Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

VERY hard to believe a world where 6 months into the save entire leagues have no head coaches, my scouting team (admittedly two scouts and a head scout) has found only 3 players, and I have to play with a 6 player squad (the rest grayed out), because no one will sign with us because the team doesn't appear to be strong enough. LLM is absolutely a NO GO in FM 24. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading about the problems in this years game but decided to start a long term save with the hope of them getting fixed before it becomes a problem.

Ive just reached my 4th season. The first game of my first season in the prem is against Man City. Their starting line up is full of players they started with at the start of the save!

I then looked at all of the Prem transfers in the first 3 seasons and you can count on one hand the 50m + big transfers. 

I feel like I have wasted my time so far! Very unrealistic

2 hours ago, dabest said:

I have been reading about the problems in this years game but decided to start a long term save with the hope of them getting fixed before it becomes a problem.

Ive just reached my 4th season. The first game of my first season in the prem is against Man City. Their starting line up is full of players they started with at the start of the save!

I then looked at all of the Prem transfers in the first 3 seasons and you can count on one hand the 50m + big transfers. 

I feel like I have wasted my time so far! Very unrealistic

Wage demands are absurd this year and players from big clubs are overvalued as always so if it's not Saudi most big transfers seems to be free agents. 

26 minutes ago, trviggo said:

Wage demands are absurd this year and players from big clubs are overvalued as always so if it's not Saudi most big transfers seems to be free agents. 

I mean not to say the game doesnt need some fixing but this is also becoming more and more the norm in todays football. Big names letting their contract run out and signing for free. In the last few yrs psg got messi for free, barcelona got lewandowski, gundogan, and Christensen for free. Madrid may be about to land alphonso davies for free if he doesnt renew with bayern, they may just end up landing mbappe for free too. 

me and my friends were recently discussing this, how football is moving more and more towards an nba/nfl-style free agency because teams just arent spending like they used to (minus the EPL)

gundo literally rejected citys renewal offer because he wanted barcelona but knew barcelona couldnt pay for him. 

Edited by Dadecane

Anyone else experiencing problems upgrading facilities? I know upgrading youth training and recruitment takes some time to be complete, but I upgraded them and I think it's a year now and the only thing that changed was the text saying "excellent", not the number. Same thing with the youth facilities, I upgraded, only upgraded by one value and I can't upgrade more.

53 minutes ago, Dadecane said:

I mean not to say the game doesnt need some fixing but this is also becoming more and more the norm in todays football. Big names letting their contract run out and signing for free. In the last few yrs psg got messi for free, barcelona got lewandowski, gundogan, and Christensen for free. Madrid may be about to land alphonso davies for free if he doesnt renew with bayern, they may just end up landing mbappe for free too. 

me and my friends were recently discussing this, how football is moving more and more towards an nba/nfl-style free agency because teams just arent spending like they used to (minus the EPL)

gundo literally rejected citys renewal offer because he wanted barcelona but knew barcelona couldnt pay for him. 

Different circumstances. Lewan and Gundogan are old. The likes of Christensen already exists through the "Explore options" status players can get, that's gotten quite aggressive since FM23 as well. I'm talking about players that no one can afford until they've taken up free agency and dropped their wage demands. Or players who have a year on their contract still being valued 100+ million. One such player exists irl and he happens to be the best footballer on the planet currently. The lazy Saudi implementation highlights the problem. Players wanna leave Saudi clubs because higher reputation clubs exist, but can't because their wage demands are 3-5 that of what anyone else can afford. So they sit transfer listed until they're released and then gradually over time have their demands lowered. 

2 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, we're making adjustments to the Match Engine in our next game update, which should lower the overall amount of goals being scored. Appreciate you raising this.

At least this means I may......just may be able to start my save at last :D

On 25/11/2023 at 15:01, Hoffbeck said:

I am going back to fm23.

I feel like every match is the same:

- Goals are always a result of set pieces.

- The amount og heavy touches and bad decision are to great

- Wingers are useless, and looses the ball

- 2. ball from defensive headers are never won by the defending team, and the structural aftermath after the headers leads to so many goals

- No one runs in behind the defensiveline of the AI

This is what ive been doing using the realistic mod on 23....24 is a farce,half a season i got-Paying 30 quid for a game and playing the previous version and even that needs modding -Pants pulled down again.....If i go the the shop and buy 2L of milk and come home and there is only 1.L in bottle i go back to store and recieve apology and options of my choice...Full refund or a full 2L bottle again,another apology from manager End of,but it seems here replace the milk with FM and its just accepted now for years lacklustre product to say the least all while the manager is on twitter bragging about sales?I blame myself,should know better at this stage....i do have confidence though on the patch-Surely this patch cannot be messed up....Get the patch and realism mod hopefully enjoy 24 for once

21 hours ago, Kevinho7 said:

Some info for the people who want to vote:

image.thumb.png.3b79aa7022b15a7e711f6e8ec30fa3a5.png

Personally I’ll skip this year tho for known reasons. Redeem yourself, step up the game, so next year my vote will be back again 🙏🏻

This game has now been a significant part of my life for over 22 years, and I still love the game very much. Only this year the game has been a letdown up until now unfortunately.

I dont think ive ever voted for any game ever tbh

I dont mind wage demands being mad, i think smaller clubs should struggle to keep key players more.

Its been far too easy as a middle of the road club to get players signing new 3yr deals in the past, but this year ive noticed a lot more players saying theyll "consider their options" and refuse extensions.

3 hours ago, Dadecane said:

45m euros potentially rising to 50m, not exactly free...
https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/football/first-team/news/2683853/agreement-with-bayern-munich-for-the-transfer-of-robert-lewandowski

I do agree though, free transfers do seem to be on the rise overall and IMO it's a good thing. Players signing shorter contracts and having more control over their careers and where they play would be good for them.

5 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

45m euros potentially rising to 50m, not exactly free...
https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/football/first-team/news/2683853/agreement-with-bayern-munich-for-the-transfer-of-robert-lewandowski

I do agree though, free transfers do seem to be on the rise overall and IMO it's a good thing. Players signing shorter contracts and having more control over their careers and where they play would be good for them.

Youre absolutely right. Lewy slipped in there my mistake. But yeah, someone mentioned about their age, it doesnt mean theyre not worth a good 40m’s. Gundo was argubly citys best cm in their treble season, completely indispensible to Pep who begged him to stay, yet he left for free. 

Would like for future versions that 3 at the back tactics be called how they're call IRL. For example 5-2-2-1 should really be named 3-4-2-1 , same as 5-2-1-2 be named 3-4-1-2.

I have yet to see anyone call these tactics 5-2-2-1 or 5-2-1-2 IRL...

2 hours ago, Napolitanos21 said:

Lets hope the early December is really early. Not something like 5/12 or more. Of course, it should also be a successful update.

we bought a different game than the one promoted to us. It's a shame and it's already too late. 

Definitely a shame 100%.

But on the other hand, they’ve delivered a game which got me hooked for over 22 years now since the good old cm days.

Imo they’ve deserved the benefit of the doubt as well tho to redeem themselves and prove us they are capable of fixing this and deliver us a good game after all.

I’d like to stay positive right now and hoping to not being let down twice in such a short period of time 😅

6 hours ago, Kevinho7 said:

Last year the major 23.2 update dropped on december 1st. Let’s hope this year it will drop on december 1st as well 👀

That way I can still put the last month of my inbetween jobs period to good use 😂

I hope not on December 1st , there are a lot of bugs to fix and these fixes will need more time.

54 minutes ago, Cle said:

I hope not on December 1st , there are a lot of bugs to fix and these fixes will need more time.

Since we aren’t the actual devs of this game and don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors i think it’s safe to say that we don’t know how much time is actually needed, or how much “more” time is needed..?

SI will release the update when it’s ready, and i’m just hoping that ‘ready’ will be sooner rather than later 🙂

Edited by Kevinho7

47 minutes ago, Napolitanos21 said:

They work for that game for months. They see bugs from early access before 40 days! 

How much time they want? The time normally it's over after full release 3 weeks before. Also they said from new year only 25% of their team keep their eyes on FM24, the other 75% focus on FM25. It's now or never. 

Agreed .... This will be a the update that matters . Any bugs after that , unless game breaking , wont be sorted until FM25 . So if you see a bug after the next update im doubtful it will be fixed in this release . Think they have been caught off guard a little and complacent that this was going to be the best release of the franchise before UNITY . 

Please make this stop:

image.png.5c2528f60ff8bad9490602a7b5052d64.png

It's October 2024. I have all US players loaded. There's plenty of real life talents in the game. There's absolutely NO reason to have 15-16 year old newgens in the US U20 squad. Either give them less CA/CR or make the AI less likley to pick underage players into the roster.

Edited by Viking
15 year olds, even.

7 hours ago, 2feet said:

“I feel like if I ever want to properly understand what an option does, I have to go on the forums where I will be met with 3 or 4 different threads containing posts by 11 or 12 different people with about 20 contradictory opinions between them. So I am left frustratingly resetting matches over and over again with different options selected to try and deduce what is actually going on.”

I do think this is the biggest problem with the game as a whole.

The way it’s so obscure and difficult to understand what an option does and how it should be used.

And that there is nowhere to practise what effect various options have on your teams performance eg on a training pitch, where you could potentially isolate the effects of an option to test out what it does.

You can only test out options in games of football where your teams moral is at stake or league points are at stake too. Plus there will be other factors at play in these games, making it difficult to know whether your teams failure is due to the option you selected or something else.

I think this is such a major flaw in the game I basically stopped buying it two editions ago.

No video game, if fundamentally well designed, should be relying on reams of posts on internet forums. It should all be in the game itself.

I agree 100%. I can't imagine a real manager giving instructions to his players without knowing what each instruction does.

An example of speech:
Manager - Ok lads, today I want you to pass into space with shorter passing and at the same time work ball into the box.
Players - And how exactly are we going to do that?
Manager - I don't know, just do them and if I spot any issues I will try to adjust my tactics over the next 5+ matches.

Well i Give up and unistalled fm24, playing fm23. I bought early version every year. And this year, for what? To see my team winning 10-1. So easy and so boring. Next year hope they respect early version to their real suporters. 

when they put dificult leveis like Civ6? So boring game. :( sorry to say that.

hope they release an update with realism and challenge. Good luck!

31 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Anyone know if this conflict will lead to bad performances, unhappiness, loss of confidence?

image.png.30f040403caf96566ffe64e9a7a17c73.png

I always thought it meant they'd shoot from range even though you don't want them to as player traits override tactical instructions.

But if that's true or not I couldn't say for sure.

9 minutes ago, tropicsafc said:

What an absolutely bizarre comment

Not at all, he's right there is a lot wrong in several aspects.

If this is released too early, with the priority of next year's game likely to take precedence, it will mean there very likely won't be many significant improvements for the last patch / final transfer update with this game which at this point at least, is seriously needed.

I have the feeling most of the changes are probably going to be implemented in this next patch, with the last only minor improvements to fix anything still considerably wrong with that transfer update.

2 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Anyone know if this conflict will lead to bad performances, unhappiness, loss of confidence?

image.png.30f040403caf96566ffe64e9a7a17c73.png

A trait is a tendency to do something more of or less of. It doesn’t mean he will do it all the time. Similarly with some player instructions like shoot more often. A host of factors affects players decision making stuff like mentality your other team instructions, a players attributes. In this case the UI is telling you there may sometimes be a conflict, this player has shoots from distance, so if he does get into a good goalscoring position that PI you have given him might have less of an effect than on a player who doesn’t have that PI.

Will it create unhappiness? No, playing someone in a position/role they are not trained for is more likely to create unhappiness, that unhappiness could blend into the calculations for the match engine. Unhappiness  may play a small part in the overall calculation since it needs to factor in a host of other things too that take more importance. The game does operate on a degree of ambiguity because human behaviour is essentially unpredictable. Hence why we have instructions in the game people want more clarity on. When you give a player an instruction, there is meant to be that degree of uncertainty. Will he follow the instructions? Right or wrong that’s been the game since 98.

Am 26.11.2023 um 21:30 schrieb Matej:

Not to mention that Klopp with his  gengenpress in Premiership won 1 title in 8 years. Just one. So please, i dont know whats Man City formation and tactic in FM ( control possession?)  , but it must be better by default then gegenpress. And belive me i really dont like Man City, but facts are facts. 

With a Team like City in the league it is a wonder any other club is able to win any title even once bcs you do not compete with a single club - you compete with a worldwide network of clubs and their combined worldwide transfer spending ment to feed the best players into City outclassing any other club in quantity of quality while ensuring these very good player in this Network will not play against City the same time making it much harder to compete at all with the goal to create a PSG or Bayern Munich situation in the Premier League as well.

Honestly Liverpool is a Poodle compared to what the Mastiff that is named Manchester City is able to do - they have not the brunt nor the means to compete with City aside of what Klopp wrings out of this one squad he has the duty to manage.

Denial of this situation will only harm the competition and play into the hands of Manchester City.

36 minutes ago, g1nh0 said:

If this is released too early, with the priority of next year's game likely to take precedence, it will mean there very likely won't be many significant improvements for the last patch / final transfer update with this game which at this point at least, is seriously needed.

I have the feeling most of the changes are probably going to be implemented in this next patch, with the last only minor improvements to fix anything still considerably wrong with that transfer update.

Only we don’t know what will be “too early”. I don’t think SI will release an update “too early” and risk many things not being fixed. 

Yeah there’s a lot wrong, and yeah it needs time. Only we don’t know how much, right?

So yeah I’d rather have the game fixed sooner rather than later. 

They release the update only when it’s fully ready. If this should be by the end of december, so be it. 
But what’s wrong with hoping this fully ready release will already be on december 1st?
Hoping it will not be on december 1st already because people are afraid that it then might not be fully fixed is a bit weird. They release it when it’s done, so no worries about ‘how much time is needed to fix things’ when we don’t have all the info about what’s going on and how fast the team works.

But yeah, I can get why the trust in a full fix is a bit low right now, given the state in which the game got released in the first place…

Edited by Kevinho7

vor 10 Stunden schrieb dzek:

I agree 100%. I can't imagine a real manager giving instructions to his players without knowing what each instruction does.

An example of speech:
Manager - Ok lads, today I want you to pass into space with shorter passing and at the same time work ball into the box.
Players - And how exactly are we going to do that?
Manager - I don't know, just do them and if I spot any issues I will try to adjust my tactics over the next 5+ matches.

I honestly do exactly that as part of my tactic bcs it influcences that passplay in an imo positive manner.

I use shorter passing plus playing short out of the defense combined bcs without it they simply hoof the ball to safety long and as my team is close to, around and in the box to defend i never pick up these balls and let the pressure on my box continue.

Shorter passing alone does not solve it but with playing out of the defense they suddenly start to pass short to a free player and either there is a situation to counter then they will counter vertically or there is none then they build up the play using short passing (in combination with less dribbling as they dribble way to much and that slows down the game and gives players a to long holding time of the ball as i want a rather short holding time and a healthy ball circulation) and i also enable wing play even i have only one WB (no inverted stuff) dedicated to the wings to make them play more diagonal as diagonals are the best way to open a coordinated defense as it stresses the players on two axes instead of only one thus increasing the chance for defensive error and misposition.

I also work the ball into the box bcs i found without it they take to many low chance shots and i start to score signifcantly less while conceding significantly more bcs a defended ball from a bad low chance shot allways offers the oportunity for the oposition to counterattack me successful as my team is obviously way high up the field in an attackung shape and it also offers them more chances to build up their play resulting in more scoring opportunities for the oppostition and you do not want that.

So it makes total sense to do ecactly that as part of your tactic!

PS: Funny thing is i am a Manager i do totally not care about possession and my teams usually often win easier with having less possession but with each FM my same tactic creates more possession and it started with pretty much 50/50 in FM16 and now in FM24 am at 60/40 to 65/35 but i have no means to change that bcs it would make the players do things i do not want them to do...well, not that of a hassle as long i stopped playing FM24  for the lack of a FM24 Light Skin!

Edited by Etebaer

41 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

A trait is a tendency to do something more of or less of. It doesn’t mean he will do it all the time. Similarly with some player instructions like shoot more often. A host of factors affects players decision making stuff like mentality your other team instructions, a players attributes. In this case the UI is telling you there may sometimes be a conflict, this player has shoots from distance, so if he does get into a good goalscoring position that PI you have given him might have less of an effect than on a player who doesn’t have that PI.

Will it create unhappiness? No, playing someone in a position/role they are not trained for is more likely to create unhappiness, that unhappiness could blend into the calculations for the match engine. Unhappiness  may play a small part in the overall calculation since it needs to factor in a host of other things too that take more importance. The game does operate on a degree of ambiguity because human behaviour is essentially unpredictable. Hence why we have instructions in the game people want more clarity on. When you give a player an instruction, there is meant to be that degree of uncertainty. Will he follow the instructions? Right or wrong that’s been the game since 98.

Thanks for that reply. I was asking because I sometimes see positives in the pre-match build up that say "X feeling good that Y instruction matches his abilities."

Was wondering if I'd get the opposite from this kind of thing. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

I'd not seen it up until now, but just had a full squad revolt. I've had a player moan about depth at DM, when he's a starting DM that moaned about another DM joining which really didn't make any sense, but now the captain (new save for what it's worth) has said we lack depth at LM, despite having 3 natural LM's and 6 competent at LM. Squad is full of wide players so it's not even an issue, we play 4-4-2 but more of a 4-2-4 as the wide players are actually AML & AMR. Literally all the squad bar 2 have the spt icon next to their names and are all in agreement that having 3 natural LM and another 6 that can play there isn't enough, despite not actually playing a tactic with LM :idiot:

36 minutes ago, Kevinho7 said:

Only we don’t know what will be “too early”. I don’t think SI will release an update “too early” and risk many things not being fixed. 

Yeah there’s a lot wrong, and yeah it needs time. Only we don’t know how much, right?

So yeah I’d rather have the game fixed sooner rather than later. 

They release the update only when it’s fully ready. If this should be by the end of december, so be it. 
But what’s wrong with hoping this fully ready release will already be on december 1st?
Hoping it will not be on december 1st already because people are afraid that it then might not be fully fixed is a bit weird. They release it when it’s done, so no worries about ‘how much time is needed to fix things’ when we don’t have all the info about what’s going on and how fast the team works.

But yeah, I can get why the trust in a full fix is a bit low right now, given the state in which the game got released in the first place…

Well due to the sheer volume and severity of issues at this point, and with this probably being the last substantial update for this FM ever, I actually think it's a bit weird wanting this final significant update rushed this time around because the priorities will now lay solely on FM25 and FM 24 will then be done with.

4 minutes ago, g1nh0 said:

Well due to the sheer volume and severity of issues at this point, and with this probably being the last substantial update for this FM ever, I actually think it's a bit weird wanting this final significant update rushed this time around because the priorities will now lay solely on FM25 and FM 24 will then be done with.

Haha yeah but that’s the thing tho. I bet we won’t want the update rushed because that could go at the cost of quality. But I bet everyone still wants the update be fully ready rather sooner than later. You know what I mean?
If not rushing means it will be ready later on, all fine. But if not rushing it means it could already be finished very early december, then why not? 🙂

On 25/11/2023 at 14:59, SaintEtienne said:

To a certain extent, I agree. Gegenpress is rightly a popular tactic, because when it is done well (e.g., by Klopp’s sides) it is a scarily good tactic. But I think the issue you mention is major rather than minor.

Gegenpress is a highly risky tactic. It requires superb physical and mental abilities for it to work well, as well as supreme team cohesion and organisation. When it is built on those things, it can be awesome. But when it goes wrong (when the players are suboptimal for it, or when the team has not been drilled to execute it properly), it can be disastrous.

The problem in FM is that this risk is just not reflected. In FM, gegenpress is simply a highly effective tactic no matter what. I’ve seen it in my own games. I’ve built fairly successful non-gegenpress tactics, but sometimes when my team is struggling I can just switch to gegenpress and results turn my way. Back on FM22, I built a nice midblock, possession-based tactic without too much pressing and, thanks to having a great squad, was highly successful. But even then, there were many matches in which we’d been thoroughly dominated in the first half, so at half-time I’d push the lines up, set pressing to maximum and watch as we played like a prime Klopp side in the second half. It’s almost like a cheat code.

The other issue with gegenpress IRL is that it is very difficult to sustain success over long periods of time: the mental and physical demands of the tactic take their toll (often in the second half of a season, and often too in subsequent seasons). And the extremely high levels of teamwork mean that losing even one or two players (to injury, to poor form) can play havoc with it. This is one reason why I rarely base my tactics around it. But again, this does not seem to be reflected in FM.

(As an aside, this is another area where the game does not seem to work in the way it says it does. Preseason advice is to hugely increase fatigue levels, because this will make players better able to cope with fatigue later in the season. But I see no evidence at all in the game that this works as stated. Fatigue is managed very simplistically.)

My final issue with gegenpress in the game is that it does not reflect how RL sides execute it. No side can press intensely for 90 minutes. Part of the difficulty in setting up gegenpress is drilling players to manage a match: knowing when to ease off to catch breath, knowing when to press ferociously, and so on. But in FM, it seems that gegenpress just means your players hare around pressing intensely from kick off to final whistle.

Gegenpress is a tactic that should require weeks, months, perhaps even a few seasons to get consistently right. It should require very careful squad building to get the right players for such a high-risk-high-reward set up. It should require extensive training ground preparation and match experience over a long period of time to get it working consistently well. But in FM, gegenpress is too simply implemented: it seems that any side, no matter the standard or abilities of the players, can get good results from it almost instantly. In other words, FM reflects the rewards of gegenpress, but very few of the risks.

Yes but imagine you selected gegenpress for your teams new tactic.

Then imagine nothing much happened for 6 months because of the time it takes to 'get it right consistently'.

Everyone would just say 'gegenpress doesnt work its broken'

1 hour ago, Etebaer said:

With a Team like City in the league it is a wonder any other club is able to win any title even once bcs you do not compete with a single club - you compete with a worldwide network of clubs and their combined worldwide transfer spending ment to feed the best players into City outclassing any other club in quantity of quality while ensuring these very good player in this Network will not play against City the same time making it much harder to compete at all with the goal to create a PSG or Bayern Munich situation in the Premier League as well.

Honestly Liverpool is a Poodle compared to what the Mastiff that is named Manchester City is able to do - they have not the brunt nor the means to compete with City aside of what Klopp wrings out of this one squad he has the duty to manage.

Denial of this situation will only harm the competition and play into the hands of Manchester City.

Im pretty sure that Man Utd and Chelsea spend in last 3-4  years more then Man city and their results are really bad. Pep and his formation, tactic, man managment is important. But i agree with you that so much money in some clubs are big problem in modern football. 

Edited by Matej

9 minutes ago, Kevinho7 said:

Waiting on the update really requires me to go into George Michael mode right now 😂

“Baby, I know you're askin' me to stay
Say, "Please, please, please don't go away"

“Because I gotta have faith, faith, faithhhh” ☝🏻

I'm almost definitely spinning the wheel....

2 hours ago, g1nh0 said:

Sorry I'm suggesting that it is completely bizarre to speculate on whether something is early or late when you do not know how long that thing is yet.