Russia V Slovakia Group B - KO 14:00

Suggy33

Bit of tension surrounding this one.

Russia apparently using the same team that played vs England which is disappointing. Golovin should have been benched.

Also just read that the main entrance of stadium has been closed due to suspect package?

From the first round of matches I suspect that despite the results Slovakia are better than Russia. Still didn't have enough confidence to put my money on Slovakia in the office betting pool, and went for a 1-1 draw instead.

Russia: Akinfeev, Smolnikov, Schennikov, Ignashevich, V. Berezutski, Neustädter, Golovin, Kokorin, Shatov, Smolov, Dzyuba

Slovakia: Kozáčik, Pekarík, Škrtel, Ďurica, Hubočan, Pečovský, Kucka, Hamšík, Mak, Weiss, Duda

Looks like Duda and Pecovsky are changes for Slovakia?

Russia unchanged.

Slovakia were being exposed on the wings vs Wales so I'd have played a proper winger in Samedov and moved Kokorin behind Dzyuba, with Shatov playing left.

Durica and Hubocan both played in RPL for a while now, Skrtel was of course there at one stage also. They Russian attackers should hopefully be familiar with how to beat them.

Starting to think now that, if Russia's fans kick off again today and they get disqualified, then depending on how results go in the rest of the Round 2 games UEFA might be best off just giving Wales a w/o win in the final round to ensure Russia finish bottom, because if Wales lost to England and Slovakia and England draw, then with Russia bottom with just the one point then Slovakia with 4 points should have enough to progress. Expunging the Russia results could royally screw them over.

Smolnikov definitely caught out for first, and then he and Ignashevich both sold by the cut inside.

2nd was just poor marking/closing in general. Cracking finish though. Sigurdsson could learn a thing or two from that.

Archived