Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

i am also enjoying 19 more than 18. Although i don't deny there are some tweaks that must be made to ME regarding attacking movement , this doesn't stop me enjoying it. Oh, and if those tweaks improve it some more, all the better. This game is a solid 8 for me right now.

Edited by andu1

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

Amen. Does he get some good chances (not counting one on ones, as they tend to get saved in this ME)? 

I have the same with Paco Alcacer, gets plenty of good chances, but doesnt convert them. 

Yeah, he's getting foiled by seemingly incredible blocks in the 6 yard box when he volleys off a cross, heading it over like players always seemed to on FM18 if you didn't tick Low Crosses, and missing one-on-ones. He's also missing the one where they receive it in the box, turn and try and blast it into the far corner, but Reus scores a lot of those. Then again, Reus has better Finishing, Technique, First Touch and Composure than him. I think he's probably better in a two-man strike partnership.

Paco was great for me, tbh, but that was before the two ME updates. He was good as a SS on my current save though.

5 ore fa, CFuller ha scritto:

Yet this feeling is not universal. I for instance have been playing CM/FM since 1999 and am enjoying FM19. What exactly is the point you are trying to make, and what do you want SI to do about it?

I have been playing since 2003 (but with a 6 year break in total) and i'm enjoying 19. 

But i have to say that this is an atypical game. 

In the sense that we have had several upgrades in (very important) aspects of the game (ME, tactics, scouting, regens....) but there is one aspect that FM always missing: the making of enviroment.

(In some way) FM is more like a rpg. But while in a typical RPG they set the world for you, in FM you have to know the world before the game. And while at start you can know the world using the real one (obviously, it's a simulation), when you pass 10 or more game's years you find yourself in a half dead world where you don't know the difference between a World class and a player in hungarian division (i mean in media impact, influence etc...).

Irl i can ask to give me some names to someone totally out of football world and they know Messi, Ronaldo and some past stars like Maradona.

While playing in FM you don't know who Pelè is and neither who is the Messi of the game years.

So when you start to need the world to feeling the simulation, you lost interess in the game.

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

6 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

It should be telling that people who have played consistently for over 5 years at least, such as myself, have found complete disinterest in the game this year. 

I 100% agree with you about striker movements, this is something that I expect to be fixed in the upcoming patch. If not, I think SI will have some serious explaining to do.

However, the game is far from unplayable, and I have a similar interest level as I had the previous one. There are some aspects of the game I really like. The AI, for example, seems way more likely to go hyper aggressive at the end of games to get the win/equalizer than it used to be. This has caught me out once or twice, you have to be on your toes.

2 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

However, the game is far from unplayable, and I have a similar interest level as I had the previous one. There are some aspects of the game I really like. The AI, for example, seems way more likely to go hyper aggressive at the end of games to get the win/equalizer than it used to be. This has caught me out once or twice, you have to be on your toes.

I often see AI teams switching to a three-striker set-up when they're chasing a game against my team (whether that was SI's intention or not, I do not know). That too has caught me unawares every now and then, but I now have a good idea of how to react to it.

11 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

(In some way) FM is more like a rpg. But while in a typical RPG they set the world for you, in FM you have to know the world before the game. And while at start you can know the world using the real one (obviously, it's a simulation), when you pass 10 or more game's years you find yourself in a half dead world where you don't know the difference between a World class and a player in hungarian division (i mean in media impact, influence etc...).

Irl i can ask to give me some names to someone totally out of football world and they know Messi, Ronaldo and some past stars like Maradona.

While playing in FM you don't know who Pelè is and neither who is the Messi of the game years.

I agree, in a way. SI could always make improvements in terms of immersing FMers into long-term saves.

To be honest, I don't have any major issues with immersion personally, as I always like to keep up-to-date with the major leagues and the big international tournaments, even if I'm managing in League One (as I am right now). While names like Clive Johnson, Domenico Papa and Andrzej Wolanski might mean absolutely nothing to anyone else, I'll always remember them as truly legendary newgens from my FM13 save who - at their peak - were every inch as great as Ronaldo, Messi and Modric are today. I never managed any of them, yet I remember them almost as fondly as some real-life players.

Constantly having to deal with the player 'interaction' element of this game is like trying to sit through an episode of Love Island, or a badly written Hollyoaks plot.

I just picked my Europa League squad, and because of restrictions, was forced to leave a player out. I decide not to register my fourth choice defensive midfielder (who has been backup for the last 18 months). 

He comes complaining to me, to which I explain that due to registration restrictions, someone had to miss out. He of course swears revenge and that I've not heard the last of the issue.

Next thing I know, the entire squad comes to me demanding to know why I've treated the unregistered player 'unfairly'

image.thumb.png.c0abdea6b6e4b8ca058d4ce1837be975.png 

My personal opinion on dynamics is that if you can't code context, don't include the module at all. It adds nothing to the game.

Just now, rdbayly said:

Constantly having to deal with the player 'interaction' element of this game is like trying to sit through an episode of Love Island, or a badly written Hollyoaks plot.

I just picked my Europa League squad, and because of restrictions, was forced to leave a player out. I decide not to register my fourth choice defensive midfielder (who has been backup for the last 18 months). 

He comes complaining to me, to which I explain that due to registration restrictions, someone had to miss out. He of course swears revenge and that I've not heard the last of the issue.

Next thing I know, the entire squad comes to me demanding to know why I've treated the unregistered player 'unfairly'

My personal opinion on dynamics is that if you can't code context, don't include the module at all. It adds nothing to the game.

But were you able to settle the concerns? If this was such a non-issue, as you're making it to be, you would have been easily able to?

8 минут назад, rdbayly сказал:

This may be due to the fact that he has a high influential player, and / or his social group in the team stood up for him. Especially if it is an integral part of the core group

I agree that some reactions of players like infantile children, but it needs to be improved, not closed

Also most problems are solved by a simple explanation of their actions. And you need to accept that sometimes it will not be such that everyone will be happy. But this is normal, in many clubs there are temporarily dissatisfied players.

Edited by Novem9

I like new social system and just one example for this. I moved to new club and this reputation was a little higher that my rep. A lot of players were wary about my hire.

One player got into tough opposition to me. He literally disagreed with my every decision. I sold him in next season, but I checked other players for interest. Just 2-3 players were agreed with him, but most team were dislike him. This was interesting moment of my save when team was divided into two groups.

For me this is very interesting part of game. I can see loyality of some players and I can trust them and dont for some opposite players.
I really want to see it deeper and better in future. We have few examples IRL, the most famous Cavani vs Neymar

Edited by Novem9

24 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

But were you able to settle the concerns? If this was such a non-issue, as you're making it to be, you would have been easily able to?

Indeed I was able to settle it easily. In fact any of the very limited dialogue options would have instantly 'turned them green' (I reloaded to test this). So it begs the question; what is the point of it?

All it does is clog up an already bloated inbox with irrelevant fluff. My mate told me he has quit the game because he said he spends all day at work trawling through emails, so why would he want to come home and do the same in a game?

Edited by rdbayly

Just now, rdbayly said:

Indeed I was able to settle it easily. In fact any of the very limited dialogue options would have instantly 'turned them green' (I reloaded to test this). So it begs the question; what is the point of it?

So it really was a non issue? The squad had questions, but it was easily solvable. Quite obviously not all of them will be, but this was.

Player interactions have always been a tedious, random waste of time. I had a couple of classics last week.

"Sorry about the injury - just try to focus on your recovery"
"Don't patronise me :mad:"

eh

and then a few days later

"Just wanted to say your place in the team is safe, get well soon etc"
"Yes well I would rather not be injured at all :mad:"

er

Just now, ceefax the cat said:

Player interactions have always been a tedious, random waste of time. I had a couple of classics last week.

"Sorry about the injury - just try to focus on your recovery"
"Don't patronise me :mad:"

eh

and then a few days later

"Just wanted to say your place in the team is safe, get well soon etc"
"Yes well I would rather not be injured at all :mad:"

er

So you lacked respect.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

So it really was a non issue? The squad had questions, but it was easily solvable. Quite obviously not all of them will be, but this was.

And it's precisely these kinds of non-issues that shouldn't be raised at all. That is literally my point.

Just now, rdbayly said:

And it's precisely these kinds of non-issues that shouldn't be raised at all. That is literally my point.

They had a concern, whether big or small. You handled it.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

So you lacked respect.

You'll have to explain that one. In at least one of those conversations the option I selected was the only one available! And what is disrespectful about taking time to talk to an injured player - even reassuring them that it won't affect their first team place? 

You'll have to explain that one. In at least one of those conversations the option I selected was the only one available! And what is disrespectful about taking time to talk to an injured player - even reassuring them that it won't affect their first team place? 

It doesn't need explaining? You lacked their respect. You didn't have a reputation that demands their respect. Either that or they have a poor personality.

If you think it's fine that 17 employees knocking at a manager's door demanding an explanation or apology (when neither is required), then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

This kind of inconsequential news seems to me to be fillers to justify the existence of the dynamics module.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

It doesn't need explaining? You lacked their respect. You didn't have a reputation that demands their respect.

My reputation is low so the idea of me supporting them while injured angers them? You honestly can't see that that makes very little sense? You think that a 'talk to player about injury' button with 1 or 2 options - both supportive - and one possible (negative) outcome makes for satisfying gameplay?

My reputation is low so the idea of me supporting them while injured angers them? You honestly can't see that that makes very little sense? You think that a 'talk to player about injury' button with 1 or 2 options - both supportive - and one possible (negative) outcome makes for satisfying gameplay?

If you don't have respect, you don't have respect for your opinions. If it is as clear cut as you think, why not submit a bug report with a save? That way it can be sorted 100%.

3 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

So your advice to the FM player is simply not to interact with your squad if you have a low reputation? I bet that's what real managers do! Awesome gameplay

You made your own assumption. Take the entire context into account. You have that and a few responses. You need to decide as manager what to say. Again, if it's clear cut submit a bug report with a save from before.

I can't decide as manager what to say because there's one option and it annoys them. You're clearly pretty determined to bat for FM on this one so I'll leave it there. Everyone knows player interaction is pish though - identical pish every year too! Toodle-oo for now.

I'm batting on the side of logic. Not SI. 3rd time, if it's as clear as you're making it out to be, submit a bug report. It'll eliminate the big doubts. I've told you what it's likely to be ---- We are lacking the context so a bug report with a save game will show everything.

The logic is beside the point and it doesn't have to be a bug to be bad. I dare say you're correct about the reason my players got offended, and that the module is functioning as it was designed to. I'm saying that the lack of options, the vagueness / innocuousness of the interaction and the fact there are very limited clues as to what your player's opinion of you really is make it a rubbish, unrewarding feature that amounts to a combination of vague guesswork and random chance.

[BUY VALDIVIA GROCERIES?]

*ok, what's the harm*

[SELECT ITEM]
- Cookies

*cookies it is then...*

VALDIVIA: I can't believe you dared to buy me cookies. You haven't heard the last of this

• SI Staff
On 25/01/2019 at 22:50, edien1993 said:

i checked the dynamics and there is absolutely no good reason for the drop in proff and ambition at least not fro 17 proff and 17 ambition to 13 and 13 ... nobody in my squad actually has that low stats in those areas ... and as you said squad dynamics personality drops are less powerful then mentoring so this should never be able to happen at least not to this extent ... your game is broken and you trying to say it isn't is just funny to me ... not trying to be a d*** but what you wrote doesn't add up ...  lucky for me ive noticed this early on and have 2 different saves to prove my point so i will attach 3 pictures with paulo dias on 5 jan 2023 and 19 jan 2023 plus squad dynamics .....

as for 190 ca+ and 20 det amb and proff its a challange not something you can easily do and that is the point of it ... for it i need ronaldo to tutor 3 wonderkids then make the wonderkids tutor/mentor other players with similar positions(+other postions in midfield apart from wingers) then i slowly work my way to the central def and wingbacks but by then the team dynamics already help alot in acheving my goals ... unrealistic to you but to me its more then possible at least it was on fm 18 ... now i doubt it cause you work hard to give your player the perfect personality and then he losses it just cause he gets injured for 3 weeks or other BS that's not how mentality and basic psychology works people don't change their personality cause of non traumatic events like that ... 

fix this game please !!!

20190125_231335.jpg

20190125_231443.jpg

If you believe you have a bug please head over to our bugs forum and open up a post, including  any relevant information such as screenshots and a save. We can investigate from there :)

The logic is beside the point and it doesn't have to be a bug to be bad. I dare say you're correct about the reason my players got offended, and that the module is functioning as it was designed to. I'm saying that the lack of options, the vagueness / innocuousness of the interaction and the fact there are very limited clues as to what your player's opinion of you really is make it a rubbish, unrewarding feature that amounts to a combination of vague guesswork and random chance.

[BUY VALDIVIA GROCERIES?]

*ok, what's the harm*

[SELECT ITEM]
- Cookies

*cookies it is then...*

VALDIVIA: I can't believe you dared to buy me cookies. You haven't heard the last of this

Again, if you believe something to be a bug, please report it as one, ideally with a save beforehand. Thanks.

• SI Staff
On 26/01/2019 at 00:50, edien1993 said:

Forgot to post dynamics my bad ... Due to these dynamics on 5th jan and 15th jan i think there is no good reason for this sudden drop ... all players have greater stats then 13 13 in proff and ambition ... i want you to prove me wrong or fix this game that's all i want cause i love fm and want to play it my way and not be limited by randomness ...  

20190125_231352.jpg

20190125_231455.jpg

That's the Hierarchy page, I was referring to Social Groups. If you include this in your bug post though I can investigate :thup:

It seems several of you misinterpreted what I said earlier. Not sure if there's a language barrier, or you just read what you wanted to. 

For one, I never said the game was unplayable. In fact, when I stopped playing in November last year, I was top of the league and cruising. 

The problem is the lack of being able to create what I want the way I want. A lot of my style of play involves movement of the front 3, with all contributing to goals and assists. I never had a problem in previous FMs, even with FM18's constant nature to blaze it over at 5 yards. This year, there is a genuine lack of movement intelligence in players, and yes, that is a problem, and yes, it should be resolved. Pawing it off for FM20 is insulting the people who spend their hard earned money on this game every year. Bugs are there to be fixed, not pushed to the next edition. 

Also, when I said long time fan members have lost interest, I meant that a large amount of the fanbase have stopped playing, of which SI should acknowledge. These are all paying customers who are disappointed. 

Obviously, this may not be some of you, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. 

A few of you seem to assume your opinion is more valid than ours who have a genuine issue with the game. 

10 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

The problem is the lack of being able to create what I want the way I want. A lot of my style of play involves movement of the front 3, with all contributing to goals and assists. I never had a problem in previous FMs, even with FM18's constant nature to blaze it over at 5 yards. This year, there is a genuine lack of movement intelligence in players, and yes, that is a problem, and yes, it should be resolved. Pawing it off for FM20 is insulting the people who spend their hard earned money on this game every year. Bugs are there to be fixed, not pushed to the next edition. 

Not all bugs can be easily fixed, though. In a game like FM, it's inevitable that some will still be present from one version to the next (though most of those are arguably very, very minor).

11 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Also, when I said long time fan members have lost interest, I meant that a large amount of the fanbase have stopped playing, of which SI should acknowledge. These are all paying customers who are disappointed. 

I'm not sure how accurate SteamCharts is, but it perhaps defeats your point. This December just gone, the number of concurrent FM19 players on Steam apparently peaked at 70,000. The previous December, the number of concurrent FM18 players peaked at around 63,000. You can't really say "a large amount of the fanbase" has stopped playing in that case, can you?

10 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

I don't understand why they didn't roll the ME back to the (very popular) beta within hours of updating it, as the complaints came in and it became clear there were some awful bugs. Did I miss something and there were actually enormous bugs in the beta ME?

If SI rolled the ME back to its beta state (which in my view wasn't really that much better than it is now, if at all), they would undo all the tweaks that were done between then and now. That would be an astonishing backwards step.

16 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

I don't understand why they didn't roll the ME back to the (very popular) beta within hours of updating it, as the complaints came in and it became clear there were some awful bugs. Did I miss something and there were actually enormous bugs in the beta ME?

They seem to live by the motto 'Never look back' :)  (Certainly never roll back!)

I get where you're coming from  - a perfectly coded feature that is just poor conceptually is not a bug. Any change to it would technically be a feature request. A bug is something that is not working to specification. The original specification to the coders being wrong is different category.

However SI may treat reports of both as 'bug' reports for simplicity's sake.

Edited by rp1966

16 minutes ago, CFuller said:

If SI rolled the ME back to its beta state (which in my view wasn't really that much better than it is now, if at all), they would undo all the tweaks that were done between then and now. That would be an astonishing backwards step.

A lot of users seem to think the update was itself an astonishing backwards step

A lot of users are actually a minority of the forum which is a minority of the forum. Which is ultimately less relevant in the grand scheme if things if it results in a far better match. Listening to a loud minority who don't have access to the same facts as you are is never a good idea. 

Thankfully that's not how SI operate, rather using good constructive bug reporting to accelerate their own designs. 

There's always a debate between different users or groups of users about the ME, and everyone has their opinions

What is constantly forgotten is that SI will have their views, and while they pay attention to various bits of feedback, they will ultimately have their own direction to take. Now people can agree or disagree on this but ultimately their views and decisions matter the most. Largely because they have pretty much all the relevant facts. 

Some positive feedback: I love the replay system. Keeper had a dreadful game in Europa knockouts, allowed an own goal off his back in the first half and thought he had done it again in the second:

92f4826e523efbba9d081c61e6591b39.gif

But using the replay I was able to see the ball just had wild spin off the bar and bounced in itself:

b7d36d539a3b6be45370b7d418d03a53.gif

While the ME definitely has major issues, I think that the main culprit behind all those boring and frustrating matches is AI. When you actually play a team that wants to play football, then matches can look decent. In real world, when a team parks the bus, you will rarely enjoy watching such a game. And since 90% of AI managers in FM19 play like Mourinho against Barca in 2010 UCL semifinals with Inter (regardless of context and even in games when they absolutely must win), no wonder it hurts your eyes.

Making ME changes must be extremely difficult to balance, I get it, but changing AI managers mentality to be more daring cannot be such an issue, come on! Right now, when you have at least a semi-decent team, you basically only think about how to break down the opposition, because you know well that unless they score from 40 yards or a corner, they are basically harmless.

After managing in England I went to Spain and expected to see more attacking and technical ability from AI teams but it does not matter.

I also disagree with Amarante that pressing is okay. I don´t think so. Even with the highest LOE and urgency, players still don´t press high and strong enough. Even in the first minutes of games at home I see players watching defenders exchange passes ad nauseam. Often I see my player step back, and then suddenly come forward again and press when it is no longer needed at that point.

Pressing in your own half also does not work as it should because players get too much time on the ball allowing them to score all those screamers.

One more thing: I´ve played FM games for more than a decade and never ever have been 1 on 1s overpowered. We´ve seen too many goals from corners, from long shots, from crosses, from headers, from free kicks, from everything BUT 1 on 1 situations have always been squandered way too often. I wonder why this is the case. I know that in the past it was too easy to get a 1 on 1 but now, with the lack of through balls it is actually pretty hard so there is no need for it to be nerfed.

Edited by Martin#

On the slippery slope to the sack. Again.

Won 4 of first 5 league games when I took over (Basingstoke in Van South) now have lost the last 6 only scoring one goal. Including one when they only had two shots, none on target!

Whatever I try tactics-wise or formation-wise it makes no difference. I'm already wondering where I might end up next....

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, Amarante said:

Most persons who play FM are ignorant of the lack of movement. Once you realize or have found that this is an issue, it will forever plague you. SI made great leaps with defending in this me and made great leaps backwards with attacking. BETA ME was the closest to one of the best ever, and only required a minor fix which was pressing was too great and too many crosses. We have yet to fix the latter and pressing is okay now. 

The core of the crossing issue comes from the lack of central movement and central through ball(no i don't mean  a player passing sideways to a next player) 

You need to bear in mind that our crossing statistics include set pieces. Statistically, when taking this in to account the current ME only has on average 2 more crosses per match than IRL, which is fairly close. If you have specific match examples where you feel there's too many crosses then do feel free to log them on the match forums, but do make sure you're taking this in to account. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

You need to bear in mind that our crossing statistics include set pieces. Statistically, when taking this in to account the current ME only has on average 2 more crosses per match than IRL, which is fairly close. If you have specific match examples where you feel there's too many crosses then do feel free to log them on the match forums, but do make sure you're taking this in to account. Thanks.

yes i do, i should be more specific and say that most goals are some variant of crosses. To put it this way, its that the goals are boring. There isn't that intricate play that pass and move and although it happens its all way too infrequent. Great leap and bounds were made with defending this year is just the attacking side of the game is just lacking. 

You instruct your wingers to stay wide when they don't have the ball yet they stay narrow, you instruct your team to make low crosses but yet your seeing high whipped in crosses. 

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, Amarante said:

yes i do, i should be more specific and say that most goals are some variant of crosses. To put it this way, its that the goals are boring. There isn't that intricate play that pass and move and although it happens its all way too infrequent. Great leap and bounds were made with defending this year is just the attacking side of the game is just lacking. 

You instruct your wingers to stay wide when they don't have the ball yet they stay narrow, you instruct your team to make low crosses but yet your seeing high whipped in crosses. 

Goal variety is certainly something we can always improve. We'd always welcome examples of these kind of issues, not only the issues you mentioned, but also types of movements/passes/finishing that you don't think we see enough of in the ME. For issues like that we'd need examples of situations where you think the player could do this certain action, but chooses not to.

The issue with that is the problem isn't individual moments, it's the same thing happening again and again. 

Looked at in isolation, a single instance can easily be argued away as a bad decision. We can hardly upload every single match to show the issue of wide players dallying to allow a defender to close him down. Or defenders playing find the scarecrow.