Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, witticism said:

Does anyone know if the half-back specific movement to drop into the defense still happens if the HB is played in DCMR/DMCL position? Or is it unique to the DMC slot?

As far as I know, it still happens when the HB is played in DMCL/R. But HB drops between CBs only in the early build-up phase of play, but will move higher up the pitch as the attack progresses. 

• Replies 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

As far as I know, it still happens when the HB is played in DMCL/R. But HB drops between CBs only in the early build-up phase of play, but will move higher up the pitch as the attack progresses. 

oh good, it will be worth trying it out then, thanks!

What is a good trait to learn for a player that is very fast compared to the league's average (with good balance and agility), but no other stadnout abilities (aside from first touch)?  knocks ball past opponents?

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

knocks ball past opponents?

Yeah, usually my go-to for pace merchants. Maybe also "Likes To Try To Beat Offside Trap", if he's a forward with decent Concentration, Anticipation and Off The Ball.

On 03/04/2021 at 20:52, Freakiie said:

Both his videos are from older patches and Long Throws are one thing that specifically was looked at for the last ME update. My players straight up ignoring their instructions doesn't help either.

It does not ignore the routine, you need a pretty good long throw attribute, 14 or above, if not it will just not get to the box.

I got no problems setting up my long throws routine and the ME follows it suit.

Do you need to use opposition instructions if you are already marking tighter and closing down more in your tactic? For example if I'm already telling the players to be more urgent in the press then surely I don't need to use OI's to tell them to press more. 

22 minutes ago, silentwars said:

Do you need to use opposition instructions if you are already marking tighter and closing down more in your tactic? For example if I'm already telling the players to be more urgent in the press then surely I don't need to use OI's to tell them to press more. 

Opposition instructions apply to specific opposition players. They instruct your players how they should defend against a particular opponent when he is within their area of defensive responsibility at any point during a match.

On the other hand, tight marking and pressing urgency team instructions instruct your players how they should generally behave in the defensive phase of play, regardless of specific opposition players.

Therefore, your question of whether certain OIs should be used or not together with regular team instructions is impossible to answer properly because there are too many factors to be taken into account.

Basically, OIs should not be used for all opposition players but just a couple of them that you identify as "special" threats (in one way or the other). But you can also opt to use no OIs at all and let your players behave according to your regular team and player instructions. If you are unsure how OIs should be ideally used, then better not to use them. Because applying them in a wrong way can have an adverse effect on your overall defensive shape. 

If a PI directly contradicts a player's trait, does that PI at least have a tiny effect or it just straight up doesn't do anything?
For example: If I tell a player that "Likes to run with balls" to Dribble Less, will he actually dribble a bit less than he would have if I had not given him any specific indication (although obviously still dribbling quite a bit)?

17 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

For example: If I tell a player that "Likes to run with balls" to Dribble Less, will he actually dribble a bit less than he would have if I had not given him any specific indication (although obviously still dribbling quite a bit)?

Yes.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but what affects youth candidates age? I usually got between 16-17 year olds. This time, most of them are 15, with some 16 in the mix.

9 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Is the Complete Forward a playmaker role?

No. The only playmaker role among striker roles is the trequartista. 

10 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Or does it behave like a Target Man?

Again no. 

10 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Or neither and he'll just have no "ball magnet"?

Yes. He is neither a PM nor a TM nor a ball-magnet in any sense.

Much Shorter Passing 

In addition to lowering passing range below the range set by shorter passing, does this TI also lower width and tempo by one setting each? Or are width and tempo only affected by shorter passing, as opposed to the more extreme instruction?

1 hour ago, Ripamon said:

Much Shorter Passing 

In addition to lowering passing range below the range set by shorter passing, does this TI also lower width and tempo by one setting each? 

Any change of passing length affects tempo, albeit to a lesser degree than a direct change of tempo or a change of the team mentality (which automatically affects/adjusts all team instructions). 

As for width, I am not sure if passing length has an effect on width, but I know that short passing and extremely wide width do not generally go hand in hand. I mean, you can select both at the same time, but that essentially creates a tactical contradiction of sorts, which can have a negative effect on the tactic as a whole. 

Or are width and tempo only affected by shorter passing, as opposed to the more extreme instruction?

I don't know what you mean by "the more extreme instruction". Can you explain it in more detail? 

14 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Any change of passing length affects tempo, albeit to a lesser degree than a direct change of tempo or a change of the team mentality (which automatically affects/adjusts all team instructions). 

As for width, I am not sure if passing length has an effect on width, but I know that short passing and extremely wide width do not generally go hand in hand. I mean, you can select both at the same time, but that essentially creates a tactical contradiction of sorts, which can have a negative effect on the tactic as a whole. 

I don't know what you mean by "the more extreme instruction". Can you explain it in more detail? 

Thank you kindly for the reply. You're a big help to this forum in terms of your accuracy and consistency ❤️

I actually didn't know for certain that changing passing length affected tempo to a lesser degree than changing tempo directly. Although, now I think about it, reducing  passing length is more likely to give you something like "slightly lower tempo", which you can't achieve by adjusting the tempo slider. Thank you for that.

As for width, I was basing my assumptions on THOGs old lines and diamonds guide, where it explained that passing affects team width. Possibly the relationship has been decoupled. However, as you said, it's probably best to just use common sense here and not go with shorter passing and extreme width.

The "more extreme instruction" meant much shorter passing as opposed to just shorter passing. It was my understanding that much shorter passing replaced retain possession, and that extremely direct replaced go route one.

Alas, my outdated knowledge of the tactical creator  (I hadn't played since fm16, before getting 21) has caused me a bit of confusion, which is slowly getting cleared up. Gracias 

As for width, I was basing my assumptions on THOGs old lines and diamonds guide, where it explained that passing affects team width

Well, it probably affects width slightly by encouraging players to be a bit closer together so as to make the short-passing game feasible, but players on the opposite flank will still look to keep width. 

2 hours ago, Tibalg said:

When using a Raumdeuter, does he need to be on the same side as his prefered foot ? 

Not necessarily, but think about it this way :

It's easier for him to manufacture the space to shoot if he's in his strong side. Because all he has to do is run in a straight line once he's on the shoulder. However, because even though he's running straight, he's offcenter because of his position, his subsequent across body shot is a bit harder to score. So, easier to get the space to shoot, harder to score 

It's the opposite on his weak side. Now he'll have to angle his body inward to prepare the easy curled shot into the far post. But maybe a defender can close the gap because the raumdeuter has to slow slightly and open up his body.

So in this case, harder to get the space to shoot, easier to score if you do.

Of course, there are attributes that can make both instances much easier. Extreme pace and acceleration would benefit a raumdeuter who breaks through on his weaker side. Similarly, excellent finishing and technique would be more  valuable to a raumdeuter on his strong side.

Hope this helps a little. It's one of my favorite roles and I'm using it in my main tactic currently to spectacular effect 

Edited by Ripamon

I've taken a break, so now I'm back to reading on FM again and I'm having my head melted by Mentality again, probably as I've read too many contradictory information;

Basically, is the old information about mentality adjusting the passing range still true? So, positive mentalities make defend duties pass shorter and attack duties pass longer and vice versa? Would this mean, if I wanted to play cautious/defensive that I'd need to rectify the longer passing for defend duties with team instructions?

11 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I've taken a break, so now I'm back to reading on FM again and I'm having my head melted by Mentality again, probably as I've read too many contradictory information;

Basically, is the old information about mentality adjusting the passing range still true? So, positive mentalities make defend duties pass shorter and attack duties pass longer and vice versa? Would this mean, if I wanted to play cautious/defensive that I'd need to rectify the longer passing for defend duties with team instructions?

Yes, that remains true. 

What's also true is that most of the tactical theories and concepts on this forum were written between fm 15 and 16 and there have been quite a few changes to the tactics creator.

So basically, while passing range remains the same, there have been a host of other changes in the creator 

4 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

the dm role in a 4132 narrow with wingbacks. DM or halfback?

Depends on too many factors to be answered in a short and simple way. Therefore: start your own separate thread, explain what exactly you want in terms of playing style and post a screenshot of the tactic there (not here), and you'll get proper feedback.

This quickfire thread is not meant for the kind of questions like the one you asked.