Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

One man not quite so prolific is Enrique, who netted his first ever Barclays Premier League goal.

It took the Spaniard 53 appearances to score his maiden Liverpool goal - and Reina isn't expecting to see the defender hitting the back of the net on a regular basis from now on.

Asked if he felt it could be the first of many for Enrique, he joked: "If he plays in that position, maybe he can score one or two more, but being realistic he plays left-back, and with his skills at shooting I very much doubt it!

"He is a really good friend of mine, but this is his first goal in several years of playing in the top divisions, so you cannot be too optimistic!"

He added: "I think it is the first - and probably last - goal of his career! I am quite happy because he is training good and looking after himself very well, especially lately. The reward was there.

"He has faced tough times at the beginning of the season, but now he is back in top form once again."

The win over Wigan extended Liverpool's unbeaten run in the Barclays Premier League to seven matches, and Reina added: "It's good. We want to win every game. I wouldn't mind if we'd lost two of them, but won the other five.

"We are now a really tough team to beat, but we have to turn it up, squeeze a little bit more out and turn those draws into wins."

Reina's interview after the game, made me laugh :)

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suarez' 9 matches of suspension did nothing for his goalscoring record last season either. It took almost until the end of the season to get back into some kind of flow again.

Before his suspension he wasnt scoring much but I thought after it he started banging more in. I think the players we brought in at the time was suppose to suit Carroll more than Suarez and due to these players not being very good they both suffered not to mention Suarez form really dipped once he heard he was getting suspended.

A quick random question; has there been any talk of Adorjan getting a chance in the first team? I only ask because every time I've seen him play, he's really looked quite good, certainly as much as Suso, but Suso's getting the chances.

(Timing of the question comes because he scored against us yesterday and it provoked the question in my head)

Adorjan has never hugely impressed me, certainly not to the same level Suso has. imo he's clearly pretty talented, but even at reserve level goes missing for long periods in games. Has as many games where he does absolutely nothing as he does where he looks good. I assume thats holding him back a little.

As has been said he played a couple of pre-season games for us, but he was played out of position as a holding midfielder instead of in the hole where he's usually deployed for the reserves.

do you lot think there is any chance of us signing Downing on loan? our boards are going mental with it, but it seems to be based entirely on rumours. if it did happen, surely you'd have to pay practically all his wages

Says on the BBc web site we are in for Strurridge in Jan and possibly Jeffren! I think that about sums up the scouting network at Liverpool these days.. If Walcott is available then he has to be no1 target?

The BBC Gossip column is linking that from the Mirror.

Do you believe everything the Mirror publishes??

We were linked with Sturridge and Walcott in the summer, so it's just lazy gossip/paper talk as far as we should be concerned. I'd rather have a more proven goalscorer than either of those two.

Totally different subject: What is it with all the football management speak going around at the moment? Phrases like "This group is in a really good moment". What happened to the word 'squad', or 'form'?? Grating!

Fancy taking a bet on that?

Also read somewhere today that Walcott has placed his house on the market? Could be bollocks or completely unrelated but it certainly adds fuel to the rumors.

I heard that the house he's buying was a clue that he was going to stay at Arsenal. It doesn't have a trophy cabinet.

I still want Nando back :( he should have been such a legend here. I also think he'd come back in a heart beat. But meh, we'll probably end up with sturridge instead :(:(

I'm sure Chelsea will be more than happy to give us Torres back if they get Falcao, I'd still take him back for a small price tbh.

well he's hardly gonna do a live skype to jamaican tv and then tell them to do one is he?!

would be amazed if he did, though his mum is apparently adamant he plays for them. would be hilarious if he ended up playing for them cos his mum told him to. :D

Knowing him, he is in a huge dilemma. Considering his mum wants him to represent Jamaica as well, yes but he has a high influence of friends with Jamaican heritage who must influence what he might do. I hope he represents Jamaica as he was born out there.

sure! i wouldnt begrudge him it obv, but its a no brainer to play for england unless he really is dedicated to his roots.

OT, just read this from lfc forum,

ASHLEY Williams has ramped up the heat ahead of Liverpool's visit to Swansea by revealing he dislikes Luis Suarez more than any other player.

Williams played against Suarez twice last season and will go head to head with the in-form striker again on Sunday when Liverpool are at the Liberty. In his book My Premier League Diary, which is out today, the Swansea City centre-back hits out at Suarez's behaviour on the pitch and the constant diving, which has made the Uruguayan one of the most controversial figures in the Premier League.

​Ashley Williams

Ashley Williams

"Suarez has that aura about him that says 'I'm untouchable'," wrote Williams after Swansea's 0-0 draw at Anfield last year.

"I'd go as far as to say that the manner in which he approached the game, with utter contempt for us all, means that he's streets ahead of any player I've truly disliked since we've been in the Premier League.

"He dived more than any other player I've played against before — it was so bad I was genuinely shocked.

"Throughout the game, he just dived down and screamed at any given moment.

"Now, obviously, diving has crept into the game more and more in recent years and, as a defender, you have to be aware of it.

"But even the players you know that like a dive at least wait until there is some sort of challenge or contact.

"Not Suarez.

"A couple of times I'd hear the scream, see him writhing on the floor and for the life of me couldn't see where the contact could have been."

Williams also took exception to Suarez in the return match last May.

After Swansea's 1-0 win in SA1, he wrote: "Having played against him twice now I just have to say that I don't like the bloke.

"They won a corner, and I appealed to the ref to say that it had come off him last. He said something to me with a bit of a snarl, so I just told him to shut his mouth.

"I don't like the superior manner he brings on the field with him.

"Basically I have no time for the guy at all."

talk about setting yourself up for a fall, i hope suarez megs him in the 89th minute and scores the winner, pleb.

So players are supposed to be polite to each other now? And top players shouldn't have any arrogance about them, or a self belief (see Zlatan)? They all do, as it's that self belief that makes them brilliant. Also, I very much doubt that he knows Luis off the pitch so he's in no position to spout off about not liking him as a person. What an absolute cretin.

What he should have said was "I'm a hater, and I hate that I'm a donkey and he's brilliant. How dare he be so much better than me and actually know it."

I hope Luis destroys him.

So players are supposed to be polite to each other now? And top players shouldn't have any arrogance about them, or a self belief (see Zlatan)? They all do, as it's that self belief that makes them brilliant. Also, I very much doubt that he knows Luis off the pitch so he's in no position to spout off about not liking him as a person. What an absolute cretin.

So players are supposed to like each other always now? And players shouldn't dislike others who show arrogance on the field? If there is nothing wrong with a player being arrogant and self-righteous on the field then I don't see what is wrong with with someone not liking them for it. If Agger or Skrtel came out and said the same thing about Balotelli would you respond the same way? He has said nothing there to suggest he doesn't like him just because he's better than him, let's face it, Suarez has an attitude problem on the pitch, fair enough if the guy doesn't like him and says so.

There is a reason you get players saying negative stuff about players like Suarez and Ronaldo and Zlatan and not about Messi or Silva or Xavi, it's because one group is up themselves and the others aren't. We don't need to defend someone every time just because they are on our team.

So players are supposed to like each other always now? And players shouldn't dislike others who show arrogance on the field? If there is nothing wrong with a player being arrogant and self-righteous on the field then I don't see what is wrong with with someone not liking them for it. If Agger or Skrtel came out and said the same thing about Balotelli would you respond the same way? He has said nothing there to suggest he doesn't like him just because he's better than him, let's face it, Suarez has an attitude problem on the pitch, fair enough if the guy doesn't like him and says so.

There is a reason you get players saying negative stuff about players like Suarez and Ronaldo and Zlatan and not about Messi or Silva or Xavi, it's because one group is up themselves and the others aren't. We don't need to defend someone every time just because they are on our team.

We really shouldn't complain about this. It's pin-board material. Type of comments Suarez can use to light a fire, and motivate himself to rip Williams apart!

Archived