*Official* Football Manager 2013 Announced!

Amazon UK are showing fm13 as availble opn November 30 2012,I am ok with this BUT they are showing only available on Vista or Windows 7,WHY? is this game no going to be available on Windows XP?:(

Football Manager 2013 will be available on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and most probably on Windows 8.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope there will be lot of improvements on the match engine in terms of tactic. Personally, i would like the next FM series can accommodate the modern sweeper role, so the four man defense can turn into three man defense when the team are in possession. This role is quite important for those who like to build up their attack from the back / playing possession football. In terms of tactical view, seems like this is the only role that the FM 12 didn't have, or to be precise, we can't find the right tweaks so that the intended player can play exactly like modern sweeper.

And also, i don't really want my centre-back to go forward when the throw in is taken close to the penalty area (zone 16 -18). It's really annoys me because i have so many players going forward which will make the team very vulnerable against counter attack. I've told my centre-back to "stay at the back" but he just won't listen.

This post was a repost from my post at FM-Base :D

I'm still wondering about this issue too. One of favorite ways to play FM is to use an editor to give some tiny lower league club 5-10m and then never edit again. If I decide I like the new mode, which I might since I no longer have time to play as often or as long as back in the CM time, I assume SI will have made it impossible to use an editor in the classic mode otherwise they'd miss out on the extra cash. I'll be stuck not playing the game the way I'd like unless I fork over more cash or work my way through long enough to "earn" this ability. If that is the case then I've probably bought my last FM.

I also hope these new features weren't created at the expense of fixing game killing issues like the broken AI for squad building and transfer issues. I don't see much point in buying a new FM if that hasn't been addressed while all this pay to play nonsense has been added.

I mean obviously theres been no word on this yet... but I don't see why you wouldn't still be able to do that in FMC? Surely setting up a FMC or normal FM game will be the same process? Its only once you start the game that there are differences. So I would assume that you can open the editor, edit away, give teams more money, etc, then choose your database to play the game with... The microtransactions then just help you edit your game once its started, if you wish to do so. So I think you will be fine to continue as you used to.

There seems to be a lot of fuss which is anti DLC but I would like to add an alternative view - please can we have some more DLC, namely a downloadable option to "switch off" / override the squad restriction rules (25 men squads, home grown quotas etc). I know this is detracting from "realism" - but for me "realism" is one of the main factors why FM is not as much "fun" as CM0102. FM12 was a great game, I still play it (as I still play CM0102) but these real-life restrictions are a pain and if DLC is there to give a new view on playing options then this option would in my view enhance the playing experience.

I guess this could be done via the editor but I like the compartmentalisation of having this as an FMC option only feature.

Just wanted to say you made my day with classic mode. I was not going to by FM13 because with FM12 I bought it after release , played a month and then haven't touched it because I have not had the time and drilling in all the details like individual training etc has felt so daunting. But with the classic mode being announced, I will definitely be buying FM13

Why is it £34.95 on amazon and yet websites like Zavvi GMG are a lot cheaper? Who is gonna be mad enough to pay that when they can get it cheaper somewhere else.

Just to let everyone know, it's £22.50 on GreenManGaming.com (£29.95 with 25% off until the 10th, tomorrow.) That's the one I've gone for - it won't be cheaper than that before release I can guarantee that!

Just to let everyone know, it's £22.50 on GreenManGaming.com (£29.95 with 25% off until the 10th, tomorrow.) That's the one I've gone for - it won't be cheaper than that before release I can guarantee that!

Trouble is its digital download only, Im wanting the boxed version.

Is there any news on improved match sounds, aswell as the improved 3D match engine?

It would be nice if they added more realistic sounds, or just changed the way the sounds work.. or even just changed some of the match sounds we've had for the past few years now.

Even with the created soundpacks for recent FM's etc, it's not perfect. Some of the sounds are delayed. For example, if a shot goes close, the sound(crowd re-action) is delayed sometimes.

It's also hard to tell the difference between away fan sounds, and home fan sounds.. CM03/04 had a perfect noise mix between away/home fans.

Infact, CM03/04 had a pretty good realistic sound engine altogether imo.

My view: Director of Football. Worthless. The last thing I want in this game is giving the AI any more control over my team and club.

A brand new training system. Pointless. The existing one was perfectly fine and had great depth and ability to help your players develop the way you want without having to spend hours and hours on that module. I don't really see why this module is being messed with when there are always major issues in the match engine, transfer and squad engine, AI and financial issues.

International Management gets touted as improved every year, but it's not a core feature compared to the club game.

I never use press conferences because they are repetitive, boring, stupid and will eventually cause an illogical response from your players and shatter their morale.

New user interface. Another one? SI tinker with this all the time, aren't they happy yet?

Football Manager Classic - A dumbed down mode for casual players who aren't good enough at the full game. I'll never use it.

Network Play. Long overdue.

Hopefully there are fixes in the scouting module (which is input intensive and takes too much time to setup big networks), finances (where you have no idea what your club is going to make or have any kind of projection for potential finances at the end of the year so you can plan your own budget, the squad system (where clubs buy stupidly) and the board AI (being incredibly obstinate and shutting down vital upgrades and manager requests with no feedback).

I hope some of those points are included in the '900 features'.

Agree totally, they rarely ever fix the real issues. Just new features which don't add much to the game and are usually quite lame. The biggest problem is the AI's inability to build a real squad long term. This has always been an issue.

• Administrators
All I want please is less crash dumps. 2012 has given me so many crash dumps its unbelievable. I know how to fix them but you shouldn't have to keep doing that all the time surely?

If you're getting crash dumps raise it in the bugs forum and we'll figure out what's causing problems for you - obviously we never want any version of FM to crash for anyone, the more info we get off you guys the more chance we can make sure these issues are fixed. Thanks.

• Administrators
Agree totally, they rarely ever fix the real issues. Just new features which don't add much to the game and are usually quite lame. The biggest problem is the AI's inability to build a real squad long term. This has always been an issue.

The AI issue is something we're always looking at and have been as long as I've been with SI, but it's by no means not an easy thing to do - there are so many variables to take into account and it has to be a balancing act across the entire game.

I very much doubt it, it looks like they are two separate games.

As mentioned before, FM Classic was pitched to Sega as such according to Sports Interactive. In a recent Interview Miles is even talking about how he feels they are basically developing four games simultaneously now: FM, FM Classic, FM Handheld, FM Online. As for now, I see FM Classic as typical corporate/marketing strategy, meant to broaden what is on offer by targeting a new audience or bringing an old one back in. It is obviously a good idea for anyone who deems FM too daunting and/or time consuming as it is in its current form. As of now, there will likely be a gain for people who either stopped playing Football Manager or were never attracted to Football Manager in the first place, as well as those who still support what the game was and still is standing for. As said, here's also hoping that FMC will support internet play, as it would be of additional use to have a "quick mode" more compatible with fluid multiplayer play, even for those who prefer to play FM rather than FMC when being alone.

This might sound a tad too paranoic, but how this will develop in the future could be another thing altogether. Remember that FM Classic was pitched to Sega as an altogether new release, rather than it to be incorporated into FM as an optional mode of play. It isn't that far-fetched a scenario that one day FM Classic will split off and become a separate release, especially if it hits home hard. Miles is also talking about a big number of SI employees who apparently stopped playing FM themselves, that is apparently how FM Classic came about in parts. Here's hoping that should the day come and FM Classic becomes a new game rather than a mode of play incorporated into the "real" FM with a moderate number of ressources allocated to this year, that SI won't forget what made them big in the first place: Creating the most authentic and expansive management game experience out there - the most expansive and realistic dream come computer game for anyone who doesn't actually hold a coaching badge whatsoever and has no management experience proper. At least until now.

I'm even hoping that knowing that one day FM might become too time consuming for myself to finish multiple seasons each release. Why? Because there are plenty of more basic football management games out there. I know that FM Classic will still be fueled by FM's engine, tactics, database and transfer market without holding back on those any. Still, in a world ruled by FIFA and PES and various browser managment games, arcadish football games are dime a dozen. An accessible simulation proper ain't.

Hopefully, the new training system will allow us to be able to select certain drills to form the training schedules. The drills will then help the players to improve core attributes that is suitable with our own philosophy and style. And i really hope that there will be an improvements on the match engine in terms of tactic to bring a more realistic experience to the game. In this case, i really hope they will add the modern sweeper role in the FM13, and if not, hopefully there are ways for us to do so by tweaking things so that the intended player can play exactly like modern sweeper, dropping into defense when the team are in possession while the two centre-back are drifting wide, acting almost like a full-back. This is quite important for those who like to build up the play from the back / playing possession football / tiki-taka. I think they should focusing on these things rather than developing new features that don't really add much to the game.

Cheers SI :D

The AI issue is something we're always looking at and have been as long as I've been with SI, but it's by no means not an easy thing to do - there are so many variables to take into account and it has to be a balancing act across the entire game.

I know it's a work in progress that never ends, but it 'better to speak clearly.

Otherwise i see a lot of rhetoric to say that the problem has not been fixed so far.

And another year has passed....

That's boring.

Regards

I wish you 1 billion sales SI

The main reasons for a wrong judgement of fm13 would be, even though everyone chooses his own way:

Suppose it will be the same as fm12,our enthusiasm to form a judgement,overreaction based on a first demo view,preoccupied because one is part of the community,overreaction based on a part of the game we don't like,too many bugs,not play it at all.

At the moment just glad there will be a release , this means more entertainment through all season.

I'd love it if you were to go into more detail there. Would be interesting.

Classic mode is not for me, but I am pleased its there. My 12 year old is going to love it, and the challenge mode. He plays fm12 now and again, but is not into doing contracts, training, press conferences etc. he just wants to buy players, put them in a formation, and play. The quicker the matches come round the better. The shirt term aspect of the challenges, plus unlockables, is right up his street. It's going to appeal to a lot more younger gamers, a viable alternative to console games possibly.

Despite being one of those with very little time for FM these days I still enjoy the immersion and am happy to take ages to complete a season, so on FM13 I will play the career mode for my single player game at home.

But I also play a hotseat game with 2 mates on every release and for FM12 we haven't even reached Christmas in the first season due to only getting together maybe once every 2 months. So I'm starting to think FM Classic might be the solution for this, since in our multiplayer game we aren't too bothered with the nitty-gritty details and just want to get stuck into matches. Having 2 games mode could well be perfect for me.

Can anyone confirm if hotseat mulitplayer will be available on FM Classic?

Also, with all these new microtransactions, I'm starting to wonder whether or not the editor might get limited this year. Can anyone in the know say whether the editor will have at least the same functionality as FM12 or not?

i will hold back until i see feedback of improved AI squad building, and ME realism. Not bothered by cosmetics. AI improvement and ME is long overdue for a overhaul. looking forward to seeing positive threads once the game is released so i will take out the wallet.

most of us who bother to come in this forum and posts often and give feedbacks, are hardcore FM players. sadly we make up for like maybe 15-20% of FM players in total. you think SI are going to overhaul the AI and ME to cater to this 15% or so? developing the AI and improving the ME is not cheap and time consuming. they might probably need to up the number of staffs to be able to do this within a single release. It costs way too much. So expect real issues to be not fixed. money talks in this world.

cosmetics improvements are the easiest to do and appeals to the majority of casual gamers. don't even get me started on the press conference. :lol:

most of us who bother to come in this forum and posts often and give feedbacks, are hardcore FM players. sadly we make up for like maybe 15-20% of FM players in total. you think SI are going to overhaul the AI and ME to cater to this 15% or so? developing the AI and improving the ME is not cheap and time consuming. they might probably need to up the number of staffs to be able to do this within a single release. It costs way too much. So expect real issues to be not fixed. money talks in this world.

Where did you get that 15-20% figure from?

If you read anything from SI you will see they are always working on making improvements to the AI and match engine but they wouldn't make that their big headline as "Overhauled match engine" isn't going to sell to the masses, adding a completely new game mode will.

The part about improving the AI and match engine has also been mentioned so I'm not sure why you think they are completely ignoring it.

What annoys me about the micro transactions is that they're included in a game that never had them before. Many games on Steam come with "DLC" that costs extra money, but they've always been like that so you live with it and you expect it when you buy the product. But this isn't even content, it's just cheat codes. They should have sold FMC as a separate version of the game, along with it's micro transactions, and then sell the rest of the game as a "Gold" version or something like that. But of course if they did that they'd sell the gold version for more money so we'd be paying for the micro transactions anyway.

The bottom line for me is do I like Football Manager enough that I'm going to support the developers taking this path by buying the new product? A very large part of me wants to send a clear message to the developers by passing on this year's version and hoping they remove the micro transactions for next year. I'm still undecided at this point.

I do know I've grown bored of FM 2012 so I have to make a decision soon.....

Why do you care if they are not in the main game!!!

Does no one actually read what is said or watch the videos?

The match engine has been overhalled, the DLC is ONLY in the classic game, it is completely optional and can be unlocked by playing the game. The AI is worked on every single version that is released, including patches.

Honesly this forum could drive you crazy sometimes.

Yes, I read the forum and watched the video before I posted. What isn't being thought about by most people is future versions of FM. If we tell the developers that these micro transactions are ok with us (by buying the game and the micro transactions), then they'll expand that in future versions of the game. Pretty soon we'll have to buy "stadium packs" or "player database updates" and they'll charge a lot more then $1 for them. Eventually the "base" game will be half the game and we'll have to pay through the nose to keep adding features that used to be included in the game. That's where I have a problem with it.

"Classic mode adds various 'unlockable' features that can ease the difficulty of the game. Players can remove the need for work permits, for example, or add cash to their transfer budgets.

This is where Football Manager adds in a new microtransactions model, with players allowed to either earn the features or pay for them themselves."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366828/fm-2013-lite-mode-streamlines-play-adds-microtransactions/

Really hope this isnt the route most FM's go down in the future, why not just concentrate on the normal game, work on that until you have a game that competes.

i will hold back until i see feedback of improved AI squad building, and ME realism. Not bothered by cosmetics. AI improvement and ME is long overdue for a overhaul. looking forward to seeing positive threads once the game is released so i will take out the wallet.

Seconded, not a penny will be parted with until i read reviews on how they have FINALLY got AI squad building, AI youth development and AI transfers right, with manager and country tactical preferences for AI run teams also improved. IMO this is something the FM series has never had working

Yes, I read the forum and watched the video before I posted. What isn't being thought about by most people is future versions of FM. If we tell the developers that these micro transactions are ok with us (by buying the game and the micro transactions), then they'll expand that in future versions of the game. Pretty soon we'll have to buy "stadium packs" or "player database updates" and they'll charge a lot more then $1 for them. Eventually the "base" game will be half the game and we'll have to pay through the nose to keep adding features that used to be included in the game. That's where I have a problem with it.

There's a reason SI waited until an entirely new game mode was created before including them...

Really hope this isnt the route most FM's go down in the future, why not just concentrate on the normal game, work on that until you have a game that competes.

Competes with what? FM is the market leader by a long way.

cosmetics improvements are the easiest to do and appeals to the majority of casual gamers. don't even get me started on the press conference. :lol:

Are you actually implying that a company doesn't advance its fundamental features in its flagship and only product, a completely hardcore strategy/tactical game, because 85% of its fanbase are casual players?

FM is a simulation game! Your "fears" makes absolutely no sence! I'll trylly believe that SI would never go down that path, at least in terms of the main game.

FMC, of course will be another story.

So i guess the big question is.... will we be pleasantly surprised with this years improvements with regards to the AI? Any hints, clues!?! pretty please.

Archived