Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

TBH this looks perfectly ok to me.  Thistle winning the league is very unlikely, last season they were very close to achieving the position in your screenshot, had they got the correct result in the final game pre-split.

Take away the top three clubs there (Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen) , the rest of the league is a lottery!NTQQYqG.png

Edited by ron6632

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had my new intake of youth players - actually some good ones for a change (2016 seemed to generate very few decent youth players - at least in my games). But the look of them suggests that it's not just Brexit we need to worry about - these regens look like they're the zombie apocalypse in waiting.

Just had my first crash dump of this year's game, happened at a totally random point, where the game was in the middle of processing. 

Couldn't have happened at a more annoying point. Last saved on the 21st May. Crashed on 29th July. An entire c;lose season lost. A lot of work scouting players, bringing players in, releasing others all gone (Vanarama North level, so a high turnaround of playing/non playing staff). The motivation to go through all that again pretty low. It's my own fault for not having an autosave going throughout a beta release, but still. 

ARRRRRRRGHHHHHH!!

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's my own fault for not having an autosave going throughout a beta release

Yup, your fault :p

That sucks though. I've ended many a save over the years because of crashes like that. If you replay it, I hope you manage to sign one or two of the ones that got away, or least negotiate some better contracts!

Just now, geofft said:

Yup, your fault :p

That sucks though. I've ended many a save over the years because of crashes like that. If you replay it, I hope you manage to sign one or two of the ones that got away, or least negotiate some better contracts!

If I do replay, I'll try and sign the same players. I won't go after ones that I lost out on, that would feel like cheating to me. I always try and play the right way.  I think I'll go back to my FMT save for a while then come back to this one later. 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is a nice wee touch, just got a news report on the FA Cup winners and the graphic shows their name engraved on the trophy!

95Ij3fk.png

I like that a lot. Very nice touch from SI.

Sometimes you have to enjoy the little things.

4 hours ago, Georgik said:

Also, is it really true that Arda Turan has 17 on Dribble, while Cristiano Ronaldo has 15 ? I refuse to believe that.

Probably to tr to reflect the reality that Ronaldo never dribbles any more (0.6 per game, the 12th most at Real Madrid this season according to WhoScored). And Arda Turan is very skilful dribbler, just slow. There are much stranger attributes in the game than that.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Is there any way to suggest your players to sack their agent without the new contract talk initiated by player themselves?

Because I have a 38mil€ valued player who's perfectly happy at the club but his damn agent puts a 47.5mil€ non-negotiable release clause in the new contract negotiation and wants 3x wage rise, from 5mil€ p/a to 15.

Ridiculous.

And I just managed to sign an extension with existing terms, 0€ agent fee, just changed the existing contract's lenght.
I think this is somehow bugged.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

And I just managed to sign an extension with existing terms, 0€ agent fee, just changed the existing contract's lenght.
I think this is somehow bugged.

Please post it in the bugs forum.

2 hours ago, ron6632 said:

TBH this looks perfectly ok to me.  Thistle winning the league is very unlikely, last season they were very close to achieving the position in your screenshot, had they got the correct result in the final game pre-split.

Take away the top three clubs there (Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen) , the rest of the league is a lottery!NTQQYqG.png

Well, yes, what Dagenham Dave posted is fine, I have no issue with that.  The problem is what I got in my game, this:

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zenir.jpg

Dominant win for them and the Celtic board were ok with Rodgers staying on as manager,  No way. 

Edited by TheGreatRadish

I chose International Footballer (National) as my experience level for my manager but when I look at my profile it says I have 0 caps. Anyone else have this issue or are caps no longer randomly assigned?

On my save Milan didn't extend Donnarumma's contract and there were literally no bids for him up until he was released from the club.
He performed well and was first choice at Milan for three seasons.

A bit weird considering he's like the biggest GK potential in the world?
Even now, 1st of July 2019 in game, list of interested clubs consists of Milan, Lazio, Real and Tigers.

My keepers refuse to follow my individual tactics that I've set up for them:

Distribute quickly, Pass shorter, Fewer risky passes, Roll it out or Throw it long, and Distribute to full backs (my tactics have wing backs instead of fullbacks though).  I have my team as whole playing a fast paced, attacking mentality, but set to build from the back with short passing out of the defensive zone.

They, instead, blast the ball up the middle of the pitch every time to an opposition player.  They constantly give possession away when my wing backs are totally unmarked and ready to begin a counter attack.

Anyone else having issues with this?  No matter how much I tweak this I still can't prevent any of my keepers from doing the same thing.

The thing that catches my eye, although i'm no expert, to say the least, on those instrustions, is the combination Distribute quickly and Fewer risky passes.
Could it be that the goalie judges the throws as risky passes and refuses to do it, and thus just hoofs it instead, as the safest option?

Edited by roykela

I think it's more to do with the 'distribute to fullbacks' option when he doesn't have any. I have just had the same issue on FM16. Playing 5 at the back with WBs, my GK just launched the ball long even though he had the same 'distribute to FBs' instruction. Since changing that one instruction to 'distribute to CBs' I've not had an issue.

27 minutes ago, Swell86 said:

My keepers refuse to follow my individual tactics that I've set up for them:

Distribute quickly, Pass shorter, Fewer risky passes, Roll it out or Throw it long, and Distribute to full backs (my tactics have wing backs instead of fullbacks though).  I have my team as whole playing a fast paced, attacking mentality, but set to build from the back with short passing out of the defensive zone.

They, instead, blast the ball up the middle of the pitch every time to an opposition player.  They constantly give possession away when my wing backs are totally unmarked and ready to begin a counter attack.

Anyone else having issues with this?  No matter how much I tweak this I still can't prevent any of my keepers from doing the same thing.

There was an issue with this in a previous FM. However, it's also true that the keeper won't do that every single time, it depends on the situation. Could just be in the highlights you're watching, he's doing it then. 

After trying more and more tactical instructions, it seems that crosses are still little overpowered, but there are a lot more of ways the teams are scoring, so not that obvious. You can't see inch perfect cross from deep landing direct to strikers feet, but you can still see cross goals, but now they are scored with header, backpass, etc. A little problem, but it's ok. In analysis, it shows that I scored 70 goals in last 50 matches, 30% of which are cross goals. Last season I played WB(s) and FB(s), and didn't have much cross goals, but WB(a) now is having 7.76 average rating, raking 11 assists in 24 matches.

16 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

What's with Twitter updates in FM17?

When you manually do an update by posting a video to twitter, the hashtag #FM17  is not used. 

There also seem to be no auto posts made by the game after a significant event. 

Any idea why?

Haven't done any social network stuff yet but as that is stuff that happened last year and before is it not worth reporting as a bug?

10 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

I'm not able to save corner routines has this been mentioned?

I think I've seen it mentioned that its to do with them being linked to the Steam Workshop and they aren't available until full release.

Question re players going  out on loan. I have sent or agreed to three players going out on loan. The clubs have agreed a monthly fee as well as paying their weekly wage. However, the wage budget I would have thought, would reflect this and hence be a lower committed amount than it was. it appears not so? Also where does the monthly payments appear in the finance secton, I cannot see them in the income breakdown figures, unless it is lumped into "Other"?

Cheers

Edited by Kazza

5 hours ago, roykela said:

The thing that catches my eye, although i'm no expert, to say the least, on those instrustions, is the combination Distribute quickly and Fewer risky passes.
Could it be that the goalie judges the throws as risky passes and refuses to do it, and thus just hoofs it instead, as the safest option?

5 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

I think it's more to do with the 'distribute to fullbacks' option when he doesn't have any. I have just had the same issue on FM16. Playing 5 at the back with WBs, my GK just launched the ball long even though he had the same 'distribute to FBs' instruction. Since changing that one instruction to 'distribute to CBs' I've not had an issue.

5 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There was an issue with this in a previous FM. However, it's also true that the keeper won't do that every single time, it depends on the situation. Could just be in the highlights you're watching, he's doing it then. 

Thank you all for the input on this issue.  I'll switch to the CB distribution to see if that solves the problem.

13 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Just had my first crash dump of this year's game, happened at a totally random point, where the game was in the middle of processing. 

Couldn't have happened at a more annoying point. Last saved on the 21st May. Crashed on 29th July. An entire c;lose season lost. A lot of work scouting players, bringing players in, releasing others all gone (Vanarama North level, so a high turnaround of playing/non playing staff). The motivation to go through all that again pretty low. It's my own fault for not having an autosave going throughout a beta release, but still. 

ARRRRRRRGHHHHHH!!

I feel you DD. 

Just thought I would share my experiences with the beta since I bought it on Friday.

Initially I thought I threw £35 toilet. The game crashed constantly, the match engine stuttered and went through large periods where the match wasn ‘t even visible. After tweaking the settings and some “turn It off and on again” tactics I have had a great experience with the game so far.

I have seen some people bemoan the constant injuries, I have to say even when I had 8-10 injuries spread between the First, Reserve and Youth Teams I never felt like the game was conspiring against me and I used the opportunity to experiment with the formations and starting 11. It’s a squad game so it is important to make sure you have depth for when the injuries start coming in.

Having migrated from FM14 I am having a blast and this version should last me another 3 years easily.

Got some time in over the weekend and one thing I have really noticed is the speed. So much faster and it's not even running from my SSD, massive positive. I like the improved UI and some nice little additions such as an improved 'hover screen' when hovering over the 'i' next to a players name, as well as finding out which teams want your players by hovering over the WNT icon.

Disappointed by the lack of change with interview/press conference questions/answers, in fact the whole interaction side needs a refresh IMO, with more choices than just 4 or 5 answers, to prevent this side of it becoming stale. I guess one further year like this cannot hurt though. Another negative is what seems to still be a lack of board history and board personality - it still feels like the same experience no matter which club I am at. The game needs more erratic/patient owners/chairmen so that each job feels much different than the last.

Overall though, I think the best thing SI could have done is to really clean up the existing version, which they have. May not feel like a huge jump for some users but I think most will appreciate the time spent on ironing out bugs/issues we have had with previous games and making this seem like a much fuller and reliable version.

Will wait for some editor files to be released before getting really stuck in. I usually carry over a save from Beta or start on release day with my main save, then regret a few months down the line that I hadn't downloaded editor files to move my career on into a different, previously inaccessible, part of the game.

Edited by gibbo11

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, gibbo11 said:

Got some time in over the weekend and one thing I have really noticed is the speed. So much faster and it's not even running from my SSD, massive positive. I like the improved UI and some nice little additions such as an improved 'hover screen' when hovering over the 'i' next to a players name, as well as finding out which teams want your players by hovering over the WNT icon.

Disappointed by the lack of change with interview/press conference questions/answers, in fact the whole interaction side needs a refresh IMO, with more choices than just 4 or 5 answers, to prevent this side of it becoming stale. I guess one further year like this cannot hurt though. Another negative is what seems to still be a lack of board history and board personality - it still feels like the same experience no matter which club I am at. The game needs more erratic/patient owners/chairmen so that each job feels much different than the last.

Overall though, I think the best thing SI could have done is to really clean up the existing version, which they have. May not feel like a huge jump for some users but I think most will appreciate the time spent on ironing out bugs/issues we have had with previous games and making this seem like a much fuller and reliable version.

Will wait for some editor files to be released before getting really stuck in. I usually carry over a save from Beta or start on release day with my main save, then regret a few months down the line that I hadn't downloaded editor files to move my career on into a different, previously inaccessible, part of the game.

If you've got some ideas on how we could refresh press conferences etc, please do take the time to raise it in our feature request forum which can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Thanks. 

I have a question. In the "tactics" screen in the middle of a match. Is there any way to change the way the conditioning is shown. In older games I have always seen it as a %. In this game, I have the two circles denoting how tired a player is. I get it as a % at the start of the game when choosing the team, just not during. 

instructions that dont seem to be working:

1- pass shorter and roll it out for GKs. my GK keeps on hoofing the ball despite his instructions.

2- prevent short GK distribution. my players are very clearly not doing this as the opposition defense are not marked or pressed at all during their goal kicks.

also, have loaded a medium database with the top 2 divisions of the top 5 leagues and there are some outside teams with very few real players. for example, i encountered AZ Alkmaar in the europa league and they had only 2 players in their squad.

Edited by Romanista.

I like how warm-up and entrance of the match animations were added, but nothing for the end of the match or trophy celebration, its like it takes a year do add little things to the 3d match, really? Like only one camera angle per version, lol.

Also disappointed to see that press conferences were only barely changed, 5 answers of "very yes, yes, no answer, no, very no", and the tones don't matter much because they don't even change the question. Makes the press conferences the worst part of the game when you are doing long term saves, 10 years later the same questions and answers.

I have not bought the game yet, this is what i see from youtubers. I'm also annoyed to see that strikers do not know dribbling the GK or chipping him is a possibility. Have you guys ever watched Messi play? No wonder people complain so much about strikers.

33 minutes ago, Silver Twilight Sparkle said:

I like how warm-up and entrance of the match animations were added, but nothing for the end of the match or trophy celebration, its like it takes a year do add little things to the 3d match, really? Like only one camera angle per version, lol.

Also disappointed to see that press conferences were only barely changed, 5 answers of "very yes, yes, no answer, no, very no", and the tones don't matter much because they don't even change the question. Makes the press conferences the worst part of the game when you are doing long term saves, 10 years later the same questions and answers.

I have not bought the game yet, this is what i see from youtubers. I'm also annoyed to see that strikers do not know dribbling the GK or chipping him is a possibility. Have you guys ever watched Messi play? No wonder people complain so much about strikers.

Commenting on the game when you haven't played it is always going to carry the possibility of being wrong... in your case as one example, chipping the keeper is very much a part of the game and I have seen it plenty of times in my few saves thus far... same can be said about dribbling..

Just now, Welshace said:

Commenting on the game when you haven't played it is always going to carry the possibility of being wrong... in your case as one example, chipping the keeper is very much a part of the game and I have seen it plenty of times in my few saves thus far... same can be said about dribbling..

I hope so, so far i have not seen it in youtuber games, either from them or their opposition. I intend to try the demo when its out and see if i can try to buy it (since buying in BR is more complicated).

I have to say in FM16 chipping and dribbling the GK is non existent (played about 20 seasons). I hope this is not the case with FM17.

Actually, I've been pretty pleased with the rate of goals on breakaways this year.  Granted, I haven't played since 14, but it seemed like they never scored.  Now they do fairly often.  In fact, playing in the non-league ranks, playing a pacey attacker with a mediocre finishing score has proved to be a pretty legit tactic.

Some of the Social Feed comments are broken. I signed a few of my youth intake and almost all of them had a comment on the signing saying "I don't know why we have signed him, why not give one of our own a chance."

9 minutes ago, OTron said:

Some of the Social Feed comments are broken. I signed a few of my youth intake and almost all of them had a comment on the signing saying "I don't know why we have signed him, why not give one of our own a chance."

The Social feed is really tedious, actually.  It's the same three tweets to every transfer.

11 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We've just released an update for the Pre-Release Beta for FM and FMT. Details here - 

It's a big one. There are ME changes or will be an update with the full release? Ty.

Edited by Altair