Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Fosse said:

Counterpressing is too effective in it’s current guise, even players with low concentration, teamwork and workrate attributes will regain the ball too often

7 hours ago, Fosse said:

Quite often despite how aggressively you instruct your team to press the opposition defenders can play out with relative ease.

:lol:

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth are PSG seen as the ultimate club for so many players on this game? I'm at Liverpool and the reasons players give make no sense.

Our star striker decides the only reason he'd stay is if he gets a Champions League medal with us... an odd request to make seeing as PSG haven't made it past the quarters for 6 years, have won it once in the entire save, and have watched Liverpool win it twice since. The player in question was even apart of one CL victory!  I've also won the CL here myself, so that's 3 CLs since PSG last won it.

Now this summer, post league and CL double, our goalkeeper (who is English) wants to leave to PSG because he thinks he would be a more important player for them than us. I'm not sure whether that relates to squad status or his position in the hierarchy, but he has key player squad status and is a highly influential player, and I highly doubt he'll become a team leader from moving to PSG. It's nonsense.

I can't wait to see what reasoning the next player uses to try and get a backwards move to Paris!

Edited by arwelt

I'm in 2026 and the World Cup is around the corner. I need a new CB as Maguire is now 33yo and too slow.

De Ligt is at PSG (along with a whole host of other great talent) and worth around £60m. I go for him and we agree a deal for £86m.
But when it comes to the contract, he says he wants to wait until after the World Cup before talking about a move.
It's not started just yet but the squads have been named and they have a friendly coming up in a few days first.

Fair enough, I thought, I'll go back in for him after the tournament ends. 10 days later, and just one day before the first WC group game, Chelsea have a £91m bid accepted.
Not wanting to miss out, I go back in for him and PSG want me to match Chelsea's bid so I do.

Again, De Ligt says the same thing, he wants to wait til after the WC. I'd only really bid again to make sure this was still the case so was relieved to hear him say that he won't enter negotiations until after.

But no, six days later and he signs for Chelsea.

Why would this happen? We won the league last year, Chelsea were 3rd, 13pts behind us. We are ranked the 3rd best club in the World, they are 15th.
They didn't win anything last season and were knocked out of the Europa League early; we did the domestic treble.

De Ligt does not have Chelsea or any of their players/staff as his favourite club/people so I don't get why he would sign for them and not even contemplate talking about a contract with us.

@Earnie is God! I had a similar situation when I first started. I agreed a fee and gave him a contract he liked. Chelsea swooped in with less money and MUCH less of a contract and he signed for them- to me it made no sense financially nor game wise but there we are- went to chelsea and played a few ish games, got him wanting to come for me as he gave in a request and he left for 35 mill. Had to do it the hardway as I couldn't be arsed with faffing around with other defenders. 

Getting tired of the one-season limit for tactics. Having to change tactic every season because the one from the year before doesn't work at all anymore makes no sense.

Edited by JeffDogg

2 hours ago, JeffDogg said:

Getting tired of the one-season limit for tactics. Having to change tactic every season because the one from the year before doesn't work at all anymore makes no sense.

I’ve been playing the same tactic for about 7 years in my existing quest to win the Premiership and Champions League with Kettering.

On 26/07/2019 at 07:12, Smurf said:

I haven't played FM19 at all - except a few days in the demo. So I can't really judge.

I was realiably informed that signing players using the paying over 48 months was harder to do. Yet I started a save as Liverpool and bought Dyballa, Mbappe, and a few others using this maneouvure, and all I had to do was sell a few fringe players. First transfer window, spent €350m - with Liverpool.

Anyway - I digress. 

Does this still happen: Coaches/Staff being poached and all you get is a news item. As it happens in FM12 (which I'm playing at the moment (vintage Messi) and it is irritating, if you get up for any reason to answer the door, go to the jax, or make a cuppa coffee, you come back to see a coach has been nicked by another team with no chance to intervene.

I had a war with Liverpool picking 2 of my scouts, and i took 2 of theirs. Just like that.

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, JeffDogg said:

There is no limit on how long a tactic "works" for.

5 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Determination has dipped but what if Professionalism and Ambition have risen?

Then I would still be a bit unhappy as Determination - for me - is a more important attribute than Prof or Amb.

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, herne79 said:

Then I would still be a bit unhappy as Determination - for me - is a more important attribute than Prof or Amb.

Providing objective data on something subjective could be the culprit here.

If it's not already in there, get it posted on the bugs/features side and we can investigate ways to improve it :thup:

1 minute ago, JeffDogg said:

So I guess 95% of people are just lying or wrong, then. Ah well, not expecting the truth from SI anyway.

There is no need at all to be rude and offensive.  Don't do it.

Tactics - well put together tactics - do not have to changed every year as you seem to believe.  Probably worth while you and "95%" of everyone else (quite the exaggeration there btw) visiting the tactics forum for some help.

15 minutes ago, JeffDogg said:

So I guess 95% of people are just lying or wrong, then. Ah well, not expecting the truth from SI anyway.

Literally watching a stream rn on fm scout with bolton. 442 system with same TI's and PI's from start to now and he's absolutely balling. 442 is a bit exploatary in certain ways but he's still making it WITH BOLTON of all teams. Currently winning championship and had to massively sell to get a decent/boderline budget. 

Huh.thumb.jpg.fc082a92fb0cb5494b5030a707e227f1.jpg

Can i explain the change of formation? Indeed i can, but i can't choose that as an option here. It certainly shouldn't warrant a question like that.
My formation is 4-4-2. I had to change to a 4-4-1 due to the fact that i had a player sent off.
Apparently Mr. Storm Heerings only "heerd" about the result, and me having only 1 up front instead of 2, and decided to barge into the press conference, just to ask me that question. He certainly couldn't have watched the match.
Must be really stormy inside those 2 hearing devices that are attached to the side of his head for him to miss that tiny little detail :D

Edited by roykela

I remember my club was weak in February-march in Fm16. It was every season in the same months.

In FM19 looks like my weak line in different months. Also if my club reputation increased a lot, but players not better, next season more difficult for me

I am not sure how much is FM19 and how much are general limitations of the engine but after my newfound love-post the other day, now some from the other side:

—It still bugs me how CCC are calculated, particularly that header essentially never count as one no matter how free and close to the goal. Experimenting with a more countering system, it is going okay but press and the analysis tab always tell me differently!

—Goalkeeper ratings. Just that. *Can* they even get above an eight? I think the pure data-driven approach severely under-rates hard saves or saved ccc. 

—On another goalkeeper topic: Either some animations are a bit weird or even elite keepers just can't handle harmless long shots?

—More animations: Tackles and fouls. Am I the only one constantly confused what is a perfect tackle, a foul, a reckless foul, or attempted murder?

Back to positives

—There are just so many roles that feel like they have a purpose and bring something new to the table. In previous versions (and to a lesser extent pre-update) I found it hard to get into some roles or found them overly similar. The last week I am in a frenzy to test everything! 

—Going on from that, how much attributes and PPM matter in making players individuals.

—Deep runs just look beautiful! Same for through-balls and in-swinging crosses

Woo Hoo ... for the very first time I’ve had a couple of my U18 team react positively when I’ve praised their training. Sometime in May I posted a feature request for improved interaction with youth players and this was included in my request. So, thank you SI.

On 05/08/2019 at 18:41, Earnie is God! said:

so I don't get why he would sign for them and not even contemplate talking about a contract with us.

He'd prefer to live in Cobham rather than Cardiff

Slight Rant but this years version has been the most disappointing in recent memory  reasons behind this

1. Injuries get at least 5 or 6 big ones a season despite having physios with 15- 20 rated
  2. Chances missed per game scandalous really I played one game and got 35 shots on goal and lost 1-0 the AI doesn't work you out any more it just ****s you over it happens all the time, ery frustrating
  3. VAR ridiculous VAR goes against me every other game sometimes twice a game
  4. Penalty misses happens all the time
  5. The worst part for me is your plan B never works you go behind in a game and try and play slightly more direct and nothing happens the AI seem to turn into John Terry and Rio Ferdinand combined and you suddenly create nothing.
  6. Tactics mean nothing in this years version you slightly tweak something to turn your form around and what happens you end up getting 3-0 hiding
  7. Watford are over powered in the game

On 06/08/2019 at 18:28, herne79 said:

There is no need at all to be rude and offensive.  Don't do it.

Tactics - well put together tactics - do not have to changed every year as you seem to believe.  Probably worth while you and "95%" of everyone else (quite the exaggeration there btw) visiting the tactics forum for some help.

You need 2 different tactics (plays)

• Possession-Play (4-3-3) against stronger or equal teams using Direct-Play  (4-4-2)

• Possession-Play (4-3-3) against Weaker Teams using Direct-Play  (4-4-2) or Possession-Play (4-3-3)

• Direct-Play (4-4-2) against stronger or equal Teams using Possession-Play (4-3-3)

Against stronger or equal teams using Direct-Play (4-4-2)

• Play a Possession-Play Tactic (4-3-3)
  • Shorter Passing
  • Counter Press & Holding Shape
  • High and Urgent Press 

Against stronger or equal Teams using Possession-Play (4-3-3)

• Play a Direct-Play tactic (4-4-2)
  • Normal Passing Directness
  • Counter Press & Counter
  • High and Urgent Press 

Edited by kingking

2 hours ago, The Gaffer101 said:
  • Injuries get at least 5 or 6 big ones a season despite having physios with 15- 20 rated

You're probably overworking your players, whether it's in terms or tactics or your training schedules. If you reduce the intensity of your tactics/training (and pay more attention to the medical centre), you might see fewer injuries.

2 hours ago, The Gaffer101 said:
  • Chances missed per game scandalous really I played one game and got 35 shots on goal and lost 1-0 the AI doesn't work you out any more it just ****s you over it happens all the time, ery frustrating
  • VAR ridiculous VAR goes against me every other game sometimes twice a game
  • The worst part for me is your plan B never works you go behind in a game and try and play slightly more direct and nothing happens the AI seem to turn into John Terry and Rio Ferdinand combined and you suddenly create nothing.
  • Tactics mean nothing in this years version you slightly tweak something to turn your form around and what happens you end up getting 3-0 hiding

We all lose matches from time to time that we feel like we should win. That's what football can be like. It happens.

The AI doesn't screw you over because it cheats or anything like that. If you're constantly losing matches where your team has many shots and the opposition have 1 or 2, then - and you probably won't like this - it might be your tactics. Perhaps you could post details of the tactical system(s) you're using in the tactics forum if you actually want advice.

Edited by CFuller
Can't spell.

I give up 

• Standard Passing Directness. will it be mixed during the game?
  • Standard tempo. will it be mixed during the game?

• Unticking both Re-Group and Counter-Press. will it be mixed during the game?
  • Unticking both Stay on feet and Get stuck in.  will it be mixed during the game?

Lots of people are frustrated at this game with lots of bad reviews in steam.. i understand why now

• When people don't understand something and don't get help.. They get frustrated 
Edited by kingking

39 minutes ago, kingking said:
  • Standard Passing Directness. will it be mixed during the game?
  • Standard tempo. will it be mixed during the game?

• Unticking both Re-Group and Counter-Press. will it be mixed during the game?
  • Unticking both Stay on feet and Get stuck in.  will it be mixed during the game?

Yes it will be mixed but both re grouping and counter press, one of them needs picking IMO. It's vital to wanting to pick one way to know what will happen and it to suit your system. Re grouping will be usually for defensive sides or against top opposition. Being mixed will be useful and useless against teams because it'll be exploitable from the AI. 

I agree that unless you're a veteran of nearly a decade already knowing most ins and outs, information is really not clear.

Had to watch Rashidi and others in 18 to actually discover Counter (changed in 19) mentality (and Attacking) didn't really mean what I thought it meant, for example. Some roles really could use more information and be more clear in their differences, like, Regista, Deep Lying Plamaker in DM position, Segundo Volante-AT, DM-Support... or Wing Back and Complete Wing Back, like I couldn't even get a clear difference even when watching Rashidi describing them.

Edited by Lanko

15 minutes ago, BigV said:

Yes it will be mixed but both re grouping and counter press, one of them needs picking IMO. It's vital to wanting to pick one way to know what will happen and it to suit your system. Re grouping will be usually for defensive sides or against top opposition. Being mixed will be useful and useless against teams because it'll be exploitable from the AI. 

Why can't this be described in the game?

For Standard Passing Directness

The game describes it as this "passing directness will be set accordingly to the team mentality"

I think to myself... what in the world are these developers on about...

An amazing quote that the FM 19 Developers should follow is

Richard Feynman - "If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you don't understand it."

Edited by kingking

2 hours ago, kingking said:

Why can't this be described in the game?

For Standard Passing Directness

The game describes it as this "passing directness will be set accordingly to the team mentality"

I think to myself... what in the world are these developers on about...

An amazing quote that the FM 19 Developers should follow is

Richard Feynman - "If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you don't understand it."

I did post something about a week or 2 ago about the downside of the explanations and to some extent the usefulness of tempo+passing length. 

I think it's fairly explainable tbh but can be explained better. Mentality is the "positive, attacking, cautious... etc. so the slider in itself tells you what the "middle" option is. For example Positive would be mixed with shorter passing and direct balls, slide it left or right and it'll give you slightly shorter passing/ slightly direct. 

I can't remember for certain the extent but the according to mentality is the "middle" option basically and it's between the left/right slide. Once I'll go on fm i'll explain it better. 

On 07/08/2019 at 01:11, Seb Wassell said:

There is no limit on how long a tactic "works" for.

Not trying to be rude here, but is that realistic?

I know from playing my own sports (different sport Australian Rules Football, but same idea) we have a basic game plan but we have to change it up against certain teams when they figure out how to stop us tactically, it also depends on weather as well. 7 years just seems a long time for a team to have one plan, and not the opposition figure out a way to break down that tactic.

4 hours ago, kingking said:

Richard Feynman"If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you don't understand it."

I understood that to be an Einstein quote.

Feynman actually stated something very different... "If I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize."
That's not exactly the opposite though I suppose.

5 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

I know from playing my own sports (different sport Australian Rules Football, but same idea) we have a basic game plan but we have to change it up against certain teams when they figure out how to stop us tactically, it also depends on weather as well. 7 years just seems a long time for a team to have one plan, and not the opposition figure out a way to break down that tactic.

He's not talking about the opposition though. He's just talking about your tactic. There's technically no limit. That doesn't mean it might not run into issues against various/changing opposition shapes and setups. 

13 hours ago, CFuller said:

The AI doesn't screw you over because it cheats or anything like that. 

It's a parking bus frustration bastard tho, with parking the busses possibly being a tad too "easy" to do in-game (e.g. unlike MOTD viewees and FM "pros" it knows that shots one upped on a spreadsheet mean nadazerozilch). Actually, it encourages opponents to have huge "shot"/"Chance" dominations every other week. In actual Football, Things tend to be a tad more "varied", as even Teams as Eibar would have a real go at Barca, Real et all. on the Occasion (and not only exclusively at home).

@Seb Wassell

Could you be a MythBuster again please?

If I buy reserve GK/CB which parametres affect his patience without game experience? PA or CA in compare of other team players and club reputation?

I want to buy reserve GK and 4th CB which be ready to play zero games in league by season. Should such a player be significantly weaker than his main competitors?

Many thanks in advance

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, Novem9 said:

@Seb Wassell

Could you be a MythBuster again please?

If I buy reserve GK/CB which parametres affect his patience without game experience? PA or CA in compare of other team players and club reputation?

I want to buy reserve GK and 4th CB which be ready to play zero games in league by season. Should such a player be significantly weaker than his main competitors?

Many thanks in advance

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to know what player would be happy to sit on your bench?

Like in reality, all players want to play. Better, more ambitious players are more likely to want to play more often.

If you're looking for a backup GK I'd say:

1. Decide if you want someone that is close to first team quality - if you do then expect them not to be happy at being on the bench for 50 games.
  2. Decide if you want someone happy to be on the bench for 50 games - if you do then don't expect them to be as good as your first choice.

Obviously agreeing a contract that gives them the "Backup" status is going to help here, but even with that status a player that believes he is good enough to play will start wanting game time.

My personal strategy is to fill the bench with young prospects that are both happy to be able backups in the league (for now) and good enough to get game time in the cups for their development. This does mean I need to buy, sell, loan and rotate players often, but that suits how I play.

• SI Staff
On 09/08/2019 at 18:58, The Gaffer101 said:

1. Injuries get at least 5 or 6 big ones a season despite having physios with 15- 20 rated

Just to pick out this part - if by "big" you mean Major, defined as 28+ days, that's about par for the course.

In the Premier Division we would expect roughly 60-70 injuries per season per club. Of course this varies, but anything 15% either side is normal. This is around 80% of real life numbers.

• SI Staff
23 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

Not rude at all.

I think you have misunderstood my saying that a tactic's usefulness does not "expire" with me saying a tactic cannot be countered.

In isolation, time used is not a factor in how successful a tactic is (ignoring tactical familiarity of course).

Just like reality, the better your team is and the better your team performs the more likely the opposition are to approach matches against you cautiously, focusing on countering your team rather than imposing their own style of football on the match. The poorer your team is and the worse your team performs the more likely the opposition are to approach matches with you adventurously, focusing on their own team, looking to control the match in their own way.
Over time, if you are successful, you can imagine how this will shift and that a tactic that may previously have "worked" will become less useful. And, again just like in reality, sometimes a 352 that has worked almost all season just doesn't work against that one particular 451.

Of course, some tactics (and teams) seem to pretty much keep working no matter what the opposition do - You could argue that, in the simplest terms, Pep has been successful with the same tactics for anywhere from 3 to 10 years now. Even considering the tweaks he has made, the principles remain. He also has very, very good players at his disposal.

7 часов назад, Seb Wassell сказал:

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to know what player would be happy to sit on your bench?

Yes, this is exactly what I mean :)

7 часов назад, Seb Wassell сказал:
  1. Decide if you want someone happy to be on the bench for 50 games - if you do then don't expect them to be as good as your first choice.

Well in general its clear.

One more question please. We can give a promise for player to more game practice in next few months. Is there link between his status (key player, rotation, etc), hierarchy status, skills and required playing time?

I mean if rotation player want to play more and key player want to play more - they asking to the same or in relation to status and other factors?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Novem9

Having loaned Lo Celso in January to cover injuries in central midfield, the media are 'shocked' that I've left him out of my Champions League squad despite the fact that I am unable to pick him. He is of course cup-tied having played for PSG 3 times in the group stage. I really hope unpolished aspects of the game like this are eradicated in FM20.

image.thumb.png.6cbbdf04996b54ad6c2dde2f4c448b03.png

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

Having loaned Lo Celso in January to cover injuries in central midfield, the media are 'shocked' that I've left him out of my Champions League squad despite the fact that I am unable to pick him. He is of course cup-tied having played for PSG 3 times in the group stage. I really hope unpolished aspects of the game like this are eradicated in FM20.

image.thumb.png.6cbbdf04996b54ad6c2dde2f4c448b03.png

Sounds like a bug. Could you post it in our bugs forum please so that we can investigate?

5 hours ago, Novem9 said:

I mean if rotation player want to play more and key player want to play more - they asking to the same or in relation to status and other factors?

Broadly, how much they expect to play is directly related to their status in the squad. So a key player is expecting to play more games than a rotational player.

Some player complaints just make zero sense whatsoever.

Player never complained at all but then has just played the past two games in a row, starts complaining about lack of game time. Come on ffs, I am literally playing you right now!

12 minutes ago, Earnie is God! said:

Can we please get rid of these pointless inbox items?

20190811185145_1_cr.thumb.jpg.7b3e04b7c35d4613abaf6b035c3fd55d.jpg

Do we really celebrate a player's 125th appearance in real life? 100, 200, 300 yes. 150? Maybe but probably not. 125? Don't think I've ever seen it apart from in FM.

I've seen both x50 and x25/75 used in real life, both on club twitters and in live match. It's so situational it depends really 

1 hour ago, aiston said:

Some player complaints just make zero sense whatsoever.

Player never complained at all but then has just played the past two games in a row, starts complaining about lack of game time. Come on ffs, I am literally playing you right now!

I’ve seen that a few times. I think it must be that giving the player game time prompts him to realise that he hasn’t been playing previously. :idiot:

So if we list some little gameplay things, I little tired about questions like 'why did you change player with 2 goals, he could score 3'. Its funny sometimes, but everytime its too much.
I can say this for all press-confs in general. After hours in game just learned first few words in questions and location of answers, so even no need to read fully.

I like new features in press confs like instant display of reactions and what SI worked to fix some issues we posted before, but FM is a big game, so I want some more changes and variety in press confs as it possible.