Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

I am amazed by the level of commitment and dedication by the community for testing, investigating and submitting bug reports. I don't know if any game has such privileges, to have people buy the game , their clients, which after a hard day of work or school they help the developers to track bugs and improve the game.  I for one am very impressed by the level of commitment from some of the people that posted bug reports like Mensell76, Mitja, Novem9, Weller1980, Amarante, JohnnyAce, pauly15 and many many others. For the last update of the game i am really expecting to see all the hard work that these people put into their bug reports to really pay off.  

The people who deserve it most outside of SI are the researchers and private beta guys and girls. Long before you've even seen a beta, they are playing hundreds of hours, slogging through what are often at times genuinely gamebreaking bugs. NDAs mean they never get named on here but their work is fundamental. Even now they'll be plugging away, and even after the final update, they will plug away for the next release. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 минут назад, Piperita сказал:

It really feels like Fullbacks are half the problem and that at lower mentalities they become more balanced because at higher ones they just run up and down and cross and cross and make any game their own whatever the original plan was. On lower ones they are more open to play balls and the central team mates are less likely to pass the easy way down the flank.

As I remember high mentalities are mean quick ball transit and more riskly decisions. So there is so logic isnt?

57 minutes ago, Piperita said:

After all the good I had to say, now I am confused.

I started a lower league file with pretty garbage players. All my fullbacks can play is No-Nonsense or on Defend duty. Yet those players are (besides expectable mistakes in defensive positioning) doing what I wanted all my Bundesliga teams to do. 

Two games in, I have three goals from beautiful through balls. Once from my IWa to my MCa who ran over half the pitch, twiche from my FBd/NFB to the supportive striker. 

Normally I wouldn't give two flying hoots about a two game observation but on my hundreds of played and thousands of analysed/goal-checked games I have never seen these balls played this controlled and intelligently. 

It really feels like Fullbacks are half the problem and that at lower mentalities they become more balanced because at higher ones they just run up and down and cross and cross and make any game their own whatever the original plan was. On lower ones they are more open to play balls and the central team mates are less likely to pass the easy way down the flank.

I've found similar in past versions. Sometimes there's a league level where you just hit a sweet spot for the way the ME is making its decisions. Trouble is you tend to leave that sweet spot as you improve your team and get promoted. 

Edited by rp1966

Quick question...

I'm playing as Truro. In League 2 in 4th season. I've got players in on trial from Championship but despite letting them go on trial, they won't loan them as they want them to play with "higher quality players". 

Understandable but why let them go on trial? 

Explanations appreciated!

13 hours ago, Kingstontom88 said:

Have shelved FM 19 for now. For all the features I like, the ME is making the game very difficult to enjoy. Known issues aside (particularly with central play and striker performance) I can count on one hand the types of goals I see - not just in my matches but in AI games. I thoroughly enjoyed watching matches during the early BETA - it was not perfect but felt more fluid and the variation in play was clear to see - I felt it even represented my tactics better.

For all things great about this year's version, the ME is making it difficult for me to stay glued to the game beyond one match. I go away for a few days, come back to it, but I just can't get into it properly this year.

The repetitiveness is caused a lot by AI. Basically, there are three patterns of play the AI uses and naturally, if you play more than just a few games, you will become bored very quickly as the AI teams all play the same, they just switch those three styles.

AI seriously aggravates all ME issues because it uses extremely negative tactics without any reason or context. For example - I played against Barcelona at Camp Nou. They needed to win because I was 7 points clear with a few matches to go. They were in a good form, scoring loads of goals. What happened? AI fielded two anchor men and two defensive wide  midfielders and they barely crossed the halfway line. Yes, Barcelona at home played like Stoke City. 

Even worse is another example - I played Leipzig in round of 16 UCL. They won the first game 2-1 at home (naturally, with only 2 shots on target against 15 of mine). So draw was enough for them. As I had expected, they fielded 5 defenders and 2 DM:-D After I finally scored, do you think they attacked? No, they continued playing the same football for 30 minutes and only in the 91st minute they finally pushed forward and stopped playing with 5 at the back.

Has anyone also noticed issue with woodwork? I started counting woodwork hits since game 15 of my season, I will soon play 37 game and my average is almost 2.3 per game. This is really a bit too much.

Edited by Martin#

On 16/01/2019 at 18:11, themadsheep2001 said:

The people who deserve it most outside of SI are the researchers and private beta guys and girls. Long before you've even seen a beta, they are playing hundreds of hours, slogging through what are often at times genuinely gamebreaking bugs. NDAs mean they never get named on here but their work is fundamental. Even now they'll be plugging away, and even after the final update, they will plug away for the next release. 

And aren’t they getting paid for it?

2 minutes ago, Armistice said:

So you’re telling me there are people who spend hundreds of hours doing testing for free...? What do these people do for a living? Who are they exactly?

On 16/01/2019 at 16:11, themadsheep2001 said:

19 hours ago, Kingstontom88 said:

Have shelved FM 19 for now. For all the features I like, the ME is making the game very difficult to enjoy. Known issues aside (particularly with central play and striker performance) I can count on one hand the types of goals I see - not just in my matches but in AI games. I thoroughly enjoyed watching matches during the early BETA - it was not perfect but felt more fluid and the variation in play was clear to see - I felt it even represented my tactics better.

For all things great about this year's version, the ME is making it difficult for me to stay glued to the game beyond one match. I go away for a few days, come back to it, but I just can't get into it properly this year.

Recognisable. Feels unreal to see SI not respond to any of these issues.

19 часов назад, NabsKebabs сказал:

I've shelved FM and started playing FIFA again...

I have no preconceptions to people who play in FIFA, but I think it should be private.
What example do you set for children?

I don't want my son to come home one day and say that he plays in FIFA.
I think parents need to check child fingers for traces from the gamepad and explain to then that if a stranger offers cards FUT its need to denied and inform police

Edited by Novem9

Wingback tries a cross it hits the defenders legs, winger/inside forward tries a cross/pass it hits the defenders legs, midfielders try through balls it hits the defenders legs, nearly 80% of shots from around the 18yd box will hit defenders legs Why? Probably because the AI team has 11 men in the box at all times trying to stop you scoring, they continually play ultra defensively at all times which makes is very hard to break them down. Now don't get me wrong I'm winning games, top of the league and through to the group stages of Europa League, all my players are averaging around 7.3, scoring goals ok but jeez it's boring as hell watching the games.

Apologies for not joining in the moaning.

I’m enjoying a really immersive save, building a club from the ground up, taking great care of the finances, slowly improving facilities, improving the coaching team, bringing through youth players, setting up training, giving senior pro’s the best years of their careers, creating a playing methodology for the club and seeing a match engine more than capable of realizing this during matches.

Yes, there is room for improvement in the ME, always will be as it’s a game, but I find talking of ‘binning’ the game till next year/next patch a bit ‘glass half empty’, each to their own of course but there’s a lot of great stuff here which seems to get overlooked with people constantly critiquing the Match Engine to the exclusion of everything else.  

In the interest of balance, I’d thought I’d get that out there:brock:

57 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Wingback tries a cross it hits the defenders legs, winger/inside forward tries a cross/pass it hits the defenders legs, midfielders try through balls it hits the defenders legs, nearly 80% of shots from around the 18yd box will hit defenders legs Why? Probably because the AI team has 11 men in the box at all times trying to stop you scoring, they continually play ultra defensively at all times which makes is very hard to break them down. Now don't get me wrong I'm winning games, top of the league and through to the group stages of Europa League, all my players are averaging around 7.3, scoring goals ok but jeez it's boring as hell watching the games.

I'm at a loss as to why full backs / wing backs insist on:

• Dribbling / cut inside / cross using their weaker foot despite their role / player instructions telling them to do the opposite
  • Delaying obvious crosses to players well positioned in the box, which get charged down / blocked when the decision is made too late

This has to be the only FM release that simultaneously make winning / over-achieving fairly easy, but at the same time unfulfilling.

32 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Allow me to join you in the unmoaning. Yes, there are a couple of issues with the game, but I haven't found anything to be remotely 'game-breaking', and I'm having too much fun to pay them much attention.

Another non-moaner here.

I've really enjoyed my beta save with Fiorentina that I played for four seasons. FM19 does have quite a few bugs and quirks, but I've been so impressed generally that I'm happy to begin my main career before the final update comes out. The only reason I haven't started it already is because of the Dutch Eerste Divisie play-off bug, but claassen's replacement Netherlands database appears to have fixed that, so I'm almost ready to go. :thup:

Edited by CFuller

1 minute ago, rdbayly said:

Has anybody ever seen this before? Probably the biggest slice I've luck I've ever had come my way in an FM game.

As an Arsenal fan, I find that very disheartening... and very unrealistic. :(

That's been in FM for a few versions now, though I've yet to encounter it in any of my saves (I've seen Man Utd fail the Premier League's FPP rules, but not UEFA's).

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

As an Arsenal fan, I find that very disheartening... and very unrealistic. :(

That's been in FM for a few versions now, though I've yet to encounter it in any of my saves (I've seen Man Utd fail the Premier League's FPP rules, but not UEFA's).

Any idea what rules have they breached and is there a way to look this up? Their net transfer spend was minimal in the season just finished. Perhaps it was wage increases? 

Just now, rdbayly said:

Any idea what rules have they breached and is there a way to look this up? Their net transfer spend was minimal in the season just finished. Perhaps it was wage increases? 

Arsenal > History > Landmarks

It should tell you that they failed financial fair play regulations of some sort (almost certainly UEFA's if they've been banned from the Champions League).

Also bear in mind that UEFA's FFP rules take into account spending over the previous three seasons. I'm sure you can find a bit more by going to Champions League > Overview > Rules.

1 hour ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I’m enjoying a really immersive save, building a club from the ground up, taking great care of the finances, slowly improving facilities, improving the coaching team, bringing through youth players, setting up training, giving senior pro’s the best years of their careers, creating a playing methodology for the club and seeing a match engine more than capable of realizing this during matches.

Yes, there is room for improvement in the ME, always will be as it’s a game, but I find talking of ‘binning’ the game till next year/next patch a bit ‘glass half empty’, each to their own of course but there’s a lot of great stuff here which seems to get overlooked with people constantly critiquing the Match Engine to the exclusion of everything else.  

In the interest of balance, I’d thought I’d get that out there:brock:

45 minutes ago, warlock said:

haven't found anything to be remotely 'game-breaking'

Each to their own save I guess but the constant major bugs kill the game off and to those that are die hard fans take the game "seriously" as if they're immersed into the game really have a hard time submitting to this ME. I'm sure you've seen the highlights of these major issues like crossing, wingbacks, striker movement etc. and these outweigh the positives in most cases as it's trying to be a simulation of football and without those certain things and roles in the right procedure it ruins what it's meant to be. Look at long shots for example, they are huge and happens every single game, do you constantly want to score or concede long goals? no because in reality it happens less often borderline rarely in comparison to inside the box goals. 

Much like the way you want to play, working the ball in the box to have like 180 touches in the box and scoring like 12-20. Possession game you can barely work because all you're doing is keeping the ball and shooting miles away and losing it again, it's heavily favoured in certain tactics. Most high tempo uses are pathetic and have tested it out many a times with 3 patches being the beta, .1 and .2. 

Some weird reasons as to why certain formations don't work aswell with certain styles. For example playing wide with short passing, it happens in a lot of top teams yet almost counter intuitive in the game, why?! it's almost like it isn't there to fit what the player wants but what the game wants, if thats the case then people aren't going to like it. All I can say is these massive issues is what is killing the game for most people, they've posted it on forums and they've acknowledged it but the wait for it to change and the constant wait for the game to be "fine" takes far too long. People expect the game to be more or less great for when it releases but this year they've took a step back. Compare it to 18 and you'll find that 18 had problems fixed early and those major issues was nipped till their 2nd big patch. Look at 17 which is arguably the best in recent times, they did an amazing job for that game why not just build from it? barely any major bugs nor minor ones, the ME and graphics was a lot better and the fact the roles worked as they did when you told them was what made the game what it was. Of course coding and other tech stuff has a big part but surely if you built a decent game and worked on it to improve then you'd stick to it but they didn't, they revamped it twice in 3 years and are paying for it in some cases.  

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

Arsenal > History > Landmarks

It should tell you that they failed financial fair play regulations of some sort (almost certainly UEFA's if they've been banned from the Champions League).

Also bear in mind that UEFA's FFP rules take into account spending over the previous three seasons. I'm sure you can find a bit more by going to Champions League > Overview > Rules.

image.thumb.png.698979fb7eb617cb6413904e848c0bf6.png

They breached BOTH the UEFA and Premier League FFP. Madness.

Europe League FFP states that clubs must not make a loss of more than £4.48m over a three season period.

Premier League FFP states that clubs must not make a loss of more than £15m over a three season period and wage expenditure must not increase by £7m on the previous season. I'm not sure if they failed one of both of these domestically.

Edited by rdbayly

4 minutes ago, BigV said:

Each to their own save I guess but the constant major bugs kill the game off and to those that are die hard fans take the game "seriously" as if they're immersed into the game really have a hard time submitting to this ME. I'm sure you've seen the highlights of these major issues like crossing, wingbacks, striker movement etc. and these outweigh the positives in most cases as it's trying to be a simulation of football and without those certain things and roles in the right procedure it ruins what it's meant to be. Look at long shots for example, they are huge and happens every single game, do you constantly want to score or concede long goals? no because in reality it happens less often borderline rarely in comparison to inside the box goals. 

To be honest, it's hard to take criticism too seriously if you resort to such hyperbole.

You also need to realise that not everyone is experiencing this. For every several users who are seeing loads of long-range goals, you'll also find several users who are not (of which I am one, as if I haven't made that clear enough).

10 minutes ago, BigV said:

All I can say is these massive issues is what is killing the game for most people, they've posted it on forums and they've acknowledged it but the wait for it to change and the constant wait for the game to be "fine" takes far too long. People expect the game to be more or less great for when it releases but this year they've took a step back. Compare it to 18 and you'll find that 18 had problems fixed early and those major issues was nipped till their 2nd big patch. Look at 17 which is arguably the best in recent times, they did an amazing job for that game why not just build from it? barely any major bugs nor minor ones, the ME and graphics was a lot better and the fact the roles worked as they did when you told them was what made the game what it was. Of course coding and other tech stuff has a big part but surely if you built a decent game and worked on it to improve then you'd stick to it but they didn't, they revamped it twice in 3 years and are paying for it in some cases.  

On this point... you never answered my question from last week. What do you want SI to do differently for FM20, in terms of bug release fixes? Do you want SI to release new updates every month, every fortnight, every week... every day?

I personally can understand why SI want to take time with each big update, instead of carelessly rushing them out and potentially making the game worse, just because a small percentage of users are unhappy.

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

Yeah, that'll be why Arsenal were kicked out.

They breached BOTH the UEFA and Premier League FFP. Madness.

Europe League FFP states that clubs must not make a loss of more than £4.48m over a three season period.

Premier League FFP states that clubs must not make a loss of more than £15m over a three season period and wage expenditure must not increase by £7m on the previous season. I'm not sure if they failed one of both of these domestically.

16 minutes ago, CFuller said:

You also need to realise that not everyone is experiencing this. For every several users who are seeing loads of long-range goals, you'll also find several users who are not (of which I am one, as if I haven't made that clear enough).

I find it hard to believe that you don´t experience long shot problems. Check out AI vs AI matches. You may think that just because you do not see it as often in the games you take part in, you are fine but it does not mean that you are not affected by it. You are a part of the football world the game offers to you, and this world, in its current state, suffers from long shot issues. You may mitigate the issue to a certain degree but AI can´t. Just check 10 or 20 AI vs AI machtes and tell me it is fine.

Although goals from outside the box happen slightly more ingame versus real life, it's a delight to see that 25 yards curved shot go in the top corner (if you're not the one conceding it that is :D ). This never happened in any previous version of FM and it's a massive improvement. I would hope the last update will not stop these from happening in the manner that in FM 18 goals from freekicks were almost extinct. I for one will participate in the public beta and if long shot goals dissapear from the game i will never update to the latest build when it's live.

4 minutes ago, Martin# said:

I find it hard to believe that you don´t experience long shot problems. Check out AI vs AI matches. You may think that just because you do not see it as often in the games you take part in, you are fine but it does not mean that you are not affected by it. You are a part of the football world the game offers to you, and this world, in its current state, suffers from long shot issues. You may mitigate the issue to a certain degree but AI can´t. Just check 10 or 20 AI vs AI machtes and tell me it is fine.

I have checked some AI vs AI matches. Yes, there are slightly more long-range goals than one would expect, but the numbers aren't at ridiculous levels. They are certainly not happening "every single game".

Edited by CFuller

51 minutes ago, Martin# said:

This 100%. When ME has a certain glaring deficiency, people are smart enough to find a work around that mitigates the issue. But that doesn't mean the issue is not there. To me it makes more sense to always watch the AI vs. AI games to evaluate the ME.

56 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Although goals from outside the box happen slightly more ingame versus real life, it's a delight to see that 25 yards curved shot go in the top corner (if you're not the one conceding it that is :D ). This never happened in any previous version of FM and it's a massive improvement. I would hope the last update will not stop these from happening in the manner that in FM 18 goals from freekicks were almost extinct. I for one will participate in the public beta and if long shot goals dissapear from the game i will never update to the latest build when it's live.

Agree with this too. That's why it is difficult for SI to find the balance, and how to reach it, because I am sure with each approach there will be potential huge knock-ons. Personally I think biggest reason is AI defenders always staying too deep and never stepping up to the opponent player who is about to take a wide open shot from just outside the box. Human managers can mitigate this, but AI doesn't, and it kills the ME at this moment imo.

Edited by bleventozturk

Most of the goals from outside the box don't look particularly unrealistic.  The issue is that defenders don't close down with enough urgency at the edge of the area.  If IRL players were given that much space to shoot from 15-20 yards out, they'd probably score plenty of goals from there too.

4 hours ago, CFuller said:

To be honest, it's hard to take criticism too seriously if you resort to such hyperbole.

On this point... you never answered my question from last week. What do you want SI to do differently for FM20, in terms of bug release fixes? Do you want SI to release new updates every month, every fortnight, every week... every day?

I personally can understand why SI want to take time with each big update, instead of carelessly rushing them out and potentially making the game worse, just because a small percentage of users are unhappy.

Of course some won't experience this but the majority do and to think it's not majority is being naive IMO especially when it's all over the forums... if in that case why do people have different ME issues? why are they different? if your experience is "fulfilled" then it isn't hard to replicate it for everyone else is it. 

I mustn't have seen it but to answer it now i'd say release a game that has been tested thoroughly and working "fine/just right" rather than releasing such things that are damaging the game and it's community. If that doesn't work then release a game every 2 years and update the patches when needed to better it as you can get so much more done and added and tested to make sure it's great. Of course this will hit hard on money and all other factors internal but you either weigh your options of bringing a game out every year where it needs to be at a standard or your forfeit that and lose what you've built. 

I totally understand that and i'm sure people do but to bring a game out that has had problem after problem with each update, you're going to demand more from them and in hindsight both sides are right. We should wait for the right moment for them to sort it out but we should've also had a game that satisfies most players and that hasn't happened at all. You can't expect a community of people to take this lightly especially when it's the fans that make this game what it is.

Also better feedback from the SI would be useful, all we do is get told it's logged, logging it doesn't mean much these days as some bugs still persist. If we get feedback every few weeks or monthly (although it maybe too far for that now) of what's happening behind the scenes with the major bugs then people would be less responsive angry driven and take it as a sign of "they're trying to fix it" rather than looking at past data which shows "ME issues" don't usually get updated by march's update and stop playing all together.  

5 minutes ago, BigV said:

Of course some won't experience this but the majority do and to think it's not majority is being naive IMO especially when it's all over the forums... if in that case why do people have different ME issues? why are they different? if your experience is "fulfilled" then it isn't hard to replicate it for everyone else is it. 

I mustn't have seen it but to answer it now i'd say release a game that has been tested thoroughly and working "fine/just right" rather than releasing such things that are damaging the game and it's community. If that doesn't work then release a game every 2 years and update the patches when needed to better it as you can get so much more done and added and tested to make sure it's great. Of course this will hit hard on money and all other factors internal but you either weigh your options of bringing a game out every year where it needs to be at a standard or your forfeit that and lose what you've built. 

I'm sorry, but are you assuming SI don't test their game "thoroughly" before they release it? I think you'll find through reading back on some recent posts in this thread that this is quite simply incorrect.

And as has been explained before numerous times before, switching to a bi-annual release schedule would be disastrous for SI, so that is a non-starter.

8 minutes ago, BigV said:

I totally understand that and i'm sure people do but to bring a game out that has had problem after problem with each update, you're going to demand more from them and in hindsight both sides are right. We should wait for the right moment for them to sort it out but we should've also had a game that satisfies most players and that hasn't happened at all. You can't expect a community of people to take this lightly especially when it's the fans that make this game what it is.

Also better feedback from the SI would be useful, all we do is get told it's logged, logging it doesn't mean much these days as some bugs still persist. If we get feedback every few weeks or monthly (although it maybe too far for that now) of what's happening behind the scenes with the major bugs then people would be less responsive angry driven and take it as a sign of "they're trying to fix it" rather than looking at past data which shows "ME issues" don't usually get updated by march's update and stop playing all together.  

It's almost like they've weighed this up already and gone with what works best. Cutting your revenue in half because a minority of fans on a forum that holds a minority of the fanbase is frustrated would quite frankly be madness. Which is why it hasn't happened 

I mean, they have quite recently, and by that I mean yesterday mentioned that it's impossible to try and put time frames on things, but they do intend on trying update the beta. 

3 hours ago, jujigatame said:

Most of the goals from outside the box don't look particularly unrealistic.  The issue is that defenders don't close down with enough urgency at the edge of the area.  If IRL players were given that much space to shoot from 15-20 yards out, they'd probably score plenty of goals from there too.

Agreed. That's why I think the problem is with the AI defense, and not the shots being too accurate. And I fear that if SI decided to decrease the shot accuracy as a workaround, we may this time almost never see these beautiful goals. Balance is the key :)

17 minutes ago, bleventozturk said:

Agreed. That's why I think the problem is with the AI defense, and not the shots being too accurate. And I fear that if SI decided to decrease the shot accuracy as a workaround, we may this time almost never see these beautiful goals. Balance is the key :)

Yeah they shouldn't touch the accuracy. They need to look at the defensive space. Some AI teams don't defend this well enough. 

I have to retract my statement slightly.  There are a few too many perfectly placed 30 yard screamers, which seem unlikely whether a player is properly defended or not.  But I still think long-range accuracy only needs a slight tweak.  The defending is more of an issue.

Goalkeeping could stand to be improved as well.  Sometimes these shots come from so far away and it seems like the keeper has plenty of time to react, and they just ... don't.

Edited by jujigatame