FM 18 - Worth it?

I've been a big follower of the series for years now, and so far haven't purchased FM18 and thought with the 18.3 winter update now out i may get it. However i wanted to gauge people opinions on here first, having seen the mixed reviews on steam (i know not the best to go off) i am a bit unsure if its worth it this year. Is there any big glaring bugs in this version that still haven't been fixed after all the updates?

Personally no it isn't.  I'm very disappointed with the direction this game is taking . For me it's just got to messy and it's lost its simplicity for having fun . It's really like having another job rather than chilling out and having fun . Even the 3D has got worse . They seem more intent of making new ideas for the game ,which then adds more time , rather than fixing whats broke . So much to do now days in FM18 that the game processing runs slow too even on a high spec machine . Went back to FM15 . Just a cleaner fun game . This is only my opinion of course

If you have FM17 just forget about FM18. Terrible UI and everything else is inferior than FM17. The match engine was actually a little better than FM17 in 18.1 but somehow they managed to made it worse since 18.2+ patch.

FM17 is pretty good they should have improve an already good version but instead of focusing on fixing what's not right in FM17 they decided to mess with the UI and keep adding more useless features while introducing more bugs and quirks.

Agreed with the above posts

The game has regressed badly and the match engine has no resemblence to real football with the same highlights over and over again, AI is dumb and repetitive, UI is unnecessarily clunky and ugly.

Very difficult to follow the in game news and subscribe through mailbox. The team talk,press and twitter features are the same for years now.

And here's why you should try the demo and have a feel for yourself.

UI has taken a step back, imo, but depending on how you play the game you'll get used to it.
Simplicty is pretty much the same. Nothing worse nor better.
Glaring bugs? Nah, not really. Are there bugs? Absolutely.
Some might be surprised that you last 6 months. I'm in 2029 and haven't been this successful, as i'm now, in a very long time (we're talking FM10 or so here.).

There are cases where there are issues with the 3D graphics engine for those with a high-end graphics card.
I've had mine but they seem to have disappeared.

Although it's not my favourite iteration it is the most fun i've had in a very long time.

Try the demo and check for yourself. You'll either like it or not.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Slates84 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like i'll give this one a miss then

Genuinely don't know why you wouldn't try the demo and would prefer to take the opinions here of a handful of people. Your choice of course, but the demo is free, quick to download and contains almost everything you'd get the the full game. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Genuinely don't know why you wouldn't try the demo and would prefer to take the opinions here of a handful of people. Your choice of course, but the demo is free, quick to download and contains almost everything you'd get the the full game. 

i understand what you are saying neil, and the demo is free. but i wouldnt say it was a 'handful' of people, assuming he has had a quick look through the forums here and steam reviews. this is probably the most split i have seen people over fm since the arrows were taken away from the tactics

For me no, and it'll be the last one I buy. Totally unmotivated to play when the match engine:

1. Allows tactics like this: https://www.fmscout.com/a-unstoppable-attacking-fm18-tactic.html or this https://www.fmscout.com/a-mayets-ultimate-unorthodox-fm18-tactic.html - if the engine claims to represent football, these should lose consistently. The problem is that they've been so scared to significantly change the engine since WWfan gave them a way out of all the bugs by streamlining the user's possible choices/experience, that the engine hasn't progressed and garbage like the above still exploits it. 

2. Locks you in to other's interpretations of positions, and prevents you from adjusting player instructions if they go against these interpretations. Totally goes against what made this game great from the early editions. 

and 3. the other main reason is single player lag. I have a super-computer and playing single player reminds me of playing network now. You can't have delay on clicks in a game like FM.

They've gone in the wrong direction, adding things that don't touch the match engine (dynamics for example). It's the first time I've been left totally cold by it.

As some other users have said, I'd suggest that you play the demo, rather than simply take a few negative opinions and say, "I guess it's not for me, then." The only person who can decide whether you'll like a game is you.

I wasn't sure about whether I wanted to buy FM18, so I played the demo. Only once the six-month 'trial' save was up did I decide, "No, not this year."

Of course, you might have a different experience.

I wouldn't buy this game if I were you. SI ignored all issues raised by users and decided not to make ANY improvements of ME in 18.3 update. That's why FM18 is unfinished product, with ME which could be acceptable maybe in beta version but definitely not after last patch. Stay away and wait for FM 19 (however i'm not very optimistic about next version)...

Get the demo, get a feel for yourself.

All the new analysis stuff is great if you are REALLY into creating your own tactic and get immersed in your team. I also complained about the UI and scouting once the game was released, half a year later I like it and I dont think I want to play FM17 again.

The game did not get harder or easier and every year had an exploit going on. Thats the nature of a sim-based computer game. 

Also dont take the opinion of this forum too serious. We are only a minority, FM18 is with around 60k players in the top 10 most played Steam games currently. 

2 hours ago, pablito15 said:

The problem is that they've been so scared to significantly change the engine since WWfan gave them a way out of all the bugs by streamlining the user's possible choices/experience, that the engine hasn't progressed and garbage like the above still exploits it. 

2. Locks you in to other's interpretations of positions, and prevents you from adjusting player instructions if they go against these interpretations. Totally goes against what made this game great from the early editions.

This I find rather curious. :D The positioning tools you had weren't "realistic", basically players could inhibit two set positions on the pitch at once the moment the ball was dropped / won back, which isn't positioning at all -- it's a non-dynamic process that is/was carried out the second the ball changed hands. And, consequently, it allowed for some of the biggest exploits the series has ever had. Draw a couple arrows so that the players couldn't be possible picked up and marked, nothing at all else would matter -- and the remaining losses appear colossaly unfair, including some of the most warped match statistics in the histiory of FM.

Drawing arrows had replaced sound tactical base structures for a good deal of players to the point that the only way they didn't concede was by keeping the opposition shot counts to zero (every time they went forward, they could have a decent chance). I think guys such as wwfan understood that a little better than you. He was still just a player voice, btw. Perhaps one of several more valued ones by SI, probably due to his understanding of game, football and player frustration expressed (as a former tactical mod he faced loads). But still just a player. He hasn't been around the game for three years running at least anyway, so by that logics the game should have recovered to "old greatness" by now. :)

To be honest I am disappointed by FM 2018. I expect it to be a better game than FM 2017 but it is not, far from it.
After FM 2017 I was excited about 2018 but now I felt like I have lost my interest in FM and I'm no longer looking forward to FM 2019.

I bought this game a couple a week or so ago - and was almost immediately reminded why I stopped playing after fm15...

Nothing changes, and what does, usually doesn't add anything overly significant and is often to a detriment.

But here I am, obsessing over stuff as I was then, it's annoyingly addictive - it's just terrible, too bad no competition, the game might resemble something that was made in 2018 if there was

Definitely try the demo.

That said, I've played FM religiously for the last 8 years and for the first time, I've stopped playing it because the match engine is so poor. It's extremely frustrating and sad because as I said, I've played it for many years, and this is the first time I've had serious problems. The game just isn't fun because the match engine has so many consistent issues, such as unrealistic amounts of goals from low crosses and (most frustratingly) constant poor shooting decisions from players in attacking positions.

I agree with all of the above especially the very poor decision making when in shooting positions its looks so bad and unrealistic a lot of the time.

That said I am enjoying the game just not as much as I did 4 or 5 years ago.

I wouldn't recommend this years game to anybody. The match engine is beyond atrocious, and player roles are just stupid these days to the point that scouring the transfer market or making a tactic is more of a chore than anything else. 

If only SI would give us FMLive back :(

10 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This thread proves exactly why you should just play the demo. 

Personally I'm always at a loss to why people don't use a free demo to purchase or not purchase. 

Because people would like opinions about products . Try before you buy of course but peoples opinions also count . People do complain more than praise though as that is human nature but ive taken an oath not to buy this game for at least another 3 - 4 years unless there is a marked improvements not added features . Consumers want bugs fixed and good gameplay before any new features . My opinion of course

15 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Hey Neil . A while back in this Forum I posted a vote to what were consumers favourite FM Series . FM 12 and FM 13 were very high in votes while FM 18 and FM 17 polled ok it was significant that the earlier games were more enjoyable . Yes people are more likely to complain than praise but its more than a handful I would think . Listen to your consumers as they buy and try your products whether they are praising or complaining they post for a reason . :)   

14 hours ago, pablito15 said:

WWfan gave them a way out of all the bugs by streamlining the user's possible choices/experience,

is this refering to losing the arrows? if so, i kind of agree they needed changing, but not removing. ideally, they could of been used to have the elusive defense - attack formations, but as previously stated were far too easy to exploit. what would of been better in my opinion would of been a length limit of say 1 position, then some kind of a stamina or decision penalty for additional length, illustrated by a simple change to the colours line. but too late now i guess lol

14 hours ago, pablito15 said:

and 3. the other main reason is single player lag. I have a super-computer and playing single player reminds me of playing network now. You can't have delay on clicks in a game like FM.

this a hundred times over! not only is my 2 grand pc only '3 stars' for graphics, but lags. i very much doubt many people are playing FM on a significantly better machine, so i dont understand how anyone puts up with it! this coupled with the problems of different screen resolutions etc and i genuinely stop understanding how this was considered suitable for a 2018 game. there is no reason what basically amounts to stick men running up and down a pitch can be considered 'testing' for any PC made this decade lol

3 hours ago, FrazT said:

The OP posted that he had made up his mind after 5 replies- hence Neil's comment.

But the trend in this thread has continued throughout, i havent stopped reading them after 5 replies. I like people's opinions, especially here as most are avid players of the game and will give me a true response. I have played this game since Champ Man 95/96, and over the last few years/versions bugs have always stopped me from getting into a serious save. So this is why i waited till the final patch and then i wanted to gauge opinions here before i bought it.

13 minutes ago, Slates84 said:

But the trend in this thread has continued throughout, i havent stopped reading them after 5 replies. I like people's opinions, especially here as most are avid players of the game and will give me a true response. I have played this game since Champ Man 95/96, and over the last few years/versions bugs have always stopped me from getting into a serious save. So this is why i waited till the final patch and then i wanted to gauge opinions here before i bought it.

Well, if you are simply looking for opinions then I would say I really enjoy the game. For me there are a few niggles here and there, but nothing big. I still would advise everyone who are wondering if they should buy it or not to play the demo and get a feel for themselves. Things that bother one person might not have anything to do for another person. There are people in here who would love to see the game head into a more "the Sims" type of game where you work the personal life of a manager and manually build stadiums and such, but if the game did that then I would most likely stop buying it. So each to their own, but the only way to know if you like it is to try it and that's what the demo is for.

I've also played this game for a long while, I started playing CM back in '93, but I don't quite see how this affects anything or give any statement more validity? If you have had bugs that stopped you from enjoying the game, have you reported them so SI have a chance to investigate and maybe fix for the next version? Looking at your profile does not indicate it, so I would advise you to do so in the future.

23 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, if you are simply looking for opinions then I would say I really enjoy the game. For me there are a few niggles here and there, but nothing big. I still would advise everyone who are wondering if they should buy it or not to play the demo and get a feel for themselves. Things that bother one person might not have anything to do for another person. There are people in here who would love to see the game head into a more "the Sims" type of game where you work the personal life of a manager and manually build stadiums and such, but if the game did that then I would most likely stop buying it. So each to their own, but the only way to know if you like it is to try it and that's what the demo is for.

I've also played this game for a long while, I started playing CM back in '93, but I don't quite see how this affects anything or give any statement more validity? If you have had bugs that stopped you from enjoying the game, have you reported them so SI have a chance to investigate and maybe fix for the next version? Looking at your profile does not indicate it, so I would advise you to do so in the future.

yeah i did report the bugs i encountered and still some of them remained and some carried over to the next version. Personally playing a Demo wont make me decide whether to buy the game or not as having played FM for so long the concept of it isn't unfamiliar to me. I wanted to see from people if this version has any really bad bugs that remain, and how the ME is, as that can be a weak spot in the series. 

1 minute ago, Slates84 said:

yeah i did report the bugs i encountered and still some of them remained and some carried over to the next version. Personally playing a Demo wont make me decide whether to buy the game or not as having played FM for so long the concept of it isn't unfamiliar to me. I wanted to see from people if this version has any really bad bugs that remain, and how the ME is, as that can be a weak spot in the series. 

What bugs, if you don't mind me asking? I can't remember that many big bugs that have carried on throughout the series.

Of course, there are things I would like see improved that have stayed the same for a long while (like press conferences and media in general), but not many big bugs. That said, I might not remember it if it were many years ago.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

What bugs, if you don't mind me asking? I can't remember that many big bugs that have carried on throughout the series.

Of course, there are things I would like see improved that have stayed the same for a long while (like press conferences and media in general), but not many big bugs. That said, I might not remember it if it were many years ago.

League specific bugs have always been a problem, especially in the south american leagues which i play in and load. Qual spots for Copa America, in Brazilain leagues have not been formatted right for the last couple of versions.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Slates84 said:

League specific bugs have always been a problem, especially in the south american leagues which i play in and load. Qual spots for Copa America, in Brazilain leagues have not been formatted right for the last couple of versions.

I'm fairly confident there's no league specific bug in Brazil from a previous version that has carried over exactly the same to FM18. If you do find one then please raise it in the relevant bugs forum thread here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/411276-brazil-official-league-specific-issues/

Thanks. 

It's really sad that it seems we've now regressed to the point that putting in some work to make an informed decision based on your own experiences seems beyond some people.  It's the internet - I wouldn't trust the opinion of someone on whether it was raining while I was sat outside getting wet.

I'm enjoying this years version to be honest. I'm using some ridiculous tactic with 3 out and out strikers, two attacking wing backs and an attacking midfielder. 

Any ball down the channel is picked up by one of the three and it's a simple cross in for one of the other 2 to score. Lots of pace. Good fun to watch although we let in at least a goal a game, which is a little frustrating.

Some of the UI is awkward, and the columns in my custom view keep changing size so I have to scroll but other than that I can't really complain.

I like the addition of little 3 day injuries as it's a lot more realistic. I have noticed though that I get about 7 concussions a year. 

All in all, as long as you forget everything  you know about real life tactics when creating your in game tactic you won't go far wrong. 

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

It's really sad that it seems we've now regressed to the point that putting in some work to make an informed decision based on your own experiences seems beyond some people.  It's the internet - I wouldn't trust the opinion of someone on whether it was raining while I was sat outside getting wet.

its really sad that it seems we've now regressed to the point that having different preferences on how to decide what you spend your own money on is something to be judged for...

the guy said a demo will not help, as he is already familiar with the game after years of play. and i can understand that, as the game really doesnt change that much version to version. for me that is a bad thing, and with the UI and other problems with game speed, lag and a continually poor ME a demo wouldnt help me decide next year either. i will be waiting until the game has been out a while and see what bugs, glitches and match exploits people are experiencing first

the other reason i would wait, is that it takes so damned long to start a save. i wont be bothering to spend 20+ hours on the first day of a save again just to find out all the tedious things i hate are still there. 6 months in game can take a week or more  irl. and that is a long time to waste just to walk away from it. you may think that is a week free play, but that isnt my mentality. if i walked away from the game after that i would feel like i wasted that time

Archived