FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive a few very strange red cards.

For example two players chasing a switched ball towards the right touchline. My player, slightly behind falls down. Opposing player sent off. I can only assume that it was an elbow or something but there was no commentary came up about it?

Has anyone worked out how the "encourage agent ownership" button works for a player? If I am targeting a signing I would rather not deal through an agent - or am I missing the point? Surely it doesn't refer to when an agent "owns" a player and leases him to clubs effectively (much as it was rumoured to have happened with Tevez a few years back)?

Giggs as player/manager doesnt sound that crazy. To put it in perspective: Antonio Valencia just got me 20 league goals in a season...now thats crazy!

Just shows how varied FM can be, in my game Man Utd finished the first season with one defeat, finished 18 points ahead of myself in second place and won the champions league. Moyes obviously won quite a few awards over the course of the season.

Giggs is touted as a possible next Man Utd manager in real life, so i dont really see the issue.

i haven't read through everything, but my main grievance at the moment is missing chances. 20-30 shots per game, 8-10 CCCs and im scoring 1 goal if im lucky with world class strikers. Been so impressed with the game in general, even the match play, but this is just getting frustrating.

Must be a nightmare for SI to balance this out, some people complaining there are not enough goals while others, myself included, say there are too many, I am guessing it is dependant on what league you are playing in.

I am also guessing the more save uploads SI receive the better chance they have of tackling the problem.

This might turn into a bit of a rant, but my early thoughts on the beta are that it's got a lot of the same problems as FM13.

Half the time, my players seem to utterly ignore my tactics. I started out playing wide, exploiting the flanks, and running at the opposition. So when we had the ball I expected us to play it out wide, have the wingers bring it forward, then cross it. But it just rarely happened. This is with Liverpool, and I signed Gaitan for the left wing and had Moses on the right, so that's two quick, good dribblers that were there to be used, but just weren't.

And some of the defending is just shambolic. It feels more like you're managing a group of people who've never played football in their life than supposed professionals. I get that even the best players make mistakes, but too often so far I've had pretty much all eleven players stand idly by as the opponents waltz past them.

The finishing isn't as bad, but I have seen some pretty strange misses. Suarez in particular, one of the best players in the world, seems to have little impact on games. I started with him as a false 9, but now have him as a complete forward. But he only has 1 goal all season. And he rarely affects the game in any way, whereas in real life even on his worst day he'll conjure up one chance or bit of magic.

Again just specific to Liverpool which has affected my game, Mignolet seems very poor. I think he's got an average of around 6.50 so far, playing every game. Not sure if it's just him, but he seems to get lobbed an awful lot. This was Sunderland's player of the year last year, who pretty much kept them in the league, and has made a very good start at Liverpool in real life.

And finally, I don't like the fact that certain games just seem to be ridiculously one sided. Away to Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea etc, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll have less than 40% possession and less than 5 shots. This was an issue for me in FM13 as well, and I tried any number of different tactics/formations etc to solve it, but it just seems that certain teams are scripted to dominate. If I was playing as a lower side I'd just say that's because they've got better players all over the park, but when I'm Liverpool, playing a standard formation with no contradicting tactics, it seems a bit harsh that I'm outplayed every time.

players refuse to tackle....even using get stuck in. they just jiggle around the player with the ball. i dont think ive seen a slide tackle yet after 30 odd games. the only times they seem to win the ball back is by running in path of the ball to block it

Have the same problem. PaulC made an interesting statement to that in this thread:

- Tackle count. Yes the count does look quite high, but we are not 100% sure how eg Opta count a tackle vs the way we do. We are nonetheless working on this area as an ongoing task.

I'm pretty pleased with this generally - it seems a lot slicker than previous versions in terms of undertaking the interactions and also the range of interactions you can have (e.g. a final word with a player you're selling is a nice touch).

My gripe is that I find it almost impossible to win away from home sometimes - this could be due to my tactics I guess, but it would seem slightly odd...

The goals thing is interesting too - as so many have said, the defence is horrifically porous at times, yet the strikers can be terrible! I think the numbers of goals are probably about right, but the way in which they're scored may not be.

Giggs as player/manager doesnt sound that crazy. To put it in perspective: Antonio Valencia just got me 20 league goals in a season...now thats crazy!

I am glad to see this happen, too many managerial roundabout appointments in FM13.

Good to see young coaches with a relationship with the club can be given the job

Must be a nightmare for SI to balance this out, some people complaining there are not enough goals while others, myself included, say there are too many, I am guessing it is dependant on what league you are playing in.

I am also guessing the more save uploads SI receive the better chance they have of tackling the problem.

The problem is, there are far too many CCC. The only solution is that SI has to reduce this. If all CCC are going in, we will have even more 6-5 or some 9-7 games. So they have to make the defense work, thats the key point. This is the only way to reduce the goals without even more people complaining about the missed chances. Lets hope they will do it.

As mentioned earlier, i really really like the new tactics. Its a great please to finally seamingless be able to configure a different playing style per. player in player instructions.

HOWEVER a humble request: when setting the player specific properties a pop-up appears with all the shouts. Can we please be allowed to move this box around as it keeps covering the player attribute profile also on the back page. This would hugely improve the usability when it comes to setting individual shouts if you can in fact see the attributes of the player.

Just shows how varied FM can be, in my game Man Utd finished the first season with one defeat, finished 18 points ahead of myself in second place and won the champions league. Moyes obviously won quite a few awards over the course of the season.

Giggs is touted as a possible next Man Utd manager in real life, so i dont really see the issue.

Did you mean to quote me? Someone implied Giggs being player manager wasn't possible, I think it is perfectly possible and certainly not an issue, hence why I said Giggs being player manager 'doesnt' sound that crazy.

Enjoying exploring FM Beta and trying to get to grips with changes before full release. I like the new training screen overview layout with pie charts etc but..

Is there a quick way of finding out who the 9 players currently shown as being unhappy by the pie chart are?

Looking good so far (mid Dec) but have a couple of things that need tweaking IMO

1.Sure to be mentioned before (no time to read 20 pages :D ) defenders condition goes down more than midfielders and forwards - gets to the point where they can't play 3 games in a row before you get a message saying they are exhausted an in need of a long rest (maybe it goes down a lot because they are tackling a lot more than other players?) - same problem for ball winning midfielder - sometimes down to 55% before HT

2.Other thing is job security - manager under pressure and facing the sack after 3 or 4 months? - I was 4th in the Conference South and lost to a lower league club in the FA Cup (rested a few players due to poor condition) - got a message saying I'd be sacked if I got a bad result in the next game (I have already reached the FA Cup progress target by winning first cup game)

Are things like settling in to a new club, assessing your squad and trying to improve it not taken into account by the board?

3. Can't seem to find the old player/team milestones tab before you start a game - maybe it only appears when there is a milestone?

4.Scouting - get a message saying scout has recently finished scouting England and will start to scout England (UK & Ireland search) - do I need to have all UK leagues selected for them to scout those leagues?

Apart from that I like it - playing commentary only and the Overview screen looks too busy IMO with about 12 panels - is there a way to customise it so there is about 4 panels? - BTW in cup matches the league table panel is replaced with a duplicate of the latest goals panel

5. Thought of another - got AM taking training and mid December my tactic familiarity is still around 50% - my players are all doing 33% balanced and 66% team cohesion -- is this a problem with the game or just a useless AM?

Enjoying exploring FM Beta and trying to get to grips with changes before full release. I like the new training screen overview layout with pie charts etc but..

Is there a quick way of finding out who the 9 players currently shown as being unhappy by the pie chart are?

Yeh Id like to know this too, I have one unhappy player and expected to just be able to click to see who it is. Instead it looks like I have to look through each player.

Someone implied Giggs being player manager wasn't possible, I think it is perfectly possible and certainly not an issue, hence why I said Giggs being player manager 'doesnt' sound that crazy

Agree that it's not impossible - Giggsy still has the freaky fitness he's always had so can carry on playing next season and the even one more if he wants to and IMO WILL be the next United manager - (been groomed more than a 12 year old at a BBC Christmas party :D ) - certainly a possibility in the game but doubtful IRL - not sure if a dual role is even likely given the amount off work needed at a top club as a manager and a player (maybe someone can get away with it at a lower level though)

So the question I have is does the game combine the actual workload of a player manager or does it treat each role separately without a knock on effect impacting both roles?

players refuse to tackle....even using get stuck in. they just jiggle around the player with the ball. i dont think ive seen a slide tackle yet after 30 odd games. the only times they seem to win the ball back is by running in path of the ball to block it

I've seen lots of slide tackles, moreso than in last year's game, including a vicious two footed lunge by one of my players which resuulted in a straight red card!

The match info window (like stats, body language) positions keep resetting for me every match or if I make a tactical change. Playing in windowed mode. Is this happening for anyone else? A bit tiresome having to move the windows every time. Maybe a known bug?

The match info window (like stats, body language) positions keep resetting for me every match or if I make a tactical change. Playing in windowed mode. Is this happening for anyone else? A bit tiresome having to move the windows every time. Maybe a known bug?

It's a known bug. But yes, it's ridiculously annoying.

Playing as Borussia Dortmund, and Robert Lewandowski is automatically set to leave for Bayern Munich in January 2014. That was just a rumour, his agent has come out and said he never signed with Bayern, so that needs to be changed. Apart from that, fantastic game!

Playing as Borussia Dortmund, and Robert Lewandowski is automatically set to leave for Bayern Munich in January 2014. That was just a rumour, his agent has come out and said he never signed with Bayern, so that needs to be changed. Apart from that, fantastic game!

+1000000.

• SI Staff
Think I asked this earlier but no-one answered. On the training screen, where the pie chart shows where you have spent your time in training, what time period does this refer to? Is it since the start of pre-season? In the last calendar year? It can't be "ever" - because as you can see the pie chart has 0% entries and I have trained my players in every area at different times. Anyone know?

The pie chart displays the training split from the training taken in the last year (the last 12 months).

• SI Staff
Hi to all,

I see there is a new training schedule for FM14. There are now pie charts showing you percentages for the areas worked. There are like 6 or 7 areas to work on like fitness, ball control etc. Should they all be at 100% or is there a recommended percentage they should all be at. I'm struggling to achieve over 60% fitness whilst also working on other areas. If i don't work on the other areas the percentage drops for them if i was for e.g. working on fitness and ball control only. I was not able to be at 100% fitness for my first league game.

Would like to read your feedback.

cheers

FM Fan

The pie charts show what areas you have spent time training on in the last 12 months. So you cannot get all the areas to 100% naturally. These charts were put in place to help you plan your training as you can see what you have been focusing on already in the past.

Since I have been asked to ask my question here....

Can we finally manage the B teams in Spain like Reserve teams in other leagues meaning:

-being able to ask the team to use 1st team tactics

-being able to make backup players from the A team available for B team games?

-must be other differences between La Liga and other leagues in previous FM's but these are the most crucial as far as I am concerned in order to develop players from the B team properly...

Thanks!

RE Miles question on Twitter:

"Over 600 bugs fixed since the #FM14beta came out. My question for you is should we release an update for the beta?"

I am guessing that is a rhetorical question :)

Either that or Miles has had his Twitter account hacked and someone is taking the ****! ;)

Sacked at the start of Jan when 7th in the Conference South because I was on holiday and didn't attend a board meeting to discuss my poor performance???

Really need a "return from holiday for board meeting" added to the holiday menu - VITAL

Surely going on holiday in the middle of the season, whilst on a poor run, is a sackable offence on its own? Never mind missing a meeting.

RE Miles question on Twitter:

"Over 600 bugs fixed since the #FM14beta came out. My question for you is should we release an update for the beta?"

Yes, please!

Why does he feel the need to wind us up? Just do it now or don't mention it. After the PR disaster of getting celebs and footballers to tweet about how great their preview copies were this is another kick in the stones for the paying customers.

I love the game and i'm happy to wait for a patch when its ready but hate these patronising tweets.

Why does he feel the need to wind us up? Just do it now or don't mention it. After the PR disaster of getting celebs and footballers to tweet about how great their preview copies were this is another kick in the stones for the paying customers.

I love the game and i'm happy to wait for a patch when its ready but hate these patronising tweets.

What PR disaster? I think you will find the anger was limited to a very small number of forum posters.

Getting really annoying now. Goalkeeper distribution if awful as well as the finishing. Never been so frustrated playing FM.

It is a Beta, and these things have been logged.

If you go and look at the Bugs forum, it is actually quite reassuring to see:

1. Relatively few bugs logged

2. Most bug threads already responded to directly by SI

3. Lots of bugs already known to SI before being posted there

So I bought the game yesterday and immediately started to play the beta. I must say it feels a lot better than FM13 imo, and the defenses seem generally more composed this time around..

I have one little quirk though, and I am not sure if it's due to my tactic or some sort of issue with the beta.

I have told my goalkeeper to play it short and also play it to my Left Back. But despite the left back being open almost all the time, he disregards his instructions and only hoofs it up the field causing a ridiculous amount of his passes to return straight to the opposition again.

I have checked if my LB isn't covered, but he is almost always open for a pass. And my left back is a limited FB, so he shouldn't be up the field every time he should be getting the ball.

Here are some screenies of his passing in a game where I (AZ) lost 1-3 to Stuttgart, and the big part of the loss was my goalie being stupid with the ball.

Completed passes: The vast majority of these are ranged hoofs, and his completion ratio is 46/20

46dc02fd529cc970d5862a60342d7545.pngd509d70f5f4bd055e4bdeecd93b5f0eb.png

Uncompleted Passes: And here are the 26(!) missed passes. And the vast majority of them are hoofed right up field straight onto the head of a Stuttgart player.

Player Instructions: And here are the instructions. I have told him to play it short and to my LB, but sadly enough 99% of the time he ignores it.

1f7f8be48c153964b02b23db9403b8c5.png

Sooo, is this a beta quirk or maybe something I am doing wrong? Would love it if my goalie would listen to me and just play it to the left back... or other defenders, instead of aiming it at their defenders...

Archived