Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

How would "Likes to beat offside trap" would work with a player playing Attack Midfielder on an Attack duty ? I'm retraining one of my strikers to play AMC since he has decent stats for it (15 flair, 14 technique, 15 dribbling, 16 agility, 14 decisions), but he has this trait.

Will he try to make runs more often than usual ? Should I put him on a Support duty instead ? Or flat out try to unlearn this trait ?

Edited by Fatkidscantjump

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Will he try to make runs more often than usual ?

Probably will. 

29 minutes ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Should I put him on a Support duty instead ? Or flat out try to unlearn this trait ?

These things depend on how the whole tactical setup is designed. As stressed so many times - tactical elements do not work in isolation. One (seemingly "trivial") tweak can have a huge effect on the whole tactic, whether negative or positive.

But for any further discussion about that, you'll need to start a separate thread (not here). 

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

@Johnny Ace Unfortunately, your question does require a separate thread. And even more so given that you posted a screenshot of the tactic. 

Start your own thread and you'll get feedback there :thup:

Oh man, I did it again :D It was only a quick question but fair enough 

42 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

I don't if this is the right place, but is it any point in having more than one Sports Scientist? Do they prevent injuries? Or they just give You advice?

I noticed that having good sport scientists (with high ratings for the SS attribute) can really help reduce the number of injuries. 

When it comes to the overall number of sports scientists in your medical staff, it should be defined in advance (i.e. the maximum number you can have). Just like the (maximum) number of coaches, scouts etc.

27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I noticed that having good sport scientists (with high ratings for the SS attribute) can really help reduce the number of injuries. 

When it comes to the overall number of sports scientists in your medical staff, it should be defined in advance (i.e. the maximum number you can have). Just like the (maximum) number of coaches, scouts etc.

Thanks! That's good to know!

On 25/02/2021 at 22:40, brookie1402 said:

What is the rough timescale for a player learning a completely new position, from zero up to accomplished?

It can vary. Players have a hidden value for versatility, so that will affect how quickly they’d adapt. It’s also important to give the player game time in the position you’re retraining in. If they’re being played in different positions each game, that will slow the process down.

In my save, I’ve recently retrained a natural left back to play at centre back. He started with no ability whatsoever at centre back, but is now accomplished. It took about 6 months to get there and he played every game where available at centre back, even when he didn’t have any familiarity.

5 hours ago, tmc269 said:

How do you fix a lot of your shots being blocked, usually they have between 6-8 defenders in the box and getting blocks in left right and centre. 

Number of things to try, use width to stretch them out, speed things up so they can't can back into shape, slow things down so your players are a little more patient

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Number of things to try, use width to stretch them out, speed things up so they can't can back into shape, slow things down so your players are a little more patient

Cheers I’ll give that a go 👍

The Counter-Press

I've never used it & when I do I don't really see it doing anything, players press when they lose the ball as expected within the defensive boundaries you set regardless of wether it's selected or not

In theory, it's simple but I don't see that it makes any difference on the pitch

Is this the cause of the headless-chicken effect that folk mention? ie more than one player will press the player on the ball when possession's turned over? 

Edited by Johnny Ace

What role would you play people like ASM? Pulisic (under lampard)? Neymar? 

Thinking AML position - APa? Attract the ball and dribble at people before giving it up? Or should I be using IWa /IFa? Trying to figure out how to utilize high dribble rating players most effectively

8 hours ago, dang3rouspeach said:

What role would you play people like ASM? Pulisic (under lampard)? Neymar? 

Thinking AML position - APa? Attract the ball and dribble at people before giving it up? Or should I be using IWa /IFa? Trying to figure out how to utilize high dribble rating players most effectively

Roles do not work in isolation but exclusively through interaction with one another as integral parts of a tactical system as a whole. Which means that the same player in the same role can work great in one system but poorly in another. 

Which further implies that the answer to your question is - depends on what your tactical system as a whole looks like.

But given that this thread is for quick and simple questions and answers only, you'll have to start your own separate thread topic if you want a more detailed discussion/feedback on your question.

4 hours ago, plcarlos said:

Why is aggression ever mentioned as a attribute targeted in training sessions. Is it right that no matter what, it can NEVER change?

It's trained in Programs-->Technical-->Transition-Press. On the other hand, it can also be reduced when you punish a player for a violent behaviour on the pitch.

2 hours ago, kentonizking said:

Fm 21 -

Playing as Bradford PA - semi-pro. 

Dealing with a lot of fitness issues. Is there general advice to keeping players fit, with only 2-3 days training a week? 

Have a large squad for rotation and a moderately intense tactical system. Personally speaking, I never care about training when I manage part-timers-it isn't worth time and effort.

31 minutes ago, frukox said:

Have a large squad for rotation and a moderately intense tactical system. Personally speaking, I never care about training when I manage part-timers-it isn't worth time and effort.

thanks, i usually to, bottom to top type saves, but this is the first version that the fitness has been a problem. Thankfully, young, non-contract players provide a lot of the answer. 

3 hours ago, frukox said:

It's trained in Programs-->Technical-->Transition-Press. On the other hand, it can also be reduced when you punish a player for a violent behaviour on the pitch.

This is what I mean, I know it's targeted here, but does the ATTRIBUTE ever increase? It's something i have never seen improve. This includes over a 5 year period with top coaches\facilities\targeting.

1 minute ago, plcarlos said:

This is what I mean, I know it's targeted here, but does the ATTRIBUTE ever increase? It's something i have never seen improve. This includes over a 5 year period with top coaches\facilities\targeting.

Honestly, I never saw it increase and I didn't need such players because when it's combined with dirtiness it could sometimes mean trouble on the pitch, which is something I don't want.

On 21/02/2021 at 10:37, Johnny Ace said:

Focus of Attacks?

Anyone know how they worked out? Just watching the start of a full match & they don't update with real time so it's hard to tell, but is it where balls into the box are coming from? I know it's definetley not related to shots or anything like that  

Can I re-ask this please? I think it's entries into the box but not 100%

Could be potentially some dodgy match analysis 

On 03/03/2021 at 20:05, arthurbf10 said:

Do you guys think a midfield trio of BBM + DLP(S) + DM(D) could work? Would the BBM's movement be enough for central penetration? 

Absolutely, would allow you to get the wingbacks forward 

On 29/01/2021 at 20:10, beverage1982 said:

Quick question re: pressing intensity. I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone use "less urgent" pressing intensity amongst the community. Would it ever have a use or is it something to preserve player fitness? I've been noodling with it for a few games and it is very passive, but could be somewhat effective. I just don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree seeing it as anything other than a late game fatigue reducer. 

I've actually had some recent mild success with this playing as an underdog newly promoted team in the premier league. With either a 4-4-2 or flat 4-5-1, cautious/ balanced mentality, regroup, high/standard defensive line and standard LOE I've found my team retain their shape a lot better with "less urgent" pressing, making it a lot harder for stronger teams to simply bypass the press or find a suitable pass between lines. I guess ultimately it depends on players, but currently my team is 10th after 16 games (predicted 20th) and have won 5 of the last 6

Edited by AlexJames

4 hours ago, dejarik said:

Which roles have hard coded movements and other peculiarities and which roles are just “a group of PIs”? Is there an overview of this somewhere?

All roles have PI's hardcoded except for generic roles like the Central Defender, Defensive Midfielder, Central Midfielder, Wide Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder if that's what you mean. You can just look at them in game 

Some roles have under the hood movement that other roles can't have. Don't think there's a source here for them but you can find them online   

Edited by Johnny Ace

39 minutes ago, ZenSoCal said:

In a 4-2-3-1, and assuming you have players that are fit for the role, is there any reason to avoid having both CDs be BPD/De?  

That depends entirely on your desired style of play and has nothing to do with a 4231 or any particular formation. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

That depends entirely on your desired style of play and has nothing to do with a 4231 or any particular formation. 

Ok, I favor a balanced and flexible style but what I am taking from this response is that in at least some situations having two BPDs would be fine so I can't be going too far wrong.  Thx!

2 questions

1- What roles would you give to recreate Brandt and Havertz central midfield partnership in Leverkusen?

2- In Frankfurt, what are the most suited roles for Kamada and Younes to recreate their real roles playing with Andre Silva up front?

Does the pitch diagram that you use to adjust line of engagement and defensive line translate directly to the pitch in game?

It seems like it roughly does for the line of engagement, but the description for defensive line says that it is "where your defenders position themselves when the opponent has the ball in their own half", but when you watch a game your defenders obviously move depending on whether the opposition keeper has the ball or if they are about to dribble over the halfway line. So it's sometimes difficult to tell if I need to push up or drop deeper as I don't actually know where my dline is.

2 hours ago, Jack722 said:

Does the pitch diagram that you use to adjust line of engagement and defensive line translate directly to the pitch in game?

It seems like it roughly does for the line of engagement, but the description for defensive line says that it is "where your defenders position themselves when the opponent has the ball in their own half", but when you watch a game your defenders obviously move depending on whether the opposition keeper has the ball or if they are about to dribble over the halfway line. So it's sometimes difficult to tell if I need to push up or drop deeper as I don't actually know where my dline is.

Yeah, LOE sits roughly with the image, Aggressive players will press beyond that if a keeper or defender's dallying on the ball

I'd like a definitive answer on the DL too, I've been caught out over the top playing on a Cautious mentality a few times but I think that's been when we've been on the ball & the teams' moved up the pitch sending the backline with it leaving space behind.

Try & think of it as, the higher the DL the higher your team will play, when you win the ball back your defense will have pushed up so your play starts at that point. The deeper the DL the deeper your team will be set when they win the ball back 

Something along those lines anyway, I'm not 100% on it  :D

31 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, LOE sits roughly with the image, Aggressive players will press beyond that if a keeper or defender's dallying on the ball

I'd like a definitive answer on the DL too, I've been caught out over the top playing on a Cautious mentality a few times but I think that's been when we've been on the ball & the teams' moved up the pitch sending the backline with it leaving space behind.

Try & think of it as, the higher the DL the higher your team will play, when you win the ball back your defense will have pushed up so your play starts at that point. The deeper the DL the deeper your team will be set when they win the ball back 

Something along those lines anyway, I'm not 100% on it  :D

Thanks, yeah I think the DL pushes high up regardless of your setting when your in possession of the ball. I wonder if it is the rough position when the line of engagement is crossed? I'd have to look out for it next time I play.

3 hours ago, Jack722 said:

The defensive line you see in game definitely does not translate to the one you see on the diagram/picture. It is quite dynamic and changes based on the different phases of the game to keep the overall team shape compact. A team on higher defensive line will still drop deep into the box to defend if the opposition puts a cross into the box and a team on lower defensive line will still push up to keep the team shape compact if the opposition GK is taking a goal kick. My personal theory is that the defensive line changes based on the position of the most forward player of the other team as I have observed defensive line being pushed more forward when a support duty striker drops much deeper compared to on attack duty. The tactical settings is only a baseline for them to operate.

How do you stop fast strikers (and inside forwards) in this game engine? I'm very picky with my CBs, fast, strong, good composure, concentration, positioning, all that, I try to set my defensive line lower when I see them getting beat, I try to drop the offside trap, it just seems nothing works, they just run past between CBs with ease

Edited by palmamiguel92

3 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

How do you stop fast strikers (and inside forwards) in this game engine? I'm very picky with my CBs, fast, strong, good composure, concentration, positioning, all that, I try to set my defensive line lower when I see them getting beat, I try to drop the offside trap, it just seems nothing works, they just run past between CBs with ease

Balance is pretty imoortant for a defender too.

4 hours ago, Spartak Trigger said:

Can you still play a striker with a plays with back to goal PPM as an AF?

Cheers

Yeah of course, if the guys a brute. I have Big Juke at the Blues but I play him as a partner to an AF but no reason you can't play one as an AF so long as others are still getting forward 

Why cant players unlearn traits more easily?

Ive had this happen a few times, but lets take the example above me

I want a striker to stop playing with his back to goal. Why cant he unlearn that??? why is there some mental or technical attribute stopping him playing with his back to goal??

Stop getting forward whenever possible? cant do that.

Im literally asking you not to run forward as much, not do quantum physics mate. You cant unlearn running forwards more than I want?

59 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

Why cant players unlearn traits more easily?

Ive had this happen a few times, but lets take the example above me

I want a striker to stop playing with his back to goal. Why cant he unlearn that??? why is there some mental or technical attribute stopping him playing with his back to goal??

Stop getting forward whenever possible? cant do that.

Im literally asking you not to run forward as much, not do quantum physics mate. You cant unlearn running forwards more than I want?

Your question(s) is/are more for game developers than us, ordinary FM players. So you can hardly get a proper answer here. 

5 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

can you move my post?

I can only remove (delete) it, but there is no reason, because your post does not break any rules. 

6 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

what section does it go to?

Not sure, but I guess you could try in General discussion.

I can't get any attributes to increase for any players after a year, even Wonderkids egArezo in my Beijing save. Have best coaches possible, schedules and training set up best I can after going through guides etc. Could this be because of the league I am playing in?