What's your favorite country to plan in, and why?

I am curious what everyone's favorite country to play in is and also why, aside from it being your home country. Personally, I like playing in England due to the very deep pyramid as I'm a big fan of playing in the lower leagues. I'm fascinated at the prospect of leading a level 7 team as high as I can. I also really enjoy all the cup competitions available at any level. 

I've recently been really fond of Germany since the leagues are much smaller with 18/18/20 teams going down to B.Liga 3. Since getting a mod that unlocks the 4th and 5th levels, I'm liking it even more since the II teams are now playable. The newgens also come in about a year younger so that's cool. I also really like the membership fees that you get and the attendances seem higher. Oh and no silly work permit rules

Being a Jock I obvs spend the majority of my time in the Scottish leagues but if I'm doing a journey man (and also considering I can only handle having a few leagues playable) I like to go to Italy and Spain and back to Scotland.

I also have the German, French, Dutch and English leagues as playable but as of FM18 I stopped going into England as the transfer fees are just stupid (accurate I know but I want no part in it).

I did enjoy Germany but it used to be the youngsters had to be of a certain age to play and I love playing with youth so found that off putting, is this still the case?

Love the Dutch leagues for the quality youth prospects and academy and to be honest in all the years of playing like this I don't think I've ever actually gone and managed in France.

The Google Stadia news though has me excited for future releases though and the thought of opening up my game playing to other leagues as after 10 odd years of the big boy leagues I really fancy trying newer pastures.

I've always fancied trying America but it requires so much effort to get my head around the roster and wages.

Well obviously I play as my favourite team, so England. Then I usually end up managing Lyon, so that's France. Ajax in Holland too. But I'm a big fan of playing in Serie A - so many teams that seem about a similar level, with one big bad to defeat, and a lot of cool badges, kits, historic names (and I'm too young to remember anything but the tail end of Italian dominance, when Milan reached two CL finals in two years with a bunch of guys in their late 30s and Kaka). Argentina with the league structure changing the first 3-5 seasons on FM18 and FM19 is fun too (FM18 had it better, some seasons with a crazy number of games whereas on FM19 too many seasons where you only play each other once). 

I can never stick an MLS save past mid-season. 

Being a diehard llama, I usually start out in Northern Ireland because they are the worst, Jerry, the worst.  If I manage to claw my way up to near-respectability, I just follow my nose wherever it takes me but I try to eventually get to England and move up that interminable ladder of leagues.

I always like to start in England but move to a job abroad.

My dream job in saves once I'm a top level manager is one of the big Italian clubs (inter, AC, Juventus & Roma)

Also I would never turn down Benefica or Porto, like managing in Portugal and easy way to get some trophies.

Got to be Belgium for me, no foreign rule at all I love getting no marks in from all over, sell them on for a profit and it’s always a challenge to get into Europe as there’s five or six teams better then myself. Hardest part is finding the home grown players to field. 

I am always starting at Vanarama National League (South or North), because I am starting as unemployed and without coach license.

Then I am moving between Greece and Italy.

N Ireland for me too, as a start for a career although it has attractions in it's own right.  I like having three reserve/youth teams which makes developing players fun.  I also like that qualification for Europe brings in a relative windfall against  normal turnover.  Finally, there are two or three bigger clubs but breaking into the top six with most clubs is achievable.

I like to create a club below the Vanarama North/South and see how far i can take them, but other than that i quite like managing in Norway. Just a bit of a unique challenge, playing at a different time of the year than most the other leagues in Europe.

Holland for me is the one I keep going back to, very competitive league, 3 teams fighting for the title and another 3 or 4 striving for European football.

The youth prospects and how easy it is to sign Brazilian footballers makes the league a wheeler-dealers dream.

I’ve still not managed to take a Dutch team to champions league glory though, despite dominating domestic football, raising the overall standing of the country in European rankings and winning countless europa leagues

I wish FM adds more lower leagues and countries. I love playing as journeyman and experiencing multiple countries.

I like England due to the depth of league system and player database.

I also fancy playing Brazil: it's much fun to play regional, national and continental leagues. Even lower-league clubs have decent finance/structures.

Germany. It has my favourite team and the newgens have amazing personalities! Together with a generous squad registration it just is a fun league to develop long-term!

Technically I also play Spain quite often but that is less the league (I hate mandatory release clauses!) and far more the existence of Bilbao. 

I`ve been to a lot of places in europe and Asia but I really loved a save I had in Russia. You have to have a lot of domestic players, so you have to focus on developing talent, as buying russians is really expensive. Right now I``m in N.Ireland and loving the challenge! 

Would really recommend starting unemployed, it really forces you to manage places you would never even consider if you could just pick and choose :thup:

Wallis & Futuna. It's somehow really enthralling to see the country slowly create a history for itself, even when it's completely isolated. The fact it's extremely barebones makes it beginner friendly too. Definitely reccomended.

As for the regular leagues, I think Austria's old format (it's FM18 we're talking about after all), Scotland, Colombia and England all have their seperate merits that make them enjoyable. Haven't played in too many non-big leagues besides that I don't think.

Usually I play in England or Scotland because that's what I know, there is nothing more satisfying than getting a team from the Conference North or South into the League and beyond, likewise knocking Celtic off their perch with what was a bottom division is a challenge not to be missed.  I do have a soft spot for Cagilari in Italy the Italian league is definitely one of contrast what with your mega teams of Juve, Milano (both Inter and AC) etc. which can make managing one of the lesser teams more of a challenge as you are constantly losing better players for peanuts once the big boys take notice.  However, despite all of the above my favourite save ever was spent in the Chinese he rule of having only Chinese Goalkeepers is frustrating at times but the league setup is fairly straight forward.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

WHAT?!?! :eek:

This is a thing?

The save was a few editions back, so rules may have changed. I've not done a save in China this time yet. Update just checked rule is still in force. The Chinese league has several other nationality and age rules which the Chinese FA put in place to try and improve the standard of the National Team and to prevent the richer clubs from dominating by buying loads of foreign stars. I think the current foreign player limit is 3 per game. Makes for an interesting save believe me.

1 hour ago, Woolly said:

The save was a few editions back, so rules may have changed. I've not done a save in China this time yet. Update just checked rule is still in force. The Chinese league has several other nationality and age rules which the Chinese FA put in place to try and improve the standard of the National Team and to prevent the richer clubs from dominating by buying loads of foreign stars. I think the current foreign player limit is 3 per game. Makes for an interesting save believe me.

So you HAVE to have a Chinese keeper? That's amazing! 

I'm old enough to remember the 3 foreigner rule in club football back in the 90's. I liked it as it did keep the team nationality in check.

Personally whichever league I manage in I always try to have my squad home grown from the nation.

On 10/08/2019 at 15:50, SideLineBiscuit said:

I`ve been to a lot of places in europe and Asia but I really loved a save I had in Russia. You have to have a lot of domestic players, so you have to focus on developing talent, as buying russians is really expensive. Right now I``m in N.Ireland and loving the challenge! 

Although I enjoyed the Russian save I did, I couldn't stand the lack of games.  The season is so short and the offseason's long.  I did Chile right after and became addicted to it for many years.  Tons of games but not the silly amount like Brazil.  Rosters were manageable.  Rules a little tough to negotiate with youth on team but the challenge was fun.  Problem was, you can only do so much with a great team.  I think I prefer Spain and Italy as a balance of the two.  (Just adding that I've also played Scotland, England and Germany and had fun with all of them).

4 hours ago, metallimuse said:

So you HAVE to have a Chinese keeper? That's amazing! 

I'm old enough to remember the 3 foreigner rule in club football back in the 90's. I liked it as it did keep the team nationality in check.

Personally whichever league I manage in I always try to have my squad home grown from the nation.

There's a similar rule in Armenia.

The reason is that managers kept hiring foreign goalkeepers, and thus the Armenian goalkeepers never played, so the rule was created to help develop national talent for the position. Probably the same thing in China, if the rule is still in place.

Started a new save due to this thread.

Journeyman save with Belgian, French, Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Portugese all leagues loaded starting with no rep or badges and holiday'd applying to all jobs to actually get me out of the usual loop and venture into other nations.

6 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Started a new save due to this thread.

Journeyman save with Belgian, French, Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Portugese all leagues loaded starting with no rep or badges and holiday'd applying to all jobs to actually get me out of the usual loop and venture into other nations.

I actually started mine in North Ireland and have been loving it so far. who knew that the split season would be so much fun

I love managning in Germany, England, France Italy and Russia. Every single Fm version i have played so far i had save in these countries. I really can't pick the one i enjoy the most since i enjoy each of these countries for different reasons.

I usually play in England, simply because it's the (good) league I know best. The whole Brexit-thing is annoying though. Even more so when we don't even know if it will be a thing IRL. I feel SI could have waited a few incarnations and then implemented it with the actual restrictions (if it ever happens, that is!) rather than the lottery of outcomes they have implemented now. Oh well.

For some reason I like to play in the Netherlands too. 

A different and interesting place may be Belarus. I've just started a save in its second division where the league rules say that no foreign players are permitted, the match squad must include 4 players who are aged less than 20 and the starting players on the pitch must include 2 under 20 players. year olds

EDIT to make it more interesting I've just discovered that the 11players on the pitch must include  two under 20 year old players so if one these is injured or substituted you have to replace him with an U20 player from the bench

I don't think I've ever played a season outside of England. I almost exclusively do LLM to Premier challenges. Maybe I should try other divisions... the only problem with going outside England/Spain is it becomes quite easy to dominate the league. I mean OK France is hard cause of PSG but even Germany/Italy are kinda easy... as for all other leagues. As soon as you're challenging for the CL you're probably winning the league by 20 point margins every time....

Love playing in Portugal, as one of the teams outside the top trio. Have had some great saves with fx Braga and Vitoria. Lots of home grown talent, as well as an endless pool of cheap talent from Brazil. Great potential to grow if you do well. In one save, the league actually eventually overtook Ligue 1 and Serie A in the rankings.

13 hours ago, FMExperiment said:

I don't think I've ever played a season outside of England. I almost exclusively do LLM to Premier challenges. Maybe I should try other divisions... the only problem with going outside England/Spain is it becomes quite easy to dominate the league. I mean OK France is hard cause of PSG but even Germany/Italy are kinda easy... as for all other leagues. As soon as you're challenging for the CL you're probably winning the league by 20 point margins every time....

The point you're making about even some of the top leagues getting easy over time is valid. I've found France to fall in that category, not because PSG are easy to beat (they aren't) but because the mid to lower table sides are unable to sustain solid squads over time.  What ends up happening is that you cruise for 34 matches and by the time you play Monaco or PSG you're already 15 points ahead :)  ...

So I think it's the depth of quality in the EPL that makes it the most challenging over a long save. I've found Spain a close second in that sense. 

I'm Russian but I dont like to play in own leagues, because there are only two in FM (I dont like to use advanced databases) + long winter pause which I need to simulate in FM.
Also I hate our limit for foreign players in first XI

I like to play in

• Italy - a lot of staff, nice newgens, a lot of legendary clubs which I can to make great again.
  • Portugal - nice experience to find young talents and sell them in Europe
  • England - best place to create/manage current top club
  • Germany - simple reglament, nice conditions for clubs and best newgens value in Europe (in FM18 at least) and nice league in general

Archived