Buxton FC 2021-22
Transfers IN | Transfers OUT | Finances | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 | Cups | Table | Playoffs
If I was happy with my first season, I'm absolutely delighted with my second!
- My second summer transfer window began with the first monetary offer for one of my players, young talented LB Alex Brown. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to sell but we needed money anyway and I knew I could re-invest it into the squad. Many transfers later, our season finally got underway with a shaky, on-and-off start stretching to the end of September. We then played very well throughout the rest of 2021, with the exception of a disappointing December. Our best result during that period was undoubtedly the 6-1 destruction of a Curzon Ashton side eventually relegated to the BetVictor Northern Premier League after an extremely disappointing season. A New Year's Day loss appeared to continue the Auld Lang Syne curse that we fell under in season 1 but we then went unbeaten right until the end of the season with 2 defeats in our final 3 games. This was enough to secure 6th place in the league, giving us a shot at the playoffs.
- The playoffs were always going to be extremely difficult. At least 2 of the maximum 3 games that we could play would be away from home - the only exception being a potential home match vs 7th placed Alfreton if they too reached the final. However, we had to get there first; our first matchup was a trip to Aggborough to face Kidderminster. Both our league games there so far have had to be postponed due to a waterlogged pitch but this one very much went ahead as we edged a very tight contest to come out 1-2 winners. Our semi-final opponents were Boreham Wood, another tricky side that we would play away from home. This one was much closer as we played the full 120 minutes before we triumphed after a dreaded shootout.
The final saw us come up against South Shields, a side that we were yet to beat in 4 attempts. I didn't give us any chance at all at Mariners Park against a side that had accumulated 97 points during the regular season and only missed out on the title by 3 points to Boston United. As I expected, they came out and dominated from the offset and should've taken the lead a couple of times in the early moments of the game. However, we went into the break with a 0-1 lead and two late goals from Chippendale and De Girolamo sealed an unbelievable promotion winning victory for my side.
- Once again, we reached the FA Cup 4QR before a difficult tie - this time at home against AFC Fylde - saw us come unstuck. We did in fact take them to a replay but they stormed to victory 4-1 in that game. The FA Trophy was much more promising, however. My first game against bitter rivals Matlock was a 2-4 success and then we stunned everyone to defeat Macclesfield 0-2 away from home and put three past Boreham Wood at the Silverlands to set up a home tie with Vanarama South side Dartford. We played very well but they were simply more potent than us and took a 0-2 win to progress to the next round. Overall not bad in the cups given our opponents; hoping our automatic bye to the 4QR next season will give us a boost to reach the FA Cup Proper.
- Finances are even more of a mess now as we sit £600,000 in the red. This time I'm hoping we can get more money from the Vanarama National and perhaps get a money-spinning tie in the FA Cup if we can finally avoid the difficult draws and get a bit further. Good news is the board have increased our wage budget so we do sit below it for now, giving us some room for movement and indeed transfers/loans.
- Youth intake was dreadful, only found 3 players worth signing. The best of these is probably Mitchell Ashton 22A, but I don't see a future for any of them unless I can be pleasantly surprised. I still have high hopes for my best player from 2021's intake but we will just have to wait and see with that one.
Don't really know what to expect from my first season in the Vanarama National. Going to aim low and simply try to survive while gaining some much needed prize money through cups. Hopefully we'll do a bit better than that but it could really go either way!
Season League Position FA Cup FA Trophy Europe Notes
2020-21 National League North 10th 4QR Round 2 N/A None
2021-22 National League North 6th 4QR Round 3 N/A Promoted to Vanarama National