoan the ME, but sometimes it is beneficial to look closer to home to find the fault.

I appriciate you reply, and I am glad to see that you trying to make game realistic. Belive me, here in Serbia you have huge fan base, almost all my friends play this game, but for 2013 and 2014 i never heard that someone of them say that are good games. I will stop hating, and say just this. Let someone, tell me which tactic (roles, team instructions), how to set trainings, which staff and players to bring with Wolsfburg or Roma (because i tried many things with no success), and i will play like that, and post here so you can all see that nothing works.

I appriciate you reply, and I am glad to see that you trying to make game realistic. Belive me, here in Serbia you have huge fan base, almost all my friends play this game, but for 2013 and 2014 i never heard that someone of them say that are good games. I will stop hating, and say just this. Let someone, tell me which tactic (roles, team instructions), how to set trainings, which staff and players to bring with Wolsfburg or Roma (because i tried many things with no success), and i will play like that, and post here so you can all see that nothing works.

So you want someone to tell you a tactic to use, and yet you refuse to go to the tactics forum?

Archived