England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we will draw with France, helps us to play them first really. They won't want to lose either, so will probably be more cautious in the opener than if we were playing them 2nd or 3rd.

We will beat Sweden.

Then either beat Ukraine, or draw if a draw is all we need.

What starting XI are people expecting on Monday then?

David James, Glen Johnson, Neil Ruddock, Mark Wright, Rob Jones; Jordan Henderson, Stevie G, Stewey Downing, John Barnes; Carroll and Collymoore.

First game, won't want to lose. Caution wins the day. I would say Downing ahead of "The Ox", then as above.

I expect Downing to start, but pray Ox actually starts. Also if Downing starts I half expect Carroll to start aswell.

I'm not Walcott's biggest fan, but hoping he starts against Sweden and Ukraine. I can see an argument for playing Milner against France, but he's not looked very comfortable in that position really. No real invention going forward, always looking for the sideways pass, and no pace whatsoever. He was beaten to the ball against Belgium about three times, even though he had a 5 yard head start each time.

Mancini went through a stage of preferring Milner in a big/away game to someone like Nasri because of his work rate, which paid off in games such as the 1-6. He's only really played CM for us when Barry or Yaya hasn't played, which isn't very often.

Milner hardly featured for us over the past 3 months anyway, so he must be lacking real match fitness

I don't know you tell me, you're the Utd fan :D

Who will he have infront of him for France, Ribery, Malouda?

Probably a proper midfield destroyer tbf, I would assume the winger won't be there to defend at all. A bit like Evra, actually :D And if they play either Rami or Mexes as the left sided cb they'll be open to all sorts of destruction down that side

I don't know you tell me, you're the Utd fan :D

Who will he have infront of him for France, Ribery, Malouda?

I'm the United fan with the shocking memory.

As Ice says, if they play a 4-2-3-1 and the left winger doesn't support Evra, the right could be a definite position to exploit.

I'm the United fan with the shocking memory.

As Ice says, if they play a 4-2-3-1 and the left winger doesn't support Evra, the right could be a definite position to exploit.

That's pretty much what they did against us in a friendly a couple of weeks ago (yeah, yeah, friendly and all that) and their right was a gaping hole for 90 minutes. Bebuchy was solid on the right but Evra was out of position for around 80 minutes of the match and Rami seemingly can't go faster than a slow jog

I'd like to use to go with the front 4 of Young, Welbeck, Ox and Walcott... imagine the devastation all that pace can cause, backed up by Cole/Johnson bombing on when possible..

Could be great (or could cause every match to be 4-4) :D

If our players played for anyone else but England, people would be saying they were class. If Young was French, or if Welbeck was German, or if Lescott was Polish, they would be considered to be top players on the opposing team. It's just because they play for England that people assume they'll under perform and get completely trounced by the likes of Ribery etc

If our players played for anyone else but England, people would be saying they were class. If Young was French, or if Welbeck was German, or if Lescott was Polish, they would be considered to be top players on the opposing team. It's just because they play for England that people assume they'll under perform and get completely trounced by the likes of Ribery etc

Um, no. No one doubts that Young, Welbeck, and Lescott are good players. It's the likes of Downing and Carroll that bother people.

I see a frustrating few games ahead with little possession and rushed attacking play that breaks down easily.

We wont qualify, and im already prepared for that since Hodgson was announced as Manager.

Anybody seen the Sun today? Pathetic, trying to make a story out of the fact that the FA have booked a provisional flight for the morning after the final group game.

Pretty sure they will also have booked provisional flights for the mornings after the QF, SF and final.

Idiots.

Archived