Match 3: Senegal vs Netherlands 4pm GMT ITV1 LIVE from the Al Thumama Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

Senegal

Mane out injured feels like a huge blow for them. Country best known for shocking France in the opening game of the 2002 World Cup.

Netherlands

Full of players who are quite good but do they have that bit of magic you need to go all the way? Very probably Van Gaal's last job in management.

TV Coverage

It's ITV1 for the first time this World Cup. Woodsy presenting with Wrighty, Neville and Big Nige De Jong. Commentary from Jon Champion and Ally McCoist.

World Cup Flashback

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.b109cb5e9eae61a07180ce79ddab3ee8.png

Some questionable choices, but it's Van Gaal after all.

Berghuis and not Koopmeiners who's been great this season is the most surprising one for me. Especially since Koopmeiners is left-footed.

Blind at wingback? Janssen up front?

All three keepers are wildcards, this guy is making his debut at age 28.

Should be a fun match.

Just now, decapitated said:

Any idea why Depay isn't starting?

Injured.

Just now, silentwars said:

According to Wikipedia the Dutch keeper has only played 45 competitive games in his career at the age of 28

I wonder if there is a shortage of Dutch goalkeepers…

Never heard of Andries Noppert before either. Wonder if he's any relation to the world #9 darts player Danny Noppert? Both from Friesland, only a couple of years between them... but they don't exactly look alike, so probably not. Guess Noppert is just a common surname in that part of the Netherlands.

Anyway, I fancy the Netherlands to win by the odd goal in five. So, a low-scoring contest compared to the last one. :D

Just now, silentwars said:

According to Wikipedia the Dutch keeper has only played 45 competitive games in his career at the age of 28

I just went through his career and up until 23rd of January he was always a backup keeper. Since then, he started every match.

Who knows, maybe another late bloomer story.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I just went through his career and up until 23rd of January he was always a backup keeper. Since then, he started every match.

Who knows, maybe another late bloomer story.

So... this is a bit like if England had Stuart Taylor in goal for the 2010 World Cup? Honestly couldn't have been any worse than Green or James. :lol:

Edited by CFuller

Just now, CFuller said:

So... this is a bit like if England had Stuart Taylor in goal for the 2010 World Cup? Honestly couldn't have been any worse than Green or James. :lol:

Kind of.

He's at Hereenven, can't say I ever heard of him.

But if there's one madman in who's judgement I trust, it's LvG.

Dumfries finds himself in another exactly the same setup more or less.

Poor midfield coverage on his side, physically challenged wingback on the other flank, meaning he'll be the guy surging in space and being the outlet for a lot of attack, which he'll finish badly, no doubt about it.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

The Ajax keeper Remko Pasveer made his debut in September and he's 39 :D 

Seems to be a Dutch thing. In 2010, they gave a debut to 39-year-old Sander Boschker and named him in their World Cup squad.

WORLD CUP FACT-WATCH

• Senegal’s only previous World Cup appearances came 16 years apart (2002, 2018), so no player has yet appeared for them at two different tournaments.  Five players that can achieve this feat today – Kalidou Koulibaly, Youssouf Sabaly, Cheikhou Kouyate, Ismaila Sarr and Idrissa Gueye.
  • Senegal’s previous best performance was the quarter final run of 2002.  In the post-WW2 era, they are one of ten sides to reach the last eight in their debut World Cup.  The others being Wales, Northern Ireland and Soviet Union (1958), North Korea and Portugal (1966), East Germany (1974), Ireland (1990), Croatia (1998) and Ukraine (2006).
  • Senegal’s top World Cup scorer is Papa Bouba Diop (3).  Nobody in this year’s squad that scored four years ago in Russia so they are all starting from zero.
  • Aliou Cisse is one of nine World Cup managers that have previously gone in the playing squad for the same country.  The others are Didier Deschamps (France), Dragan Stojkovic (Yugoslavia / Serbia), Gareth Southgate (England), Gregg Berhalter (USA), Lionel Scaloni (Argentina), Luis Enrique (Spain), Otto Addo (Ghana) and Rigobert Song (Cameroon).
  • Netherlands have the uneviable record of three previous World Cup final defeats without ever winning (1974, 1978, 2010).
  • Absent in 2018, so Netherlands only survivors from a previous World Cup are Stefan de Vrij, Daley Blind and Memphis Depay.  Coach Louis van Gaal was also at the helm for the Brazil 2014 campaign.

11 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

De Jong is a really good pundit.

Normally getting trolled by Keys and Gray on Qatari TV.

Krul is useless now but not having a keeper is normally a problem for lower tier nations. Doubly bad as you can't mitigate it by playing someone out of position.

Not taking Flekken despite his very solid performances at Freiburg has been quite a surprise here. As for the goalies that did get the call, Pasveer has been in horrid form the last couple weeks (but he has "experience" :D), Bijlow as always spent most of the season injured, so Noppert it is. Cilessen supposedly wasn't called up due to him being a negative influence when not playing and quite frankly if your competition is Noppert, Bijlow or Pasveer, I'd be angry at not playing as well! :lol: