Future Stadium names = Districts

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a great idea - It's details like this that have put FM streets ahead of everything else in the past.

how difficult would it be to implement? Does anyone think it could sneak into FM09?!

It won't be in 09, as the stuff going on on that will be mainly tidying up rather than new features. There wouldn't be time to make sure it didn't have all kinds of unwanted consequences. Having said that, it should be extremely easy to add, I imagine. Hopefully this is being read and it has a chance of making it into 10.

The researchers could submit suitable names, so inappropriate ones would not happen.

I'm expecting to be bombarded with examples now, but how many stadia are named after managers or players in real life? I can think of the Guiseppe Meazza (and that is still known as the San Siro) but no others off the top of my head.

the santiago bernabeau (reals stadium)

he was an old player for them i saw it on a prgramme on sky sports a while back

I love the idea of Man. United changing Old Trafford to 'The O'Shea Stadium'. To be honest, this is something that needs to happen in real life. And it's about time there was a statue!

So you think they should name a stadium after the Man United's and the Premierships, possibly the worlds, worst footballer!

How we all have short memories! Seeing as in-game advertising has been announced, I'd say its extremely likely that new stadiums in-game will end up as "The Nike Arena" and the like. There's already a 'local media' part thats getting expanded on... you could even use that for 'local businesses', worth a few more quid to SI in advertising and increases realism.

The main thing that I think needs dealt with is foreign language versions of it. Surely its not *that* hard to make it that in a country where Spanish is the language, its Estadio, and French its Stade. Kinda kills realism when you look through your fixture list... San Siro, Artemio Franchi, Delle Alpi... Torino Stadium.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found this thread when I was about to make a new one concerning weird stadium names. Glad I did, cause I really like this idea.

If done only with a little bit of thought it will surely be better than some of the stadium names i have found in my long term games:

Was just browsing through the Spanish Primera Division and found that Real Madrid play in the "Schuster Arena" (built in 2022, ironically still smaller than Barcelona's Camp Nou with 97930 seates compared to 98000 - Schuster did deserve it in a way, because he made them champions 13 times in a row (!) ).

And Villareal play in a 32000 seater Stadium since 2019 which is named "Riquelme Park".

So you think they should name a stadium after the Man United's and the Premierships, possibly the worlds, worst footballer!

That's it. We must duel to the death.

Did you notice that Henry did not beat O'Shea once all night during the final? He only got near the area on a fast-break when O'Shea was up the pitch.

O'Shea isn't Jesus, he's better , he is the world-tree of Norse mythology, he is Zeus, he is Amun-Ra, he caused the Big Bang "cos he was bored" he is the Alpha and Omega but also the letters in between, he slays dragons.

On a serious (albeit still off-topic) note - he's actually the main difference between united and their competitors. All Liverpool's squad players are failed first-teamers who haven't been there long and will leave soon.

Having a settled group of subs who slot perfectly into the system, like O'Shea and Fletcher, is a great advantage.

Oh, and the stadium idea's solid gold: not too hard to implement, but perfect for immersion.

• 3 months later...

This is a very good idea, but I'd like to take it one step further.

On ground improvements, would it be possible to store the names of the stands?

At the moment you get a random message something like "The South/West/East/North Stand capacity has been increased by x"

It would feel so much more realistic if the names of each stand for every stadium were stored in the game, so when Villa Park gets increased the message would read something like "The Holte End capacity has been increased by 4000".

I think it would add so much more to the game, and the success would be far more satisfactory when you could see the club grow realistically like this.

This could be taken a step further by having the researchers for each club look into exactly which stand would be the ideal candidate for improvement, and what the grounds maximum capacity could be before deciding on moving to a whole new stadium. The game would then use building steps…

Using Villa Park as an example, the first step would be the demolishing of the North Stand and rebuilding it. The North stand is outdated and currently holds about 7000. It would mean a reduced capacity to 35000 for say about a year, and the new North Stand (which could be renamed – its normally the stands that are named after players, not stadiums) would have a capacity of 15000 taking the ground capacity up to 50000.

The only further upgrades then would be to fill the corners between the stands, until reaching a maximum capacity of around 58000.

Im sure this wouldn’t be very difficult to implement and its only text based so wont take up much memory either.

I would half like to see ground sponsors throwing names into the hat as well, with new stadiums its becoming far more common, and it is a bit hard to believe that sponsors who are stumping up £300m for my new stadium over the next 30 years would be happy with it being called "Sant Park" to be honest, I'm not even happy with that name it sounds terrible lol.

In my career game I have noticed that Tottenham are about to move into the originally named "Tottenham Stadium", Chelsea into "Zola Park". Both I think unlikely. Not many new stadiums are named after players or clubs.

Perhaps we could have a new field in the database of areas/districts in cities. Take the case of my team Southampton. We moved from The Dell back to our roots in the St Marys area of the city. So perhaps within the database each club could have districts/areas of the city they are in listed for potential stadium names.

For example

City = Southampton

Districts = St Marys, Bitterne Park, Weston, Northam, Millbrook, Woolston, St Denys, Bevois Valley, Portswood, Shirley, Lordshill, Sholing, Harefield, Freemantle, Swaythling, Bassett, Coxford

Then for any new future stadium for Southampton you mights get a name using these sub areas. I'd be far happier with the game naming a new stadium with these district names than having a Le Tissier Park stadium. Obviously for towns/cities with more than one team you have to choose suitable district for each club, i.e. spilt Manchester/Liverpool/London/Birmingham into main areas for each club.

It would be like the club relocated to a different area of the city and would be a nice touch I think :)

Southampton has a district called Shirley ? :D

Love the idea mind....

Great idea. As with everyone else it gets so frustrating when after seasons of requesting expansion the board finally announce a move to a new ground, you cross your fingers (and everything else) that you achieve the holy grail of a stadium named after you, only to find you're moving to "Farsley Stadium".

Regions, chairmen, areas, roads, tube stations, folklore, proper legendary players, achievements, and many more bases for naming grounds could be used and would improve the current setup - In fact i cant think of any club that actually has its ground called "*club name* park/stadium/arena/ground"

I think it's a good idea however I believe it will make the database unnecessary big. I mean several suggestions for each team is a lot of data for quite a small feature.

I doubt it to be honest - considering that each person playing the game is likely to get perhaps one stadium move for each club, there's no need to put 8 suggestions in for each and every club.

Perhaps 1-3 is more realistic, with 3 suggestions only provided for the bigger clubs that people play more often, and so will need more names not to be constantly repeating itself. Anyway, it's hardly likely that a few characters of text per club are going to make even the slightest difference to the game size given the amount of data that's already rammed into it in the first place.

In fact i cant think of any club that actually has its ground called "*club name* park/stadium/arena/ground"

I can - at the moment, Cardiff play in the "Cardiff City Stadium". Also, St. Mirren play at "St. Mirren Park".

Other than that, there are no other examples I can think of. :)

Sounds like a great idea, however - it's galling to have a new stadium only for it to be called something ridiculous like "Portsmouth Park".

The researchers could submit suitable names, so inappropriate ones would not happen.

I'm expecting to be bombarded with examples now, but how many stadia are named after managers or players in real life? I can think of the Guiseppe Meazza (and that is still known as the San Siro) but no others off the top of my head.

Santiago Bernabeu was a Real Madrid player a long time ago ;).

There's quite a number of stadiums named after players in Italy.

I think a general field for new stadium names would be great.

For example for Lincoln you could have entries for Imps, Brayford, John Reames etc and then they could be randomly matched up with Stadium, Park, Ground etc.

That would be spot on!

Good idea, more realistic IMO.

JunXS's idea about the stands is good too, and i'd suggest name the newly built stand after me if I become an icon or legend of the club (some legend who don't have a stand named after now if I am not).

This is what happed in real life.

Could name stadium stands in England after club legends, and say stadiums in Italy after Chairmen etc. There can be in-game messages of various names being brought up and polled by supporters. Manager might be asked for his opinion by the press. Of course, the decision lies with the board.

• 5 months later...

I'd also suggest that individual stand names could be better named.

I got my ground expanded and it said the "North Stand" would be temporarily closed. I don't have a "North Stand"

So my suggestions would be that the stands of existing grounds are named properly, and that any new stadiums have their stands named after legendary figures.

This is one of the best and simplest ideas on the forum. I can't believe SI haven't put this is - it can't be hard to do and would increase the realism so much. SI - what are you doing!?

I love the idea of being names after districts or streets but also on the odd occasion after a president or chairman of the club as this is also done. However for the managers that really do excel, they should be able to have a stadium named after them (Dafuge - Im looking at you!) however, I know that a lot of people don't like this and so a email of consent in your inbox would be good - I doubt that a club would build a stadium named after a manager without consulting him first on it - it would be a bit of a shock.

Another idea I personally would be happy with is stadiums with sponsorship deals. This would again increase the realism of FM a LOT, but also give SI a little bit more in their pockets - win/win? A great example of this is Arsenal's Ashburton Grove - here it uses the name of a part of a district in London, however it has a sponsorship deal - The Emirates Stadium.

"The ...... board have today announced that the club have been granted planning permission to build a new stadium.

Construction of the (whatever district) Stadium/Arena/Whatever will cost around £100m. This figure will be offset by the £8m the club will recieve from selling off (old stadium).

Additonal funding for the stadium has been secure with a sponsorship deal for £60m. Therefore the Stadium will be known as the Sega Stadium."

Archived