Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

12 minutes ago, dejarik said:

Why do players change their Current Ability even when they don’t change attributes? 
Example: My 29 year old Jamaal Lascelles is now a “Good Premier League Player”, and he was previously (like a month ago) “a decent player”. This is also shown on the Progress bar, where it seems the stars change even when the player doesn’t change. I haven’t had any new signings either, this is in May.

I think that's due to his form

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dejarik said:

Why do players change their Current Ability even when they don’t change attributes? 
Example: My 29 year old Jamaal Lascelles is now a “Good Premier League Player”, and he was previously (like a month ago) “a decent player”. This is also shown on the Progress bar, where it seems the stars change even when the player doesn’t change. I haven’t had any new signings either, this is in May.

Form

9 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

What is the relationship between the D Line and the LOE? More specifically, when would you put the D Line at a higher value than the LOE, and vice versa.

The distance between DL and LOE is about your compactness in defense (which is an important factor regardless of the style of play you want to implement). The smaller the distance, the greater compactness. And vice versa. But too much compactness can be as bad as too little. So being too compact is not necessarily a good thing. Basically, an optimal level of compactness is achieved when DL is just one notch higher than LOE. 

10 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Why cant you shout more during the match?

Why do you have to wait 15 minutes every time?

That's a question for game developers, not ordinary players in this forum. So you asked it in a wrong place, because how can anyone of us know the answer when we are not in charge of game-making.

24 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

The distance between DL and LOE is about your compactness in defense (which is an important factor regardless of the style of play you want to implement). The smaller the distance, the greater compactness. And vice versa. But too much compactness can be as bad as too little. So being too compact is not necessarily a good thing. Basically, an optimal level of compactness is achieved when DL is just one notch higher than LOE. 

In general, when is it be good to be compact? 

Just now, Experienced Defender said:

.., an optimal level of compactness is achieved when DL is just one notch higher than LOE. 

That's very interesting I've always thought that it was the other way round. I'll change the way I play and hope to fix my existing slightly leaky defense.

59 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It's always good/advisable to have an optimal level of compactness (which I already described in the previous comment).

I meant under which circumstances is it best to be compact compared to other circumstances.

4 minutes ago, dejarik said:

I don’t understand - does his actual CA change or what? Is it just the game trying to tell me “who is good, including form”?

If his attributes do not change and his star ability goes up with quality performances; it means that his home/world reputation goes up.

Edited by zabyl

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

That's a question for game developers, not ordinary players in this forum. So you asked it in a wrong place, because how can anyone of us know the answer when we are not in charge of game-making.

So where do you want it asking then? Miles' inbox? you tell me

48 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's 10 minutes and that's how long the effects last.

Yes and why is that realistic?

I want to shout different things more often than 10 mins at a time, and maybe i dont want the effect of my shout to last 10 mins either. maybe i want it to last in the immediate moments around my shout.

Real managers arent restricted to shouting one thing every ten mins

Just now, FMunderachiever said:

Yes and why is that realistic?

I want to shout different things more often than 10 mins at a time, and maybe i dont want the effect of my shout to last 10 mins either. maybe i want it to last in the immediate moments around my shout.

Real managers arent restricted to shouting one thing every ten mins

There will be game design reasons for it a) lasting 10 mins and b) not for someone to spam shouts every 2 seconds. If you want to make more meaningful changes, there's the tactics screen.

3 hours ago, dejarik said:

What happens when a players get those “orange arrows on every single attribute” shifts? It’s quite frustrating when it happens. Sometimes you get the reverse a bit later, sometimes not.

Attributes all ave a CA cost, so what can happen is if you increase an attribute that has a CA cost of 2\3, but the CA only goes up by 1, then the orange arrows can show up as the CA\Attribute costs balances out

Of course, it can also happen if it's a bad training time, so what's the players training rating

What am I not understanding/what am I doing wrong with tactical familiarity? I have three players who are not gaining any tactical familiarity in position/role/duty they are playing and have been playing for a long time. Otherwise they are fully familiar with the tactic.

Two of the players are playing in WM (A) role in ML and MR positions and one is playing as CM (s) in MC position. They have played in these positions and roles for about 20 games (+a full pre-season) now and I have had plenty of training specifically to train tactical familiarity.

I also noticed that somehow the players are fully familiar in roles they have not played a single minute in. Left sided wide player is fully familiar as an inverted winger, right sided wide player as a winger and central midfielder as a box to box midfielder. 

Edited by kuraeero
typo

5 hours ago, kuraeero said:

What am I not understanding/what am I doing wrong with tactical familiarity? I have three players who are not gaining any tactical familiarity in position/role/duty they are playing and have been playing for a long time. Otherwise they are fully familiar with the tactic.

Two of the players are playing in WM (A) role in ML and MR positions and one is playing as CM (s) in MC position. They have played in these positions and roles for about 20 games (+a full pre-season) now and I have had plenty of training specifically to train tactical familiarity.

I also noticed that somehow the players are fully familiar in roles they have not played a single minute in. Left sided wide player is fully familiar as an inverted winger, right sided wide player as a winger and central midfielder as a box to box midfielder. 

You have to coach them in that particular role and position. 

Say I have a RW W(A) that likes to cut inside, and also a RB inverted wingback(support). 

Say I elect not to use the overlap or underlap instruction. Will the inverted wingback overlap when the RW has cut inside on with the ball? Or will he simply stay in his narrow, relatively deep off-center position?

Edited by Ripamon

4 hours ago, Ripamon said:

Say I have a RW W(A) that likes to cut inside, and also a RB inverted wingback(support). 

Say I elect not to use the overlap or underlap instruction. Will the inverted wingback overlap when the RW has cut inside on with the ball? Or will he simply stay in his narrow, relatively deep off-center position?

That can vary from situation to situation, depending on what is happening on the pitch at a given point. How your players behave is also affected by how the opposition play/defend against you. 

Once the workload for your fitness coaches is light and you have 4.5 or 5 star coaches does hiring more fitness coaches help to improve the team's fitness and, possibly, reduce injuries?

Edited by Hovis Dexter
added "help to"

My inside forwards barely ever cut inside with the ball. I understand they won't be able to cut inside all the time against packed defenses but even when they could they dribble down the flank. Is that tactical or ME related?  

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

My inside forwards barely ever cut inside with the ball. I understand they won't be able to cut inside all the time against packed defenses but even when they could they dribble down the flank. Is that tactical or ME related?  

You need to start a separate thread and post a screenshot of your tactic as a whole there (not here), because that's the only appropriate way for your question to get a logical answer. How can anyone know if some issue is of a tactical nature or ME-related without seeing the tactic in question.

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

You need to start a separate thread and post a screenshot of your tactic as a whole there (not here), because that's the only appropriate way for your question to get a logical answer. How can anyone know if some issue is of a tactical nature or ME-related without seeing the tactic in question.

Didn't want to start new tread as as was asking for people's opinon in general. I was thinking maybe this thing of IFs not cutting inside more often has to do with opposition OI's (show onto weaker foot). Judging by your answer it looks it's not ME related.  I've seen that playing with more width is crucial here. Thanks for quick answer though.

So, anyone can explain Long Throws to me? Realized my DL prospect has an amazing throw, but it seems instructions for throw ins get largely ignored?

No matter what I try, I can't get both of my tall CDs into the box on long throws (the second one just hangs around in the "stay back if needed" kinda position regardless of where he's assigned, with the only exception I've found so far being if I told the second CD to come short, which seems pretty pointless) and the one that does go forwards just runs back immediately when the ball is thrown on the majority of the throws?

What instructions actually do work? Or do they simply not work and I should just look at who randomly is in the box since the instructions do nothing and get tall players for those positions? :idiot:

47 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

So, anyone can explain Long Throws to me? Realized my DL prospect has an amazing throw, but it seems instructions for throw ins get largely ignored?

No matter what I try, I can't get both of my tall CDs into the box on long throws (the second one just hangs around in the "stay back if needed" kinda position regardless of where he's assigned, with the only exception I've found so far being if I told the second CD to come short, which seems pretty pointless) and the one that does go forwards just runs back immediately when the ball is thrown on the majority of the throws?

What instructions actually do work? Or do they simply not work and I should just look at who randomly is in the box since the instructions do nothing and get tall players for those positions? :idiot:

You checked Zealand on Youtube he has a Video on this.

11 minutes ago, wakesta said:

You checked Zealand on Youtube he has a Video on this.

Both his videos are from older patches and Long Throws are one thing that specifically was looked at for the last ME update. My players straight up ignoring their instructions doesn't help either.

1 minute ago, Freakiie said:

Both his videos are from older patches and Long Throws are one thing that specifically was looked at for the last ME update. My players straight up ignoring their instructions doesn't help either.

Who are you managing?

17 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Sorry mate, but the question you asked cannot be answered in a short and simple fashion and therefore does not belong to this quickfire thread.

So please either start your own separate topic or report the issue in the relevant section of the Bugs forum :thup:

1 hour ago, witticism said:

Does anyone know if the half-back specific movement to drop into the defense still happens if the HB is played in DCMR/DMCL position? Or is it unique to the DMC slot?

As far as I know, it still happens when the HB is played in DMCL/R. But HB drops between CBs only in the early build-up phase of play, but will move higher up the pitch as the attack progresses. 

43 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

As far as I know, it still happens when the HB is played in DMCL/R. But HB drops between CBs only in the early build-up phase of play, but will move higher up the pitch as the attack progresses. 

oh good, it will be worth trying it out then, thanks!

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

knocks ball past opponents?

Yeah, usually my go-to for pace merchants. Maybe also "Likes To Try To Beat Offside Trap", if he's a forward with decent Concentration, Anticipation and Off The Ball.

On 03/04/2021 at 20:52, Freakiie said:

It does not ignore the routine, you need a pretty good long throw attribute, 14 or above, if not it will just not get to the box.

I got no problems setting up my long throws routine and the ME follows it suit.

Do you need to use opposition instructions if you are already marking tighter and closing down more in your tactic? For example if I'm already telling the players to be more urgent in the press then surely I don't need to use OI's to tell them to press more. 

22 minutes ago, silentwars said:

Do you need to use opposition instructions if you are already marking tighter and closing down more in your tactic? For example if I'm already telling the players to be more urgent in the press then surely I don't need to use OI's to tell them to press more. 

Opposition instructions apply to specific opposition players. They instruct your players how they should defend against a particular opponent when he is within their area of defensive responsibility at any point during a match.

On the other hand, tight marking and pressing urgency team instructions instruct your players how they should generally behave in the defensive phase of play, regardless of specific opposition players.

Therefore, your question of whether certain OIs should be used or not together with regular team instructions is impossible to answer properly because there are too many factors to be taken into account.

Basically, OIs should not be used for all opposition players but just a couple of them that you identify as "special" threats (in one way or the other). But you can also opt to use no OIs at all and let your players behave according to your regular team and player instructions. If you are unsure how OIs should be ideally used, then better not to use them. Because applying them in a wrong way can have an adverse effect on your overall defensive shape. 

If a PI directly contradicts a player's trait, does that PI at least have a tiny effect or it just straight up doesn't do anything?
For example: If I tell a player that "Likes to run with balls" to Dribble Less, will he actually dribble a bit less than he would have if I had not given him any specific indication (although obviously still dribbling quite a bit)?

17 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

For example: If I tell a player that "Likes to run with balls" to Dribble Less, will he actually dribble a bit less than he would have if I had not given him any specific indication (although obviously still dribbling quite a bit)?

Yes.

9 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Is the Complete Forward a playmaker role?

No. The only playmaker role among striker roles is the trequartista. 

10 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Or does it behave like a Target Man?

Again no. 

10 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Or neither and he'll just have no "ball magnet"?

Yes. He is neither a PM nor a TM nor a ball-magnet in any sense.

Much Shorter Passing 

In addition to lowering passing range below the range set by shorter passing, does this TI also lower width and tempo by one setting each? Or are width and tempo only affected by shorter passing, as opposed to the more extreme instruction?