Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

2 minutes ago, jlammi said:

yeah, the game says its 24.4 version so i am correct version, which is good i dont have to verify my editor files?

I have not had the 'created with an older database' warning from the editor when loading editor files from pre-update. So I assume you are good to go.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

I didn't say it holds no importance, just that it is very rare to find good balanced open PvP in a game that is predominantly (or was conceived as) single player. Games designed to be PvP from the ground up are much less likely to be distorted by meta/exploit/edge-case gameplay elements because development was done with PvP in mind from the start. FM is a single player vs AI game with a PvP mode bolted on. At no point in its development is anyone considering how gameplay elements might be pushed to their extreme by human players trying to get an edge over other human players.

I enjoy PvP. But I enjoy it in games designed for PvP. FM is not such a game so feedback based on experience of open PvP tactical extremes is not relevant to the bulk of players or gameplay.

Yeah, no I can appreciate that - it's not an easy task and impossible to get a perfect balance it's the nature of all games I guess. That said, because of how more imbalanced the game has been this year I would have expected at least an attempt to try and improve the flaws that were very evident early in the game cycle - and that's with not just the issues which have been raised above, but by any other posters on the forum.

And in the case of online play, to try and improve the game to a point where players don't feel the need / forced to have to use the most broken tactic available to enjoy the game. Players should be able to have a variety of different tactics to choose from that all function and compete well enough against each other, recognising there may be the edge using one in comparison to another. Those players using it, simply did so because they don't want to get screwed over by someone else using the same broken tactic lol. And that's a really sad state imo, which I hoped could have been improved upon.

But generally, as an overall overview, the fact there has not been any effort to try and improve the functionality of any key aspects of the game in the later two patches when there was sufficient time to do so, for me is an unforgiveable let-down, and it has just felt this particular year's game has been highly neglected and has missed the benchmarks / promises that were made prior to it's release.

Edited by g1nh0

3 hours ago, g1nh0 said:

-False statement. Now, you can only leave 2 players back 100% of the time when having an offensive corner, where the AI can choose to leave 3 players up top to hit you on the break leaving you exposed. Previously, you had no limitations in how you chose to place your players and on any set pieces, and number. It's unrealistic not to be able to adapt to being outnumbered in a set piece scenario.

I would like to have the option to have at least 3 players back 100% of the time, maybe 4 in such a scenario so i'm not exposed late on in a game when I am defending a lead

When in the set piece creator you do have the option to set Recovery defenders and you can have as many as 5 focused on being recovery defenders, Two will stay near the half way line and 3 more at the edge of the area. Its pretty difficult being exposed to counters at the moment and I usually only have one staying back. Granted its not what you want (ie, having 3 or more players at the halfway line), and that could be something that one requests as a future feature.

RecoveryDefenders.thumb.png.8e7b6b683e48173322c2044e0870b23c.png

FocusedonTallPlayer.png.752106091df4ef3ca909f4895f3bb15e.png

I don't think there was ever a feature where we could assign someone specifically to be man marked at set pieces and that too could be a future feature request. What the game does at the moment is work off your priority lists. Here my priority lists are aerial, and I have set player mark as the first priority in my set piece so my best player will be assigned to mark a threat. And since this is aerial, it will follow my list of aerial defenders and choose the one at the top of the list to man mark their best aerial threat, like the one I have shown above.

What I have noticed and this is something I could never do in earlier editions of the game was to target specific weak areas of the opposition via opp reports, and this I do diligently every game. If the AI likes to target the near post I have at least 2 players covering that zone, one for the aerial threat and one for the box threat, if I find that it has too many good players with jumping reach, I then move the player out of the box threat and have two players marking the near post aerially. The feeling I get of seeing in game tweaks to set pieces taking off makes this an OP feature for the human player on FM24, and some might even suggest setting everyone to mixed so that the feature cannot be exploited. I disagree, we need to push it as far as possible so SI can see what needs improving.

I do find that the opposition reports are giving away a lot of information that can help you defend set pieces effectively. I think the human has an overwhelming advantage at set pieces, so much so that its quite frequently a given that I will score from one.  I can't directly exploit them ie, play the near post routine for every game and score 30 goals with my central defender, and I am thankful for that.

As far as throw ins go, this has always been an issue with the game, previously we only had the option to set up throw ins for the attacking third, never the defensive and middle thirds. Now we do, so there are more options in general terms, but in specific terms, SI has decided to go a different way with offensive throws in the final third and have given us two broad options " work ball into box" or "long throw". Now this is a design decision from them and they are entitled to make any decision choice they want - it's their game. So I am happy reconciling myself with the fact that an offensive throw is as equally effective for me as the AI. 

At the moment, the biggest gripe I have with the game is that the AI doesn't adapt to what I am doing. To give you an example:

I always opt to front load all my direct freekicks, leaving only one player back. This gives me a numerical advantage, and its not uncommon in the modern game, more and more sides are front loading when they attacking the box on set pieces. What I would like to see more of is the AI trying that out or at least recognising that I have done that and pull everyone back. The set piece creator does give me plenty of options for corners and free kicks, and I do enjoy taking advantage of playing a mixture of short routines and near post routines, and switching things around midway when I notice VVD is defending the near post. Using everton I sat back and played a low block for 90 mins against LFC, and scored a goal off a setpiece sent to the far post.

The set piece creator isn't perfect and can only get better, but to say we don't have any options to defend isn't an issue I face.

20 hours ago, LucasBR said:

Preparing myself mentally to be extremely disappointed with South American transfers update 

So yeah, I was right... So annoying why they can't update brazilian clubs, it seems SI dont give a duck to any other leagues than the Europeans... 

And before someone starts saying why didn't I used a third party update is because I've paid full price for a game that was considered the best of the franchise and yet I need to depend on the comunity to play with my childhood club, that's utterly shameful.

25 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

When in the set piece creator you do have the option to set Recovery defenders and you can have as many as 5 focused on being recovery defenders, Two will stay near the half way line and 3 more at the edge of the area. Its pretty difficult being exposed to counters at the moment and I usually only have one staying back. Granted its not what you want (ie, having 3 or more players at the halfway line), and that could be something that one requests as a future feature.

RecoveryDefenders.thumb.png.8e7b6b683e48173322c2044e0870b23c.png

I don't think there was ever a feature where we could assign someone specifically to be man marked at set pieces and that too could be a future feature request. What the game does at the moment is work off your priority lists. Here my priority lists are aerial, and I have set player mark as the first priority in my set piece so my best player will be assigned to mark a threat. And since this is aerial, it will follow my list of aerial defenders and choose the one at the top of the list to man mark their best aerial threat.

What I have noticed and this is something I could never do in earlier editions of the game was to target specific weak areas of the opposition via opp reports, and this I do diligently every game. If the AI likes to target the near post I have at least 2 players covering that zone, one for the aerial threat and one for the box threat, if I find that it has too many good players with jumping reach, I then move the player out of the box threat and have two players marking the near post aerially.

I do find that the opposition reports are giving away a lot of information that can help you defend set pieces effectively. I think the human has an overwhelming advantage at set pieces, so much so that its quite frequently a given that I will score from one.  I can't directly exploit them ie, play the near post routine for every game and score 30 goals with my central defender, and I am thankful for that.

As far as throw ins go, this has always been an issue with the game, previously we only had the option to set up throw ins for the attacking third, never the defensive and middle thirds. Now we do, so there are more options in general terms, but in specific terms, SI has decided to go a different way with offensive throws in the final third and have given us two broad options " work ball into box" or "long throw". Now this is a design decision from them and they are entitled to make any decision choice they want - it's their game. So I am happy reconciling myself with the fact that an offensive throw is as equally effective for me as the AI. 

At the moment, the biggest gripe I have with the game is that the AI doesn't adapt to what I am doing. To give you an example:

I always opt to front load all my direct freekicks, leaving only one player back. This gives me a numerical advantage, and its not uncommon in the modern game, more and more sides are front loading when they attacking the box on set pieces. What I would like to see more of is the AI trying that out or at least recognising that I have done that and pull everyone back. The set piece creator does give me plenty of options for corners and free kicks, and I do enjoy taking advantage of playing a mixture of short routines and near post routines, and switching things around midway when I notice VVD is defending the near post. Using everton I sat back and played a low block for 90 mins against LFC, and scored a goal off a setpiece sent to the far post.

The set piece creator isn't perfect and can only get better, but to say we don't have any options to defend isn't an issue I face.

Off memory, I think the option I'm recalling was being able to mark "Taller Player". (Think you were also able to mark shorter players too.)

So you would be able to prioritise the profile of a player likely to provide the most dangerous threat at set pieces, and ensure that player was being attended to. What would be nice to see going forward is something like that made available, and designate players / rank them for that particular task.

Yes, well when I see x3 players all on the half way line against only 2 of mine, let's say it doesn't instil me with confidence if the opponents are able to boot the ball clear to then have a straight 3 on 2 situation! :) My preferred option would be with them options, have at least 3 being able to stay back permanently, with one potentially choosing to "go back if needed".

That's something I would / in fact have always frequently employed (until not being able to do so this year) if I'm holding a slender lead with not a lot of time left of the game.

At the moment, even if the way the game is designed it doesn't punish you as much as it could do with a 3 on 2 advantage, it just doesn't sit right with me not having the ability to feel more secure in not being outnumbered in that part of the pitch. And I don't think it's at all realistic to not have that available, because I'm pretty sure if a team is losing and leaves 3 up top on the half way line from a defending corner, the offensive team would certainly consider the option of choosing to leave 3 or 4 back in that scenario, rather than risk losing the ball trying to retain possession and/or simply being hit on a quick direct transition to them 3 up top.

The other thing I dislike as well, is being someone that employs zonal marking, the ability to choose which wing-back I employ on the near/far posts. Typically I prefer them wing-backs taking up those positions, so that in the case of a short corner being taken (I don't have someone mark someone that goes short), the player on the near post is on his natural side and would be able to close down more effectively from that spot (likely having more pace too).

At the moment because of how you have to rank players on a list of their suitability / task at defending corners, there's no way I can pick that specific player suited to that side to take up that position on the near post. (in other words, sometimes my left back who should defend the near post when its taken on the left, would end up moving to the right side near post when the throw in is taken on that right hand-side - I would want the right back there, but I'm forced to use my left back due to the ranking / list system).

It's the micro-managing in key areas which for me has been lost at the moment and is a great frustration for me. At least, I can't employ my strategies in this game :D 

Edited by g1nh0

One tiny detail and a question too: has anyone seen a single poor delivery from corner kicks or indirect free kicks? For me it seems that the deliveries are always spot on. 

6 minutes ago, cherryman71 said:

I think Miles and or his team should issue an apology, as he did last year. The promised new features at launch are just patently either not there or not working. And all the bug reports, people wasting time uploading saves to the cloud, writing out long explanations, are now ignored. For a full price game, it is not good enough. Even the last data update is out of date by 2 months, with the likes of Hodgson still at Palace. The whole version this year has been very poor

Amen

Anyone notices the glaring omission of posts by anyone with the blue circle as avatar on the left-hand side? It's like they've stuck the head in the sand like ostriches, absolutely no comment on anything after the update on a thread called "feedback".

5 hours ago, SkaldfraNorden said:

Anyone notices the glaring omission of posts by anyone with the blue circle as avatar on the left-hand side? It's like they've stuck the head in the sand like ostriches, absolutely no comment on anything after the update on a thread called "feedback".

Maybe they have more important things to do? 

I've been playing for many (too many maybe) years. Started with FM06 and played most versions.

I know that SI aims for more impactful updates next year and initially, I appreciated the honesty in admitting they're already focused there. But I was still disappointed with this year's patches.

On the positive side, loved the upgraded graphics, but I skipped 3 versions, so that might be the reason.

The ME is interesting this year, but I think it needs more work, as I think it favours the modern "Pep-Klopp-Arteta" styles too much. Not all teams use positional play, but I think this year the game kinda forces you to.

And this is the main reason for my disappointment with the patches, I hoped that some variety would be added. Still hoping for next year, but I am not holding my breath and that's ok too. At the end of the day, we spend 30-35EUR for a game that offers at least 500-600 hours of gameplay. Back when I was a student, that number would be closer to 1500, but that's a story for another time.

Is there any way to load the pre-update 24.30 database?
When I load the editor data edited in the pre-update database into the post-update database, the editor data gets messed up and all the added players disappear.
I want to load the 24.30 database, edit it in the 24.30 database, and start a new career in the 24.30 database.

I need the pre-update ‘24.30 database’, not the post-update ‘24.30 database’.

1 hour ago, らぱらさにゃん said:

Is there any way to load the pre-update 24.30 database?
When I load the editor data edited in the pre-update database into the post-update database, the editor data gets messed up and all the added players disappear.
I want to load the 24.30 database, edit it in the 24.30 database, and start a new career in the 24.30 database.

I need the pre-update ‘24.30 database’, not the post-update ‘24.30 database’.

No. The new 24.3 update has over-written the previous 24.3 database. This is a surprising choice by SI for exactly the reason you describe. It is also generally bad practice to have different released database (or game) versions with the same name. I’m sure SI has a reason to do it this way, but I can’t think of one. It should be v24.3 or v24.3.1

26 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

No. The new 24.3 update has over-written the previous 24.3 database. This is a surprising choice by SI for exactly the reason you describe. It is also generally bad practice to have different released database (or game) versions with the same name. I’m sure SI has a reason to do it this way, but I can’t think of one. It should be v24.3 or v24.3.1

The Japanese database only provides incomplete data, and I need to create players in the editor to supplement it.

However, many other players have told me that there will be an update soon and that it will be updated there.

They said there’s no need to rush even if it’s incomplete now. But I didn’t believe that, so I was editing the supplementary file created by someone else, editing it into a higher quality one, and trying to start the game.

(The one created by someone else is wrong in terms of position, height, and weight, and cannot be used as it is. For example, Solbakken plays as a center back)

The editing of the supplementary file was almost finished on the night before the update, and I was doing the final check for other parts.

I noticed that one necessary player had been deleted, and the update came when I was about to edit it. And the editor data was broken.

Currently, I only have save data with one necessary player missing.

To recover, I have to start by creating one player to supplement. However, there is no list of players who were supplemented. The only hint is the over 40,000 change logs contained in the editing history of a player named Bruno Santos in the broken editor data.

Given that the update version number hasn’t changed, I’m guessing that the update merely added some files. I’m wondering if there’s a way to access the pre-update database by deleting or moving specific files.

Also, I’m curious if it’s possible to revert back to the pre-update state by obtaining game files from a player who saved their game prior to the update. I’m willing to overlook any potential legal issues for now and just want to explore the possibilities.

Edited by XaW
removed big letters in caps

When I try to start a new save, the game still says that it is using the 24.3 database. This is at least a mislabeling that I would not expect from the latest version of the game.

So I assume you renamed the 24.4 version of the DB to 24.3 and then pushed it? Didn't that create a conflict? How did you resolve that?
I am sorry, but this is amateurish.

Edited by b2khn

26 minutes ago, b2khn said:

When I try to start a new save, the game still says that it is using the 24.3 database. This is at least a mislabeling that I would not expect from the latest version of the game.

So I assume you renamed the 24.4 version of the DB to 24.3 and then pushed it? Didn't that create a conflict? How did you resolve that?
I am sorry, but this is amateurish.

I assume they used dbc-files instead of pushing a new database version, as they've done several times before. How does this impact you in any way? Why are you so cross about it?

1 minute ago, XaW said:

I assume they used dbc-files instead of pushing a new database version, as they've done several times before. How does this impact you in any way? Why are you so cross about it?

You should use proper versions of the DB and use coherent names, as this is not obvious.
A user of the game should start a game and not guess if he starts with the uptodate version of the db, because its name suggests that is still the old version.

3 minutes ago, b2khn said:

You should use proper versions of the DB and use coherent names, as this is not obvious.
A user of the game should start a game and not guess if he starts with the uptodate version of the db, because its name suggests that is still the old version.

I shouldn't use anything, I'm not employed by SI.

The announcement clearly says Database 24.3

Including the text:

On 09/04/2024 at 17:28, Kyle Brown said:

Please note: The database version number has not changed for this update and will show as 24.3

So yes, it's quite obvious, I'd say.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

I shouldn't use anything, I'm not employed by SI.

The announcement clearly says Database 24.3

Including the text:

So yes, it's quite obvious, I'd say.

Missed chance to do something right.

2 minutes ago, b2khn said:

Missed chance to do something right.

Now you've lost me. Why is it so important to you that they up the version number of the database instead of just using additional files to update the game? I just don't get it? What difference does it make to you?

14 minutes ago, XaW said:

Now you've lost me. Why is it so important to you that they up the version number of the database instead of just using additional files to update the game? I just don't get it? What difference does it make to you?

If you don't understand why it's important to use proper names in software development, I can't really help you.
Just read some of the comments and you will find examples of why it is not recommended.
There is no need to be technical about the way updates are applied, but the user of version 24.3 and another version with a different name (24.3.X or 24.4) should be released.
If you start releasing different versions with the same name, things will get messy, things will break, and there will be incomprehensible bugs.
You need people with highly specialised knowledge, to explain why 1 version is named the same as another, but they need the other version that they have.

Yeah, and just ot include something in a patchnote and then say, "We have done something the wrong way, don't complain", yeah that is low.

3 minutes ago, b2khn said:

If you don't understand why it's important to use proper names in software development, I can't really help you.
Just read some of the comments and you will find examples of why it is not recommended.
There is no need to be technical about the way updates are applied, but the user of version 24.3 and another version with a different name (24.3.X or 24.4) should be released.
If you start releasing different versions with the same name, things will get messy, things will break, and there will be incomprehensible bugs.
You need people with highly specialised knowledge, to explain why 1 version is named the same as another, but they need the other version that they have.

Yeah, and just ot include something in a patchnote and then say, "We have done something the wrong way, don't complain", yeah that is low.

Oh, I know how software development works, don't worry. What I don't understand is why you are bothered by it or how it affects you specifically?

The main menu shows what version of the game you're playing, as 24.4 and the Game Status within a save also shows the version you're playing:

ab2cb1db8d015ed0031a744a70e6f35b.png

The game distinguishes between the database version and the actual game version, and even the ME version too. Hopefully this helps so there are reference points for those who may be confused by this moving forward.

Any news on column widths changing constantly, and some column sizes just changing as you drag, or switch between views, some columns fly off to the right, some disappear entirely.

This has been happening for 15 years, and raised every single release, including this one. Every time it gets ignored. How can it be ignored this long?

SI even closed the UI section of the bug reporting forums so you can't mention it any more there.

51 minutes ago, chris72 said:

is it worth starting a new game with this final update? or should I just carry on

Carry on, pretty much nothing has changed.

1 hour ago, DiggingForOstrich said:

Any news on column widths changing constantly, and some column sizes just changing as you drag, or switch between views, some columns fly off to the right, some disappear entirely.

This has been happening for 15 years, and raised every single release, including this one. Every time it gets ignored. How can it be ignored this long?

SI even closed the UI section of the bug reporting forums so you can't mention it any more there.

Almost certainly one of two things.  It's either such low priority relative to other issues that it's yet to receive the sort of attention needed to actually fix it, or it's a lot harder to fix than it seems and they've yet to find a suitable solution.  Or a somewhere-in-between third option which is a bit of both - it would take too long to fix relative to its priority.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

It's either such low priority relative to other issues that it's yet to receive the sort of attention needed to actually fix it, or it's a lot harder to fix than it seems and they've yet to find a suitable solution.  Or a somewhere-in-between third option which is a bit of both - it would take too long to fix relative to its priority.

All three of your options are actually the same thing :lol:

2 hours ago, chris72 said:

is it worth starting a new game with this final update? or should I just carry on

Are you planning to manage in the US or China? Do you care that those leagues are up to date? 

If the answer is no, then carry on. 

15 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

All three of your options are actually the same thing :lol:

Well, no, not really.  Number 1 essentially means it's received no attention at all, because it's deemed too low a priority.  Number 2 would require a significant amount of effort already burned into it for them to decide it wasn't worth keeping going.  Number 3, as I said, is somewhere in between the two.

I do like very much the last update. For me, the most important is the match engine and although it is stated that the changes are minor, I see actualy big difference. What do I mean: In the previous version, the match engine was prety robotic. The passes were very quick and pinball like. Now, the passes, build up play are much smother. Even, the shots and GK saves feel more natural. 

I hope this will be the final update. 

And, for all the players complaining, this is by far the best FM version ever, and I played every single one since 2003-2004 CM.

8 minutes ago, damjanovski said:

I do like very much the last update. For me, the most important is the match engine and although it is stated that the changes are minor, I see actualy big difference. What do I mean: In the previous version, the match engine was prety robotic. The passes were very quick and pinball like. Now, the passes, build up play are much smother. Even, the shots and GK saves feel more natural. 

And, for all the players complaining, this is by far the best FM version ever, and I played every single one since 2003-2004 CM.

This is final update thou, I agree the game felt more fluid and my players sometimes even have bad touch which I like since the lower league should not perform near perfect. 

But I think it's more likely due to their optimization to make the game smoother not an actual Match Engine update. Can be placebo

The column width issue has had a number of fixes attempted over the years from SI. Unfortunately the issue has persisted. 

Closing the UI section to further bug reports will be indicative of the fact SI don't want players to waste time sharing bugs when there is no longer a need to do so. 

On 05/04/2024 at 22:17, kiwityke1983 said:

I said this early on in FM24's cycle when people brought this up, the more options I as an experienced FM player get given tactically the more my advantage over the AI grows and the more room for "exploits" there are if playing against another human or the AI and the easier it gets to win.

As awful as the sliders were back in the day they made the game way harder because there was some form of abstraction between my tactical ideas and implementing them.

Now especially with positional play I can absolutely destroy the AI because the abstraction has gone with the new tactical interface and so has a lot of the limitations on defensive and attacking shape plus rest defence.

Throw in the AI's struggles with squad building and transfers and I'm now lightyears ahead of it.

I think the need to give players ever more tactical control they demand and close the exploits this creates in the ME is basically an impossible circle to close for SI.

Not even touching on accessibility and keeping the game somewhat playable and fun for new players because you don't want people being put off by being absolutely destroyed every match they play straight off and or have to read 200 page tactical bibles just to win a game.

This is completely true. But the solution is not to dumb down the player experience. Instead it should be to improve the AI.

As a starting point, the AI should be able to copy the human tactics it sees that are working well. Just like many managers have copied Pep's. It's not a perfect solution but at least the start of a solution. Furthering on from this idea, if the best AI managers are able to copy the human's style in its entirety over time, maybe the less good managers can only copy certain elements. It starts to make you work harder. You have to then evolve your own tactic. And then they copy that newline and it keeps things tough. That and better AI transfers (especially youngsters) and you'd have a tougher game.

1 hour ago, ViG1980 said:

This is completely true. But the solution is not to dumb down the player experience. Instead it should be to improve the AI.

As a starting point, the AI should be able to copy the human tactics it sees that are working well. Just like many managers have copied Pep's. It's not a perfect solution but at least the start of a solution. Furthering on from this idea, if the best AI managers are able to copy the human's style in its entirety over time, maybe the less good managers can only copy certain elements. It starts to make you work harder. You have to then evolve your own tactic. And then they copy that newline and it keeps things tough. That and better AI transfers (especially youngsters) and you'd have a tougher game.

The AI does try and copy your formation if you become very successful but I don’t see it happening all the time. And if it does copy it won’t be “downloading” your tactic but adopting the themes of the system.

What the AI needs to do, and  this is where balancing is an issue, is adapt and react to your in game changes. For example, you are always sending 10 players forward for set pieces, then the AI needs to defend with 10 in the area. Tactically though it’s a lot more debatable how much it should adapt. Some managers like Gasperini, never adapt to what other managers do and others like Areta might play 20 formations in one game.

Ultimately as a start, what SI need to do next season is improve how the AI deals with defending set pieces. I am sure there are other areas that can be improved, but that would no 1 on my bucket list.

3 hours ago, ViG1980 said:

I'm not suggesting they should dumb the player experience down, I'm just doubting they'll ever make an AI anywhere near good enough to compete with humans.

20 hours ago, DiggingForOstrich said:

Unity for FM25 should fix a lot of UI issues (or potentially create more, lol)

13 hours ago, damjanovski said:

Yeah I've noticed this as well but noticed  this after the winter update and definitely agree this is the best FM ever, the type of goals and variety is insane, been playing fm since the beginning of championship manager. I've seen Players flick the ball off their chest to bring it down to play it off as a pass, first time looping volleys, Tony Yeboah type cross bar rocket goals, it's amazing

On 12/04/2024 at 04:49, Rashidi said:

The AI does try and copy your formation if you become very successful but I don’t see it happening all the time. And if it does copy it won’t be “downloading” your tactic but adopting the themes of the system.

What the AI needs to do, and  this is where balancing is an issue, is adapt and react to your in game changes. For example, you are always sending 10 players forward for set pieces, then the AI needs to defend with 10 in the area. Tactically though it’s a lot more debatable how much it should adapt. Some managers like Gasperini, never adapt to what other managers do and others like Areta might play 20 formations in one game.

Ultimately as a start, what SI need to do next season is improve how the AI deals with defending set pieces. I am sure there are other areas that can be improved, but that would no 1 on my bucket list.

Any examples where the AI copies your formation? I haven't been able to find any kind of evidence to suggest this is the case.

For example in one of my saves i used for a long time, a 4-4-2 Diamond but i didnt see any AI manager use this formation ( change his pref style to 4-4-2 diamond ) in the 10 years i won title after title.

So I think if the AI can indeed copy, it should be heavily buffed to copy it much more often and include more formations that it can copy.

Yeh I have never seen the AI copy tactics. I play a 4-3-3 with 3 DMs. I'm the only one in the world that does it and have won 3 CLs in a row. Someone should have tried it by now.

Normally I don't really care too much about the last data update but this year I was looking forward to trying out a Brazil save and thought Santos would make a great pick. Very disappointed to see that this year they haven't updated all the Brazilian transfers for the recent window. Now I have to decide between using a community transfer update or using the new real world feature I was keen to test out.

Anyone else feel its impossible to not win a championship on the last day ?

With 6 games to go I lost to spurs away to go level on pts, with 2 games to go I lost at home to Brentford for spurs to go 3 pts clear with better GD.

Last game I needed a win, Spurs loss and a shift in GD.

This happened....

final.png.676583fea8a1b324dbc9fb6d59dbab04.png

Which made me think in the previous update I had a leicester save where I won a title in the last gameweek twice overhauling GD.

2 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Normally I don't really care too much about the last data update but this year I was looking forward to trying out a Brazil save and thought Santos would make a great pick. Very disappointed to see that this year they haven't updated all the Brazilian transfers for the recent window. Now I have to decide between using a community transfer update or using the new real world feature I was keen to test out.

I don’t get why 100% completeness / accuracy on that score is so important. As soon as you take over you are creating an alternative reality. Note I’m not telling you it isn’t important, I just don’t understand why you think it is. I write as someone who has not played a save in FM using the default database for 20 years.

1 hour ago, NineCloudNine said:

I don’t get why 100% completeness / accuracy on that score is so important. As soon as you take over you are creating an alternative reality. Note I’m not telling you it isn’t important, I just don’t understand why you think it is. I write as someone who has not played a save in FM using the default database for 20 years.

Mostly just wanting to experience the situation the club is in. Real transfer mode, transfer window off, let's immerse myself in the scenario. I've done plenty of generic European saves before with and without teams/players that I know. But I haven't ventured to South America so thought it'd be fun to try and also learn about the club/leagues at the same time. It's not the end of the world when a couple of guys are missing, I'm just disappointed that I waited over a month for this specific reason and it got cut this year without warning.

Edited by Cal585

The dribbling in this game doesn't make sense, wing backs dribbling like prime neymar all the time no matter what you do and then we have wingers not winning their one V one like mbappe losing against a two star defender seriously his stats were bad how did he get that perfect tackle 

17 hours ago, Showerman said:

Anyone else feel its impossible to not win a championship on the last day ?

With 6 games to go I lost to spurs away to go level on pts, with 2 games to go I lost at home to Brentford for spurs to go 3 pts clear with better GD.

Last game I needed a win, Spurs loss and a shift in GD.

This happened....

final.png.676583fea8a1b324dbc9fb6d59dbab04.png

Which made me think in the previous update I had a leicester save where I won a title in the last gameweek twice overhauling GD.

I literally just lost the title on the last day having lost 2 of my last 4 games.

I won 5-1 but the team I needed to draw or lose won 3-1 and I missed out by 2 points.

I lost any desire to continue playing FM24. The system of developing juniors and giving young players a chance in the first team is one big absurdity. Even the great add-on from Daveincid doesn't help. Virtually every talented footballer purchased by an unskilled player has not been able to get off the bench for 2-3 years in his club, which often first paid a lot for him and then simply forgot about him. I played many hours of FM22 or FM19 and I don't remember such a poor system for developing wonderkids by AI.

I'm in my fifth season with the same team and still in the Vanarama North so I'm not feeling the vibe that the game is too easy overall. I feel like the old trope about 'morale manager' applies more this year than ever though.

Generally I find that matches are pretty close and when I have a bad run it's not because the AI is doing a great job with tactics but because I happened to lose a couple of narrow matches and then suddenly 75% of my opponent's shots go in match after match. Similarly there's parts of the season where this applies to my team. That's fine in aggregate stats maybe but inconsistent form rather than blocks of extremes would make it feel like the manager has more impact on the game.

I can see the small in match changes I make impact the engine and move stats in my direction a bit but that's not much good when the opponent has 3 shots on target and 2 goals and at best I can lose 2-1 or if I get things just right pull it back to 2-2 before the next match is a rinse and repeat. When it's my team's turn to be good again I can speed through a session of a half dozen matches barely needing to pay attention to highlights.

The last couple of seasons I've had a run of 1 win in a dozen followed by ten wins in a row without changing anything which feels a bit off.