FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got asked a press conference question about if I intend to sell a player I sold about a month ago.

Not uploading a save, thats your job. FM has been one of the UK's biggest selling games for ages, don't give me the "team is too small" nonsense.

Everything outside the ME is great. Interactions especially are spot on and im glad to see sensible responses to team talks. However the ME itself does need work in 3 key areas.

1. Ball awareness. The game feels like its being played on tracks and as a consequence players cant react dynamically to the ball

2. Shooting and decisions are pretty poor. Players are wasting way too many shots in almost open goal situations.

3. Defending. This very much ties into ball awareness, however a possible bug noted was players pausing a second or two after successfully completing a slide tackle.

I really hope SI nail these before full release. I felt shooting was perfect in last patch of FM13 and that took a few months to iron out. If in doubt is it possible to introduce elements of that code into FM 14, because right now this is the major game breaker for me

Let me first say I tried search and that I love that the graph is now blown up big time on the comparison screen.

Does anyone have a reference to what attributes go towards what corner of the graph? Some are obvious than others, but, for instance, what attributes get counted towards the Attacking corner? Are they weighted at all?

Once I figured out that the Creativity corner seems to be the average of Creativity and Flair, I was going to set out to figure them all out myself, but thought I might be able to save time by asking here.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: maybe it's tied to the columns in the views, minus the separate corners. (i.e. the Physical corner is the average of all the columns in the Physical view, minus Pace and Acceleration?

The funniest thing I've ever seen in a FM match just happened.

(drums please)

My team had to play an away game. The enemy team started with the kickoff. One of the players INJURED HIMSELF IN THAT KICKOFF. Best thing ever, dude actually managed to get injured because of a 1.5 meter pass.

The funniest thing I've ever seen in a FM match just happened.

(drums please)

My team had to play an away game. The enemy team started with the kickoff. One of the players INJURED HIMSELF IN THAT KICKOFF. Best thing ever, dude actually managed to get injured because of a 1.5 meter pass.

Also seen this happen and had one player slide tackle his own team mate from a kickoff. Funtimes.

Think I asked this earlier but no-one answered. On the training screen, where the pie chart shows where you have spent your time in training, what time period does this refer to? Is it since the start of pre-season? In the last calendar year? It can't be "ever" - because as you can see the pie chart has 0% entries and I have trained my players in every area at different times. Anyone know?

My apologies if this has been mentioned previously. I have a very difficult time reading the players names on the pitch due to the font color. Is there a way to fix this?

I would like to know if this is possible?

I have played the beta version of fm 14 now for a couple of days now.. i really like some new details in the game :), but there are also some issues that really disappoint me right now :(, which i hope will be improved before the game will be officially released.. i started my game with PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch league. The first problem is that some players are really underrated and others are really overrated. There are some players, for example Memphis Depay, that in the game is at the reserves with quiet low ratings on his attributes, but in reality he is a first 11 player and just made his 1st appearance in the Dutch national squad. And than there is Bakkali, a 17 year old talent, that, in reality, is wanted by a lot of European topclubs, but in the game he has low attributes, while in reality he is a first 11 player and also just made his 1st appearance for his national team (Belgium). Than some issues with the defenders.. how is it possible that Maikel Verkoelen has better or like attributes as Jeffrey Bruma and Karim Rekik? Verkoelen has never played 1 match for the 1st team, and in the game he starts in the head squad, while in reality he is playing for the reserve team, while Jorrit Hendrikx actually has played a lot of matches for the 1st team and in the game his numbers a really bad and he is at the reserves. Than not to mention that Bruma has played for Chelsea and Hamburg SV and plays for the Dutch national team again, and Rekik came from Man City, and has been 1 of the most important players at PSV till his injury this season, and he is about to be called up for the national squad as well.. and than in the game he has worse numbers than Verkoelen??? Unrealistic! As well in reality Luciano Narsingh has just had a serious knee injury, been out for about 8 or 9 months, just started to play again at the reserves to gain match fitness, but in the game, when i started in july he wasnt injured at all, while in reality he was defenitely injured... Than there is 1 more thing, the staff... i started the game with 1 assistant that in reality is not the assistant at PSV, but the real assistants (Ernest Faber & Chris van den Weerden) are just coaches in the game with horrible ratings at their attributes.. I really hope these issues will be updated because this seems very unrealistic how it looks now, i feel like playing with a fantasy team. So please take a better look at the attributes of players and compare it to how they do in reality.. there is a huge difference! Is there anybody else experiencing these kind of issues??

looks like because it's a new addition it's been given precedence over the actual gameplay and screenflow.

- The decision to have the report stars (rating) in one place for AI managed teams and another for human managed teams is a strange one, again a gameplay/screenflow issue

- I'm personally in two minds with more information in the inbox I think it's a nice idea but at times it results in a cluttered screen (especially when zoomed in) with too many options and leaves me reverting back to the old way of having the contract and transfer offers separate screens open.

Hi to all,

I see there is a new training schedule for FM14. There are now pie charts showing you percentages for the areas worked. There are like 6 or 7 areas to work on like fitness, ball control etc. Should they all be at 100% or is there a recommended percentage they should all be at. I'm struggling to achieve over 60% fitness whilst also working on other areas. If i don't work on the other areas the percentage drops for them if i was for e.g. working on fitness and ball control only. I was not able to be at 100% fitness for my first league game.

Would like to read your feedback.

cheers

FM Fan

Everything outside the ME is great. Interactions especially are spot on and im glad to see sensible responses to team talks. However the ME itself does need work in 3 key areas.

1. Ball awareness. The game feels like its being played on tracks and as a consequence players cant react dynamically to the ball

2. Shooting and decisions are pretty poor. Players are wasting way too many shots in almost open goal situations.

3. Defending. This very much ties into ball awareness, however a possible bug noted was players pausing a second or two after successfully completing a slide tackle.

I really hope SI nail these before full release. I felt shooting was perfect in last patch of FM13 and that took a few months to iron out. If in doubt is it possible to introduce elements of that code into FM 14, because right now this is the major game breaker for me

At least they all balance themselves kind of alright at the moment, imagine strikers where alot better and defenders the same or vice versa

Attackers can't score, defenders can't defend.

The only thing that's really doing a great job is the woodwork. I just played a promotion series, lost 2-0 first game, won 2-0 2nd game but lost in overtime. Good thing we hit the woodwork 4 ****ing times, not even those ******** fluke crosses that never happen irl. I am talking about 100% chances that are harder to hit the post with than to score. Worst thing is that isn't even because of the beta, that's just horrible understanding of reality. Oh well some things never change.

Thanks for all the feedback so far folks!

In terms of the ME I can tell you plenty of fixes have gone in since this beta build. A few updates covering some points made in here:

- Tackle count. Yes the count does look quite high, but we are not 100% sure how eg Opta count a tackle vs the way we do. We are nonetheless working on this area as an ongoing task.

- Defending. Main other issue is the "turning backs" one, which has been fixed in the main since this beta build. Kind of relates to tackle count of course as better positioning means better decisions in theory.

- Goal count. We are aware its too high in some leagues and believe it should be a bit better by release. My benchmark is around 2.6 per game rising towards 3 as we go down the levels.

- Finishing. Some tweaks have been made since your build.

- Match player ratings. We plan to fine tune this for release and beyond if required.

- Tactics. We are delighted at the general response to the changes in this area! :-)

The whole ME is always a work in progress. We find this beta process very helpful in terms of ironing out the biggest issues for release but even at release we dont stop we will continue to try to fix and improve over the coming months as required. Please don't hesitate to log key examples in the bugs forum as it really does help us to give you a better FM experience.

Cheers,

Paul

Why? I believe the opposite is true irl, goal averages tend to increase at higher levels partly as a function of the greater disparity between teams. Obviously in the Segunda Liga you don't get a Barcelona or Real Madrid regularly tonking teams and inflating the league goal average.

getitng annoyed.

3-3 draw against west ham, concede to a penalty which was Fellaini clearing the ball with a header in the air, a direct free kick. while my players are smashing the bar.

defenders dont tackle, midfielders just trot around like berbatov instead of contesting high up the pitch as well, next they start tackling everything.

defenders keep passing backwards, halfway up the pitch, outside thier area, always backwards. keep losing possesion because of backpasses from the halfway line which the keeper keeps hoofing.

and why does it show me opposition condition, and not my teams.

and you think the number of goals is a problem?

these upsets and shock results keep happening. 5 games in, Fulham are 4th, Barcelona are 7th

and you get results like this, it is no wonder.

E870AC0BA66E16211F351DBC0E777196E75F9871

that is Luxembourgs 5th point in thier group.

84B2118F15837B508B7627AF06BA9530B401E039

and my scout is in Scotland, this player he found is at Chelsea.

84B2118F15837B508B7627AF06BA9530B401E039

and my scout is in Scotland, this player he found is at Chelsea.

"following a previous spell in England" "Lawlor has only started this assignment" This is probably his first report since finishing his assignment in England and moving to Scotland, and he found this player in the final few days of his assignment in England.

Scouts probably should send a report when an assignment is finished to avoid confusion.

This was not mentioned in the videoblogs or in the feedback (as far as I can tell). with the exception of 1 post which went un-responded:

I noticed during a game saving that the tips scrollbar mentioned "forward arrows" on the tactics board !!!!!!!. Apart from not seeing this at all in game it is a feature that has been much requested and equally much slated over the years, leading to its removal, so can anyone clarify what the message meant? Am assuming the message was a bug but cannot believe that to be so.

Im playing FMC but imagine it is the same for all modes.

1. Does anyone notice that almost all all young generated MC players hav every low attributes for tackling&marking? Usuallly around 10 for passing, technique, pace etc, then <3 for marking, tackling, stamina etc.

2. How cann I get Fm to remeber the view I select? On my monitor the column woth players names is very wide, pushing everyting omn the right side of it away. Of course I change the width of the column, but next time I enter that screen it has reverted back to default settings

3. In FM13 the filter options in the squad screen could be permanantly displayed, in FM14 the filters disappear as soon as I click anything else

Can anyone confirm exactly how testimonials work (I appreciate you have to be asked to partake in one and it hasn't happened to me yet)? Can you invite guest players for your team?

(edit) If anyone knows of a surefire testimonial granting (SI must know?) please let me know so I can experiment myself. Am assuming this feature is in FMC otherwise I am stuffed!

Manager changes is what really bugs me (as it did last year).For example: Villas Boas did nothing with Spurs (got sacked) and was still number 1 candidate to land Liverpool job (after Rodgers got axed aswell).After he got sacked at Liverpool aswell he was named England coach after Ray failed at WC 2014.This was case from 2013 that really got me annoyed to no end.

And i thing the same is happening in this years version.Pellegrini got sacked and they hired back Mancini which would not happened anytimesoon.QPR after sacking of Warnock hired Redknapp again.While I got Sheff UTD promoted got decent cup runs and won Paint trophy.

I am not saying i should be considered for City job but a consideration from QPR would be nice.Maybe its becouse my start reputation was to semi-professional footballer but i think game should adjust a bit better to succeses or failures of managers and not just base top candidates to land the job solely on reputation they start with.

touchline camera still too far, and it wont let you zoom in close enough to see player names clearly, or get close to action from that particular camera view.

zoom level is not saved between matches.

please see if you can zoom in touchline camera even more, as well as fix the readability of match engine fonts, they are not increased with the interface 1.25x zoom setting

• SI Staff
Can anyone confirm exactly how testimonials work (I appreciate you have to be asked to partake in one and it hasn't happened to me yet)? Can you invite guest players for your team?
If you have a player who is eligible for a testimonial then you will get a news item about it. Then when arranging a friendly you will be able to select to count it as a Testimonial match, or you assistant will arrange one.

It is also possible for your club to be invited to take part in a testimonial for an opposition player. However only players in the current squad are able to feature in the match.

Cannot call this a bug as I suspect it is just "how the game works" but for over 10 years and all FM versions there is an issue that really annoys me. You can get singular manager sackings but generally several managers all get sacked on the same day. Understandable if end of season or end of World Cup tournament but not in the English Leagues (for example) the 2nd Wednesday in January. It really feels like the game says, "right it is the pre-set date now, who needs sacking?", which I have to assume IS how the game works.

Ryan Giggs has just taken over as PLAYER MANAGER at Man utd after Moyes was sacked at the end of the 1st season.....

really.....??

He's a united legend, and already a coach there... why would he not?

It's a game, with a thousand different things happening in each person's game... this happens to not be such a ridiculous one

Notable improvements at press conferences , lectures , structure / organization , transfers and contracts and the 3d engine is frankly better at a graphic level , movement of the players and more exciting than ever. To all these levels a great job :applause:

Now the reverse side of the coin :

Even considering being a Beta version, it seems unfortunate to present to the world a game with the status of FM with disabilities, technical mistakes , text errors ( spelling and translation - portuguese). Okay that with everyones contribution , reporting what is wrong , we all win, but frankly there are situations that creep from one year to the other, or at least in one year they are corrected and the following year are back.

I can , for example , understand that it is difficult to solve the problem of the B teams in the Portuguese league , but I think that is some kind of insulting even in a Beta version dealing with menus that do not work (tactics), being impossible to get a player on loan or to be confronted with bad translations .

Then we have the new tactical system (and no, I am not making a scene because of bad results): previously we would know the default instructions in a players role, now we have to guess it. Some how we are being told "ok, you are the managers but you can only tweak what WE (we, at SI) think you can tweak. I understand that many people had a lot of trouble dealing with the previous system and maybe SI thought that it would help ending it by not allowing a free customizing of the tactic. The idea seems good, the result... not so good or at least it needs a lot of improvement.

hmm i guess not - but does seem abit strange with all the good managers out there.

you are right about lots of random things happening in each persons game - I have had a lot of manager changes at the big clubs at the end of the 1st season

I just feel it would be good to have a bit more stablitly in that sence

Probably already been mentioned numerous times but for the last few years this has bugged me:

Squad view:

Sort by picked, shift sort by position - View how I like it.

Click on player. Click back.

View totally different.

Little thing but frustrating.

FM14 specifically

I set up my Reserves (now called U21) to play matches every 2 days so I can get my players fit between matches. Is it possible to get a news item before every game to ask me who to make available? It appears to just stop of matches whenever it likes and skip over others. Particularly frustrating in the off-season. Especially when players are tired and still being made available.

Which brings me on to the next issue: "Make available for reserves until match fit" Even after they're match fit they still appear available...

Which brings me on to the next issue: "Make available for reserves until match fit" Even after they're match fit they still appear available...

I haven tested this but it sounds like the option is working now how I thought it always should have, namely player selected for reserves until match fit but if match fitness drops below the set level again he is selected for the reserves again automatically. I feel it should be an ongoing instruction that the manager commences & ceases at will. If he is getting selected though with an 80+ (for example) match fitness rating then this would seem an issue.

I haven tested this but it sounds like the option is working now how I thought it always should have, namely player selected for reserves until match fit but if match fitness drops below the set level again he is selected for the reserves again automatically. I feel it should be an ongoing instruction that the manager commences & ceases at will. If he is getting selected though with an 80+ (for example) match fitness rating then this would seem an issue.

They remain available even when fully fit. The thing where it says available for U21 normally gets ticked too when you tick for fitness only.

Probably already been mentioned numerous times but for the last few years this has bugged me:

Squad view:

Sort by picked, shift sort by position - View how I like it.

Click on player. Click back.

View totally different.

Little thing but frustrating.

FM14 specifically

I set up my Reserves (now called U21) to play matches every 2 days so I can get my players fit between matches. Is it possible to get a news item before every game to ask me who to make available? It appears to just stop of matches whenever it likes and skip over others. Particularly frustrating in the off-season. Especially when players are tired and still being made available.

yea this irked me, a lot of columns are not saving view

After spending the weekend having a good season or two Im actually putting it away and awaiting the full game. The defending in the ME is starting to grate at me to the point im close to rage quit and i dont want to finish before ive even started. Ive seen enough good things in beta for me to to carry on with the full game but some elements of the ME really need sorting before I can really start to enjoy again.

To clarify:

AI going through the defence like a knife through butter

Defenders getting too high a rating even though on the pitch they look like they are playing in jelly

Keeper distribution is so very broke

Morale issues are still a problem, one loss and out come a plethora of red arrows

Too many players getting nervous for no reason (was 4-0 up and 4 players went to nervous!)

so glad to read this everything ive expericanced myself with toon in prem for 2 seasons now

players refuse to tackle....even using get stuck in. they just jiggle around the player with the ball. i dont think ive seen a slide tackle yet after 30 odd games. the only times they seem to win the ball back is by running in path of the ball to block it

Only just getting up to speed with this; is the plan to have a patch available for download on release day of FM14?

I've not pre-ordered this years instalment (usually do), but won't bother purchasing the game on release day as per usual, I'd rather wait until there is a patch released to fix the majority of the bugs.

Thanks.

Archived