Miles Jacobson announces new feature for FM19 to become active on Friday

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If you enjoy the game to the extent where you buy it every year anyway, does the new features matter so much? Not quite clear what it is you are expecting for new features.

I buy it to support the cause. With FM sales falling year on year since 2012, I don’t want there to come a time where it is no longer financially viable for them to make a game. I’m sure other people buy the game solely for that reason too. But damn, these features are scrapping the bucket. FM are not exempt to criticsm. 

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Amarante said:

So lets look into it, Bundesliga 1 and 2 were announced, why be so all secretive about the third division. Granted the community asked for it and they got it but don\t you think they would have done so from along time ago. 

Chances are the new feature might be in game but not active till tomorrow. 

Im sorry but... I fail to see how that is ''It was already confirm that the feature isn't the league and that it will be announced tomorrow. ''...

• Administrators
Just now, akm.91 said:

But damn, these features are scrapping the bucket.

Right. So what would you add as a feature?

Just now, DazRTaylor said:

I may be wrong, but I don’t think the third division is licenced.  The first two tiers have their correct names, but the third tier is simply called the German Third Division.

Nope, it's not

Just now, Amarante said:

@Martin93  

Yes, that was said re. the German Third Division.  Then it was identified that the German National Team was playable, which is clearly the new feature.  Or "Feature", if you're that way inclined.

Just now, Junkhead said:

Yes, that was said re. the German Third Division.  Then it was identified that the German National Team was playable, which is clearly the new feature.  Or "Feature", if you're that way inclined.

Which in all essence is a new feature, its only us on here speculating that this feature is a massive one. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Things that add to immersion. Mainly a stadium editor so we can create realism. Every match feels the same, home or away.

I'm not sure that is possible unless some legal magic have worked. There's no way to set stand data in the editor for example. Things like how the design of stadiums look etc are trademarked and would need licensing. Just look at FIFA for example. 

Providing an editor just wouldn't pass legal requirements. 

Just now, Amarante said:

Which in all essence is a new feature, its only us on here speculating that this feature is a massive one. 

But you're still talking as if there is a further feature, and I don't think there is.  The German National Team is it.

Just now, Lucas said:

I'm not sure that is possible unless some legal magic have worked. There's no way to set stand data in the editor for example. Things like how the design of stadiums look etc are trademarked and would need licensing. Just look at FIFA for example. 

Mate, they allow people to use community made life like kits, logos, face packs that infringe on all these so called “legal requirements”.

A stadium editor would be also community driven so there would be 0 difference. FM has to start to evolve. 

1 minute ago, Junkhead said:

But you're still talking as if there is a further feature, and I don't think there is.  The German National Team is it.

My point was German Third Divison wasn't the new feature. If the new feature is German National team then so be it if not then that works out too. We\re just speculating

Just now, Lucas said:

Are you sure? Honest question. I cannot tell if you are educated guessing or speaking with rock solid knowledge. I personally wonder where the line is.

I have played several baseball games over the years. Some made their own 'field' images, which is great for baseball since the outfields look different, not a thing for soccer. Imagine your 2D view ... for soccer it's just a rectangle.

But another game has all MLB stadiums in it. It's a stationary image for the most part, there isn't 3D movement in terms of players, but the ball is 3D and stadium view is like you are sitting behind home plate. Now it's only 30 stadiums so maybe that's not too much. But I don't remember them talking about having to pay for licensing when they put it in.

I mean sure you probably can't name the stands without something being licensed. But is the image of the inside of a stadium that is open to the public no fair use? I imagine it might vary from nation to nation too.

I always thought it was more of a coding thing than a licensing thing. That's a lot of imagery to put together for the world.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, akm.91 said:

Mate, they allow people to use community made life like kits, logos, face packs that infringe on all these so called “legal requirements”.

A stadium editor would be also community driven so there would be 0 difference. FM has to start to evolve. 

People can, but they are responsible for the content not SI. And it doesn't take an editor to make that content.

A stadium editor is a whole different kettle of fish.

You can do some very basic things with stadiums already anyway, as already pointed out.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Are you sure? Honest question. I cannot tell if you are educated guessing or speaking with rock solid knowledge. I personally wonder where the line is.

I have played several baseball games over the years. Some made their own 'field' images, which is great for baseball since the outfields look different, not a thing for soccer. Imagine your 2D view ... for soccer it's just a rectangle.

But another game has all MLB stadiums in it. It's a stationary image for the most part, there isn't 3D movement in terms of players, but the ball is 3D and stadium view is like you are sitting behind home plate. Now it's only 30 stadiums so maybe that's not too much. But I don't remember them talking about having to pay for licensing when they put it in.

I mean sure you probably can't name the stands without something being licensed. But is the image of the inside of a stadium that is open to the public no fair use? I imagine it might vary from nation to nation too.

I always thought it was more of a coding thing than a licensing thing. That's a lot of imagery to put together for the world.

If you've ever tried to get permission to take photographs and use them for commercial purposes then its quite obvious, really. 

Stuff like stadiums are designed by professionals so it will be trademarked. You can't just reproduce imagery like that and pass it off as your own work.

I'd also add, what one small dev does compares to something like a major studio is completely different too. 

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If you've ever tried to get permission to take photographs and use them for commercial purposes then its quite obvious, really. 

Stuff like stadiums are designed by professionals so it will be trademarked. You can't just reproduce imagery like that and pass it off as your own work.

I'd also add, what one small dev does compares to something like a major studio is completely different too. 

OOTP Developments is a pretty big studio though.

Even so, I can't imagine the licensing for that would be a ton. I mean it's found money whatever is given to them. And it's pretty obvious how big the SI pie is and they shouldn't expect much for adding images of their stadiums, which also *promotes their product*. I would never have gotten as into soccer in the first place if Football Manager wasn't there when I first got started. I pay for NBC Sports Gold and Bleacher Report Live for the Champions League. All because of Football Manager.

3 minuti fa, Lucas ha scritto:

People can, but they are responsible for the content not SI. And it doesn't take an editor to make that content.

A stadium editor is a whole different kettle of fish.

You can do some very basic things with stadiums already anyway, as already pointed out.

The stadium situation is interesting: for example, in 2001 Geoff Crammond developed the fourth game of his famous "Grand Prix" series (F1 racing). It still has a huge following nowadays, with people creating updated car models reflecting the latest ones (along with real life sponsors on it), as well as entire tracks, using external editors they created themselves. As far as I know, FIA (F1 Association) never issued a C&D paper. Of course football is a different sport, rules and everything might be totally different.

What I'm trying to say is: c'mon fanbase with some degree on programming knowledge, create a 3D stadium editor already so that we can modify stadiums ourselves, creating replicas of the real ones  :D :brock:

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Even so, I can't imagine the licensing for that would be a ton. I mean it's found money whatever is given to them. And it's pretty obvious how big the SI pie is and they shouldn't expect much for adding images of their stadiums, which also *promotes their product*. I would never have gotten as into soccer in the first place if Football Manager wasn't there when I first got started.

You would be surprised the rates some places give just to take photos of their venue for you to release on your channels for commercial purposes. I dread to think of the rates for stuff like league names and stadiums.

It's by no means a small fee, and you have to remember any studio will have to budget licensing along with everything else. The licenses are only for a fixed period and often have to be renewed, so cost more money in the long run.

• Administrators
Just now, Lucas78 said:

The stadium situation is interesting: for example, in 2001 Geoff Crammond developed the fourth game of his famous "Grand Prix" series (F1 racing). It still has a huge following nowadays, with people creating updated car models reflecting the latest ones (along with real life sponsors on it), as well as entire tracks, using external editors they created themselves. As far as I know, FIA (F1 Association) never issued a C&D paper. Of course football is a different sport, rules and everything might be totally different.

Crammond sounds familiar ;) 

Again, the whole thing with legal stuff - if the ones you are going over have got money then that makes it worthwhile. 

I'm not sure small developers always fit that bracket. Or even whether something like that had any visibility to FIA back in 2001. 

I am aware though, of a developer who made a pro wrestling simulator back in the early 2000s had a C&D on his website for distributing a free game with logos and facepacks, so it does happen. 

Lol come on. They could release a standard stadium editor with generic stand and pitch templates that people could piece together to create stadiums. Nothing even has to resemble an actual licensed real stadium. Just give us the pieces that we can mess about with to create something acceptable to each individual team. The community would do ALL the work! 

3 минуты назад, akm.91 сказал:

Lol come on. They could release a standard stadium editor with generic stand and pitch templates that people could piece together to create stadiums. Nothing even has to resemble an actual licensed real stadium. Just give us the pieces that we can mess about with to create something acceptable to each individual team. The community would do ALL the work! 

Totally agree. We don't actually need 'real' Old Trafford or San Siro in game, just some basic things that can be set and modified in database. Like stadium shape, stands proportion and colours, roofs, running tracks etc. That won't make an in-game stadium too close to original look but the game will be a bit more immersive. Now some modern stadiums (like St.Petersburg arena) are represented in game as four extremely high separate stands with diners near corner flags and there's no way to change it.

4 minutes ago, Koetzer said:

Totally agree. We don't actually need 'real' Old Trafford or San Siro in game, just some basic things that can be set and modified in database. Like stadium shape, stands proportion and colours, roofs, running tracks etc. That won't make an in-game stadium too close to original look but the game will be a bit more immersive. Now some modern stadiums (like St.Petersburg arena) are represented in game as four extremely high separate stands with diners near corner flags and there's no way to change it.

Yeah, a lot of Russian stadiums have that problem. So does the beautiful Estadio Da Luz when managing Benfica. It genuinely puts me off managing those teams unless I just decide to settle for 2D mode. 

28 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

As much as I'd love there to be a stadium editor do you not think if it was that easy, it would be there already? 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

As much as I'd love there to be a stadium editor do you not think if it was that easy, it would be there already? 

No idea. People have been asking for it for years now and FM refuse to address the issue or tell us what is or isn’t possible. But considering there are stadiums in the game already, I can’t see it being too difficult for them to produce. 

Given the headline "features" were terribly underwhelming, is it even worth getting excited about this extra one?

Agree with pretty much everything @akm.91 has said. Just keep releasing tweaked versions of the previous year's iteration with upgrades to the ME. Can only reinvent the wheel for so long before something actually new is brought in.

1 hour ago, akm.91 said:

Yeah, a lot of Russian stadiums have that problem. So does the beautiful Estadio Da Luz when managing Benfica. It genuinely puts me off managing those teams unless I just decide to settle for 2D mode. 

Yeah I'm lucky that the stadium used for Goodison kind of looks like Goodison.

For those arguing with Lucas, should point out, if it's not obvious already, he's been on the other side, he very much knows what he's talking about when in comes to licensing. 

And it's monstrously expensive, so anything that can allow you to get remotely close, like a stadium editor, forces all sorts of legal hoops. Not to mention it ass something that miles hasn't had an interest in making. So it would be one massive u turn and a lot of work for something like that to happen 

13 horas atrás, Robbie.Knox disse:

It's not going to be a stadium editor. People get lambasted time after time by Miles on Twitter for suggesting features which a football 'manager' would never do (despite him contradicting himself plenty of times on that but never mind...). A stadium editor isn't going to be one of those features :D

I would love it <3

11 horas atrás, bangkonggedek disse:

If it's something involving lawyers then no doubt it's having something to do with this, most definitely:

...Of course I was being facetious :D

The funny is use the same surname like for Jens lol

10 horas atrás, kensteidel disse:

Could the fact that lawyers were involved imply that it has something to do with doping or random financial illegalities some time in the future (Involving only regens and fictional, new boardmembers, of course :D)? There are plenty of big clubs that have been relegated several divisions, and it would be interesting to see those kind of events on rare occasions. 

Fluminense, is that you?

3 horas atrás, XaW disse:

0rFZCow.png

It is there.

Would I need start a new game?

3 horas atrás, bigmattb28 disse:

It's almost like we need them to sort it out SI .....

A Captain American moment here. 

3 horas atrás, PMLF disse:

I don't know how it works in Germany but in some countries the licenses for players and for clubs are separate.

Not mentioning a CERTAIN country, I clap for Konami effort. Herculean effort. 

1 hora atrás, Lucas78 disse:

What I'm trying to say is: c'mon fanbase with some degree on programming knowledge, create a 3D stadium editor already so that we can modify stadiums ourselves, creating replicas of the real ones  :D :brock:

GP4 is the best racing games EVER

And I have the same opinion. Even today there are famous groups making mods, including stadiums for FIFA/PES and nothing notification. SI don't need get close the reality of the stadiums by default. With the editor, the community would do that, in the same way for kits, DBs, Logos, name fixing and so on.

Well, I'm assuming it isn't Emma Hayes being in the game, or the German Third tier. Will be interesting to find it. 

It must be something that requires longevity at a club or something like that. We've got named stadiums, statues etc.

1 hour ago, Amarante said:

German National Team then. 

In combination with 3 liga. They phrased it as a multiple thing. Haven't played the game yet, this is just based off what others are saying.

Not sure why people are so disappointed? Managing to put the league back in and fix the national team are massive things to do just before release. It was never going to be a game changing feature at this stage and a stadium editor would be a headline feature. Sure you could already fix it yourself but that doesn't mean they shouldn't improve the base game. And for those of us who can't use an editor (FMT) it's brilliant. For something added just prior to release and without fanfare this is more than I had hoped for.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Dave said:

Fuss over nothing then. Hadn't even noticed because I'd already been on my annual pilgrimage to sortitoutsi.

I also didn't notice as well, i already have the name fix and stuff in. But this a good thing

2 hours ago, Cal585 said:

In combination with 3 liga. They phrased it as a multiple thing. Haven't played the game yet, this is just based off what others are saying.

Not sure why people are so disappointed? Managing to put the league back in and fix the national team are massive things to do just before release. It was never going to be a game changing feature at this stage and a stadium editor would be a headline feature. Sure you could already fix it yourself but that doesn't mean they shouldn't improve the base game. And for those of us who can't use an editor (FMT) it's brilliant. For something added just prior to release and without fanfare this is more than I had hoped for.

Disappointed because a league licence isnt a feature .

48 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Disappointed because a league licence isnt a feature .

Not a major feature, no. But adding a league and national team counts as a minor feature or improvement. It sounds like you are just caught up with what the word feature entails.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 07:11, 2feet said:

New feature: Moves into nightclubs.

Cannot be de-selected. Your player will randomly stay out late, go missing for days at a time, announce he is taking up rapping, etc.

You have to use player interaction to persuade him to sort his life out.

That will be hard as it seems nigh on impossible to start a conversation with a player! (Or have I missed something?)

Archived