The Ask-SI-Anything Thread

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks chaps it's probably just a case of that then.  I use a BWM D just behind a BWM S and a CM S and to be fair the BWM D seems to lose match energy as well but not as much as Sanches.  Just checked Kante at Chelsea in a few of their games and he seems to finish games low on match fitness as well and whilst I can't check what roles and duties they play he is the same as Sanches stamina and natural fitness wise so it's probably aggressive CM roles that cause the drop.

6 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Thanks chaps it's probably just a case of that then.  I use a BWM D just behind a BWM S and a CM S and to be fair the BWM D seems to lose match energy as well but not as much as Sanches.  Just checked Kante at Chelsea in a few of their games and he seems to finish games low on match fitness as well and whilst I can't check what roles and duties they play he is the same as Sanches stamina and natural fitness wise so it's probably aggressive CM roles that cause the drop.

Of course the Support duty player will lose more - he runs more.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:02, Ed Hewison said:

Hi @Sussex Hammer.

Do you have a Sugar Daddy owner? If you do, the player will know this and as such, he will probably want quite a high wage. However, I assume Man City still have the same owners, and they are definitely Sugar Daddies, so I'm not sure why the wage he is on at City has not ended up similar to the one he was asking for at West Ham.

Could you please post in the FMT forum or in the Transfers and Contracts bugs forum, and if possible could you provide a save game from before he moves too? Details of how to upload to the FTP are linked below.

Ed, Just an update on the strange Fegouli thing.  Checked his page at the end of the third season and noticed that he didn't play one competitive game for Man City in an entire season so makes the whole saga even more bizarre!!

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Ed, Just an update on the strange Fegouli thing.  Checked his page at the end of the third season and noticed that he didn't play one competitive game for Man City in an entire season so makes the whole saga even more bizarre!!

That's strange, has he become unhappy and asked to leave?

6 hours ago, Ed Hewison said:

That's strange, has he become unhappy and asked to leave?

Yes he is unhappy and has asked to leave.  So he leaves West Ham for a lesser contract at City and never plays?!  Plus why spend 27 million on a player that you never play?!  Very odd situation.  City made three other major transfers at the start of the third season and all played matches.

8 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Yes he is unhappy and has asked to leave.  So he leaves West Ham for a lesser contract at City and never plays?!  Plus why spend 27 million on a player that you never play?!  Very odd situation.  City made three other major transfers at the start of the third season and all played matches.

they signed giroud off me for a significant fee circa 30m and he's not played. Part of me wishes the AI had better rotation policy ... but its not really an FM problem.. IRL city sign up lots of teams best players then just let them rot on the bench or in the reserves.

Does the Quick Match Engine calculate results when detail level is set on none based on reputation only? If so, does that mean teams such as Barca/RM can't be caught up with since:

Higher reputation>More games won>More leagues won>Higher reputation and so on.

Or is it similarly realistic to the match engine when detail is set to full? Will player skill, tactics and training still have any effects? Don't want to see my save turn into only 1 team in every other league being strong for continental competitions. Since I set other leagues to Playable it would be a shame to find out that setting detail to None would make those the player skill irrelevant.

Edit: Another question, what does the 'Speed to Process Other Team's Matches' do? If I put it to normal/fast does it only process when I click continue while slow processes totally in the background?

2 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

they signed giroud off me for a significant fee circa 30m and he's not played. Part of me wishes the AI had better rotation policy ... but its not really an FM problem.. IRL city sign up lots of teams best players then just let them rot on the bench or in the reserves.

Oh absolutely I agree.  In itself it's not a major issue it's just on top of the saga I had with him in my post on the previous page (I see there are no post numbers these days so can't direct you to it) where he refused a massive pay rise that I offered him and went to City settling on less money that he was demanding off me.  Demands 245K pw from me (he was on 65k) , turns down two offers of 130k and 150k and then goes to City for 120k pw and sits rotting in the reserves.  If that was me I'd be shooting my agent!!!

Looks like I may have a similar issue coming with Oliver Burke.  He signed a contract for 54k per week, and to be fair has had a decent season so wants a new deal to reflect his ability.  My current average for a key player at West Ham in  2019 is 140k pw and yet Burke wants :

a)  If you accept his demand of a big pay rise at the negotiation table he demands 325k per week.

b) If you remove his demand for a big pay rise under promises he wants 235k per week.

Both massive rises from 54k pw and would put him up with the highest players in the country.  To give these demands some comparison, in game Aguero is on 300k pw, Dybala is at Man United on 210k pw and Pogba is on 325 k pw and yet my 22 year old Scottish International is demanding upwards of 200k pw. 

Might sell him to Bayern and see if he plays a game!!!

1 hour ago, Äktsjon Männ said:

Still bugged in my game. I'm not sure there has been an update though, no recent downloads shown in Steam at least.

1 hour ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Just some files were updated, not the game. 

Interesting as my scouting reports have started showing the est transfer prices/wage demands again.

I didn't play long enough last night to see if the 100%/outstanding areas was fixed or not though.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

This has been answered by SI: 

Thanks for the response. I already read that post but I am not sure what to make of it. When it won't be fixed at critical times between release and patch it means that it will be fixed in FM 18 at earliest? Really sad if so because for me it's a major issue.

Just now, derTuchel said:

Thanks for the response. I already read that post but I am not sure what to make of it. When it won't be fixed at critical times between release and patch it means that it will be fixed in FM 18 at earliest? Really sad if so because for me it's a major issue.

The post is quite clear:

"This is an area of the game that we need to improve for future editions of the game "

I have a question about the attribute anticipation. The ingame description says: 'the ability to predict and react to events going on around him". It's easy to see how this would be relevant in defensive positioning and off the ball movement. But is it also related to passing, finishing and tackling? For passing it would make sense: if you see where players are moving, then it's easier to know what kind of pass to give (obviously vision and decisions are important here as well). For finishing: if you see the goalkeeper moving a bit towards the left corner, you can decide (decisions) to shoot it in the right corner. Or tackling: reading the intentions of a dribbler and not be misdirected by tricks.

Is my reasoning correct here?

4 hours ago, Preud'homme said:

I have a question about the attribute anticipation. The ingame description says: 'the ability to predict and react to events going on around him". It's easy to see how this would be relevant in defensive positioning and off the ball movement. But is it also related to passing, finishing and tackling? For passing it would make sense: if you see where players are moving, then it's easier to know what kind of pass to give (obviously vision and decisions are important here as well). For finishing: if you see the goalkeeper moving a bit towards the left corner, you can decide (decisions) to shoot it in the right corner. Or tackling: reading the intentions of a dribbler and not be misdirected by tricks.

Is my reasoning correct here?

Spot on

• 3 weeks later...

I have question for SI too...

When you are playing competition, domestic league or international cup, why is game processing fixtures slower of  competitions in which your club participate (and making your game slower btw), when results could be "spawned" immediately without waiting and thus make game more faster?? I dont see the reason why we need to wait for results to be processed and losing time unnecessary...

Thank you in advance!

33 minutes ago, Luke Cro said:

I have question for SI too...

When you are playing competition, domestic league or international cup, why is game processing fixtures slower of  competitions in which your club participate (and making your game slower btw), when results could be "spawned" immediately without waiting and thus make game more faster?? I dont see the reason why we need to wait for results to be processed and losing time unnecessary...

Thank you in advance!

How do you think results are calculated exactly? ... it's not random.. it's based upon the same things that your own matches are, making it more realistic and fair.

4 hours ago, Welshace said:

How do you think results are calculated exactly? ... it's not random.. it's based upon the same things that your own matches are, making it more realistic and fair.

I realize that... but that "process" could progress faster...  What's the difference in processing (let's say) FM2008 and FM2017?? Both games need calculations...  But in FM2008 that will go much smoother...Why??

Quick question.  Did the winter update (I'm playing FMT) stop the Assistant from applying opposition instructions before the match?  Reason I ask is that prior to the update the Opposition Instructions were pre set, so if you didn't want to use your Assistants ideas you had to clear them.  Now and I stumbled across this I note instructions are clear pre match so if you want to use your assistants ideas you have to click to set them up.  Great addition to be honest because I didn't want the assistant to pre set anyway but I can't see this down on the list of changes in the update so was just wondering if it was a change.

11 minutes ago, Luke Cro said:

I realize that... but that "process" could progress faster...  What's the difference in processing (let's say) FM2008 and FM2017?? Both games need calculations...  But in FM2008 that will go much smoother...Why??

I don't know exactly but some things would be a mix of detail level and number of calculations.

I would imagine back in 08 only your own league would be fully calculated by default whereas now I suspect there are more detailed calculations in other leagues by default.

The number of calculations per match has also increased with all the actions of everything happening on the pitch calculated eight times a second in FM17 whereas in 08 it was four max per second maybe less.

Add to that the average person probably loads more teams & leagues now then they did on 08 which leads to more matches being calculated.

50 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I don't know exactly but some things would be a mix of detail level and number of calculations.

I would imagine back in 08 only your own league would be fully calculated by default whereas now I suspect there are more detailed calculations in other leagues by default.

The number of calculations per match has also increased with all the actions of everything happening on the pitch calculated eight times a second in FM17 whereas in 08 it was four max per second maybe less.

Add to that the average person probably loads more teams & leagues now then they did on 08 which leads to more matches being calculated.

Maybe, it'd be good to lower number of calculations to increase overall game speed... Now when I load only one nation with 2-3 leagues, game process nation leagues, European competitions (both club and international), etc... However I can't say game is fast, (that has nothing to do with latest patch and "game slower after update" issues) although there are 4-5 stars of overall game speed..Also I'd say my laptop is average, not good and not bad... I'd say we lost to much time on processing fixtures and number of calculations should be lowered... @Lucas Weatherby any thoughts on this "issue" sir??

I know that match engine (3D) maybe lower game speed  too... I see difference when you are playing in 2d and 3d... With 2d there's almost no box dialog "teams are warming up"... And btw, what specs you need to run 3d match on high settings?? I can barely get one star...

On the other hand, there is also data editor...  And why is FM08 editor faster than FM17 editor?? FM17 editor maybe has bigger database to work with and functions like nation, continental and international rules but it could have better speed... Sometimes it seems that editor itself is slower than game.. So maybe, as essential part of every FM game, data editor should have complete revamp...

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Luke Cro said:

any thoughts on this "issue" sir??

You can use the detail level screen and set the detail level to minimum which will increase processing fixture times.

30 minutes ago, Luke Cro said:

And why is FM08 editor faster than FM17 editor??

Because its about 9 years old. FM17's going to be slower as a lot more improvements and features have been added since.

It's not really realistic to expect a game to improve over 10 years and be faster than a game 10 years ago, or even for a game to have more features yet still be quicker. Newer and better hardware enables more features and to play these older games quicker than we ever used to, and to play the latest games in higher detail.

4 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Quick question.  Did the winter update (I'm playing FMT) stop the Assistant from applying opposition instructions before the match?  Reason I ask is that prior to the update the Opposition Instructions were pre set, so if you didn't want to use your Assistants ideas you had to clear them.  Now and I stumbled across this I note instructions are clear pre match so if you want to use your assistants ideas you have to click to set them up.  Great addition to be honest because I didn't want the assistant to pre set anyway but I can't see this down on the list of changes in the update so was just wondering if it was a change.

If you go to your Assistant's profile you can set the instruction by ticking the checkbox in the Assistant's actions menu. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Did the winter update (I'm playing FMT) stop the Assistant from applying opposition instructions before the match?

We've found this may be an issue but you can still set it to your Assistant if you need to through his profile. 

1 hour ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

If you go to your Assistant's profile you can set the instruction by ticking the checkbox in the Assistant's actions menu. 

Can you do that on FMT?  Had a look for interest and can't see that option.

50 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

We've found this may be an issue but you can still set it to your Assistant if you need to through his profile. 

Not an issue Lucas, it's actually better because now you start a game with no instructions and can add them if you wish whereas prior you started with instructions and had to de-select.  Easier for those of us who just forget about them full stop!!!  I was just intrigued if the change was deliberate?

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Can you do that on FMT?  Had a look for interest and can't see that option.

In the Actions menu the button is labelled "Handles Opposition Instructions"

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:04, Lucas Weatherby said:

In the Actions menu the button is labelled "Handles Opposition Instructions"

Thanks Lucas found it.  Have to say though it's far better this way around.

One other question by the way as I can't really see the answer in a search.  Do you know how the game works out Manager of the Year?  Reason I ask is that in my first save since the update I finished 6th in the Premier League, Won the League Cup, Reached the 6th Round of the FA Cup but embarrassingly was knocked out by Aberdeen in the Europa League qualifiers.  I was however handed Manager of the Year.  Whilst obviously delighted I have had previous saves, one in particular, where I won both cups and achieved a top 4 finish in the first season but didn't win Manager of the Year even though on paper that was a far more successful season.  In my latest save I feel a bit sorry for Arsene Wenger because Arsenal won the League and the FA Cup so trophies wise he did far better.

Does it take into account other things bar just trophies?  Not an issue in the major scheme of things just interested.

Hello, everyone.

Made a thread in the training forum as I have a question but we don't seem to have an answer.

Is it possible to tutor part-time / non-professional players?

If so, what could the possible cause of no suitable tutors or tutees be? Not even the typical "x players with too high reputation" etc. Simply no tutors / tutees for everyone.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Q 1: regarding gelling/adapting of players: What at the start of a save in the editor determines whether a player has just arrived new in a country/at a club -- and do SI ever run tests how big of an influence it would have if clubs would start with an entire new starting eleven, probably even foreigners who don't all speak the same language. I ran experiments where I "tricked" the game into thinking Atletico Madrid and others were an altogether "new" squad by going into the editor, marking players, moving/contracting them to another club (whose roster I had emptied). The assistant would affirm this worked (no understanding amongst the players). But that obviously is a little flawed a test. They would on occasion pretty much underperform drastically though when managed by AI (full match details). Talking slumps into lower mid-tables on occasion at its most severe. The closest I found on this were a couple of wwfan posts where he talked about Beta Tester experiences of old iterations. But how things work now may be something else as they did back then, considering that "penalties" may be subject to change some and are then filtered through different ME iterations.

Q 2: regarding feedback on all of this. FM 2012/2013 and earlier right in the player profile screen had an "assistant feedback report" on every single match, where apart of a few things about his general performance (skinned all too often etc.) he would tell you if a player would still adapt -- this could have lasted a season or thereabouts until it disappeared depending on the player. Why was this taken out and/or has there ever been a proper replacement for that considering that this should have quite a bit of an influence, considering that teams can struggle for consistency in football too if they bring on loads of new players? Likewise, if that wouldn't be a serious factor, everybody would just bring in loads of foreigners every second window anew, rather than steadily building a team, as any (successful) top clubs nowadays goes about it.

• Administrators

Q1 - Yes it's something we've tested at various levels in the past, ranging from newly signed players with different nationalities/adaptability ratings and down to individual players being added to already adapted squads. This has been tweaked a fair bit over the years so is (we feel at least) more realistic now than it was in previous versions. 

Q2 - We're aware that some of the various bits of feedback in the game can be a bit hidden and vague and it's something we're always looking to try and improve. If you have any specific suggestions then please feel free to raise it in the feature request forum.

Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread but in light of Seb's recent.. clarifications, I thought I would take the opportunity to ask some more. 

1. What is the accurate definition of a clear cut chance within the game?

2. Why don't GK's get sent off?

3. Why don't GK's get injured in line with real life?

4. Why do so few penalties miss the target?

4. Why are GK's better at taking penalties than outfield players?

5. What is it, (primarily), that determines the outcome of a penalty, (because we know it's not the penalty taking attribute)?

• SI Staff
On 31/07/2017 at 09:52, Jimbokav1971 said:

3. Why don't GK's get injured in line with real life?

In ME terms GKs need to be in a position to get injured. Usually colliding with a player or overexerting themselves to make a catch or save.
In training terms they respond similarly to all players, although there are some injuries that are exclusive to GKs and we do treat them somewhat separately to outfield players when calculating injury frequencies. 
GKs certainly do get injured both in match and in training, but if you think the frequency is out of line with reality report it as a bug in the appropriate section and we'll take a look.

• 3 months later...
Guest El Payaso

What is the aim of SI in terms of the game's difficulty level? Like a clear aim: how hard you are aiming the game to be? 

I mean I haven't really played this year's beta edition but what I have noticed that the AI still makes quite silly tactical choices like for example having a midfield trio of which none are providing anything to attack and having a lone striker as a poacher. It doesn't really take much to beat a team what that kinds of tactics.

Also I've once again seen human users going seasons unbeaten with not that great tactics. Is this the purpose so that it will be quite easy for all of us or is the aim to make the game realistic and the AI hard to beat?

Second question would be: do you somehow try to make teams like for example Barcelona and Real Madrid play in a realistic way and if yes how does it work?

Archived