Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Honestly, I actually think that player morale is the worst thing broken with the game, even more than corners, wingers not crossing, etc.

The players as a whole act like 12 year old girls, no offense to 12 year old girls. You can win 5 games in a row, have everyone at superb, draw a tough match and you'd think that you just lost 15 matches in a row. OR the minute to minute Looks composed to Looks very nervous. PROFESSIONAL athletes by the nature of the fact that they got THIS far in their career, even at Skrill level are NOT going to be THAT schizophrenic to vary from MINUTE TO MINUTE the way the game represents.

I understand that if you lost a couple in a row, the game can't have EVERYONE at abysmal, but I just wish when I have the BEST team in the league, that when I win 4-5 in a row, but then lose ONE match, that my players wouldn't turn into a bunch of jellyfish.

The answer is buy players with better personalities (Hidden attributes) and manage them better through teamtalks.

Its not really any different to managing staff IRL, get to know your players and how to motivate them.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The answer is buy players with better personalities (Hidden attributes) and manage them better through teamtalks.

Its not really any different to managing staff IRL, get to know your players and how to motivate them.

I'm sorry but, no. My post and issue is valid. I don't even mind so much the game to game, but the minute to minute is just WAY over the top.

so i won the treble with LFC I cant seem to sell agger johnson sktel enriques for even the value price not inflating or anything they were my main defenders really for the treble first year and I could not sell them during the (first day of budget allotment on for the 2nd season) I must say that the transfer is a bit duped in comparison to previous patch...on the previous patch I could sell them for the atleast 1.2x to 1.5x of value if I win the treble............pls fix for even atleast on value sell

note:

when I sell my player I usually get them with the clauses of +48 months which I found AI to accept more BUT from what I said above it just dosent work anymore...cmon no one wants agger????

I understand that if you lost a couple in a row, the game can't have EVERYONE at abysmal, but I just wish when I have the BEST team in the league, that when I win 4-5 in a row, but then lose ONE match, that my players wouldn't turn into a bunch of jellyfish.

It's pretty obvious that you need to work on your man-management skills. Of course there will be a morale drop if they lose. How much of a morale drop, is up to you.

I'm happy with many elements of the patch - I'm winning nearly every game and my players in general play very well - love the game and the series so thanks a lot SI for all that.

The parts of the game (specifically since patch 14.2) that for almost the first time in the entire series, are making me not want to play anymore due to the lack of realism are

1. Serious comedy Goalkeeper errors. 2 or 3 a season would be fine (and would still not be realistic) but I get a goalkeeper pass to striker once every 3 games at least, frequently with the keeper taking free kicks from the corner flag and passing straight to an opposing team striker. They also seem to really enjoy kicking the ball as hard as they can into the back of their own defender, knocking him into such a state of confusion that the opposing striker picks up the ball unoppossed. The keeper, guilty at hurting his teammate, flings himself randomly to the ground in despair and guilt instead of trying to save the shot.

2. Position of the Wall. I concede (and infreqeuently score) a disproportionalely high number of goals at the near post where the wall is not blocking the goal.

3. Defensive headers from set pieces - can we get an instruction to tell defenders not to head back across their own goal? It may seem foolish to get this, like asking for an instruction to say, do not attack and kill team-mate, but superflous as both instructions would seem to be, my defenders head back across their goal at set pieces at least 5 times a GAME. A GAME. If a defender did this in real life, his coaching team would kill him and put his body in a barrel filled with lime.

Still enjoying the game, but the above glitches really take away from the "belief".

Thanks!

Well i've been winning the majority of my games around 82% but have not been happy with the way the team plays or the quality of goals, too many missed 1 on 1's by strikers and scrambled goals from corners, winning but not pretty. I decided to have another look at the tactics board, particularly wwwfan main post regarding his 12 step guide, I then realised what I've been doing wrong. There was nothing seriously wrong with my tactics, just a few wee tweaks needed. Now strikers are scoring for fun, goals very rarely from corners and most goals from open play came from really good passing and movement, I suggest anyone still having problems with certain things in game to check their tactics and see if tweaking them may help.

It's pretty obvious that you need to work on your man-management skills. Of course there will be a morale drop if they lose. How much of a morale drop, is up to you.

I swear sometimes that if a steam connection to FM or the actual disc caught someone's computer on fire that some of you would blame it on their tactics.

I've been playing this game for 10 years, I think I know how to manage team talks and individual discussions with the players. Frankly, I don't think many of you really even read posts. I said the MINUTE TO MINUTE morale, I was less concerned about the game to game although I absolutely think the game to game changes too much. A professional is notgoing to go from supremely confident to a sniveling schoolboy in the span of two minutes. They just don't.

I swear sometimes that if a steam connection to FM or the actual disc caught someone's computer on fire that some of you would blame it on their tactics.

I've been playing this game for 10 years, I think I know how to manage team talks and individual discussions with the players. Frankly, I don't think many of you really even read posts. I said the MINUTE TO MINUTE morale, I was less concerned about the game to game although I absolutely think the game to game changes too much. A professional is notgoing to go from supremely confident to a sniveling schoolboy in the span of two minutes. They just don't.

I didn't quote the minute-to-minute part because I didn't comment on that. I read your post. I also didn't say it's your tactics. I blamed your man-management, so your first sentence just makes you look silly.

Would it be fair to say that you would have better chance of winning by less possession and more shots? then more possession and more shots? This is credited to WWFAN

So countering and spamming long shots would be more effective then patient build up play?

Would it be fair to say that you would have better chance of winning by less possession and more shots? then more possession and more shots? This is credited to WWFAN

So countering and spamming long shots would be more effective then patient build up play?

He didn't mean a team will win if your shot count is higher. It isn't as simple as that. That's a very "gamey" thought process. Shooting just for the sake of it won't give you any quality chances.

I've just changed to a counter attack and my possession is about the same, all it really means is you close down all over the pitch and when you do get the ball you use it purposefully, it's still tippy tappy but quicker and more direct at times. I played this way on FM12 and it worked a treat, I changed things to a slower possessive style this year which worked to an extent but since changing to counter, my goals have got better and less misses.

great ME!!! still needs some tweaks. but i get the feeling, you have to watch the game in full-mode to really see what's going wrong, if you have problems with your tactics (for example: low passing rate, player mistakes etc.) since i did that, i could finally identify the defenders, who made the most mistakes either leading to goals or ccc... nice work SI!!!

I didn't quote the minute-to-minute part because I didn't comment on that. I read your post. I also didn't say it's your tactics. I blamed your man-management, so your first sentence just makes you look silly.

You still didn't address my original point, and I indicated that I know how to use the team talks, etc.

You still didn't address my original point, and I indicated that I know how to use the team talks, etc.

Originally you made 2 points. I adressed one of those. You said that morale drops way too much after a loss, which it doesn't necessarily. That's up to you and your man-management.

As for point 1. I see a lot of ebb and flow during games, both IRL and on FM. I see a good start from my own team and I see them "looking calm". During the game, I see the other team with a good spell and after a while they're "looking anxious". I see the referee blow for a foul, which my player protests against and now I see them "looking frustrated" and "looking angry". They're not emotionless robots. They are reacting to what is happening in the game.

That is what I see. I didn't want to type that, since I have no expertise on the emotions of professional footballers during a game, but you forced me to address your point and now I did. I see no problem with it.

I just had my midfielder (long shots 8, technique 7, composure 6 and decisions 7) score a rocket of a 30-35 yard shot. Who says it doesn't happen? :)

That said, I'm sure that jinxed me for the rest of the season. At least.

Apologies if it has been mentioned, but is there a known issue with receiving transfer bids way below the valuation of the player? Getting bids of £80k for players who are valued at £200k or more (and aren't even listed for sale). Just a bit annoying.

Apologies if it has been mentioned, but is there a known issue with receiving transfer bids way below the valuation of the player? Getting bids of £80k for players who are valued at £200k or more (and aren't even listed for sale). Just a bit annoying.

Every time I've received low-ball bids, I've negotiated them and eventually received either good deals or the team withdraws. Have you tried negotiating?

Seems to be the norm, don't know if it's an issue but a few peeps have mentioned it, just trying to get at your player and make him get itchy feet.

I've gotten the right cash for the players I've sold, so that isn't a problem.

these mistakes are starting to do my head in.

long ball from opposition area, lands at the feet of thier winger 10 yards behind last defender (ay?) keeper tackles, ball trickles into space keeper stands thier and thier player scores a tap in.

it is very hard to "manage" when 90% of the goals conceded are from mistakes that are a complete nonesence.

I have had corners set to mixed, changed it to aim for near post... and they corners are still being hit as if it were mixed.

tackles on the visuals make no sence, players sliding in from all angles, fair tackle, yet the next one is a booking, everything looks the same.

Yes, I mentioned the same earlier. I have a bid of £140k or something equally as ludicrous for a player valued at over £600k. It wasn't an isolated incident either. I have no issue with a bid under value but not when it is non sensical.

Originally you made 2 points. I adressed one of those. You said that morale drops way too much after a loss, which it doesn't necessarily. That's up to you and your man-management.

I think at times it can extremely sensitive though. I recently went on an eight-game unbeaten streak with Salisbury (tipped to finish mid-table) to get us to second. We then lost a tough away game at title fancies Luton, a game in which we had the better chances, so I said "i'm not too concerned about the result, we were unlucky" at the end of the match. We were still in the playoff spots anyway.

For the next few days the squad all dropped to "okay" and a couple to "poor", and it stayed that way until we won the next match, seven days later. I can imagine the players may suffer an immediate morale drop after the match, as we hadn't lost in a while, but that it would pick up during the week given our overall form and table position. But it went down and stayed down.

Obviously my man-management, but the game isn't exactly giving me any cast iron clues on what I've done wrong there either.

Training is average.

They aren't injury prone.

If nobody else is having issues with it then I guess I've just had some horrendous luck lately.

No I'm with you on this one. People didn't seem to want to comment on it when I brought it up. Ever since the patch, a) injuries have definitely increased, and b) the injuries seem far too severe. Torn hamstrings are popular, as well as angle ligament damage and lower back stress fractures. No dead legs, or 'facial injuries' (what even are they?!). It seems too harsh to me.

No I'm with you on this one. People didn't seem to want to comment on it when I brought it up. Ever since the patch, a) injuries have definitely increased, and b) the injuries seem far too severe. Torn hamstrings are popular, as well as angle ligament damage and lower back stress fractures. No dead legs, or 'facial injuries' (what even are they?!). It seems too harsh to me.

this I prefer lot of minor ones than all of them out for 1plus months that like 3-4 games when the other option make you rotate more and more concern of the condition than you know that it always a month plus injury no matter what

I am having great success with this tactic at the moment.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380012-FM14-(14.2.0)-The-Triad-(4-2-3-1)-Promoted-first-season-with-Doncaster-Great-GD!

The opposition goalkeeper has gifted me two goals in 3 matches but the fun has returned. The patch def needs fine tuning. I am sure it will be awesome in March.

I think at times it can extremely sensitive though. I recently went on an eight-game unbeaten streak with Salisbury (tipped to finish mid-table) to get us to second. We then lost a tough away game at title fancies Luton, a game in which we had the better chances, so I said "i'm not too concerned about the result, we were unlucky" at the end of the match. We were still in the playoff spots anyway.

For the next few days the squad all dropped to "okay" and a couple to "poor", and it stayed that way until we won the next match, seven days later. I can imagine the players may suffer an immediate morale drop after the match, as we hadn't lost in a while, but that it would pick up during the week given our overall form and table position. But it went down and stayed down.

Obviously my man-management, but the game isn't exactly giving me any cast iron clues on what I've done wrong there either.

What was your pre-match talk? That's where you set you expectations for the match.

Has anyone seen a missed penalty (outwith shoot-outs) since the last update? Every one I've seen since, for and against, has been scored.

Yeah and lucky me it was my player who missed :lol:, the culprit being Ozil. Went on to win the game so i didn't work up too much of a rage. I've never, in any patch, had my keeper save a penalty on FM14 (outside of a shoot out).

The amount of unhappy people is amazing. Only the SI and SI-Lovers try to deny the evidence. The FM2014 is a disaster. The game engine is an agony.

But as the SI already have money can calmly say that "there are no plans to change the ME".

Ridiculous.

PS: Yes, I know who does not like the game since year only because it is "bad manager". lol

Quite honestly IMO.

SI set out to make as realistic simulation of football as they can, this means no rubber banding, no difficulty levels and no difference to the ME whether the inputs/instructions come from an AI or human manager.

The people that are unhappy for the most part fall into certain categories:

A) Those are that used to winning in previous versions by exploiting the game and are unhappy SI have closed a lot of loopholes putting the human manager on a more even playing field with the AI managers.

B) Those with unrealistic expectations, basically they think they know more about football than they do. They are now finding FM much more difficult and are complaining that the ME etc is at fault rather than their own knowledge.

C) Those that struggle to convert their ideas into "FM Speak", they think they've inputted them correctly but for various reasons how FM views their inputs is different from the user's ideas. FM is partly at fault here for not being clear enough with what does what.

D) Those that simply aren't happy unless they are winning.

I know this is supposed to be just a feedback thread, but I would like to say a huge thank you to SI for the hotfix. I primarily just play journeyman type saves, and the previous issue was kind of a gamebreaker for me, so thank you very much for bringing this hotfix out!

Quite honestly IMO.

SI set out to make as realistic simulation of football as they can, this means no rubber banding, no difficulty levels and no difference to the ME whether the inputs/instructions come from an AI or human manager.

The people that are unhappy for the most part fall into certain categories:

A) Those are that used to winning in previous versions by exploiting the game and are unhappy SI have closed a lot of loopholes putting the human manager on a more even playing field with the AI managers.

B) Those with unrealistic expectations, basically they think they know more about football than they do. They are now finding FM much more difficult and are complaining that the ME etc is at fault rather than their own knowledge.

C) Those that struggle to convert their ideas into "FM Speak", they think they've inputted them correctly but for various reasons how FM views their inputs is different from the user's ideas. FM is partly at fault here for not being clear enough with what does what.

D) Those that simply aren't happy unless they are winning.

friend

From the time when the start of the second game players who play the ball, collide against one another ...

From the moment a central delays the ball head from the midfield and GR can not catch the ball with their hands ...

From the moment there are 30 balls per game to the posts ...

From the moment in which every 2 games, there is one goal of a wrong delay protection ...

Etc, Etc, Etc

Have patience, but it is the fault of the SI.

I do not understand football more or less than you. Realize is FM. And I follow the game from the "Championship Manager" and, for me and for many people, this version is the worst ever.

PS: Excuse my English.

Hold your horses though, I've just loaded up my journeyman 'template' where I saved the game immediately after loading all the leagues I want. Just applied for 36 jobs (ranging from big clubs to small amateur European sides), and was unsuccessful in all of them. Unless it's not as 'save game compatible' as they thought.

Archived