*Official* Football Manager 2013 Announced!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because no-one would know mate, all the people have as much information as you and I.

And as an earlier poster mentioned, Beta Testers are probably locked into some agreement not being able to talk about the game or along those lines in depth.

On resources, SI have more programmers then ever before I think? Surely gives them more wiggle room in this department on what to develop.

Ok, let's say that beta-testers can't talk for the reasons you and someone else said, but what about Miles and the game coders? As I said I don't care about the much hyped 900 (900? why not 1666?) new features but I would be interested to know if they solved the old and annoying issues.

It would be fair to talk about these things, a sign of respect for their old and loyal customers.

Must be old screenshots as Deeney is IRL in the clink.

I am one of the people who doesn't have the time to be able to play the full game. I tend to give up playing the game after 4 or 5 months and only play 1 or 2 seasons as these days FM is too much grinding. So I'd love to try out FMC.

Perhaps in the future SI can make FMC configurable so people can enable or disable the FMC modules as they want on creation of the game. So if we still enjoy the training but can't stand media interation or press conferences we can enable the FMC module for media and disable it for training.

Hopefully there will be 2 demos released one with the normal career mode and one with FMC so that I can give that a try to see if it would be OK for me to use before buying the game.

Also note that's only if you want to manage a National team right from the start of the game by the looks of it.

Why not just allow the player to manage a national team from the start. This is just greed if you ask me. I really dislike the idea of paying for functionality that is already in the game.

People need to realise that this game's existence is not a right but a privilege. They have created these features as their market research says it will help them sell more games. Selling more games means hiring more staff, which means each year's game can both exist and improve upon the previous one. Just because you won't use it doesn't mean you can claim it will flop, as frankly you clearly know nothing about the modern game market. I personally won't use the micro-transactions or classic mode, but they WOULD NOT INTRODUCE THESE FEATURES UNLESS THE RESEARCH SUPPORTED THEM. They are a business who needs to make money to stay afloat, so stop whining and appreciate that another version of this game is coming out at all.

Also, they don't care about people whining on this forum as they know only the very hardcore players come on here and they know nothing is ever good enough for them. For 99% of the people who play Football Manager (and incidentally don't sit on forums) these features have gone down well. You all need to get some perspective.

I have to say as someone that has played since CM2 the unlockables concern me. I know that it is only optional in Classic for (FM13) but i know how these things work.

Put it in as an option for FM13 and with every subseqent version move it more to mainstream.

SI should note that this is the reason i didnt renew FML because you couldnt do the things that you should be able to without playing the game for 4 months to unlock it.

Apart from that the rest sounds good. As someone that plays in one of the major Network online games i am wondering how the integration with Steam with work, Will the games still be hosted on the Hosts PC just as it is now and if so will there be any improvement in speed.

This is potentially crucial for us as we intend to merge two of largest Online games for FM13 and will therefore have about 20 players online. At the moment transfer window takes 8 hours with 10 players.

However on a positive note it should resolve the issue of having to sort out router settings for the host for the other gamers that want setup a casual online game with there friends.

Belly

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but can you switch between football Manager classic and the proper game with the same save? Sometimes I am short on time and can see the value in a classic mode, but other times I do have time to play indepth but from what I have read and seen the modes seem entirely seperate. I can imagine in 6 months time I will have one save in classic mode when im in season 2048 and another save in normal mode where my season will be on July 17th 2012.

I know I'm not allowed to ask this yet, but as it would be a reasonablty big overhaul I guess Miles would have mentioned it in the press-conference I fear this won't be a new feature: Will there be changes in the job-applying/contract-negotiating part of the game? I've read the term 'job-interview' in several wish-lists, and it seems a brilliant addition to FM13 to deepen the whole 'getting a job'-part of the game.

And while I'm at it: I surely hope international managers get a real contract (with a salary and such) aswell.

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but can you switch between football Manager classic and the proper game with the same save? Sometimes I am short on time and can see the value in a classic mode, but other times I do have time to play indepth but from what I have read and seen the modes seem entirely seperate. I can imagine in 6 months time I will have one save in classic mode when im in season 2048 and another save in normal mode where my season will be on July 17th 2012.

I highly doubt you'll be able to do that.

IqPmA.jpg

Eeewww. Sorry but taking payment for what is just cheat codes is disgusting, even if you can unlock them through the game, this isn't some MMORPG where you can take advantage of other people cheating, "oh you don't have that much time anymore to play the game? Pay us to get some cheats then!". Hopefully FMRTE will still work, will rather pay those devs some more money than your stupid micro transactions.

Its not just MMO's though - BF3 had pay to unlock stuff from kits while if you played for a day or two in the same kit you'd prob of unlocked everything anyways. If theres a market there then i dont blame SI for at least putting them and if it means they get some extra cash to help develop FM14 then it cant be a bad thing.

So, it's still Steam...oh well, roll on FM14...

I've a feeling you'll be waiting a very very long time to play another FM then - i can't see them dropping Steam any time soon and infact they've integrated it even more this year as the network games are being ran though them from what i gathered.

Also, they don't care about people whining on this forum as they know only the very hardcore players come on here and they know nothing is ever good enough for them. For 99% of the people who play Football Manager (and incidentally don't sit on forums) these features have gone down well. You all need to get some perspective.

What a strange assumption, where did you get these statements and figures from?

Classic mode sounds terrible, kind of bummed they wasted their time on that instead of fixing things like press conferences, which now sound even more convoluted. I am excited about the upgraded financial system in the "real" game though. Not touching classic "kiddie" mode though.

I'd say classic mode is anything BUT a "kiddie" mode to be honest.

I'd wager that the average age of players of the classic mode will be higher than that of the main game, because some of us have too many obligations (work, partners, kids etc) to spend the amount of time the full game can require... and this tends to get worse with age.

Microtransactions are fine.. as long as they dont introduce it in the "main" game so that you can buy your way to better results..

But if they enable microtransaction to superficial things it'd be fine.. whatever helps SI is fine with me.. as long as they dont ruin the original game :)

I'd wager that the average age of players of the classic mode will be higher than that of the main game, because some of us have too many obligations (work, partners, kids etc) to spend the amount of time the full game can require... and this tends to get worse with age.

So what were you doing until now? Not playing the game?

Completely agree - I have far less time available to me now than when I first started playing fm (cm) back at uni years ago. As long as too much isn't taken out of the career mode for classic then it sounds ideal to me.

Because of time?

Mostly, yes. I enjoyed both games, but when I do have "free" time these days (of which there's less, due to work etc), I've generally got other stuff to do, and FM these days requires a fair bit of "immersion" to play with any real level of success.

I sort of yearn for the days of CM01/02. I'm not one of these people who thinks that was the "best" version of the game - the newer versions have far more about them and are way more complete and polished... but for my life these days (and i'm guessing the lives of many - not all - of the people who've grown up with CM/FM since the early days) a slightly simpler version, where more can be accomplished in a shorter space of time, would be a really good thing.

Not sure if you're genuinely interested, or struggling to believe that as people age there are things more pressing on a person's time than Football Manager ;) But either way, I just think Heath Matthias's assertion that FMC is a "kiddie" mode was a bit ridiculous.

Completely agree - I have far less time available to me now than when I first started playing fm (cm) back at uni years ago. As long as too much isn't taken out of the career mode for classic then it sounds ideal to me.

Exactly. I started playing CM2 when I was 14. Back then, a version like we have today, with the level of detail etc would have been like manna from heaven. These days, while it's an impressive accomplishment what SI have managed to put together, it can be a bit restrictive, when you've got other stuff on your plate.

Why not just allow the player to manage a national team from the start. This is just greed if you ask me. I really dislike the idea of paying for functionality that is already in the game.

Then don't pay for it?

How is this any different from any number of games out there that require you to unlock cheats before they can be used? SI have offered two different ways to unlock them, which again is not even slightly unique in gaming.

Classic Mode sounds interesting. It would be great if users could customise some of the things removed/kept in the game, as I for one would like to keep team talks in the matches.

But I shall await further information before deciding once again whether to play a new version or not.

"We've got more than 25 video blogs coming out between now and release that go into a bit more detail. I think we'd break the interweb if we tried to reveal everything in one go." - Miles

More can be seen here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/sep/06/football-manager-2013-classic-mode?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

Mostly, yes. I enjoyed both games, but when I do have "free" time these days (of which there's less, due to work etc), I've generally got other stuff to do, and FM these days requires a fair bit of "immersion" to play with any real level of success.

I sort of yearn for the days of CM01/02. I'm not one of these people who thinks that was the "best" version of the game - the newer versions have far more about them and are way more complete and polished... but for my life these days (and i'm guessing the lives of many - not all - of the people who've grown up with CM/FM since the early days) a slightly simpler version, where more can be accomplished in a shorter space of time, would be a really good thing.

Not sure if you're genuinely interested, or struggling to believe that as people age there are things more pressing on a person's time than Football Manager ;) But either way, I just think Heath Matthias's assertion that FMC is a "kiddie" mode was a bit ridiculous.

03/04 > 01/02. :cool:

"We've got more than 25 video blogs coming out between now and release that go into a bit more detail. I think we'd break the interweb if we tried to reveal everything in one go." - Miles

More can be seen here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/sep/06/football-manager-2013-classic-mode?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

Is it November definitely or is it just their guess?

• Administrators
Are these official screenshots?

If so, does this mean that we will have stadium background pictures included, for the first time since CM03/04?

screenshot4.jpg

That's not a stadium photo; it's the 3D match stadium. You'll see that sort of thing behind the pre-match build-up screens now. :)

http://downloads.sega.com/sigames/web/images/assets/games/screens/fm13/full/AFC%20Wimbledon_%20Training-3.png

Bad. This is bad...

EDIT: Otherwise i'm okay with the news. Any new FM is a great FM.

How is it bad?

You can unlock it for free

It's not in the main game only in "classic mode"

Gives them some extra income for people who do not want to unlock it for free. (the classic mode is clearly not for you so why QQ)

The 'classic mode' is an interesting concept. I am one like many who started playing the game 15 years ago whilst at school and was able to commit 4/5 hours a day to this game. Fast forward 15 years I have a partner, job, my own house and a one year old, all of which consume time leaving me with about 4/5 hours a week to play the game I love. I sacrifice the 3d match engine so I can proceed through the game at a faster pace.

When I first heard the idea I was sceptical but I am willing to give it a go. The key for me is whether the classic mode will provide the same level of feeling 'immersed' as the main game. I don't want to play the classic mode and feel like I am 'missing out' as if so I'd rather stick to the main game and just proceed at a slow pace. I have the Handheld version and thought it was ok but quickly lost interest unlike the PC version.

They care enough to hate on the developers, but not enough to actually think the issue through :)

I have thought it through multiply times and am not "hating" on the developers. But I do really dislike micro transactions to what is nothing more than cheat codes and I fear what consequences it might have down the road (as in starting to actively try and block out stuff like FMRTE). It's the same deal as with something like Tiger Woods where you can unlock all the little things you can usually just do through the campaign, it's not something that I feel is acceptable to charge for and it sucks even more when it's a developer like SI that very much feels like a small dev with a good relationship with the fans.

It just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth supporting it, they already paid for your damn product, at least have some new content if you're going to charge people and not just cheat codes for people who can't bother spending thousands of hours with it.

In a way that they are adding some pointless new features such are the Director of Football or this new Classic mode just beacuse some lazy ass sods moan all the time about the game being complex and that they waste too much time on micro-management. Well here is the news for them, it's a simulation, so either play the way it is or don't play it at all. Intead of concentraing on improving the existing features and adding usefull ones they are wasting time on pointless ones. :thdn:

Do you really thing they had the whole team focusing on the classic mode.. seriously.. stop hating and use your head for e moment.

We'll see how everything works out. Just because SI calls something a new feature or improvement, doesn't neccessarily make it a great thing ;)

But I am hopeful that the UI and AI has improved a lot. But I'll hold off judgement until I try the demo :)

You can't manage a national team from the start in FMC but can in the normal mode according to Miles' twitter.

Be intrigued to know what effect the upcoming Windows OS changes have on FM2013, and any release date - if Windows 8 has any effect at all.

Will the game take advantage of some of the features of Windows 8 - or will it wait until FM2014 for that? And will the game be playable on Windows RT (the new version aimed at portable and less powerful devices) and Windows 8 (the full version - which can also be used on more powerful tablets)? I know Windows RT has limitations as to what Programs or Apps can be used on it - but don't fully understand these limitations yet.

That's not a stadium photo; it's the 3D match stadium. You'll see that sort of thing behind the pre-match build-up screens now. :)

Will this 3d-stadium also be shown in other parts of FM, like in the club info screen (where there's a photo of some seating in the released screenshots)?

I guess that this also means that the stadiums will be a bit more realistic in FM13? Especially in lower league the stadiums were extremely big in comparison to the real thing (and capacity) in FM12? And all stands were covered in FM12 aswell (which off course isn't the case in lower league).

Not important to gameplay (fluff to some), but it would be visually nice if things would be a bit like in real life.

Talking of 3d stadiums: Will FM13 be heavier (specs-wise) than FM12 was? My laptop just managed to keep up, but it shouldn't get more demanding, especially when it comes to graphics.

IqPmA.jpg

Eeewww. Sorry but taking payment for what is just cheat codes is disgusting, even if you can unlock them through the game, this isn't some MMORPG where you can take advantage of other people cheating, "oh you don't have that much time anymore to play the game? Pay us to get some cheats then!". Hopefully FMRTE will still work, will rather pay those devs some more money than your stupid micro transactions.

Rumors say that you can also bribe referees for £ 1.50 and you can also " convince " an opponent player to be injured before a match to ease your way, that for £ 1.00.

I prefer the old school, no cheats, no money etc.. but I am an old guy.

Classic mode and the unlockables are not for me but I understand why they're included and I'm not going to be one of the idiots that moans about something that won't affect my game! (I might not be using Classic but it's a great idea)

Rumors say that you can also bribe referees for £ 1.50 and you can also " convince " an opponent player to be injured before a match to ease your way, that for £ 1.00.

making stuff up doesn't count as rumours

• SI Staff

I can fully understand that certain FM players will instinctively dislike the micro transaction element, but it is completely optional and also disabled in network play for obvious reasons.

I think the FMC story is bigger than that one issue anyway and I don't think people should get too distracted by it.

In terms of my area, the ME, we have overhauled a lot of it and will be giving out more info including the usual YouTube videos etc in due course.

• Administrators

No-one 'has' to use any micro-transactions, they won't have any influence whatsoever on the game is someone chooses not to use them. They only appear in FMC (FM is untouched) and a number of these 'unlockables' can be unlocked by just playing through - again only on the users request. If it's something you don't want to use, then it won't affect your game in the slightest :)

Just watched the rather entertaining "press conference" launch vid. Looking forward to this year's game, especially the Classic mode. Don't get me wrong, I love a good full fledged career but it'll be fun to have a less intensive version to play too.

Can't wait!

Hi Paul, Neil

Perhaps, should the microtransactions issue is such a minor one, it could be excluded from your main announcement. I hope it does not show a future trend fOR FM.

Furthermore, could you please give some information regarding stadiums. What imporvements have been made? Has any stadium buildind visual feature been included in the game? Is it possible for the user to add real-life stadiums?

Excited for the game again this year actually, and no problems whatsoever with FM Classic either. I might even give it a bash myself if I'm ever bored of a long term career game.

I probably wouldn't pay for any of the unlockable features, however I do think that being able to start as an international manager should be left alone and free. Anything that is 'unrealistic' and/or makes the game easier - fine, charge a small fee. But starting as an international manager is a feature which is long established, and should be free to play. :)

Hi Paul, Neil

Furthermore, could you please give some information regarding stadiums. What imporvements have been made?

will be giving out more info including the usual YouTube videos etc in due course.

I think that answers it.

Archived