QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Heartwork said:

Needs some changes in attack. Saka been the only bright spark but going down too easily for this ref.

So we'll see Saka taken off for Mason Mount and Bellingham off for Phillips.

Saka has had a lot of the ball but he seems unable to beat his man tonight

12 minutes ago, Constantine said:

I like this ref. He let the game flow, doesn't blow the whistle on slightest touch...

Agreed, but when he does blow the whistle, he likes to make sure everyone hears it and likes to sprint to the foul too. 

France started the match way better, England's left side looked terrible, then the moment of brilliance happened and they stopped.

England grew into it and realized France isn't a better team. Had decent enough chances.

Two players are frustrating me, though.

Rice is just useless. I don't know if he's just another overrated English player or Southgate can't make him useful, but he's doing nothing. Doesn't offer build up options, has no passing range (had one decent pass for Kane), is way too slow to protect the defense when France hits on the counter and is just kind of there, doing nothing in all aspects of the game.

The other one is Saka. He obviously has class, but he needs to toughen up. Theo makes him look like a child whenever they match up.

Maguire is well, Maguire. He'll still hoof it thinking he's good at long passes, but what can you do.

12 minutes ago, Constantine said:

I like this ref. He let the game flow, doesn't blow the whistle on slightest touch...

Yep. I like how he's performed so far. Only blowing up for anything obvious, trusting VAR to support him if there's a need to.

It's how games ought to be refereed on the biggest stage. Enjoyed that as a half of football.

Whilst we have played better than most of our first half’s I think that’s because France have dropped deep once scoring which is bizarre. Should have gone for jugular.

For all Southgate’s talk pre-game about tactics to cope with Griezman and Mbappe, we are playing the exact same style and formation and tactics as every…single…game. He’s worked out his model and he’s sticking to it.

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

Yep. I like how he's performed so far. Only blowing up for anything obvious, trusting VAR to support him if there's a need to.

It's how games ought to be refereed on the biggest stage. Enjoyed that as a half of football.

As a neutral, yeah great. Just funny as obviously its England and everyone other sentence was about how bad the ref was. :D

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

France started the match way better, England's left side looked terrible, then the moment of brilliance happened and they stopped.

England grew into it and realized France isn't a better team. Had decent enough chances.

Rice is just useless. I don't know if he's just another overrated English player or Southgate can't make him useful, but he's doing nothing. Doesn't offer build up options, has no passing range (had one decent pass for Kane), is way too slow to protect the defense when France hits on the counter and is just kind of there, doing nothing in all aspects of the game.

The other one is Saka. He obviously has class, but he needs to toughen up. Theo makes him look like a child whenever they match up.

Maguire is well, Maguire. He'll still hoof it thinking he's good at long passes, but what can you do.

Yeah Rice has had a really mediocre tournament. He had started to win me over for West Ham but when I see performances like this, I'm just not convinced he's good enough to warrant the freedom to roam that he needs to do well.

He can't play well when he's restricted.

Decent that. As long as we don’t go 2-0 down, we’ve got 45 minutes to score against a team that haven’t kept a clean sheet yet. Rather that than a 1-0 lead and we are already camped on the edge of our own six yard box.

Still confident.

Pretty good so far, creating plenty of decent openings. Just been done by a top class goal. Oddly despite us losing im more confident of us winning than I was 45 mins ago.

Would look at taking Foden off for Rashford and running at France a bit more, Foden has done very little so far.

1 minute ago, Confused Clarity said:

Wtf. How do you explain Upamecano not having a yellow card, at least?

We’re so passive. Nobody making forward runs, everybody looking to cut in and pass sideways or backwards. No confidence in ourselves until we score a goal.

Saka not done enough with all the possession he’s had, probably needs to come off. Needs to toughen up a bit.

Just now, sc91 said:

As a neutral, yeah great. Just funny as obviously its England and everyone other sentence was about how bad the ref was. :D

Stating the obvious but you’d get it on any forum of any country where most of the people support that country. 

We've been OK but not created anything of note. Really need to improve out set piece delivery if we can't create anything in open play.

We need more from central midfield. I'd consider something like moving Foden to where Henderson is and then sticking Rashford wide left.

I do feel that France are playing within themselves and could crank it up when they want.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Rice is useless because he's left isolated in the middle while everyone else runs to the wings.

Just now, Weezer said:

We’re so passive. Nobody making forward runs, everybody looking to cut in and pass sideways or backwards. No confidence in ourselves until we score a goal.

Saka not done enough with all the possession he’s had, probably needs to come off. Needs to toughen up a bit.

This.  He's been involved more than any other player but done little.  Rashford on please

1 minute ago, sc91 said:

Get in the bin you bore, you'd be fuming at the ref if it was whoever you support instead of England.

Just now, RTHerringbone said:

We need more from central midfield. I'd consider something like moving Foden to where Henderson is and then sticking Rashford wide left.

Yeah, this was something I'd consider, it's a big call though - on 60 mins maybe

Just now, Smallen said:

Getting more replays of the Saka foul now… wtf is var for, man.

VAR is there to make sure there are no mistakes to be made against the team they want to win.

They probably dismissed it because too much time passed, but the goal should've been disallowed.

Since Cristiano is out, they will push Mbappe-Messi final narrative.

Just now, Bootador said:

Yeah, this was something I'd consider, it's a big call though - on 60 mins maybe

I’d agree with it but not a chance Southgate trusts Foden in a midfield 3.

The issue is Southgate is dead set on 3 central midfielders and there’s very few others who he trusts to play in those wider roles.

It will be Henderson, Mount or Gallagher.

so Mount.

I would go Rashford for Saka in about 10 mins or so.

For once I don’t think it’s imperative to change right now 

2 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

This.  He's been involved more than any other player but done little.  Rashford on please

Rashford would be a dreadful choice with France sitting in like they are. Saka probably the only player in the squad who can play inbetween the lines like he is. I'm afraid we basically need him to have a stormer of a second half here, don't really have any alternatives.

Looks like England are happy for Walker to not been involved in the game unless Mbappe gets the ball. Don't think England are good enough to play 10v10 against France. Henderson moving out wide to provide the job Walker usually would isn't working either because he's not very good on the ball.

Saka is useless when there's no space to work in.

Ref has been poor. Saka was fouled and so was Kane.